PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Honestly what do you think the chances are of us getting birthright or ghostwalk?

Rfkannen
2015-04-21, 08:23 PM
So ghostwalk and birthright are bolth settings that I rather enjoy, but they require a bit of overhalling the system. Also I don't think there has been any mention of them from wotc since 2e. And it certainly isnt high on their list to convert at the moment. So with all that said, what do you think the chances are of either getting converted to 5e.

Bonus setting; council of worms.

Wartex1
2015-04-21, 08:27 PM
I'm pretty sure there was a Ghostwalk supplement for both 3e and 3.5e.

I don't think either are likely. Honestly, we'll probably get Eberron, Dark Sun, and Greyhawk.

Safety Sword
2015-04-21, 08:28 PM
So ghostwalk and birthright are bolth settings that I rather enjoy, but they require a bit of overhalling the system. Also I don't think there has been any mention of them from wotc since 2e. And it certainly isnt high on their list to convert at the moment. So with all that said, what do you think the chances are of either getting converted to 5e.

Bonus setting; council of worms.

I'd almost forgotten that Bithright existed...

I don't think that it was ever very popular.

My honest opinion is that the chances are slim to none.

Safety Sword
2015-04-21, 08:29 PM

I don't think either are likely. Honestly, we'll probably get Eberron, Dark Sun, and Greyhawk.

They'd be cutting their nose to spite their face not to do Dragonlance too. 5E is perfect for Dragonlance.

Rfkannen
2015-04-21, 08:31 PM

I was incorrect it turns out ghostwalk was only in 3e.

Yeah neither is likely. Still a fan can dream.

I'd almost forgotten that Bithright existed....
It had some fun ideas. would like to see something like it at least.

Wartex1
2015-04-21, 08:31 PM
I forgot to mention Dragonlance. Probably because I've never really done anything with it.

I also hope for Ravenloft.

SharkForce
2015-04-21, 08:36 PM
i would recommend you look into the appropriate fansites. as i recall, birthright.net is the major birthright one... not sure about ghostwalk. as a bonus, birthright.net is the site that got permission to update birthright to third edition rules iirc, and may include a number of people who are already used to making a new edition of birthright from scratch.

Telwar
2015-04-21, 08:50 PM
I'm not going to take bets, but I would judge the chances of seeing anything for Ghostwalk in 5e to be about the same as my winning the Powerball jackpot.

I personally liked Birthright a lot, but I really doubt they'd be likely to print anything. They'd need to adjust the blood powers and regency to something more modern, and extrapolating the current release trends, that's way more work than they're likely to feel worth their time when they can let fans do that and just sell PDFs of the 2e materials on dndclassics.com for them to use. I'd hit up these guys (http://www.birthright.net/) and see what they've come up with.

I would not be surprised at all if they did put out an update for Dragonlance, at least a free PDF like they did for Eberron. It's a setting that people seem to like, and the actual effort can probably be mostly done by doing some dragonborn, gnome, dwarf, and halfling reskins, adding in some artifacts, maybe even (gasp) some backgrounds, and boom, you're done.

I can actually see them doing something for Ravenloft in print form. It always seemed to work better, I think, as individual pieces rather than a full-fledged campaign, and they could easily do a Castle Ravenloft book (...again).

pibby
2015-04-21, 09:46 PM
They'd be cutting their nose to spite their face not to do Dragonlance too. 5E is perfect for Dragonlance.

Considering that HotD was based off a Dragonlance campaign and PotA is based off a Greyhawk campaign, I doubt they're looking to make make conversion books for entire setting. Rather, they are just nipping iconic campaigns and repurposing them for FR.

The closest thing to a conversion so far is the Eberron pdf that they released under UA. I'm sure there would be some 3rd parties that would love to make full conversions of old settings if liscencing with Hasbro wasn't such a pain.

eastmabl
2015-04-21, 11:44 PM
i would recommend you look into the appropriate fansites. as i recall, birthright.net is the major birthright one... not sure about ghostwalk. as a bonus, birthright.net is the site that got permission to update birthright to third edition rules iirc, and may include a number of people who are already used to making a new edition of birthright from scratch.

If you can find people to help, you can do heavy lifting for setting conversions. There are 5e conversions for Dark Sun and Greyhawk that have the informal blessing of Mearls/WOTC.

hamishspence
2015-04-22, 02:05 AM
I was incorrect it turns out ghostwalk was only in 3e.

There was a WOTC update to the rules to bring it in line with 3.5 though.

Safety Sword
2015-04-22, 05:28 PM
Considering that HotD was based off a Dragonlance campaign and PotA is based off a Greyhawk campaign, I doubt they're looking to make make conversion books for entire setting. Rather, they are just nipping iconic campaigns and repurposing them for FR.

The closest thing to a conversion so far is the Eberron pdf that they released under UA. I'm sure there would be some 3rd parties that would love to make full conversions of old settings if liscencing with Hasbro wasn't such a pain.

Some of the best D&D books I have are Campaign Setting books.

There is a lot of DM inspiration in a book that covers the lore and politics of a particular world. I really hope that isn't a thing that isn't going to happen any more...

eastmabl
2015-04-22, 05:37 PM
Considering that HotD was based off a Dragonlance campaign...

Also, mind *BLOWN*. Totally missed this.

Mrmox42
2015-04-23, 04:13 AM
birthright.net is a good place to go.

Birthright is one of my favorite settings, but - as already mentioned - it needs a bit of editing to Work in 5e.
The setting has not been officially updated for a long time, so I do not believe that anything new will happen, apart from on the fansites.

silveralen
2015-04-23, 06:53 AM
We are getting close to a year with no official campaign setting books and one early draft online setting supplement. Considering nothing has been announced I'd be willing to bet we don't see anything more than that or another online supplement for a while.

Now, an Unearthed arcana isn't impossible, but it'd be after every other setting they already talked about which is a good 4-5 more, plus revised versions of early settings.

Given the release rate so far.... it could happen but it won't be soon. It is also unlikely to be anything major.

JAL_1138
2015-04-23, 07:09 AM
Since they brought back the Great Wheel, I'm hoping for Planescape, but doubtful.