PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Lowering Save DCs?

soapdude
2015-04-21, 04:27 PM
Let's say I'm playing a wizard and the party fighter gets completely surrounded by mooks (to the point he can't escape). I'm pretty sure (via knowledge checks or what have you) that the mooks have low Fort saves vs the fighter's high one. Is there anything in the rules to allow me to voluntarily lower the save DC of the spell to ensure that my party member can more easily save?

Thanks

Douglas
2015-04-21, 04:34 PM
There is for caster level, but not for save DC as far as I know. You could cast a lower level spell, but there might not be one that does what you need.

I think allowing it as a house rule would be reasonable - let a caster voluntarily decrease the save DC of a spell as he casts it, but not below the minimum the spell could normally have (10 + spell level + modifier for the minimum ability score to cast that level of spell). It is definitely a house rule, though. Talk with your DM.

Telonius
2015-04-21, 04:40 PM
Temporarily lowering your casting stat seems like the way you'd have to do it, if you're not looking for houserules. Maybe a special "invent your own" Bestow Curse on yourself (-x to a casting stat for y rounds)?

dascarletm
2015-04-21, 04:40 PM
Contingent feeblemind to directly before they roll the save, but after the spell has been cast.... I'm not sure you can do that. Perhaps couple with delay spell.

EDIT:
Ninja'd kinda.

Instead two craft contingent spells. One bestow curse to when you say: "Hey Fighter!" the other remove curse to when you say: "Look out!"