PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Need ideas for a Flaw

dukeofwolfsgate
2015-04-21, 10:00 PM
My DM is willing to give his players 2 ability score increases of +2, but requires a Flaw to be taken that is detrimental to your character.

I need some help coming up with a few to choose from, otherwise he will create one (they are almost unbearable when he has to create it). These Flaws must be: "something that risks something significant and that comes up every game session".

Here is an example of one that he worked with another player to create for that guy's character.

One-Eyed: Character rolls with disadvantage on all Perception, Investigation, and Initiative checks.:smallwink:

Another player has a super complicated one where every time he rolls a natural 1, his teifling character must make a Wisdom save versus becoming possessed by his demon father or some-such...:smallfurious:

Any ideas?

pibby
2015-04-21, 10:22 PM
Perhaps you can use this infamous flaw from 3.5:

"CHICKEN INFESTED
You've got chickens
Effect: Whenever you draw a weapon or pull an item out of a container, you have a 50% chance of drawing a live chicken instead. No, we don't know where the chickens come from; it's your character."

I suppose it would be fine if you're a spellcaster who is always holding or displaying their focus. It'll be a pain if you ever have to cast spells requiring expensive components but I'm sure you can get by without ever having to personally draw one from your pack. Also, you'll never run out of food or party tricks.

Gritmonger
2015-04-21, 10:38 PM
You could take "limp" from the "Lingering Injuries" table - speed reduced by 5, and make a DC 10 Dex check any time you use the Dash Action.

You could take an Indefinite Madness, and a trigger that would invoke a Long Term madness if you didn't make a DC 10 Wisdom saving throw. The Long Term madness could be previously defined or random.

Magic Myrmidon
2015-04-21, 10:56 PM
It's hard to suggest a flaw when we don't know anything about your character. Having cool flaws like that tiefling thing can add a lot of interesting twists to a story.

A flaw that I'm fond of that's common in a lot of systems is "Enemy", or whatever it's called in the system. Basically, someone hates your guts, and will do anything they can to do you harm. It's cool to have a rival/adversary character, it gives the DM hooks for plots, gives you some screentime, everyone wins.

Sullivan
2015-04-22, 12:17 AM
A wizard that can't read or a monk with no fingers. A rouge that gets really nervous and sweaty when he steals or lies. A paliden or cleric that only did it for tax write offs. A fighter that's way to nice. A ranger that owns a large lumber company. An elf that's really really bad with money. A barbarian that really enjoys nice things and hates to sleep outside.

Sullivan
2015-04-22, 12:24 AM
A paliden or a cleric that only did it for tax write offs.

goto124
2015-04-22, 01:22 AM
Tax collector appears out of nowhere and attack you as random encounters?

dukeofwolfsgate
2015-04-22, 01:28 AM
It's hard to suggest a flaw when we don't know anything about your character. Having cool flaws like that tiefling thing can add a lot of interesting twists to a story.

My new character is going to be a half-elf sorcerer (dragon bloodline) with a noble background. Does that help?

Magic Myrmidon
2015-04-22, 01:42 AM
It does. If you're a noble, you might be indebted to your dad (or whatever), and have to do favors lest the noble court blackmail you out of the good life. Alternatively, maybe you're too sympathetic to the common folk. It may be unseemly to have such dirty people in the clean courts. Alternatively, you can do the opposite. You're cruel to the common folk, because they're beneath you. That is sure to gain you some enemies.

Or maybe you wanna take the wild magic table, but only allow for negative effects, since you're a sorcerer. That seems pretty drastic, but hey.

ChubbyRain
2015-04-22, 06:24 AM
First off, I would never take the disadvantage to three very popular aspects of the game in order to get a +2. Hell I wouldn't do it for a +4. Disadvantage on Perception, Investigation, and Initiative Checks is crazy.

Herr is a list of 3e flaws.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm

Random note, there was a fencer who lost an eye and the bridge of his nose. He suffered no loss of vision range. Apparently if you remove the nose blocking the eyes you only need one eye and even your depth perception isn't effected all that much. *shrug*

Aurthur
2015-04-22, 10:34 AM
My new character is going to be a half-elf sorcerer (dragon bloodline) with a noble background. Does that help?

Embarrassing Itchy Skin: Your draconic bloodline leaves small swatches of itchy swollen skin around you which are a constant irritant and impact your relationships. -2 to Concentration and all mental/social skill checks.

'D&D's Psoriasis'

MrStabby
2015-04-22, 11:09 AM
You could take "limp" from the "Lingering Injuries" table - speed reduced by 5, and make a DC 10 Dex check any time you use the Dash Action.

You could take an Indefinite Madness, and a trigger that would invoke a Long Term madness if you didn't make a DC 10 Wisdom saving throw. The Long Term madness could be previously defined or random.

I was surprised to find that that was the disadvantage that you got from "limp".

Vogonjeltz
2015-04-22, 03:56 PM

Presumably the flaw is intended to be something that won't just be going away anytime soon (especially for a whopping +4 ability score points...that's crazy good).

Abomination: Your draconic heritage is visible and commonly reviled (regardless of the actual choice). You receive disadvantage on all charisma based checks to influence others. (i.e. Diplomacy, Deception, etc...).