PDA

View Full Version : An exercise in mutability.

LairdMaon
2015-04-22, 02:35 AM
Axe-buckler
Can be enchanted as a weapon (axe) and as a shield (buckler).

Sizing alters the weapon's size.

Morphing changes the weapon into any weapon of your choice.

Variable alters the type of shield to your whim.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but would that get you literally any weapon/shield type you could want?

Bronk
2015-04-22, 05:06 AM
Well, morphing will change a weapon into any other weapon, but only so long as it's within the same 'light', 'one-handed' or 'two-handed' category.

LairdMaon
2015-04-22, 08:41 AM
Yep, and Sizing covers that. A medium light weapon becomes a large one handed becomes a huge two handed.

Eloel
2015-04-22, 09:03 AM
Yep, and Sizing covers that. A medium light weapon becomes a large one handed becomes a huge two handed.

That is not true.

atemu1234
2015-04-22, 09:11 AM

And nope, that isn't true.

LairdMaon
2015-04-22, 09:13 AM
Yes, it is.
PHB 113
"For instance, a Small greatsword (a two-handed weapon for a Small creature) is considered a one-handed weapon for a Medium creature, or a light weapon for a Large creature. Conversely, a Large dagger (a light weapon for a Large creature) is considered a one-handed weapon for a Medium creature, or a two-handed weapon for a Small creature."

Edit: Oh, and...
SIZING ... This weapon features a series of decorative nubs on the hilt or haft. Activating a sizing weapon changes its size category to any other that you desire

Bronk
2015-04-22, 09:19 AM

Basically, it looks like you can set the weapon to any size with the sizing property, but it will still be in the same category for that size. So, a medium sized light weapon dagger could become a large sized light weapon dagger.

Morphing can change any weapon to any other weapon within it's own category, but if it worked the way you're stating here, it wouldn't need the sizing property to pull shenanigans... you could turn your light medium dagger into a one-handed small warhammer or whatever. Or a large light dagger into a medium warhammer... It just goes beyond what the property says it can do.

Eloel
2015-04-22, 09:27 AM
Yes, it is.
PHB 113
"For instance, a Small greatsword (a two-handed weapon for a Small creature) is considered a one-handed weapon for a Medium creature, or a light weapon for a Large creature. Conversely, a Large dagger (a light weapon for a Large creature) is considered a one-handed weapon for a Medium creature, or a two-handed weapon for a Small creature."

So long as you're fine with the -2 for inappropriately sized weapons, sure.

LairdMaon
2015-04-22, 09:28 AM
So, a medium sized light weapon dagger could become a large sized light weapon dagger.

A medium light weapon (dagger) would become a one handed weapon at large category and would require two hands if it were a huge dagger.

LairdMaon
2015-04-22, 09:46 AM
Morphing can change any weapon to any other weapon within it's own category, but if it worked the way you're stating here, it wouldn't need the sizing property to pull shenanigans... you could turn your light medium dagger into a one-handed small warhammer or whatever. Or a large light dagger into a medium warhammer... It just goes beyond what the property says it can do.

True, I see what you're saying here. I think Sizing should still be there for completeness.

Anyway, my real interest is the idea of a single item that can be any weapon and/or shield.

Bronk
2015-04-22, 10:41 AM
True, I see what you're saying here. I think Sizing should still be there for completeness.

Anyway, my real interest is the idea of a single item that can be any weapon and/or shield.

It's a great idea...

I didn't realize that morphing could give you ranged weapons too. Kinda invalidates a lot of the concept of swordbows...

shaikujin
2015-04-22, 11:16 AM
This idea carried to the extreme - the morphing, sizing shuriken:

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=10419.0

Also, other useful stuff:

Shifting property from Eberron is similar to morphing, but is flat cost instead of +1.

A 2 handed Bastard Sword can be wielded in 1 hand to become a 1 handed weapon.

Changeling spear can change into a halfspear, shortspear or long spear as a free action.

Rod of Lordly Might or Rod of Surprises are items that can become different weapons.

Horned Helm, Gnome Battle Cloak, Bracers of Striking, Gauntlet, Armor Spikes/Razors, Bladed Boots, Bracers of Striking, Poison Rings etc are all weapons.

LairdMaon
2015-04-22, 12:11 PM
This idea carried to the extreme - the morphing, sizing shuriken:

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=10419.0

LOL! Mix it with the Flying, Variable, Sizing, Riverine Buckler+1 for extra cheesy goodness!