PDA

View Full Version : Short question; getting at least one 2nd lvl spell as a spell like ability?

Jiruharudo
2015-04-22, 05:11 AM
The spell Im looking for is Whirling Blade.
I like it a LOT, but since bard lvl 9 can only do it 3 times a day it runs out of juice fast. (even worse for hexblade)

Im aware an Archmage can get it as a Spelllike ability for 2 times a day, and the best solution I figured woudkl be a weapon with a wandchamber with wands of Whirling Blade, 50 uses. But I was wondering if we can make it more innate.

I mean We can do it with Cone of Fire, so is there a workaround for this?

AnonymousPepper
2015-04-22, 05:42 AM
Eternal Wand can do a second-level spell 2/day with no UMD check for 4420gp, so, gets around the standard wand's ultimately limited uses. Alternatively, a custom wondrous item could do the trick (for a similar price and not as setting-specific).

Getting it inbuilt, not so sure, but frankly I'd argue that it's better to throw money at a problem than limited class levels, feats, et cetera.

Crake
2015-04-22, 06:22 AM
Well, if you can manage to get yourself a 10th level spell slot, the innate spell feat grants you an at will SLA at the cost of permanently losing a spell slot 8 levels higher than the spell level. Not impossible, though how hard it is depends on the level of cheese your DM is willing to allow.

Jiruharudo
2015-04-22, 07:50 AM
Useful advises indeed, thanks for those!

Not a 10th level though, bard (and SURELY hexblade) arnt potent casters..

Eternal Wand's arnt a bad idea, true. And if i put it in a wand chamber build in my weapon I'll be able to Wand Chamber (Weapon or Shield): A wand
chamber is a thin, cylindrical slot on the handle of a
weapon or the edge of a shield that can hold a single
wand. When a wand is loaded in the chamber, it is
considered ready and can be activated without having
to drop the weapon or shield. Changing the wand in
the chamber is a full-round action. my weapon for 2 more throws, but a full round action to do so seems a little iffy..

Anyone else adding to this?

atemu1234
2015-04-22, 09:33 AM
Well, if you can manage to get yourself a 10th level spell slot, the innate spell feat grants you an at will SLA at the cost of permanently losing a spell slot 8 levels higher than the spell level. Not impossible, though how hard it is depends on the level of cheese your DM is willing to allow.

Snowcasting + Sanctum Spell cheese?

Jiruharudo
2015-04-22, 09:50 AM
So looking at custom enchanting I found:
Command word = Spell level × caster level × 1,800 gp.
Example:Cape of the mountebank
Use-activated or continuous = Spell level × caster level × 2,000 gp2
Example: Lantern of revealing

So for 4000gp + magical weapon price I could make a Greatsword which is flung at anything in a 60 foot line with all the bardic buffs etc one can think of, constantly, using my INT or CHA, right?

Also found someone stating something far more logical:

"You could have this spell on a ring, use-activated with unlimited charges, for a flat 20k gold and turn every caster into a power-attacker. (Who needs the fighter when the casters can just throw lightsabers?)"

AnonymousPepper
2015-04-22, 02:07 PM
Just don't get too carried away with custom magic items. The rules are just guidelines; even in my games, and I'm a pretty fast-and-loose DM, I reserve veto rights on the things, because you can do some rather broken stuff with them. Continuous True Strike comes to mind; 2000*1*1*4, possibly *1.5 or *2 if you want it in an unusual slot or slotless, comes out to 8 to 16k. Which is nowhere near a fair price for an item that grants continuous +20 to hit and ignoring cover and concealment. Even when I'm playing Artificers (most of the time), whose entire schtick comes down to scrolls, magic arms and armor, and wondrous items, I'm still a little careful with those rules - not because my DM watches over my stuff like a hawk, but because I don't want to do anything that destroys the trust between a player and a DM... and suddenly breaking all their encounters over your knee is a good way to do that.

Basically what I'm telling you is, use yer 'ead when coming up with custom items. Remember that the rules for them are guidelines for a reason. Use discretion. Please.

There's an easy rule for this: look at the price that you're paying for it. If you would immediately buy it without hesitation, possibly even sell something to get it, it's too cheap for what it does. If you look at the price and think, "Wow, that's a bloody ripoff," then it probably is. The trick to getting a balanced magical item is to look somewhere in between.

Troacctid
2015-04-22, 02:13 PM
Continuous True Strike is actually priced pretty fairly at 2000 gp once you consider that extending the 1 round duration doesn't stop it from being expended after the first attack.