PDA

View Full Version : making half casters 3/4 casters

CyberThread
2015-04-21, 02:32 PM
So we saw what noncasters look like if they pick a path that is half casting. Lets say paladin and ranger gets access to 3/4 casting. What is tje highest level spell you think they should access and what would that path look like?

GWJ_DanyBoy
2015-04-21, 02:55 PM
I'd say they'd get to 7th level spells, following the Multi-class spell slot chart.

Features? Harder to say. They'd need to be generally lesser than the existing subclasses. Maybe they gain access to cantrips and ritual casting. Ranger gets prepared spellcasting. High level paladin gets a version of Divine intervention. I'm not creative enough at the moment to think of what else they might get. A minor cast&attack ability of some kind.

Ziegander
2015-04-21, 02:55 PM
Huh. I say this is an interesting thought. Basically you're saying that since Fighters and Rogues have archetypes that add four levels of spellcasting to their features, why not add new spell levels onto Paladins and Rangers with archetypes?

It's certainly interesting, but I don't know, seeing how they only "sort of" gave Warlocks 6th through 9th level spell slots, if Paladins and Rangers should be allowed spells at higher levels.

Maybe they could get slots up to 9th level but no actual spells of levels higher than 5th? Then again, I suppose an otherwordly patron could be contrived and be balanced that allowed Warlocks to occasionally cast some 6th through 9th level spells through their pact magic slots. Maybe Paladin and Ranger paths could be designed to give them up to 7th level spells?

Person_Man
2015-04-21, 03:08 PM
I would say that spell uses per day and the spell list are a lot more important then spell progression.

For example, having Meteor Swarm once per day (9th level, but all it does is massive encounter winning damage, something either class can basically already do) is a lot less useful and interesting then adding some kind of spell use recharge mechanic (similar to Wizard or Sorcerer or Land Druid) and a few spells that add new roles (Enhance Ability, Counterspell, Arcane Eye, etc).