PDA

View Full Version : Spheres: The Community World-Building Where YOU Are The Planets (Sound Familiar?)

Thunderfist12
2015-04-21, 01:54 PM
Look Familiar?

SPHERES

The Community World-Building Where YOU Are The Planets

Okay, so I know I failed at this last time I tried, but I had to redeem myself. I know I haven't been on the forums and all that recently, but I figured I might as well give this project my best shot.

Now, some of you might be confused as to what I am referring to. This thread to which I refer was, for a short time, Conquest, a predecessor of EMPIRE! (though not nearly as well managed). Looking back in my mind-numbing boredom that of late has seemed to take hold of me with a fierce grip, I decided to recreate this old project - but this time with a will to actually keep up with the upkeep (a little bit of wordplay there).

However, there is definitely a twist this time. As opposed to the fierce medievality of Conquest, Spheres will utilize a much more... advanced world type. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Spheres. Welcome to space.

Now, know that this does not specifically state whether or not it takes place in our universe. However, whether it does or does not, I would like to have at least one near-human race (or, if it's in our universe, humans themselves). Where this takes place is, like the rest, for YOU to decide.

The World-Builder's Resources

Spinning holograms will be added based on planetary description, generated off of dunjon's random planet generator (http://donjon.bin.sh/scifi/world/).

The majority of civilized planets, interplanetary dominions, pure wild, and rough colonies will be created entirely by the lucky fellow who happens to sign up and generate an idea.

Basically, there are no limits. Remember to detail which star/star group/nebula/black hole/etc. the area in question orbits so that they can later be grouped by system.

Civilized Planets: These are single-planet dominions (or groups of many dominions) where there is native intelligent life that can exist without support on that planet. These are always at a civilization of 6 or more.

Interplanetary Dominions: These are groups of multiple planets where the entirety of each planet (or at least the majority) is under the control of one government. These are always at a civilization of 10 or more, and follow a special set of guidelines (see spoilers below).

Pure Wild: These are planets where there is either no intelligent life or no life-forms capable of interstellar travel. These are always at a civilization of 5 or less.

Rough Colonies: These are planets on which the intelligent life is not native. Note that, even if a planet does have native intelligent life, it can exist in this category instead if the natives are not technologically or culturally advanced. These are always at a civilization of 4 to 6, but are capable of space travel regardless of score.

{table=head]Planet | System | Status | World-Builder
--- | --- | --- | ---[/table]

Each world-builder will have control over one planet, fluffing it out for the first three "rounds" and using it for actions that will determine the history of the world in the rounds that follow. More can be added in at later times, but they must spend their first round fluffing their region.

This will use four ability scores:

Civilization
Populace
Resource
Terrain
Roll 2d6 two times, 2d4+5 once, and 1d4 once, then place as desired.

These scores will only be used during creation, as a guideline for regional development, and very rarely later on in the process when a major change takes place (such as the rising of an unpopular political power or a decimating war).

1 means crude, unrefined, or otherwise undesirable. 13 means ideal, amazing, or otherwise desirable.

Civilization: 1 indicates hunter-gatherer structure, meaning no tribes yet. 13 means an incredibly advanced planet or an interstellar empire. If you wish to have multiple countries on your planet (or multiple planets), consult me first; they will require separate rolls.

Populace: 1 indicates underpopulation or overpopulation (special case) of the planet, a shortage of laborers, or a civilization on the brink of civil war. 13 means a fair distribution of people, a fair work distribution, a good economy, and a generally happy population. If you wish to have multiple countries on your planet (or multiple planets), consult me first; they will require separate rolls.

Resource: 1 indicates a shortage of necessary items, indicating frequent droughts or famines, lack of allies, or a shortage of natural resources. 13 means a surplus of provisions, strong national or planetary ties, or an abundance of natural and technological resources.

Terrain: 1 indicates horrible land for any purposes whatsoever, including incredibly hot (or cold) climate or an unbreathable atmosphere. 13 means an amazing land advantage and great resources.

You will describe the physical features of your selected planet, including at least 5 major landmarks. These will be based on your Terrain score, with better scores indicating better land.

You will describe the political infrastructure and culture of your people, as well as various traits that define them, such as superstitions, stature, intellect, general physiology, religion (or lack thereof), language, and pigmentation. These will be based on your Populace and Civilization scores, with better scores indicating more populace and higher standards for civilization and government.

Remember that you will also detail the leader(s) of your planet or group thereof and their motivations, ambitions, and tendencies. Requesting alliances during creation does not require an action for the first three that you attempt.

You will describe the resources, both technological and political, of your country, be it a wealth of gold scientific knowledge, strong alliances, or advanced weaponry. This will be based on your Resource score, with better scores indicating much more useful resources.

You will describe the actions your region takes. Each round gives five actions to each planet (groups with multiple planets are an exception; PM me if you wish to use an interplanetary dominion). No, I won't let you sneak five actions into one, just make them short and simple.
Example: Description of Actions as a whole.

Region X takes the following actions:

Declare war on Region Y
Unite all nations in its vicinity
Draft citizens into the space corps
Request alliance with Region Z
Manufacture a new weapon type

These example actions are significant enough to change scores, though not all actions will do so.

Elemental
2015-04-22, 03:12 AM
*Elemental looks left and right, sees no one else*

*links the planet generator previously mentioned (http://donjon.bin.sh/scifi/world/)*

Obvious questions:
Firstly, and perhaps most importantly, how long are rounds?
Second, if a person starts in a star system are they free to give rough descriptions of the other planets within it based on presumably centuries of astronomical observations? Example: Planet X orbits a K-type star with a distant and faint companion red dwarf. There are seven planets in addition to X including one large gas giant and two medium gas giants with several moons, etc. etc. etc.
Third, what level of technology is incredibly advanced? Can we go overboard with the science fiction and have warp reactors, nano-scale fabricators, induced telepathy, floating cities, true AIs and all those other fun things?

Vonwalt
2015-04-22, 09:37 PM
I like this idea a lot and I'd like to get in or whatever. Also, I have basically the same questions as the person above.

Thunderfist12
2015-04-25, 08:22 AM
*Elemental looks left and right, sees no one else*

*links the planet generator previously mentioned (http://donjon.bin.sh/scifi/world/)*

Thanks. I'll put the link into the first post right away.

Obvious questions:
Firstly, and perhaps most importantly, how long are rounds?

The first round will begin once I can muster at least 5 World-Builders.

For the first few rounds, probably a week or two apiece. During the summer, rounds will be taken at a faster pace, probably once every three or four days.

If one enters late, they can make up the Basic Creation Rounds that they missed (but none between those and the current round), but are later assumed to have just recently developed as a notable planet. Late introductions are not able to start as interplanetary dominions.

Second, if a person starts in a star system are they free to give rough descriptions of the other planets within it based on presumably centuries of astronomical observations? Example: Planet X orbits a K-type star with a distant and faint companion red dwarf. There are seven planets in addition to X including one large gas giant and two medium gas giants with several moons, etc. etc. etc.
Third, what level of technology is incredibly advanced? Can we go overboard with the science fiction and have warp reactors, nano-scale fabricators, induced telepathy, floating cities, true AIs and all those other fun things?

Yes and yes. Definitely yes.

By incredibly advanced, I mean they have reached the point where many seemingly impossible things are now practical (but not always common). For example, a civilization may be able to create life, genetically alter their populace, etc. etc. with very little restraint. There are things that I may deny due to circumstantial reasons and context.

Just to say it, DO NOT MAKE INTENSE DETAIL ON NON-ADJACENT PLANETS TO YOUR CIVILIZATION. This way, other planets in the system can be open to other players.

I hope that answers your questions.