PDA

View Full Version : Project Phantasy Star setting for 5e

Basch
2015-04-21, 12:54 PM
I've decided I wanted to homebrew a Phantasy Star setting for 5e since I couldn't find one through google. I've only gotten 3 of the races finished but was hoping for some critiques regarding balance between them. I plan on adding in more, including Beasts, Dezorians, and Lillipans as my free time allows. I realize the humans don't have a great number of bonuses, but in the series they have been pretty middle of the road. I will be using the spell point variant, referring to spell points as Technic points. After the races I'll begin working on weapons and armor.

Humans: Their strength, lifespan, and other characteristics are largely the same as that of humans in Earth, and their abilities are well-balanced
+1 to any 2 stats
1 bonus skill proficiency
can be any class

Newmans: are a race evolved from humans. They were created for research purposes, but eventually became a race of their own. They are generally smarter than any other race and excel more at casting Tech's rather than melee or ranged combat. However there are still a few that would prefer to fight on the front line.
-2 Con, +2 int, +1 wis and cha
Technic Affinity: On a short rest you regain 10% of your maximum TP rounded down (minimum of 1). If you do not have TP you cannot gain the benefit of this ability.
cannot use ranged weapons (except for handguns) or heavy armor

CASTs: are created and therefore cannot use Technics. They can, however, repair themselves quite easily and use traps to hinder their foes. In recent years, android has been considered an offensive term to the CASTs and has been replaced by humanoid.
-2 Wis, +2 Dex, +1 Str and Con
Nanobots: On a short rest, when you use Hit Dice to recover your health you regain an extra 1d4 health for each Hit Die spent.
Acute Scanning: When searching for traps or secret doors concealed by cloaking or invisibility you have Advantage on your roll.
CASTs cannot gain TP above 0 for any reason

Basch
2015-04-21, 11:30 PM
realized after I left for work I put this in the wrong forum. Could a mod please move it to the regular homebrew section?

Alent
2015-04-21, 11:58 PM
This looks like a cool project. Which Phantasy Star and which backdrop are you using as a basis? Classic PS, PSO, PSU, and PSO2 all have wildly different themes despite the vague similarity of the settings.

Basch
2015-04-22, 02:04 AM
I'm torn between after motherbrain's defeat at the end of 2, or doing something in the Universe era. I'm leaning toward Universe, but will probably end up coming up with material for both assuming I don't run out of steam.