PDA

View Full Version : Hold everything ability?

Ogrinson
2015-04-22, 05:10 AM
Hi,
there are so many class combinations which are based on critical hitting charackters.
But instead of trying to increase the critical hit chance, i wanted to ask if there is a class/classcombination which is very good in casting spells or spell like abilitys which can hold most type of enemys.

For example:
Druids: Hold animal
Bards: Hold monster
Sorc/Wizard: Hold person

So if a person is held for example, every attack results in an automatically crit hit, correct me if am wrong.

I would like to have a char which is able to held most type of enemies. Most cummon are magical beasts, humanoid, animals and undead. Well most animals arent realy animals, the most are also magical beasts. I dont even know what kind of monstertypes are count as monster for hold monster. I want a charackter which is able to do so maybe without beeing some kind of epic charackter.
Of course a sorc or wizard could use a stun word. But thats a much to high lvl spell. Thought about using some charackter lvl about ~10-12 or so.

Khedrac
2015-04-22, 06:23 AM
Err, no.

A being subject to a Hold X spell is paralysed = Helpless.

This means that they are subject to coup de grace, but it does not mean that any other attack is an automatic critical, they are not even automatic hits (the being is treated as if it has a Dex of 0 for a -5 adjustment to AC)

The Hold X spells also grant a new saving throw every round, this means that most people regard them as sub-optimal choices.

As for Stun effects, a stunned entity drops everything held (unlike the paralysed entity) but is otherwise able to passively defend themselves (full AC).

As for Hold Monster (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/holdMonster.htm) it specifically affects "any living creature that fails its will save", so with the exception of people immune to Mind Affecting etc. who don't bother to make the save, it will apply to any non-construct and non-undead. (Well nearly any.)

Ogrinson
2015-04-22, 09:39 AM
Hmm okay but a coup de graces chance is very high to perfom a deadly attack. DC + Damage Dealt is a very high DC.
If you attack with some two handed weapon with x3 or x4 multiplier it is a one hit in most aces.

So i change my question a little bit :smalltongue:

1.) Is there a way to quicken the Spell (never played a Spellcaster) so hold monster becomes a free action somehow?
If possible, i would like to do hold monster + coup de grace in the same round.

2.) Are there any classes, weapons or monsters (If i play with a true shifter f.e.) which perform paralyzing attacks?

3.) Coup de graces provokes an attack of opportunity, is there a way to negotiate that?

Khedrac
2015-04-22, 09:50 AM
Hmm okay but a coup de graces chance is very high to perfom a deadly attack. DC + Damage Dealt is a very high DC.
If you attack with some two handed weapon with x3 or x4 multiplier it is a one hit in most aces.

So i change my question a little bit :smalltongue:OK.

1.) Is there a way to quicken the Spell (never played a Spellcaster) so hold monster becomes a free action somehow?
If possible, i would like to do hold monster + coup de grace in the same round.The feat Quicken Spell comes to mind. The Complete books change it from a Free Action to a Swift Action.

2.) Are there any classes, weapons or monsters (If i play with a true shifter f.e.) which perform paralyzing attacks?Lots. Ghouls to start with, and most are probably undead, but not all will be.

3.) Coup de graces provokes an attack of opportunity, is there a way to negotiate that?Not to my knowledge. Also remember that you have to be adjacent to the target even when using a missile weapon.