PDA

View Full Version : IC: The Academy

MightBeABook
2015-04-21, 06:03 PM
Here at last, finally ready to enter, and seek your destiny, you stand before the towering silvery gates of The Academy. You have faced challenges untold, but now you stand ready for one greater than you have ever seen... greater, perhaps, than any you have ever imagined. Refuge lies behind you, Brand's followers having decreed some small degree of solemnity be maintained at the gates - for, as they and you know, few who have chosen to enter the dungeon you stand before have yet returned, and whispers tell of their ultimate fate: to be trapped in The Academy for all of time, pawns in the game of the God of Adventure. They knew the risk, as do you, but standing here, now, you cannot help but feel the weight of the immensity of your task, and the price of failure. Looking about, you see your companions. Be they stalwart allies or mere dead weight, you know not yet, but you know that they, too, shall be tested, in the trials to come. Lacking any words in this moment, together you stride, undaunted, into The Academy.

You find yourselves in an antechamber, a small room of stone perhaps twenty feet to a side. Before you is the obelisk of which you have been told, and behind it are the two doors through which you might begin your trials. Behind you is nothing but blank stone, and you know with utter certainty that the way out is barred to you now. You are The Academy's - you will succeed, or die. Flight is no longer an option.

The stone obelisk is chiseled with characters of unknown provenance, but through some strange magic their meaning is apparent to you. Welcome, traveler, to The Academy, stronghold and test of Brand. You have shown great courage in entering my realm, and such courage merits reward. I offer to you a choice of blessing, that you might begin your trials in as strong a fashion as possible. Behind this stone lie two doors, each leading into the depths of this place. Travel through the left, and find the first of the thirteen chambers I have set for all to conquer. Travel through the right, and be granted a boon of my power, increasing your strength now and forevermore. Beyond these rooms, you shall have no foreknowledge of what is to come, and you may choose but one. Be wise or be bold - each will serve you well here.

The two doors at the far end of the room are plain and unadorned, made entirely of wood, upon simple hinges.

bekeleven
2015-04-21, 06:57 PM
"We are here for boons, are we not?"

Leading the way was Janan. He wore no armor, for his troll-hide was coated in a flexible layer of woven metal. "Then let us take this one and see if it meets our purposes."

He walks towards the door on the right.

Janan is currently unarmed and in war troll form.

Nettlekid
2015-04-21, 07:24 PM
Inky black cloak wrapped around him, a round-faced Half-Elf stumbles forward through the monumental entryway and stares open-mouthed at the obelisk ahead of him. After looking over its words once or twice he turns to glance at his new allies, and lets out a cry of surprise to see that the entryway is gone.
So this is how it starts, huh? Pretty, but not a lot of fanfare. I guess too many have died inside to warrant praise for every entry. Now, a challenging chamber or a free bonus? Any guy who wields a weapon like that is probably confident enough to take on the challenge immediately. But that's a fool's game. The challenge will be there in time, but we're assured no benefits. Play the long game, find him as we go.

Nagi was pleased to notice that the laconic robot-wait, it was a robot, right? It looked different before. Was it organic? Or mechanical? Whatever it was, it was heading toward the door that didn't hold a challenge. Fine by him, lead the way.
"A-ah! Wait, hold on, hold on. Um, Sir-or um, I suppose, Archmage Fea'nor? I hope I'm pronouncing that correctly. Er, when we spoke outside of magical theory, you referenced your ability to cast a long-duration protective spell. I think that, um, before we get in deep at all, we ought to prepare to the best of our abilities. And I was interested in hearing about what you said about making short spells last long. My friend showed me how to cast this vision-sharpening spell, but it only holds for like a second? If you can make that last an hour, that would probably be of great help in this place.

On that matter, here, I have the wand I mentioned, the magic tattoo one. If I may? Let me know what pattern you'd like, though don't worry because it wears off in a day. Um, hold still, it takes about ten minutes for the magic to flow."

Nagi draws a dark wooden wand from the side of his Haversack, and reaches out to touch Fea'nor with it. Channeling the magic through himself rather than the charges of the wand, Nagi expends a packet of energy to Create a Magic Tattoo on Fea'nor, enhancing his magical power.
"Look! Tat buddies!" Nagi grins, revealing a similar temporary tattoo on his upper arm.
All of that was assuming Nagi and Fea'nor had had some kind of prior conversation to that effect. Also for the sake of completeness, UMD check [roll0], which I can't fail for the DC 15+CL (13) check unless there's some power blocking the magic, in which case, ignore the last part of my post.

Also, in any case where it's necessary, my Bluff is a flat 50. Changeling Rogues can Take 10 on Bluff whenever.

Thokk_Smash
2015-04-22, 12:02 AM
Keeping the rear is the tall catfolk. His gait is steady and lithe, and he seems to barely touch the ground as he walks. He takes in the empty antechamber with silence, reading the declaration with contained excitement. It is about time. Soon, I'll be known throughout the planes as the best. Maybe they'll hear about it, wherever they went.

He also walks over to the right-hand door, and waits for the magically-inclined members of the party to do their thing. This greenhorn sorcerer has some useful skills, but if he falls behind, chances are he'll be the first to go. Yet another fledgling getting in over his head, but hey, at least Tobias hadn't brought him along personally.

cigaw
2015-04-22, 08:18 AM
Fea'nor Dlardrageth, Fey'ri Wizard - 76/76 HP (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=153537)

Fea'nor began that day as he did any other; with a few prayers to Labelas Enoreth, Corellon and Mystra. This time, however, he added one to Brand. He then began the long process of fortifying his slender frame with powerful magic. Taking a deep breath, he changed his appearance to that of a silver-haired Sun Elf and then joined his companions and ventured forth into the unknown. And what an interesting mix of companions that was.

This first room was as he expected from the descriptions of the few who exited alive. The obelisk, however, was much grander. He subjected it and the surrounding room to analysis, looking for whatever information might prove useful.

His search is interrupted by the young half-elf Nagi, and the Fey'ri is rendered momentarily speechless by the deferential tone he used. Recovering quickly, he addresses the sorcerer. "Though I aim at one day becoming an Archmage, I do not rank that high yet, Nagi. And even if I did, my name would suffice when we speak," he says with a sincere attempt at a friendly smile. "Hold still a moment and let me work." He concentrates as he casts a protective spell on Nagi and strengthens it with the Weave itself. He then in turn allows Nagi to use the wand on him.

"I would advise caution in this unknown place. We have yet to test our mettle here and I believe the boon, whatever it is, should be our first goal".

Book, I'm planning on leaving my buffed stats in a spoilered statblock like this. If you'd rather have me list everything on the sheet, let me know and I'll do it. :smallsmile:
STATS:

• CL 15 (Ioun Stone, Magic Tattoo); 16 (Domain Spells)
• AC 27 = 10+6+4+4+3+1 (Touch 14, Flat 25)
• F/R/W = 13/12/18
• +6 Saves vs Poison
• +9 Hide
• Blinking: ready Action to Blink, full control.
• Immune to Magic Missile
• Immune to Ranged Touch attacks, Ray Spells, Ray Attacks from creatures
• Immune to metal and Magic metal. Pass through metal and ignore metal armor (unarmed).
• See Invisibility
• Low-light, Darkvision 140', Blindsense 70'
• Detect Magic
SPELLS:
• Metamagic Effect: 8/12
• Cooperative Metamagic: 3(?)/12

• [Persist, 24h] Shield: +4 shield, immune to MM
• [Extend, 30h] Greater Mage Armor: +6 AC (yesterday)
• [Persist, 24h] Spiderskin: +4 NA/Saves vs Poison/Hide
• [Persist, 24h] Ray Deflection: Deflects rays and ranged touch attacks
• [Persist, 24h] Ironguard
• [Persist, 24h] Greater Blink
• [Extend, 48h] Superior Resistance: +6 (yesterday)
• [Extend, 30h] Dragonsight (yesterday)
• [Persist, 24h] See Invisibility
• [Persist, 24h] Detect Magic
• Cast Superior Resistance on Nagi. Use Metamagic Effect to Extend it.
• Detect Magic in the room
• Search: [roll0] the room

infomatic
2015-04-22, 12:25 PM
"Hmf. As if we can trust in Brand to honestly tell us which way is safe," Fen'Gal snorts, her voice heavy with contempt. "And I have no interest in his boons. But one door is as good as another."

Tightening the armor straps on a protesting Wrack, she glances at her new allies … the two Elfskin-wearers, the swordsman, and the metal-creature. Like as not this was only sport to them, she thinks. And like as not, she reminds herself, they'd killed plenty of her kind in their time, for no better reason than they'd ventured into this place. But it's not as if Refuge was peopled with any friendlier faces.

She nods at the others. "So let's see what the braggart has in store for us."

For the record, Fen doesn't speak for me. I'm totally in it for the boons.

And if we're assuming that we met yesterday, Fen'Gal had her true seeing up then and would know Fea'nor's/Nagi/Janan's true forms, even if she doesn't recognize Fey'Ri or Changelings or Draconic Warforgeds. No reason to think she'd think anything was amiss about their disguises … it's not like a Druid's going to be suspicious of a shapeshifter … nor even to tell anybody else.

I'll do something similar on stats, but will have to update later.

STATS:
• AC 29 = (Touch 19, Flat 28)
• HP 132/106 (26 temp hp)
• F/R/W = 17/11/23
• +16 spot/+19 listen
• Low-light, Darkvision 120'

SPELLS:
Primal Instinct (+5 Init/Survival)*
Primal Hunter (+5 climb/jump/swim)*
Heart of Air/Water (50% fortification)*
Magic Fang*
Persistent Lesser Vigor*
Superior Resistance*
* = On Wrack, as well

Wrack
AC 31 (touch 16, flat-footed 25)
HP 136/110 (26 temp hp)
Saves: 17/19/12 (+4 vs. ench/charm)
Scent

SPELLS
Nature's Favor

bekeleven
2015-04-22, 11:57 PM
"Then it's decided." Janan pushes open the door to boons and walks inside.

MightBeABook
2015-04-23, 09:08 PM
As Janan pushes the door open, you feel an irresistible tugging at your navels, and the world dissolves into a blur of color. In a matter of seconds, the feeling passes, and you find yourselves standing together in a pitch-black space.

Those of you who can see without the need for light can see that you are in a wide, tall hallway, sized far larger than would exist in any place built by humanoid hands. Bones litter the floor, but no other creatures seem to be present. At the far end - perhaps a hundred feet away - is a similarly massive door.

You sense no creatures besides the party. See the Darkvision spoiler.

You sense no creatures besides the party.

Suddenly, you are struck with a sense of deep and vast strength, flowing through you. A voice echoes through your minds, "The Pact is made. I am The Academy. And you are now my children."

The sense of power departs as quickly as it came, but you feel as if it has left something behind.

The power seems to have made you very difficult to harm. You gain DR 3/-, stacking with all other forms of Damage Reduction.

Your mind seems to work even quicker than it had previously. You gain +1 Intelligence permanently. This is an untyped bonus.

Your force of will grows even greater, the divine energy lending a touch of steel to your soul. You gain +1 Charisma permanently. This is an untyped bonus.

Your body grows even swifter with the passing of the power. You gain +1 Dexterity permanently. This is an untyped bonus.

An odd sense of magical potency seems to be left in your mind - and you know that, if you wished to, you could rip away the defenses of any foe, if only imperfectly. You gain Find the Gap as a spell-like ability 2/day.

You are left alone in the dark, and know with certainty that now your trials begin.

[roll0]

bekeleven
2015-04-24, 04:35 AM
"Hm. Worthless - Brand is toying with us."

Janan continues walking through the room.

"Let's see if the next one is less disappointing."

cigaw
2015-04-24, 06:33 AM
Fea'nor Dlardrageth, Fey'ri Wizard - 76/76 HP (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=153537)

The Fey'ri inhales sharply as divine power surges through him. It lasts a moment that seems to stretch on forever as he feels his intellect broaden. Arcane pieces fall into place as he further understands the pattern of the Weave.

Fea'nor bends down to pick one of the bones up to examine it more closely, then concentrates on Magical Auras within the room.

"It would seem that The Academy is generous in its boons. Now onward to see how hard is is in its trials", he says as he begins to walk behind Janan. He can't help but wonder how such a fascinating creature came into being.

STATS:

• F/R/W = 13/12/18
• +6 Saves vs Poison
• +9 Hide
• Immune to metal and Magic metal. Pass through metal and ignore metal armor (unarmed).
• See Invisibility
• Low-light, Darkvision 140', Blindsense 70', half distance penalties
• Detect Magic
SPELLS:
• Metamagic Effect: 9/13
• Cooperative Metamagic: 4/13

• Detect Magic in the room
• Questions:

I'm assuming that the Ring of Spell Battle will allow me do identify the spells that Nagi and Fen cast, correct? How does it handle Nagi's False Theurgy?
Do I have any idea what Janan is? I'm assuming it'll be a Knowledge (Arcana) ([roll0]) check.

Nettlekid
2015-04-24, 07:54 AM
In the darkness, Nagi smirks a little, feeling even more confident and assured of himself.
"A-ah, is there something in here? I can't see. But I feel pretty okay." Nagi calls aloud. Moving forward, he steps on a rib.
"Aah! What was that?! Is that a...are these bones? Are we surrounded by bones? Ew ew ew, ahhhh, eugh!" he shudders. Kicking some away from himself, he pauses.
"Hang on, isn't this a safe room? With a blessing for us, or something? How are there bones here? If this room is non-hostile, how did so many creatures die?"

cigaw
2015-04-24, 08:15 AM

"The message on the obelisk only said we would be granted a boon here. There was nothing about how safe the room would be." Stopping for a moment, Fea'nor takes a small shining sphere from his haversack, bathing their immediate surroundings in a warm light, and hands it to the stumbling sorcerer. "This is somewhat delicate. Take care not to break it, if you will."

STATS:

• F/R/W = 13/12/18
• +6 Saves vs Poison
• +9 Hide
• See Invisibility
• Detect Magic
SPELLS:

• [Persist, 24h] Mass Lesser Vigor
I'm going to take what Nagi says at face value. No competing with that +40 Bluff modifier until I know more about his true nature. :smallsmile:
• Handing Liquid Sunlight to Nagi. Sheds light as Everburning Torch.

infomatic
2015-04-24, 10:34 AM
The boon's effect is immediately apparent to Fen'Gal, who glances down and notices Wrack gnawing painlessly on her ankle. She smacks him on the snout and he sits back, chastened.

"Foolish … he strengthens those who would challenge him," she says, and crouches to pick up one of the bones that Nagi had kicked. "As for these, perhaps they're for show. Or perhaps they were weaklings."

Heal & survival checks to see if she can tell how fresh the bones are

[roll0] heal
[roll1] survival

STATS:
• AC 29 = (Touch 19, Flat 28)
• F/R/W = 17/11/23
• +16 spot/+19 listen

SPELLS:
Magic Fang*
Persistent Lesser Vigor*
Superior Resistance*
* = On Wrack, as well

Wrack
HP 136/110 (26 temp hp)
Scent

SPELLS
Nature's Favor

bekeleven
2015-04-24, 03:06 PM
Janan stops walking. Once Nagi is behind him, he continues at the sorcerer's pace.

Thokk_Smash
2015-04-24, 04:00 PM
In the pitch-black darkness, Tobias keeps his hands on the hilts of his swords. The Academy claimed this as a boon room, but Brand is a fickle god. Tobias would not have put it past him to make his boons a challenge to get as well.

He grins at the sudden influx of power, and shifts around on his feet to accustom himself to the new feeling. I wonder what he considers the people who don't take his boons, he mutters wryly, though without much thought for an answer. The reasoning behind a deity's machinations are no problem of his.

He is grateful for the light, and he moves with the party as they traverse the bone-strewn room. He looks at the bones with a frown, wondering if he'd been right to think there might be challenges in this room as well. He keeps his eyes sharp as they make their way to the other door.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

MightBeABook
2015-04-24, 04:57 PM
The bones don't appear to actually be remains, but rather a reasonably convincing fake.

Your movement down the now-lit passage is relatively calm, though the massive scale of the place is still astonishing.

Suddenly, around the halfway point of the passage, a thick fog seems to form from nowhere above the head members of the group. It is impossibly thick, and moans and screams seem to accompany its presence. A tendril seems to snake down from it, grasping for Janan...

Attack:[roll0] + ??? vs. Flat-Footed Touch AC - it hits.
Damage: [roll1] damage + [roll2] Intelligence Drain.

Everyone roll a Will Save DC 23. You are Shaken on a failure.

Map here. (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=117108)

Change the transparency on the fog to make PC's visible. The fog creature is ~20 feet above the ground.

Surprise Round over! Everyone but Fen'Gal acts.

Nettlekid
2015-04-24, 05:39 PM
The darkness was coming out of the darkness. Nagi hadn't expected that. He was fully prepared for the skeletons to start reanimating, and was honestly a little thrown by the unanticipated threat. Seeing Janan struck by the mysterious entity, Nagi drops the Liquid Sunlight pellet where he stands (T4, hopefully not breaking it, but oh well if it does) and makes a small leap backward out of the fog and into the shadows (N7). He's unnerved, but the fear hasn't gone straight to his head just yet.

Hide check [roll0]
Move Silently check [roll1]
If necessary, Tumble check to avoid an attack of opportunity from the cloud. [roll2]

Trying to keep a low profile, he looks over what little he can see of the ephemeral creature with his Darkvision, and whatever's illuminated by the Liquid Sunlight inside it. No vital spots, clearly. Is this some kind of an ooze? Nothing he'd seen before. Nagi touches his hand to his collar.
Joker, any thoughts on this thing?
Your guess is as good as mine. Considering the bones, perhaps its a spirit? Some amalgam of ghosts? Those frightful screams make me inclined to think so.
Undead's the most likely, but I'm skeptical.
Then let one of those ones deal with it.
I'll let them take a lump or two, until I know how it attacks.
I notice you're still in range.
Heart or not, those Wings cut through anything made of gas. If it can see me, I'll be the last thing it sees.

In the shadows, Nagi whips out his Sorcerer's Hand crossbow (free action thanks to the Crystal of Return). He trains the pointed finger of the bow on the mysterious cloud, preparing his action to launch a Spellwarped Wings of Flurry if one of the shadow tendrils which struck Janan starts snaking in his direction.

MightBeABook
2015-04-24, 05:48 PM
One of the tendrils moves with startling quickness against Nagi when he attempts to escape the cloud.

You did in fact provoke an AoO, and didn't make the Tumble check. [roll0] + ?? vs. Touch AC - Yeah, that hit.
[roll1] damage and [roll2] Int Drain.

cigaw
2015-04-24, 07:16 PM

Fea'nor is surprised by the sudden appearance of the thick bank of fog. He reacts instantly, fading into the Ethereal Plane and carefully stepping out of the malevolent mist. He then backs away, trying to discern what it is that's attacking them and how they can fight against it. Unfortunately, nothing comes to mind. A most frustrating feeling.

Free? Action:

Blink to the Ethereal Plane
Move Action:

5-foot step (S3)
Standard:

Move 30' back (M3)
Full-Round:

Withdraw 30' (2*0.5*MovementSpeed) to M3
Gameplay Note:

My Shadow Cloak allows me to Teleport 10' away as an Immediate action if I'm attacked. Assume I'll do that next round. :smallsmile:
Knowledge Checks:

Arcana: [roll0]
Dungeoneering: [roll1]
Nature: [roll2]
Religion: [roll3]
The Planes: [roll4]
STATS:

• F/R/W = 13/12/18
• +6 Saves vs Poison
• +9 Hide
• See Invisibility
• Detect Magic
SPELLS:

Thokk_Smash
2015-04-24, 07:39 PM
A sudden jolt lurches in Tobias' brain a microsecond before the sentient fog descends upon them. His blades fly to the ready position, ready to defend himself if needed. The fear tries to seep into his mind, attempting to shake his resolve, and he sends it away with barely a thought to it. Whatever this thing is, it is nothing compared to other monstrosities he's seen in his life.

Anyone know what this thing is? he calls out, flipping backwards with a lazy grace out of the thing's grasp. Once he's far enough back, he settles into a half-crouch. His rapier is held at an angle above his head, his kukri in a reverse-grip below his waist. For one split second he is completely motionless, gathering his energy.

And in the next split second, he is as a bolt of lightning aimed at the enemy. His blades lash out, attempting to eviscerate whatever it is that is attacking them. When his attacks are done, he backflips backwards, putting space between himself and the creature.

I auto-make the DC 15 Tumble check (with a bonus of +23).

Move 40ft back, then Spring Attack. End movement after spring attack in A0.

Sacrifice 2 AoO's to make an extra full attack with each weapon. If this is an undead, my skirmish damage bypasses its normal immunity to precision damage due to Swift Hunter feat (Undead favored enemy)

AC: 39 (Touch: 26, FF: 30) (Increase due to Skirmish)

Rapier attacks (Adamantine, Ghost Touch)
[roll0]
[roll1] + [roll2] + 2 (due to Skirmisher's Boots) (+4 damage if undead)

[roll3]
[roll4] + [roll5] + 2 (due to Skirmisher's Boots) (+4 damage if undead)

[roll6]
[roll7] + [roll8] + 2 (due to Skirmisher's Boots) (+4 damage if undead)

[roll9]
[roll10] + [roll11] + 2 (due to Skirmisher's Boots) (+4 damage if undead)

Kukri attacks (Cold Iron)
[roll12]
[roll13] + [roll14] + 2 (due to Skirmisher's Boots) (+4 damage if undead)

[roll15]
[roll16] + [roll17] + 2 (due to Skirmisher's Boots) (+4 damage if undead)

[roll18]
[roll19] + [roll20] + 2 (due to Skirmisher's Boots) (+4 damage if undead)

MightBeABook
2015-04-24, 08:02 PM
While Tobias' blades seem to be partially deflected by some sort of force, and his Kukri seems to have difficulty making contact even once past it, he lands two solid blows on the misty cloud, from which you hear a horrendous screech of pain.

Rend Damage, unless I'm mistaken: [roll0]

Fea'nor's Ethereal withdrawal seems to go without incident.

The issue here was that you didn't make the 10 + HD minimum for useful information for the appropriate knowledge skill, not that you rolled the wrong one.

cigaw
2015-04-24, 08:51 PM
Disregard. Posted IC when I meant to post OOC. This has been a really long day. *sigh*
Can we tell if Tobias' attacks got through or if the thing is incorporeal? Those were a lot of dice rolls.

infomatic
2015-04-24, 09:00 PM
"Don't frighten yourself, lugijak," Fen'Gal grumbles at Nagi, still staring at the bones. "They're not real, not even good for sou …" she trails off, noticing the attention of the others is elsewhere.

Eyes narrowing at the appearance of the roiling, murderous mist, she places a steadying hand on Wrack as the beast snorts nervously and paws at the ground.

She made the save, Wrack didn't (rolls on the OOC thread). Lugijak translates to "flowers in the blood"

bekeleven
2015-04-25, 02:25 PM
"Of course it would fly."

Janan begins to shift. He shrinks down, and further down, until all that remains is a fluttering of wings and metal feathers. And he's off.

Regeneration heals 9 HP.
Swift action: Turn into Legendary Eagle (MM2).
Full-Round Action: Charge enemy. Gain full attack due to Bestial Charge feat.
Attacks: (Power Attack -10)
Claw [roll0] Dmg [roll1]
Claw [roll2] Dmg [roll3]
Bite [roll4] Dmg [roll5]
Armor Spikes [roll6] Dmg [roll7]

Legendary Eagle Form (Small)
20 Ft, Fly 100 (Avg)
STR 19 DEX 32 CON 21 INT 12 WIS 14 CHA 14
HP: 159/161
AC: 30 (+1 Size +5 Dex +6 Armor +6 Natural +2 Deflection +1 Luck -1 Flaw), Touch 18
Saves: FORT +19, REF 26 WILL 16
Attack Routine: 2 Claws +25 (+1 Size +11 Dex +11 BAB +1 Enhancement +1 Trait) 1D6+5, Bite +23 1D8+3, Armor Spikes +19 1D4+3
SA: As Warforged.
SQ: As Warforged, plus Low-Light Vision, Weapon Finesse.

Next 2 level unlocks some solid huge forms, so I'll be able to fight things like this from the ground.

MightBeABook
2015-04-26, 05:00 PM
As Janan approaches the mass of screaming mists, it moves a foggy appendage with startling speed to intercept him.

AoO: Touch Attack: [roll0] + ?? - Miss
Damage: [roll1] Damage + [roll2] Int Drain.

Janan's claws fail to even touch the mass of fog, some invisible force parrying his blows away from its body.

The roiling fog quivers a moment, and suddenly its tendrils lash out at the eagle, which seems almost tiny next to its bulk.

Touch Attack: [roll3] + ?? - Hit
Damage: [roll4] Damage + [roll5] Int Drain.

Touch Attack: [roll6] + ?? - Hit
Damage: [roll7] Damage + [roll8] Int Drain.

Touch Attack: [roll9] + ?? - Hit
Damage: [roll10] Damage + [roll11] Int Drain.

Touch Attack: [roll12] + ?? - Hit
Damage: [roll13] Damage + [roll14] Int Drain.

New Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=117341) - Can't change Nagi's picture for some reason.

Everyone may now act.

While it had been looking somewhat frayed previously, its form grows more defined with every blow it lands.

bekeleven
2015-04-26, 05:42 PM
The bird begins to peel away, feather after feather falling, then swooping around into a cloud. Soon the bird itself is obscured by the tiny flying metallic shapes, then completely gone, broken up.

Swift action: Turn into locust swarm.
Move 10 feet to the side; space should still overlap the cloud.
Swarm: [roll0]

Locust Swarm Form (Diminutive Swarm)
20 Ft, Fly 30 (Poor)
STR 5 DEX 21 CON 12 INT 1 WIS 14 CHA 14
HP: 117/161
AC: 29 (+4 Size +5 Dex +6 Armor +2 Natural +2 Deflection +1 Luck -1 Flaw), Touch 21
Saves: FORT +15, REF 20 WILL 16
Attack Routine: Swarm - 2D6+1 (2D6 + 1 Enhancement)
SA: As Warforged, Distraction (Living targets only)
SQ: As Warforged, Immune to Weapon Damage, Swarm Traits, Vermin Traits

Janan's fallen back on his emergency response. When he's almost killed, he instinctively gets much harder to kill. That said, he's pretty useless for this fight if his attacks keep whiffing and his armor's max dex prevents him from dodging any hits.

Nettlekid
2015-04-26, 09:21 PM
Seeing Janan's attacks prove ineffective, Nagi grits his teeth. He'd prefer not to blow his cover so early, but if the very first challenge this group faces isn't the sort that wit, tact, and stealth can get past, then he'd have few other options. From his hiding place, he readies his crossbow and starts muttering the words to Wings of Flurry.

Hold on, hold on! Nagi, hold up a second! Joker mentally scolds, interrupting the spell.
What? I'm gonna do what I do best and clock this thing right between the eyes. If it had any.
Not a good idea. Something's off. You're not thinking clearly.
I'm thinkin' fine.
I can feel your thoughts, no you're not. Was it that creatures attack? Your mind is slower.
What am I doing wrong? If my mind's so slow. Nagi scowls.
You're getting cocky. You think you'll hit just because it's unarmored. And yeah, your force-based spells will probably nab it even if it's a ghost. But that cat guy, even strong armor wouldn't have blocked that furious assault, yet he only got a couple of hits in. Did you see the way his hand slowed and the rapier was pushed, in midair? The ghost can block the attack somehow. It has some invisible shield. Don't blow your cover and waste your spells if you can't get through that.
Nagi pursed his lips. Joker was right, and he hadn't picked up on it. His mind was slower. Joker was smarter than him even at the best of times, but this was just getting ridiculous. Still, he had a few options, and Joker didn't interrupt him this time.

Still hidden in the cover of the shadows, Nagi takes a 5-ft step back (to M7), taking the target out of range of his stronger ray attacks and hopefully far enough that, if it could indeed see him somehow, he wouldn't be in its line of fire. And if it for whatever reason moved away from him, he could probably catch up, even if he had to get out of the shadows. He reached back and grabbed his Wand of True Strike from his haversack, and as quietly as he could activated it by using up his personal magical energy. His vision focused, and he felt like he could undoubtedly strike true against any foe. The creature would move once more, but he'd act to take it out the moment it did so.

cigaw
2015-04-27, 07:19 AM

Fea'nor's immediate thought is to turn to his chosen field of Transmutation. He begins recalling the incantations to haste his allies but stops short - he can sense them within the creature, but without seeing them, there's no use. He then calls upon fickle fate to foil the creature's attacks.

Free Action:

Blink to the Material Plane
Standard:

Casting Unluck (SpC 227) on mysterious fog creature thing:
• Divination School, not Mind-Affecting
• Will Save Negates (DC 23)
• SR Negates. Caster Level Check: [roll0]
• Duration: 15 rounds
• Effect: Target must roll twice and take the worst result for all dice rolls.
Free Action:

Blink to the Ethereal Plane
STATS:

• F/R/W = 13/12/18
• +6 Saves vs Poison
• +9 Hide
• See Invisibility
• Detect Magic
SPELLS:

Thokk_Smash
2015-04-27, 11:08 AM
Tobias glares at the creature, as its vitality seems to return to it. The old trick that Joran had taught him against undead and elementals seemed to have worked, at least--he'd seen enough of the damned creatures to want to make sure he can take them out.

I think this thing is an undead--either that, or it's some sort of fog elemental, he calls out as he readies his blades again. In a flash, he sprints down the hall, again appearing as a blur.

Once he reaches the creature's level, he bends his knees for a split second, muscles bunching and gathering energy. The next second sees him flying across the room; at the height of his jump, he is right underneath the creature. His swords flash out as he flies past, blades seeking to bring down the monster's renewed vitality before he lands on the ground across the room. He gets into a better position after, keeping his blades at the ready.

If Tobias' speculation is too metagamy, let me know.

After attack, move to capital-A8 (I had meant capital-A0 last time, incidentally). Sacrifice two AoO's to make an extra attack with each weapon.

AC: 39 (Touch: 26, FF: 30) (Increase due to Skirmish)
Rapier attacks (Ghost Touch, Adamantine)
[roll0]
[roll1] + [roll2] + 2 (Skirmisher Boots) + 4 (vs Undead)

[roll3]
[roll4] + [roll5] + 2 (Skirmisher Boots) + 4 (vs Undead)

[roll6]
[roll7] + [roll8] + 2 (Skirmisher Boots) + 4 (vs Undead)

[roll9]
[roll10] + [roll11] + 2 (Skirmisher Boots) + 4 (vs Undead)

[roll12]
[roll13] + [roll14] + 2 (Skirmisher Boots) + 4 (vs Undead)

[roll15]
[roll16] + [roll17] + 2 (Skirmisher Boots) + 4 (vs Undead)

[roll18]
[roll19] + [roll20] + 2 (Skirmisher Boots) + 4 (vs Undead)

infomatic
2015-04-28, 11:54 AM
Fengal grimaces as she sees Janan disperse into a mass of insects … surely bugs couldn't be expected harm this creature. "Janan! Why do you shy from the fight?" she calls. He hadn't seemed hurt, but she wasn't sure what an injured mass of locusts looked like.

Reaching into her pouch, she grabs a handful of ancient teeth and scatters them in front of the creature. "Remember your hunger," she rasps, and the teeth swirl into an opalescent set of jaws that strikes at the spirit.

Cast Spiritjaws … [roll0] and [roll1] damage, lasts 13 rounds. Recovering spell via Circlet of Mages

STATS:
• AC 29 = (Touch 19, Flat 28, Incorporeal touch 23)
• F/R/W = 17/11/23
• +16 spot/+19 listen

SPELLS:
Magic Fang*
Persistent Lesser Vigor*
Superior Resistance*
* = On Wrack, as well

Wrack
HP 136/110 (26 temp hp)
Scent

SPELLS
Nature's Favor

MightBeABook
2015-04-28, 06:53 PM
Fen'gal's spell seems to draw the attention of the insubstantial horror, and a tendril flicks out at her.

Attack of Opportunity: [roll0] + ?? vs. Touch AC - Hits
[roll1] Damage and [roll2] Intelligence Drain

The moaning and wailing emanating from the mist is drowned for a moment by a deep, malicious laugh, as your best efforts at harming it prove almost futile. Spells are shrugged off, swarms ignored, and nearly all of Tobias' blades are turned away.

It pauses a moment, its vile form drawing itself up around the Swarm that was but a moment ago its prey, before settling out. Then, with a speed belying its form, it flows through the air towards Tobias. A single foggy appendage flicks out towards him.

Attack: [roll3] + ?? vs. Touch AC - Hits Parried
[roll4] Damage and [roll5] Intelligence Drain

You all may act again. New Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=117780).

Nettlekid
2015-04-28, 07:28 PM
It's quick and it's too confusing. At this rate it'll whittle us down. I hate to come out of hiding, but when push comes to shove...
Nagi throws off the cloak of darkness, seeming to burst forth from the shadows themselves. He takes a few quick steps toward the gloomy monster, stopping a step away from Fen'Gal's fearsome dinosaur (r7). Already channeling the energies within himself, he triggers the Wand of Grave Strike hidden in the hollow chamber within his crossbow.
UMD [roll0], the DC is 16 so I ought to autopass unless something's jamming UMD or divine magic or whatever.
Crouching and taking aim, he points the outstretched finger of the bow toward the bulkiest mass of the creature. But with True Strike active, he might as well have fired wildly. He could see exactly where to shoot, even if that "where" barely existed. With a few quick arcane words, an explosion of transparent draconic wings whipped around Nagi's body. Instead of exploding outward in a vicious spiral they sweep around his body, down the length of his arm, and condense into a thin stream of magical energy projected from the tip of the crossbow.
"Still smart enough for this."
The beam flies.
Casting Wings of Flurry. Spellwarping it to change it from a burst with a Reflex save into a Ray with a Ranged Touch attack.
[roll1]
Damage is:
Spell: [roll2] (CL 13, +1 Magic Tattoo, +1 Sorcerer's Hand. Force effect should ignore incorporeality.)
Sneak Attack: [roll3] (Applicable only if it's both denied Dex from being hidden from, and is in fact Undead and not a gas elemental or something)
Sudden Raystrike: [roll4] (Technically not Sneak Attack so maybe Grave Strike doesn't let it hit, but it acts like Sneak Attack/Sudden Strike so hopefully it counts)

If it takes damage from the Wings of Flurry, then I believe it should also be dazed for a round.

cigaw
2015-04-28, 07:35 PM

As the creature moves Fea'nor has a clear view of his companions. He flickers into the Material Plane, reaching through the Weave to Transmute their very bodies, imparting them with unnatural speed. He then flicks his his ring finger on his left hand, withdrawing a twisted yew wand from his bracer, holding it at the ready.

Free Action:

Blink to the Material Plane
Move Action:

Move 30' to Q7
Standard:

Cast Haste (CL 16, Range 65'), targeting as many peeps as possible
Swift Action:

Draw Wand of True Strike from Wand Bracer
Free Action:

Blink back to the Ethereal Plane
STATS:

• F/R/W = 13/12/18
• +6 Saves vs Poison
• +9 Hide
• See Invisibility
• Detect Magic
SPELLS:

infomatic
2015-04-28, 09:38 PM
A haze comes before her eyes briefly, as she shakes her head once, to clear it, and finally the threat of the creature is made clear.

"Ah, it's turned you all stupid. Fine."

Still, it was stupid of her to have made such an obvious target of herself. Something a male would do. Lucky she was left with only a sore arm and the cobwebs in her head.

"Won't catch me again," she whispers, and feels her heart steel itself against the cold from the phantom. Beside her, Wrack steps forward again, and this time she doesn't hold it back but barks a command, and it leaps forward, spitting with fury.

Cast on the defensive: [roll0] vs. DC 19

Cast Sheltered Vitality on self, Wrack, both immune to ability damage/drain.

Move action to T-5

Wrack pouncing attack to 6-X (includes magic fang, haste, nature's favor)
[roll1] claw for [roll2]
[roll3] claw for [roll4]
[roll5] bite for [roll6]
[roll7] tail for [roll8]
[roll9] claw for [roll10]

STATS:
• AC 30 = (Touch 20, Flat 28, Incorporeal touch 24)
• HP 129/106 (23 temp hp)
• F/R/W = 18/11/23
• +16 spot/+19 listen

SPELLS:
Magic Fang*
Persistent Lesser Vigor*
Superior Resistance*
Haste*
* = On Wrack, as well

Wrack
AC 32 (touch 17, flat-footed 25)
HP 136/110 (26 temp hp)
Saves: 18/19/12 (+4 vs. ench/charm)

Scent

SPELLS
Nature's Favor
Haste*

Thokk_Smash
2015-04-28, 09:42 PM
Damn, this thing's fast! Tobias grits his teeth as the monster rushes at him, tendril snaking out to give him a deadly caress. Shifting his weight expertly, Tobias brings his rapier up and directs the tendril to smack harmlessly against the ground.

Can somebody else actually hit this damn thing? he calls out in frustration, noting how the druid's spell seemed to have had no effect.

And then the sorcerer's apprentice stepped out of the shadows and aimed his crossbow at the monster. A snide comment rose to Tobias' lips, which was quieted at the eruption of those draconic wings around the greenhorn. Or is he? Though he knows nothing of the arcane, he hadn't thought the half-elf to be powerful enough for something like this. But if he is, all the better--less dead weight.

Though the monster seems unaffected by whatever Nagi did, Tobias hears Fea'nor call out for him to come closer. Carefully tumbling underneath the monster, he approaches the wizard and then turns, readying his blades. The spell is cast, and he feels himself become even faster than before.

Hey, you little piece of sh*t, I'll make you choke on that laugh, he calls out, bending at the knees once more. His form blurs even more than before as he sprints towards the monster. He leaps, and his blades flash are barely visible as they cut at the tenacious monstrosity. He lands and rolls onto the floor, using his momentum to move further from the monster.

Move action tumble at half-speed to lowercase-o8. Ready action to Spring Attack after being Hasted by Fea'nor.

Run 20ft then jump 60ft, attacking at the apex of the jump, and then moving to capital-F1.

AC: 40 (Touch: 27, FF: 30) (Increase due to Skirmish, +1 dodge from Haste)
Rapier attacks (Adamantine, Ghost Touch)
[roll0] (Regular)
[roll1] + [roll2] + 2 (Skirmisher's Boots) + 4 (Undead Favored Enemy)

[roll3] (Sacrificed AoO)
[roll4] + [roll5] + 2 (Skirmisher's Boots) + 4 (Undead Favored Enemy)

[roll6] (Haste)
[roll7] + [roll8] + 2 (Skirmisher's Boots) + 4 (Undead Favored Enemy)

[roll9]
[roll10] + [roll11] + 2 (Skirmisher's Boots) + 4 (Undead Favored Enemy)

[roll12]
[roll13] + [roll14] + 2 (Skirmisher's Boots) + 4 (Undead Favored Enemy)

[roll15] (Regular)
[roll16] + [roll17] + 2 (Skirmisher's Boots) + 4 (Undead Favored Enemy)

[roll18] (Sacrificed AoO)
[roll19] + [roll20] + 2 (Skirmisher's Boots) + 4 (Undead Favored Enemy)

[roll21] (Haste)
[roll22] + [roll23] + 2 (Skirmisher's Boots) + 4 (Undead Favored Enemy)

[roll24]
[roll25] + [roll26] + 2 (Skirmisher's Boots) + 4 (Undead Favored Enemy)

infomatic
2015-04-28, 09:58 PM
Oh yeah, forgot about the teeth … they follow and get multiple attacks this round

[roll0] for [roll1]
[roll2] for [roll3]

The disembodied jaws pursue the spirit creature, gnashing at its smoky form.

MightBeABook
2015-04-28, 10:22 PM
While the roiling fog seems nothing short of contemptuous of the magic thrown at it, it is considerably less untouched by Tobias' dual blades. His assault boosted by the aid of Fea'nor, he rips through its form - and in an instant, the horrendous creature is dispersed.

Resolved that in the order Fen'Gal, Nagi, Fea'nor, Tobias. Wrack would have been after, but wasn't necessary.

You get 2340 experience apiece. For the curious, this was a Dream Vestige, from Libris Mortis. Incorporeal, AC 31, SR 28, DR 10/-, Ability Drain attacks, and a lovely ability for getting the drop on any party. Not sure it *quite* deserves CR 16, but it's definitely dangerous.

The massive hallway is quiet, in the wake of your victory.

Nettlekid
2015-04-28, 10:42 PM
Nagi breathes a shuddering sigh of relief as the horrific creature disperses, its energies deconstructed. His bow is still outstretched, but he brings it to his side, still staring blankly on in disbelief. It had been jarring to see one of his strongest strikes connect with the target to no effect. He wasn't even sure how it had happened. What would he have done next? He wasn't sure.

Hey. Hey. Nagi. Hey Nagi.
I can feel you thinking even if you don't consciously answer.
You didn't beat it. Didn't kill the thing. Also you blew your cover and you got dumb. You're still dumb. Nagi.
Nagi coughs, adjusting his cloak and standing straight.
The Undead cheat. They violate the core tenet of my operations: When you kill something, it no longer bothers you. An assassin excels at making the kill, he should be granted clemency for shortcomings in taking care of what someone else didn't kill properly the first time.
My cover is salvageable. Most of them won't even know what it was they think they saw. As for the dumb...
Nagi returns the Wand of True Strike clutched in his sweaty palm to his haversack, and withdraws the Wand of Restoration. Spending far more spell energy than he'd like to be on this very first room, he casts the spell and returns his mental faculties to their functional state. His head cleared, he takes a breath to compose himself.
"By the name of Boccob, that was horrifying! I suppose I should have expected as much from something as fearsome as The Academy, but to face a monster like that in the first room? My heart's racing. My Empowered Magic Missile didn't even faze it! But you, Tobias, with like the jumping and the slashing, that was pretty awesome! I'm glad we've got a strong warrior like you around."

Nagi looks around, making sure none of the skeletons are about to jump to life.
"Oh, yeah, hey. So um, when that cloud thing hit me the first time, I felt my head get a little...fuzzy? Didn't feel great. I wasn't the only one hit though, was I? Fen'Gal, I may be wrong, but I think I saw one of the blobs nab you. Do you feel okay? And um, I think Janan got hit a bunch and then disintegrated or something? Where did he go? Did the cloud turn him into bugs?
Anyway, if you're not feeling good, I can help with that. This handy-dandy wand is made to patch up anything from muscular injuries to brain damage. Only I can use it, though. So please, don't be shy, I'll help."

Thokk_Smash
2015-04-28, 11:30 PM
Tobias feels his blades catch purchase on the monster's tough hide...fog...stuff, and he smirks in victory. With both blades digging into the monster's side, he wrenches both free with a tremendous roar of exertion. As he rolls onto the floor and turns, he is rewarded with the sight of the undead creature dissipating into nothing.

And that, is how you kick some a**, he crows, sheathing his blades with a flourish.

He walks back to the main group, watching Nagi heal himself. The sorcerer is back to being wide-eyed and fawning, but for a moment earlier he had seemed so much...sharper. Like a knife just waiting to slide between someone's ribs. Tobias has been in enough life-or-death situations to recognize when someone has become serious, and a chill had ran up his spine when he saw Nagi then.

But hey, maybe he's wrong. Not like he knows what an empowered magic missile looks like, although he's not sure they'd look like dragon wings. At any rate, he takes the sorcerer's praise with an arrogant smirk, and has the audacity to ruffle Nagi's hair. Just stick with me, kid, and you'll get through this.

He stands by the side and stretches idly as Nagi heals the injured. As he does a perfect split, he thinks back to the battle. Not bad, but it could've gone better. There will surely be more difficult battles to come. I hope choosing to team up with these people doesn't turn out to be a mistake. Weren't they supposed to be stronger than this?

cigaw
2015-04-28, 11:59 PM

Fea'nor observes as the creature dissipates into nothingness from the safety of the Ethereal Plane. Breathing a sigh of relief, he steps back into the Material Plane and carefully returns the unused wand to its slot in the bracer. He walks up to where Nagi dropped the Liquid Sunlight pellet, trying to hide his consternation. Mystra and Corellon blast this. I should have been better prepared, he thinks in annoyance. And I will be next time, the old steel coming back to his spirit.

As he turns to face his companions, he looks at Nagi with some confusion and a half-concealed smirk on his face. Aglar, his treasured familiar, vibrated on his finger and spoke to him as the young half-elf acted. Wings of Fury. So his is a Sorcerer; what he isn't is middling. No matter, I have my own secrets and he may keep his for now.

"That was some astounding swordplay, Tobias," he says in sincere praise. "Your swords carried us today, and I am certain we will be better prepared to face whatever comes next", the Wizard says with confidence. "Hold for a moment. I shall strengthen the Weave around you and it will serve you well."

STATS:

• F/R/W = 13/12/18
• +6 Saves vs Poison
• +9 Hide
• See Invisibility
• Detect Magic
SPELLS:
• Metamagic Effect: 10/13

edit: Persisting Haste on Tobias

bekeleven
2015-04-29, 03:10 AM
After a minute or two of aimless buzzing, the insects in the air start to clump together. The clumps fly inwards, coalescing into a humanoid pile of metal, then fuse into the shape of some sort of metal, humanoid dragon.

Which promptly falls to the floor and doesn't get up.

Janan has reverted to his base form; stats are available on his character sheet.

He wasn't planning on spending any time in this form, but he's not at his best.

Nettlekid
2015-04-29, 10:51 AM
"Oh, Janan's back and not bugs. That was something. I still don't know what he looks like. But he's not moving. Is he dead? He must be close to it, he took several hits from the cloud. Let me take care of that."
Nagi heads over to Janan, and channels his energy again.
I'm burning through far more spells than I'd like. I've only got a few more. And they haven't even been that useful yet.
Honestly, I thought you were going to take advantage of his almost-comatose, not-exactly-lucid body to refuel your Soul Charges before you Restored him.
I had planned to, but these guys won't wait around for half an hour while I channel the spell through the wand. I'll use it on myself later tonight if I have the magic left.

After eighteen seconds of funneling magical energy, Restoration is cast on Janan.

infomatic
2015-04-29, 01:40 PM
Fen'Gal, I may be wrong, but I think I saw one of the blobs nab you. Do you feel okay?

The two of them crouched over Janan. She shook her head. "Still cloudy … but Janan got it worse. Is the wand strong enough for another?"

Nettlekid
2015-04-29, 03:46 PM
"Yeah, it'll definitely manage. Though I hope we won't have to use it for much more than this."
Nagi channels another charge, and over the course of eighteen seconds casts Restoration on Fen'Gal.
"I also have a wand for curing more direct wounds, and it's pretty efficient, if no one else has a suggestion on how we can do that. Those cloud-blobs make your head fuzzy, but they also hurt in a more conventional sense too!"

bekeleven
2015-04-29, 04:33 PM
Janan sits up. He rubs his head with a clawed hand, a sound not unlike sharpening a sword.

"That was... unpleasant."

He looks at his hand.

"Oddly freeing. I don't wish to repeat the experience."

He rises, stumbles forward, then steadies himself and begins to march down the hall.

MightBeABook
2015-04-29, 06:30 PM
Shortly after Janan recovers, a thundering voice booms through the hallway, its source clearly somewhere behind the immense door in front of you.

Pet? Your last feast did not take nearly so long. Return to me!

The very walls seem to shake with the force of the guttural speech, and the scattered bones rattle in a deafening cacophony.

bekeleven
2015-04-29, 07:22 PM
Janan turns behind him. "I believe Brand just fed us to a dog."

He points. "And behind that door is the master."

Standard Action: Cast Find the Gap
Ready an action to wild shape into War Troll, should the door open.

(war) TROLL FORM! (Large)
Speed 50
STR 35 DEX 18 CON 33 INT 16 WIS 14 CHA 14
AC: 37 (-1 Size +4 Dex +6 Armor +16 Natural +2 Deflection + 1 Luck -1 Flaw), Touch 15
FORT 25, REF 19, WILL 16
Attack Routine: 2 Claws +24 (-1 Size +12 Str +11 BAB +1 Enhancement +1 Trait) 1D8+12, Bite +22 1D6+6, Armor Spikes +18 1D8+6
SA: As Warforged, Dazing Blow (DC 27)
SQ: As Warforged, Regeneration 9 (Acid), DR 5/Adamantine, DV90, Scent, SR 20

Wild Shapes: 6/9 (5/9 if readied action triggers)
Find The Gap rounds: 1/13

Nettlekid
2015-04-29, 08:37 PM
"Well that's...discouraging. Wait, something OWNS the fog monster? That thing was really powerful, what's strong enough to be the master of a creature like that?" Nagi remarks incredulously.
"It would be awesome if we found a place to rest or something, but we're one room in and we have a long way to go. I think our only option is to keep going. I don't want the rumble-speaker to come in here looking for its dog. Here, before we go through, let me see if I can see what's on the other side."
Closing his eyes, Nagi activates the orange gemstone on his forehead, his Third Eye Sense, willing it to show him what's on the other side of the door.

It'll be dark on the other side of the door, which means I can see 10 feet in any direction. The Third Eye Sense lets me use "racial" darkvision, which I have from the Dark Template granted to me by the Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis, but it also says that magically enhanced senses won't work. So if you count the senses enhanced by the magically granted template magically enhanced senses, I can only see 10 feet (and will keep reusing Third Eye Sense to move the sensor 10 feet so I can scout around) but if you decide that magically enhanced senses means specifically True Seeing or See Invisibility or even the Darkvision spell, then I can see further.

cigaw
2015-04-29, 08:51 PM

As he falls into step behind his companions contemplating how to best prepare his spells for the next day, the very ground vibrates with the roar of guttural speech unknown to him. Janan's translation does not bode well for the group.

He looks around them, trying to discern any threats and feels the need to suggest the safest course of action. "If any of you needs to stop and rest after our encounter with the mist creature I have the means for safe haven, for well over half a day."

"Otherwise, let us investigate with care. If our entry to this room is any indication, we might not be able to scout ahead if we are pulled through the planes by our navels."

The spell offered is Rope Trick, by the way. :smallsmile:

I'd like to ready an action to Blink away from any attacks. If that is way too far ahead, just assume that I'll be blinking when we step through.

When we do, if the transition to the next room is the same as the entrance to the Boon room, I'd like to observe the transition to try to determine how it's being made, what plane we're being pulled through and what, if any, ill effects may happen if I go through while completely Ethereal.
STATS:

• F/R/W = 13/12/18
• +6 Saves vs Poison
• +9 Hide
• See Invisibility
• Detect Magic
SPELLS:

MightBeABook
2015-04-29, 09:29 PM
You can only see for about ten feet around the sensor. The floors of the room look much like the floors in the hall do, without the bones. You cannot see the ceiling through the dark, or any walls.

I'm going to need to know how far you'll scout with your sensor, and in what order you go in which directions.

Nettlekid
2015-04-29, 09:40 PM
Since it's a standard action to use and without limit per day, I'll just choose a direction at random (let's say directly away from us, so like there's us, the door, the sensor, and then the direction I want to go) and keep de- and re-activating it to hop along ten feet at a time. If I get to a wall without finding anything, I'll hug the wall (so putting the sensor ten feet from the wall) and go to the left, and eventually I expect I'll reach the corner of the far and left wall. I'll go around the room like that. If I still don't find anything, or things don't go as I expect, I'll describe it to the party.

"Feel free to sit down and have a snack. This might take a while. I'm scoping out the room with divination spells, but it's big and dark so I can only see a little, and I have to inch my way around. I want to see what we're fighting before we run into it. But if it gets tired of waiting for its pet and comes in here, we might have to fight in this hall before I know what it is."

MightBeABook
2015-04-29, 10:01 PM
While you see very little in the way of new detail with your first few sensors, merely unadorned floor, your seventh sensor is ripped apart by hostile magic in an instant.

A tremendous roar of unintelligible rage rips through the hall, originating from the far side of the door.

And for a moment, all is silent.

[roll0]

Nettlekid
2015-04-30, 09:25 PM
"Uh oh."
So er, not to put too fine a point on it, but are you SURE you fixed that hit you took to your intelligence?
Be silent. There was no expecting this. I still don't know what we're about to see bursting through those doors.

"Okay, um, guys, I suggest we take defensive positions. I was trying to scope out the room, seeing nothing, looked about sixty feet in, and then on the next glance my scrying sensor popped and...well, we heard that. It knows we're here. Which is really exactly what I was trying to avoid. So um, prepare yourselves. I suggest hiding. And if it comes in here, let's make use of that door to limit its movement."

This said, Nagi fades away back into the shadows at x0, back to the wall and eyes on the far door. In his hand he readies his Wand of Dimension Door, in case things go south quickly. He figures that if whatever charges through the door is too much to manage, he can warp into the (hopefully now empty) room it came from.

Hide Check [roll0]
Move Silently Check [roll1]

bekeleven
2015-05-01, 12:16 AM
Janan walks closer to the door.

He had to give Brand credit for one thing. The Academy made it very plain there was no room for diplomacy.

Stand 30 feet in front of the door, in the center of the hallway. Keep the same readied action.

Find The Gap rounds: 4/13?

Thokk_Smash
2015-05-01, 01:12 AM
Now that thing sounds nasty, Tobias comments, grin not showing any hesitation at the terrifying roar. He takes up a position near the wall, blades readied for whatever it is to come through the door.

He doesn't have Hide in Plain Sight, but Hide check just in case: [roll0]

cigaw
2015-05-01, 07:35 AM

As the second roar reverberates through the door before them Fea'nor readies himself for what's to come. He takes a position behind the group where his spells can easily reach them and fades into the Ethereal Plane.

"Something that angry is bound to come to us. Might as well wait for it to rear its ugly head."

STATS:

• F/R/W = 13/12/18
• +6 Saves vs Poison
• +9 Hide
• See Invisibility
• Detect Magic
SPELLS:

edit: Fixed Buffs Spoiler

infomatic
2015-05-01, 09:45 PM
Fen'Gal pounds the end of her staff upon the stone. "Listen, dolt!" she bellows in Giant at the doorway. "Brand put you here to be beaten! But you exist only to die by our strength! Come face your end!"

She places herself between Janan and Fea'nor and waits.

MightBeABook
2015-05-02, 06:53 PM
For some time after Fen'gal's challenge, all is silent. Then you hear the slowly thudding footsteps of what must be a truly enormous creature approaching the door.

A roughly humanoid figure nearly thirty feet tall stands on the other side of the door.

A creature with a 20 foot space, with the Giant type and 12 Int stands on the other side of the door.

Action Order: Just realized that three of you have Rings of Anticipation, not just one. Oops! [roll0]

Everyone but Fen'Gal and Wrack acts, then the foe acts, then everyone may act.

cigaw
2015-05-05, 06:21 AM

Sensing an imminent confrontation, Fea'nor gestures quickly and utters a single word of power in Draconian, channeling the Weave toward Fen'gal. The Druid jerks away, her movements faster.

Casting Nerveskitter on Fen'gal (+5 Initiative for the encounter).
STATS:

• F/R/W = 13/12/18
• +6 Saves vs Poison
• +9 Hide
• See Invisibility
• Detect Magic
SPELLS:

Thokk_Smash
2015-05-05, 10:38 AM
Barely able to contain his excitement, Tobias readies his action to attack whatever is on the other side of the door when the door opens.

bekeleven
2015-05-06, 03:35 AM
Janan takes a few steps forward. Is his skin...

Are there eels under there?

Move up 5 feet. Now 20 feet from the door.

Unclear how large the door is, but hopefully its swing arc is under 20 feet. If I'd get squished into a wall, let me know, ok?

Swap readied action: Transform to Urophian and take a swing with a tentacle.
This is a gamble. He may well be immune to ability damage, given his pet.

Urophian Form (Large)
Speed 20
STR 23 DEX 15 CON 20 INT 16 WIS 14 CHA 14
AC: 37 (-1 Size +2 Dex +6 Armor +16 Natural +2 Deflection +1 Luck -1 Flaw), Touch 13
FORT 19 REF 17 WILL 16
Attack Routine: 6 Strands +14 (-1 Size +2 Dex +11 BAB +1 Enh +1 Trait) Ranged Touch (Drag+Weakness), Bite +18 2D6+10

Drag: Strands move a foe 10 feet closer every round unless that opponent makes a DC20 Str or DC24 Escape Artist check to break it. Strands can be sundered (10HP, no AoO, +4 to hit if attached, but they regrow next round). +4 to bite bite attacks when a foe is pulled into reach.
Weakness: A foe hit by a stand takes 2D8 Strength damage (DC 21).

SA: As Warforged, Strands, Weakness, Extraction (Full-Round action to bite a foe with strands attached, allows a free grapple attempt, on success, eat brains)
SQ: As Warforged, Immune/Electricity, Low-Light Vision, Cold Resist 10, SR 30, Vulnerable to Fire
Grapple: +22

Find the Gap rounds: 5/13

MightBeABook
2015-06-01, 05:31 PM
All is quiet for much too long, as you all take your positions and ready for combat. As the seconds seem to drag on, the air explodes with a sound more horrible than any you have ever heard - not merely screams, but the most anguished, terrifying, primal screams you could possibly imagine, and it shakes your hearts to the core. It keeps up its steady, horrifying sound, ceaselessly assaulting your hearts and ears.

Make a Will Save DC 30 or be Panicked. On success, you are Shaken.

A positively enormous form shoulders its way through the door, sending the massive stone structures crashing into the walls and dealing obvious damage to both. It stands at least thirty feet tall, with coal-black skin and yellow eyes. It bears with it armor of sturdy black stone, and carries a wickedly sharp greataxe, though one apparently made for a being somewhat smaller than it. Swirling around it is a thin fog somewhat reminiscent of the fog-beast you just slew, full of screaming spirits. The giant looks indescribably furious.

We'll see about readied actions after your Will Saves.

EDIT: So, I remade the map, and totally forgot to link to it here. Good job, me. http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=123977

Nettlekid
2015-06-01, 07:35 PM
Nagi had expected to be startled by whatever had broken his scrying beacon, but he wasn't prepared for the sheer outright horror that filled him on a level he didn't even fully understand. Fumbling the Wand of Dimension Door in his hand, he drops it in x0 and makes a full sprint from x0 to a0, as far from the creature as he can get. He makes an attempt to hide in the corner, but running at top speed rather ruins the effort. Hopefully the monster is far enough away that the distance deters its eyesight. It's only now that he realizes his folly in dropping the Wand of Dimension Door. If the monster comes closer...maybe he can dart around it, pick up the wand as he runs to the other side of the hall, and activate it then? Or perhaps this is the time to use Greater Blink and dart into the walls...Assassinating the thing was out of the question. This wouldn't be an assassination, it would be a massacre.

Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]

Thokk_Smash
2015-06-01, 09:54 PM
Fearsome creatures, Tobias had counted on; enemies worthy of testing his mettle. Yet this sound, filled with every kind of anguish imaginable and even more pain, shakes him to his very soul. What starts out as a low hiss turns into a shrill yowl of fear, as he drops his swords and sprints full tilt down the corridor. Through the fog of terror-stricken distress, he reflexively attempts to dodge any attacks the monstrosity might send his way.

Taking -10 on Tumble check to avoid AoO's for moving at full speed: [roll0], moving one move action to a0.

Once he reaches the end of the hallway, he is given a chance to stop and scrabble his thoughts together. The sound, while terrifying, weighs less heavily upon him now that he is so far away, and he turns to face the creature once more. My blades, he thinks, glaring at the other end of the hallway where his weapons now lie. With a shiver of hesitation, he moves closer to the terrifying monster, keeping his guard up for the moment it begins to move.

Move to lower-case y0

cigaw
2015-06-02, 07:38 AM

No... nonononono... They've come for me. Thoughts of being chased come unbidden to Fea'nor. The voices and wails he hears conjure up faces of those who hunted him in the past. Horror is clear on the wizard's contorted face. His fingers slacken. He drops his dagger. I have to get out! Have to run!

He turns around and sprints straight back, fearing for his life and sanity.

Full-Round Action: Run to m6
• Movement: 4*Speed*3/4 (Blinking) = 4*30*3/4 = 90ft
STATS:

• F/R/W = 13/12/18
• +6 Saves vs Poison
• +9 Hide
• See Invisibility
• Detect Magic
SPELLS:

bekeleven
2015-06-02, 01:24 PM
"Should've seen that coming. Of course they'd desert me."

Janan's skin bursts into tentacles, which whip around him and into the giant.

Readied Action: Strike with strand
[roll0] (Touch). Attaches a strand.
Damage: Roll DC21 Fort save or [roll1] STR.

I'm beginning to suspect that a full attack would drop Janan in this form. He'll be shifting out at earliest convenience.

Find the Gap Rounds: still 5/14, this is a readied action.
Wild Shape: 4/9 used

MightBeABook
2015-06-09, 09:54 AM
As Tobias begins to flee, the great giant swings its massive axe down upon him with all the force of a mountainslide.

Fort: [roll0] - I am assuming this succeeds.
AoO: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Now, Janan gets to act. The order of resolution there was (Party Readies Actions) -> (Giant Fear, ruining the party's readied actions except for Janan's) -> (Start of Giant Move) -> (Janan's Readied Attack) -> (End of Giant Move) -> (Second Round Start) -> (Various and Sundry Fleeing, AoO included). It's Janan's turn, then the Giant's, then Round Three starts and the whole party acts.

Current map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=125473)

bekeleven
2015-06-09, 10:37 PM
Janan returns to his more normal form - that of a troll - and proceeds to lay into the much larger giant.
Swift: Wild Shape
Full-Round Action: Full Attack.
Claw 1: [roll0] Dmg [roll1] - Forces DC27 Fort or Daze
-> Crit: [roll2] Dmg [roll3]
Claw 2: [roll4] Dmg [roll5] - DC27 Fort or Daze
-> Crit: [roll6] Dmg [roll7]
Bite: [roll8] Dmg [roll9]
-> Crit: [roll10] Dmg [roll11]
Armor Spikes: [roll12] Dmg [roll13]
-> Crit: [roll14] Dmg [roll15]
Heal 9 damage.

War Troll (Large)
Speed 50
STR 35 DEX 18 CON 33 INT 16 WIS 14 CHA 14
HP: 126/161
AC: 37 (-1 Size +4 Dex +6 Armor +16 Natural +2 Deflection + 1 Luck -1 Flaw), Touch 15
FORT 25, REF 19, WILL 16
Attack Routine: 2 Claws +24 (-1 Size +12 Str +11 BAB +1 Enhancement +1 Trait) 1D8+12, Bite +22 1D6+6, Armor Spikes +18 1D8+6
SA: As Warforged, Dazing Blow (DC 27)
SQ: As Warforged, Regeneration 9 (Acid), DR 5/Adamantine, DV90, Scent, SR 20

Wild Shapes: 5/9 used
Find The Gap rounds: 6/13
Oh, and technically war trolls are monstrous humanoids, which is odd.
...Poorly.

MightBeABook
2015-06-09, 10:50 PM
The giant is essentially unfazed by Janan's barrage, though clearly more than merely scratched, and replies in kind with a furious barrage from its Greataxe.

[roll0] [roll1] - Assuming neither of these are 1's...

[roll2] for [roll3]
[roll4] for [roll5]
[roll6] for [roll7]
[roll8] for [roll9]

Did you account for Shaken in your attack rolls?

And the whole party now acts, including Janan again. Map is unchanged.

Thokk_Smash
2015-06-10, 04:45 PM
The monster's attacks are no less fearsome when looked at from the outside, and Tobias grits his teeth. Dashing forward at a more cautious pace than before, he still makes it to his blades in a mere second. Scooping them off of the ground as he goes, he takes a mere split second to sink into his attack position: half-bent, blades held backwards in his hands.

He rockets forward towards the monster, all fear appearing to have fled from his form. Yet he can still feel the lingering effects of the giant's aura as he lashes out in a flash of blades. He backflips away from the giant, snarling a smile at it. I don't know if you can understand me, but take that as the start of my payback!

Move at half-speed to the square with Tobias' blades, auto-succeed at the DC 15 Tumble for doing so. Picking up the blades from the ground as part of the move action.

Spring Attack, including -2 from Shaken condition. Sacrificing 2 AoO's for an extra attack with each weapon at full BAB. I moved 20ft, so Improved Skirmish activates:

Rapier (Ghost Touch, Adamantine)
[roll0] Normal
[roll1] + [roll2]

[roll3] Persistent Haste
[roll4] + [roll5]

[roll6] Sacrificed AoO
[roll7] + [roll8]

[roll9]
[roll10] + [roll11]

[roll12]
[roll13] + [roll14]

Kukri (Cold Iron)
[roll15] Normal
[roll16] + [roll17]

[roll18] Sacrificed AoO
[roll19] + [roll20]

[roll21] Persistent Haste
[roll22] + [roll23]

[roll24]
[roll25] + [roll26]

End move in lowercase-u2 (love that band :smallbiggrin:)

Wow, those rolls sucked.

AC this round is 40

Nettlekid
2015-06-10, 05:48 PM
Nagi pulls himself to a halt in the corner, clutching at his various bags and pouches, trying to think of an idea.
Nagi, Nagi, calm down, you're all over the place. This isn't you, this isn't usual for you.
How are you not terrified by this?! That screaming, it's eating away at me. It's not natural, it's like...magic screaming.
Magic or not, I don't get scared. I'll leave that to you with the adrenaline. So go on, hop to it.
This isn't a usual kind of situation! I'm not a warrior. I don't fight people, I kill people. If they're smarter than me, I overpower them. If they're stronger than me, I outsmart them. But in this hall, in this maze of a school, I can't play to my strengths. I can't just flee, I can't hide and wait because it'll sniff me out, and I can't just bolt it through the head. I have EVERY RIGHT to be frightened about this!
Look, just do what you always do. Did you think this would be easy? Make a plan and carry it through. Look, the zombie giant isn't even coming at you. The other guys are dealing with it. Now where's your wand?
Over there somewhere. I was standing next to the wall, so I'll follow that back over. I'll sneak over, grab that, and warp over to where the giant was before it came in. Unless there's something else in there, and I doubt anything in there wouldn't have followed this guy out, then I know where there's empty space to 'port to. I can scope it out, find where we can hide, and if it stomps back after wasting all these guys then he won't expect a Wings to the forehead when he sits down to eat.

Nagi decides to risk a slight hustle, moving at his full speed but not making a full run, to q0. As he approaches his dropped wand comes into view, but the monster is still screaming in the darkness. The pressure's starting to get to him, and he's not as good as he usually is.

Hide [roll0] (taking into account the -2 from Shaken and the -5 for moving at full speed)
Move Silently [roll1] (same penalties, though I don't know if the screaming makes this unnecessary.)

cigaw
2015-06-11, 07:43 AM

Hearing the sound of combat, the Fey'ri forces himself to stop running. He cannot let his companions die this way - he may have just met them recently, but doubts whether or not he can continue exploring The Academy on his own.

Slowly, Fea'nor manages to turn around and face his opponent. He can see the Giant's terrifying form wailing on Janan while Tobias darts in for a flurry of attacks. This is not going well.

Touching a thumb to his belt, he feels a familiar surge of speed and advances, closing in the distance. As he moves, he shouts to his companions "Be wary of the Death Giant! His kind can Dispel the Weave and call upon fell Fire!" His limbs are still shaking, but most of the terror is gone. Labelas willing, my aim will be true.

Once within range, Fea'nor's hands move in the intricate necromantic patterns needed to exhaust his foe. A black ray springs forth from his outstretched fingers and within the blink of an eye, a second one follows the first.

Free: Blink to Material
Move: 30' to s5
Swift: Activate Belt of Battle (1 charge for extra Move)
Move: 20' to w5
Standard: Cast Split Ray of Exhaustion vs Death Giant

Ray 1: [roll0] vs Touch AC, Fort DC 23 vs Exhausted (Fatigued on Save)
Ray 2: [roll1] vs Touch AC, Fort DC 23 vs Exhausted (Fatigued on Save)
If both Rays hits, target is Exhausted (-6 Str, -6 Dex, Move at Half speed)
Free: Blink to Ethereal

STATS:

• AC 28 = 10+6+4+4+3+1 (Touch 14, Flat 25)
• F/R/W = 13/12/18
• +6 Saves vs Poison
• +9 Hide
• See Invisibility
• Detect Magic
SPELLS:

infomatic
2015-06-14, 09:34 AM
Involuntarily, Fen'Gal covers her ears to ward off the creature's wailing, though inwardly she realizes it will do little good — the sound goes right through to her soul, it seems. Her heart sinks as she sees the others turn tail, but her spirit returns as Wrack bellows a hunting cry — the dinosaur seems more angry than frightened at the giant's doleful cacophony.

"Good boy. Now hold just a moment …" she wanted to soften up the giant a bit first. Stepping behind Wrack to ward off any attacks, she stares into the huge, blank eyes of the giant, and feels her mouth burn as a curse forms in her throat.

"Pfutt! SHUT UP!"

Casting on the defensive …

[roll0] Blinding spittle vs. Touch AC, includes penalties from spell/shaken, no-save blind if hits.

bekeleven
2015-06-15, 01:14 AM
Janan steps back, reeling from the assault. "You're six times my size and you still need an axe?"

OK, a boring turn. 5FS back 1 square and full attack again.
Attacks last turn hit, so power attack at -3. (includes Shaken)
Claw 1: [roll0] Dmg [roll1] - Forces DC27 Fort or Daze
-> Crit: [roll2] Dmg [roll3]
Claw 2: [roll4] Dmg [roll5] - Forces DC27 Fort or Daze
-> Crit: [roll6] Dmg [roll7]
Bite: [roll8] Dmg [roll9]
-> Crit: [roll10] Dmg [roll11]
Armor Spikes: [roll12] Dmg [roll13] <-I think I calculated this wrong last turn, it should be 7 under my primary hits (-5 off-hand, -1 losing bonus from brawler trait, -1 penalty from brawler trait)
-> Crit: [roll14] Dmg [roll15]
Regenerate 9.

HP: 44

Find The Gap rounds: 7/13

MightBeABook
2015-06-15, 08:03 AM
The giant does not respond well to your ever-increasing assault. It is clearly vastly weakened by your attacks, blind and exhausted, but it only seems to be getting angrier. With an incomprehensible bellow of pure rage, it calls down a massive column of fire on the foes closest to it.

[roll[1d20[/roll]
[roll0]

Maximized Flame Strike SLA deals 90 damage to Fen'Gal, Wrack, and Janan. Half is subject to fire resist, the other half is not. Reflex DC 22 for half damage.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=126610)

MightBeABook
2015-06-15, 08:04 AM
This was the Fort Save against Janan's attack, by the way: [roll0]

Thokk_Smash
2015-06-15, 01:29 PM
Oh, quit your whining! You and your little pet started this whole thing!

Tobias sprints toward the giant again, body bent until he is nearly parallel to the ground. Whatever the druid had done seemed to have worked--although still bellowing and wailing, it seems the giant can no longer see them all. Taking advantage of its newfound debility, he gets up close and dares to jump onto the creature's legs--thick as tree trunks as they are, and with his sandals, he can easily find purchase. His swords lash out at its legs, searching for tendons and ligaments to sever before he bounds back away.

Spring Attack. I think I remember somewhere that if a creature is more than 2 sizes larger than you, then you can enter its square. It's more for flavor than anything, since Tobias is moving away from it anyway. Balance check to "balance" on its legs: [roll0]

Sacrificing two AoO's for extra attacks. Including -2 penalty from being shaken.

Rapier (Adamantine, Ghost Touch)
[roll1] Regular
[roll2] + [roll3]

[roll4]Haste
[roll5] + [roll6]

[roll7] Sacrificed AoO
[roll8] + [roll9]

[roll10]
[roll11] + [roll12]

[roll13]
[roll14] + [roll15]

Kukri (Cold Iron)
[roll16] Regular
[roll17] + [roll18]

[roll19] Haste
[roll20] + [roll21]

[roll22] Sacrificed AoO
[roll23] + [roll24]

[roll25]
[roll26] + [roll27]

End movement in y0. AC this round is 40.

infomatic
2015-06-22, 01:21 PM
Her smirk at the giant's rage is erased by the column of fire that drops on her head, raising angry-looking blisters along her arms and turning a chunk of her dark hair to ash in an instant. Wrack, more than a little faster than she, darts aside.

Her grin turning to a snarl, she smacks the dinosaur on the shoulder and cries, "Inras! Make him pay for that!" The dinosaur's leaps forward, its claws and teeth flashing.

Casting on the defensive: [roll0] (doesn't include shaken penalty) although the giant can't take AOOs while blinded

Swift action: Cast Nature's Favor (+4 atk/dmg) on Wrack, 1 min duration

Standard action: Cast Venomfire on Wrack, 13 hour duration

Wrack action: Pounce (rolls don't include charge/shaken, which offset each other)

[roll1] Claw for [roll2] and [roll3] acid and Poison DC21 [roll4] dex dmg.
[roll5] Claw for [roll6] and [roll7] acid and Poison DC21 [roll8] dex dmg.
[roll9] bite for [roll10]
[roll11] tail for [roll12] and [roll13] acid and Poison DC21 [roll14] dex dmg.

Fen'gal: 89/129 HP
AC: 29, touch 19, ff 28, incorporeal touch 23

Wrack: 136/110 HP
AC: AC 29, touch 16, ff 23

bekeleven
2015-06-22, 06:40 PM
Bellowing in Giant, Janan takes another two scoops of flesh.
No, you're pretty sure those aren't real words.
Power attack at -3. (includes Shaken)
Claw 1: [roll0]Dmg [roll1] - Forces DC27 Fort or Daze
Claw 2: [roll2]Dmg [roll3] - Forces DC27 Fort or Daze
Bite: [roll4] Dmg [roll5]
Armor Spikes: [roll6] Dmg [roll7]
Regenerate 9.

HP: 18

Find The Gap rounds: 8/13

Nettlekid
2015-06-22, 07:36 PM
Continuing to sidle along the wall, Nagi makes his way to x0. With but a thought he burns a charge from his Belt of Battle to grant himself the extra alacrity to snatch his dropped Wand of Dimension Door from the ground, before surveying the scene.
If I had the capacity for it, I'd be surprised. It looks like your token ensemble is actually chipping away at that behemoth. You could probably take it out with a final shot, or lay it low and make it easier for them to finish off.
Moments ago you were chiding me for acting unlike myself, and now you suggest I do something that under normal circumstances I would never do. If that lot has this under control, and I'll agree they certainly seem to, then I've no reason to stick my neck out. However, I would like to see what that giant is willing to fight and die for.

Brandishing his retrieved wand, Nagi burns a 3rd level spell slot and activates Dimension Door to warp to a spot that perhaps half a minute ago had been vacant-The area where he had last been able to send his scrying sensor and take a look at the empty ten-foot circle, just beyond which the giant had somehow been able to destroy the sensor. Upon arrival Nagi whips around, his 60 feet of Darkvision scanning the area for imminent danger. Dimension Door is always a little gamble, since he's too disoriented to so much as hide or even activate his Shadow Cloak in a pinch, but he's reasonably sure that any danger that could be lurking in this room would have showed itself during the giant's rampage.

cigaw
2015-06-23, 07:20 AM

The Death Giant seems to be reeling from the combined assault of their forces, but Fea'nor simply cannot shake the sinking feeling from the souls' wailing. He knows that perhaps leaving it to the others and conserving their resources would be the wise thing to do, but the desire to see themselves free from this creature is too strong.

The Fey'ri utters arcane words, almost completing the formula when the giant emits a final, wretched wail. From his palm a small sphere of barely coalesced Elemental Fire dissipates harmlessly.

Free: Blink to Material
Standard: Cast Orb of Fire vs Death Giant

Attack: [roll0] vs Touch AC, Fort DC 25 vs Dazed for 1 round (Save negates)
Damage: [roll1] Fire
Retconned
Free: Blink to Ethereal

STATS:

• F/R/W = 13/12/18
• +6 Saves vs Poison
• +9 Hide
• See Invisibility
• Detect Magic
SPELLS:

MightBeABook
2015-07-10, 08:21 PM
Between Tobias' blades and Wrack's horrific, acid-dripping attacks, the giant is utterly overwhelmed. Without ceremony, the screeching stops, as the swirling shield of the damned dissipates into thin air. He falls to his knees, a horrible grimace on his face, and immediately the unholy light vanishes from his eyes. Now, your once-mighty foe is sprawled dead before you. Suddenly, the corpse shrinks to half of its previous massive size.

Congrats! It is well and truly dead. You each receive 3000 experience points. I'm assuming Fea'nor won't be burning the spell on the corpse, and whether or not Nagi will be taking the above actions is up to you.

I'll post what you know about what the giant carried when someone attempts to loot it.

With the death of the great giant, some of the oppressive atmosphere of The Academy is lifted. You feel as if this place is, for the moment, safe.

Nettlekid
2015-07-10, 09:02 PM
Nagi creeps toward the enormous corpse, eyeing it gingerly. His chainmail glove wasn't imparting a sense of anxiety to him. Was it done with?
"Well then, good job everyone! I'm afraid I rather hurried off when the screaming started - It took me about this long to get ahold of myself. But good show! You took it down splendidly! And barring a second monstrous roar, I think that's the last of the first trials. I'm still feeling a little jittery, perhaps we should take a small breather? Although, as we rest a while, perhaps we might go over this big fellow and see if he's got anything Brand wouldn't mind missing? He popped my scrying sensor before, and I don't know how. Maybe a magic ring? In any case, he might have something interesting either on him or in the room he came from."

Thokk_Smash
2015-07-10, 09:41 PM
Breathing heavy, Tobias watches the giant warily for any signs of trickery or deceit. When he determines that the wailing is truly gone and all he is hearing is the last echoes on the wall, he allows himself to relax. Slightly.

The bigger they are, he starts, grinning a feral grin as he approaches the body. Spitting on it once, he wipes his blades on what little clothing the body has and then sheathes them. Although he tries to hide it, his hands still shake as he removes them from the hilts, and he claps them into his pockets until they stop.

I could go for a rest, but we should make sure we're fortified somehow before we fully relax. There could be others that come in this way, after all, and we don't want to be caught napping.

Anyone wanna help me find out what this guy had on him? I'm not sure I'll be able to get his armor off by myself; can we even carry it with us? Scratching his head at the logistics of the armor, he begins to rummage through the giant's clothing to find what items it may be carrying.

MightBeABook
2015-07-11, 07:06 PM
The corpse shrinking has been edited into the previous post; I had forgotten to note it entirely.

While the weapon and armor of the giant shrank with their deceased bearer, they remain massive. It is difficult to search beneath his armor, but around his neck you find a necklace bearing an enormous severed hand. The hand itself wears a thick coppery band, unadorned but rather beaten.

bekeleven
2015-07-11, 11:56 PM
"That was eventful."

Janan stands still, watching Tobias search the corpse. After a few minutes, he walks closer to the doorway the giant had opened and looks through.

It may, for now, be wise not to cross more thresholds.

infomatic
2015-07-12, 12:47 AM
Wrack stands atop the fallen foe, cawing in victory, 'til Fen'Gal bids him to come down.

"Gods, what an aggravating creature," she rasps, feeling her burns scab over and begin to heal. She nods at Tobias' suggestion. "Rest would be welcome, now that we have a taste of this place we can prepare ourselves better."

cigaw
2015-07-13, 06:45 AM

As the Giant collapses, the Fey'ri manages to get his breathing under control; his hands, however, are still jittery. Feigning nonchalance, he walks up to where he dropped his dagger and picks it up, carefully fitting it to its scabbard.

He catches himself before saying anything about fleeing. Fan'Gal was the only one to resist the horror that was the screeching souls, and everyone knows what it felt like. No need to mention it.

"Rest would be welcome, and, unless The Academy can block interdimensional magic, I can conjure a safe haven for us," Fea'nor says with some confidence. "But first, let us see what there is to see."

The Fey'ri retrieves a simple and somewhat delicate lens from his haversack and places it over his eye; he then begins to examine the Giant's possessions and their surroundings.

Persisted Detect Magic plus Artificer's Monocle. Scanning the whole area around us for auras and identifying whatever there is to be identified.

I'll also help Tobias (and whoever else) remove the Giant's armor so we can check everything out.
STATS:

• F/R/W = 13/12/18
• +6 Saves vs Poison
• +9 Hide
• See Invisibility
• Detect Magic
SPELLS:

MightBeABook
2015-07-15, 09:22 PM
Beneath the giant's armor is little of interest, beyond what you've already found. Those possessions you've already found, however, all seem to be items of at least some power.

Firstly, a tiny disclaimer: I've lost the original record I had of what the giant possessed, so numbers might not quite match up.

Axe: Huge Greataxe +1, made of an unusual dark metal.
Armor: Mechanus Gear +4 (Planar Handbook)
Amulet: Hand of Glory
Ring: Ring of Growth (Savage Species)

cigaw
2015-07-16, 07:37 AM

Fea'nor spends a few moments concentrating on the items at hand, divining their properties. At last, he points them out and speaks in a somewhat academic fashion.

"Our opponent was well equipped. The armor is an interesting piece; it is modeled after the layers of Machanus and is simply but powerfully enchanted. I believe it offers great protection at the cost of mobility. The ring is responsible for the Giant's enormous size, as it allows the wearer to become larger and more formidable. The amulet is something I've read about before many times - a Hand of Glory. As you see, you may place an enchanted ring on the mummified hand and still call upon its powers." He pauses a moment eyeing the axe. "The axe is simply enchanted and the blade is of some rare material I have yet to identify..."

Fea'nor then searches his brain for mentions of metal like this one. Perhaps it is something found on the Planes, given his equipment?

A few Knowledge checks to see if I can figure out whatever the axe is made of:
Arcana: [roll0]
History: [roll1]
Nature: [roll2]
Planes: [roll3]
All others: [roll4]
STATS:

• F/R/W = 13/12/18
• +6 Saves vs Poison
• +9 Hide
• See Invisibility
• Detect Magic
SPELLS:

MightBeABook
2015-07-16, 02:18 PM
It's thianun.

Nettlekid
2015-07-17, 01:25 PM
While the rest of the party identifies the magic items or stands by Fen'Gal to heal their wounds, Nagi slips toward the doors that the giant smashed through and takes a glance into the darkness beyond, not yet crossing its threshold. He was a little anxious something would burst out at him from any side, but if the Chainmail Glove that alerted him to danger was calm then he was alright with dropping his guard a little. What he was curious about were three things. First of all, why was the giant just sitting around in this room? Was it doing something else before they'd arrived? Secondly, how had it seen his scrying sensor and destroyed it? The others had mentioned it could unweave magic, but had it just been luck that had drawn its sight to the scrying sensor, or something more material? And finally, maybe it had a little extra plunder in its lair than it was carrying on it.

Thokk_Smash
2015-07-20, 01:37 PM
After finishing his patdown of the giant's body, Tobias feels the last of his wounds heal up. That trick the wizard pulls with making spells last longer is really useful. He spends a minute or so testing the weight of the axe and seeing how they could carry it. Wrapping up the blade in thick cloths, he does his best to put it into his bag of holding without breaking it. If it won't fit, he doesn't bother.

Noticing the apprentice sorcerer inspecting the new room, he joins him at the threshold to look into the new room.