PDA

View Full Version : Rope Trick Question

BrokenButterfly
2007-04-16, 07:53 AM
Since this spell is being used rather heavily in my campaign atm I need to ask something about it. Namely, can it be moved, or does it have to stay where it was cast to be effective?

My party has now started getting into a RT and being carried around dungeons. Since this breaks the flow of the game, and what IMO D&D is really about in the first place, I'll house-rule that it can't move even if it's able to. But I would like people's views on this question please. Thanks.

Tor the Fallen
2007-04-16, 07:57 AM
I don't think so.

From the description of the spell:
"Creatures in the space can pull the rope up into the space, making the rope “disappear.” In that case, the rope counts as one of the eight creatures that can fit in the space. The rope can support up to 16,000 pounds. A weight greater than that can pull the rope free."

This implies that the rope is very solidly anchored by the extradimensional space.

Matthew
2007-04-16, 07:59 PM
I would tend to agree. There is nothing in the Spell Description that implies that the rope can be moved from where it is anchored.

Foeofthelance
2007-04-16, 11:19 PM
Of course, if you really want to discourage it, moving the rope seperates it from the dimensional pocket, which then seals automatically. So anyone trying to carry a rope trick finds it doesn't work. Just so you don't punish them too badly, if the Rope Trick is cast in the same place then it has a chance of reconnecting to the same point. Fudge the roll the first time (or just give it a ridiculously high chance) and get progressively stricter as time passed. After all, you don't want them trying to use it as a storage space either.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-04-19, 02:25 AM
No unless you wish it to in your campaign. This is only a level 2 spell. You could say the Rope Trick spell creates a temporary access to a fixed dimensional space. Not even Mord's Mansion moves around the way they want to use the Rope Trick.

The PCs are not making a Portable Hole which requires the Planeshift spell as per the DMG. Even Portable Bags of Holding and the Heward's Handy Haversack require the Leomund's Secret Chest Spell as per the DMG.

The PCs are casting the spell on a rope as per the spell text:

"One End" of the rope rises into the air until the whole rope hangs perpendicular to the ground as if affixed at the upper end. The upper end is, in fact fastened to an extradimensional space that is outside the multiverse of extradimensional spaces.

Consider the fact that the PCs don't pull down the dimensional space climbing up the rope entering into or exiting the dimensional space and that there is no mention in the spell text regarding the dimesional space moving around the plane while the rope is unattended or while the PCs are inside the dimesional space with or without the rope so the PCs shouldn't be able to tug it around as they wish.

The text specifically says 16,000 pounds can pull the rope free which clearly implies the rope is fixed to a point. Maybe more than 16,000 pounds could move a dimensional space around a plane although I would just leave it as No or Possibly but just not worth the effort of spells and resources.

Hope that helps.

Storm Bringer
2007-04-19, 11:53 AM
it's a magicallly created wormhole. trying to move it, IMO, would either:

A) not work (you just break the rope)

B) collapse the spell and scatter the contents over the astral plane (at an atomic level is you're P***ed off with them using it)

C) both.

The rope is attached to a point on the other side of a extrademsional space. anything in the space is isn't affected by outside effects. I'd argue you the wormwhole has no mass, and the rope just leads though it, so you can't move it by pulling on the rope.