PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Expanding on the Technology Guide

Ancalidormis
2015-04-21, 09:43 PM
Hi, everyone. I'm new to Giants in the Playground, but I've heard great things. Can someone help me out with a project?

I just bought the Technology guide and I'm noticing a trend. The technology guide doesn't work in a futuristic setting in application, since its designed around an in-built limitation. It was designed around Golarion and Numeria. Costs are too high for average low level games, since they are based off of the standard item creation rules. They also lack a ton of different weapons, from lightsabers to chainswords, from Assault Rifles to SMGs. Then you have to deal with the fact that the labs that create these weapons are artifact-level items and are very rare. This is un-acceptable for what I need in my games.

Perhaps we can create an alternate version, with expanded weapons and technology together? If you are willing to help out, I'd suggest we work out some basics.

Thealtruistorc
2015-04-21, 09:47 PM
Welp, I'm on board. Maybe we could even create a martial discipline eventually for high-tech weapons.

Ancalidormis
2015-04-21, 09:53 PM
Welp, I'm on board. Maybe we could even create a martial discipline eventually for high-tech weapons.

That sounds amazing. I definitely agree with this idea.

qazzquimby
2015-04-21, 10:06 PM
Look up dragonmech for future tech on the more mechanical side (more giant claws and chainsaws, fewer lightsabers), and I've never looked into it, but I think d20 modern and future weapons are fairly compatible, though you'd want to check that.

hiryuu
2015-04-21, 10:18 PM
Totally agreed - the prices aren't even based on the magic item creation rules. They cost about two to three times more than the magic item equivalent would and are likely to fritz out on you randomly. If they're going to base item costs on magic item creation alone, they need to shave off money for the potential to have it fry, or for having ammo or charges.

My real problem with the book stems from the things like anti-tech field (physics is physics, if it stops bullets it should stop arrows and alchemist's fire and pants), or the idea that someone who knows perfectly well how planes work or how to build a diagram for planar ally won't know what an integrated circuit is. It's almost like the designers didn't know what "technology" even is. Spells are a form of technology, they're just designed to solve problems with energy taken from somewhere else, rather than the same plane.

So, what do we need to get started?

Ancalidormis
2015-04-21, 10:54 PM
Totally agreed - the prices aren't even based on the magic item creation rules. They cost about two to three times more than the magic item equivalent would and are likely to fritz out on you randomly. If they're going to base item costs on magic item creation alone, they need to shave off money for the potential to have it fry, or for having ammo or charges.

My real problem with the book stems from the things like anti-tech field (physics is physics, if it stops bullets it should stop arrows and alchemist's fire and pants), or the idea that someone who knows perfectly well how planes work or how to build a diagram for planar ally won't know what an integrated circuit is. It's almost like the designers didn't know what "technology" even is. Spells are a form of technology, they're just designed to solve problems with energy taken from somewhere else, rather than the same plane.

So, what do we need to get started?

I think we should start with weapons. Perhaps create two tables; One for futuristic weapons and one for modern weapons. I think we should keep the list somewhat generic to start. We dont need twelve different assault rifles, for example. One or two variations would suffice.

We should scrap the whole timeworn mechanic, though. I like the concept of a universal 'Charge' that powers high-tech weapons, but it wont do for modern weapons.

Ancalidormis
2015-04-23, 06:41 PM
I've created a doc on Google docs with a start to the weapons.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15Qthj0oKt654ufQp0I-3AN57cwsvYGKdOVYY8uiO5gA/edit?usp=sharing

First thing is some things are getting changed. Critical hit modifiers are too high on firearms.