PDA

View Full Version : Optimization limits of Repeat Spell and how to overcome them?

ben-zayb
2015-04-22, 05:09 AM
Based on the Simple RAW Thread:

A 573 No.

Repeat Spell will affect the same area or the same ranged target. Personal range spells are neither of those, so the second spell fails.

I didn't realize that the feat is restricted to that extent, where the affected spell must have either an Area effect or a Target that is "ranged". Now, this puts a damper on many known tricks that I have used (or are using), such as Arcane Fusion on metamagic-stacking sorcerers, Mage's Lucubration on heavy-utility wizards, and Summon Monster # spells on malconvokers.

What I'm trying to find out are potential workarounds to make these spells viable for Repeat Spell, which means either turning them into area effects somehow or making them have a "ranged target".

So, are there ways around this?

Segev
2015-04-22, 12:29 PM
Hm. Does it work on Rays? Reach Spell might help make Touch-range spells viable for it, again, if so.

As might Occular Spell.

ben-zayb
2015-04-22, 02:34 PM
Hm. Does it work on Rays? Reach Spell might help make Touch-range spells viable for it, again, if so.

As might Occular Spell.

I'm really not sure. On one hand, Rays have Effect instead of a Target type of aiming; on the other hand, Ray spells usually specify target/s in their Descriptive Text.

Segev
2015-04-22, 02:52 PM
IIRC, official rules are that text trumps tabular entries, so if there's a conflict between the spell's description and its tabular header, the text "wins" as the official rule.

Cruiser1
2015-04-22, 03:26 PM
I didn't realize that the feat is restricted to that extent, where the affected spell must have either an Area effect or a Target that is "ranged".
It's not limited in that way. :smallsmile: Let's look at the feat text from CA:

"No matter where you might have moved in the previous round, the second spell originates from the same location and affects the same area as the original spell."

This is an explanation of how a repeated spell works in general (e.g. the "originates from the same location" clause applies to all types of spells). It's not a limitation on what spells can be repeated. If the original spell doesn't have an officially designated Area, then the repeated spell will be the same and also won't affect an Area. After all, the very next sentence mentions repeating targeted spells which often don't have Area.

"If the original spell designates a ranged target, the repeated spell affects the same target if it is within 30 feet of its original position; otherwise, the second spell fails."

This is the only clause mentioning the repeated spell failing. If the original spell doesn't designate a ranged target, then the potential for failure doesn't apply.

"Touch range spells cannot be affected by this feat."

This is the only specific limitation on what spells can't be affected by Repeat Spell. If Personal range spells couldn't be affected, then they would have been mentioned in this sentence.