PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder The Gun-Fu Man

Alagos
2015-04-22, 06:29 AM
Hello Everyone,

Now that college is nearly out for the summer, I've been toying with a fun build idea to use when I rejoin a friend's campaign. Gun-Fu is something that has been very difficult to replicate properly in D&D/Pathfinder, so I took a crack at it to see if I could not only make it functional, but stylish and fun. I've got the first few levels down, but I'm looking for suggestions on where to take things afterwards.

What I've come up with is a (hopefully not broken) spin on the Synthesist Summoner to create a steampunk-ish Ironman. Huge charisma, proficiency with nearly all weapons, devastating short range guns, and very strong armor, all wrapped around a relatively helpless man with a personality that gets him in far too much trouble. Think Pulp Fiction's Jules' gritty sass mixed with the deviously charming Lando Calrissian. Hitman and Gentleman, but vulnerable if you catch him off guard.

This is what the build looks like so far.

Pathfinder Only
No 3rd Party (no DSP or SoP, sadly)
20 Point Buy
Nothing overtly broken or abused.
Starting Level 5, standard WBL.

Race: Human

Starting Stats:
7 STR
10 DEX
7 CON
14 INT
16 WIS
19 CHA (20 at level 4)

Traits: Magical Knack, +2 CL up to character level
Reactionary, +2 initiative

Pistolero/Mysterious Stranger Gunslinger 1 / Kata Master/Sensei Monk 1 / Synthesist Summoner 3 (Yes, I know, Synthesist, but bear with me.)

Feats:
1-Rapid Reload (pistol)
Point Blank Shot
2-Dodge
3-Mobility
5-Leaping Shot

Level 1: Pistol Proficiency, a CHA grit pool, etc.

Level 2: Brings the Fu into Gun-Fu. IUS and WIS to AC. Kata Master gets me a CHA based Panache pool and access to Derring-Do and more importantly, Opportune Parry & Riposte, for rapid Matrix-style parrying and counterattacking all while the guns are still blazing. Sensei grants a fluff-appropriate Inspire Courage a la Bard for a nice little buff before and during combat.

Level 3-5: Summoner goodies. Standard fare for spell selection up to level 5 (Grease, Mage Armor, Haste, etc.)

By level 5, this is what I'm looking at roughly in terms of stats:

Base 30+18 HP (temp hp from Eidolon suit)
+4 BAB
Base 5 to all saves
Base 21 AC (25 with Mage Armor)
5 Grit Pool
5 Panache Pool

Evolutions:
Ability Increase, Dexterity (2 points)
Limbs: Arms (2 points)
Tentacle (1 point)

Extra set of arms lets me hold up to 4 pistols at a time, all reloaded by my trusty mechanical manipulator (tentacle). Alchemical cartridges and Rapid Reload make reloading all the pistols a free action each. Extra arms are refluffed to appear as shoulder cannons or wrist launchers (think steampunk War Machine).

Fused Stats:
17 STR
15 DEX
13 CON
14 INT
16 WIS
20 CHA

With the use of a single grit point, I can use Leaping Shot:

"You gain a +2 bonus on Acrobatics checks made to jump. As a full-round action, you can move up to your speed and make firearm attacks at your highest base attack bonus with each loaded firearm you are wielding. You can make these attacks at any point during your movement, and if you are wielding two firearms, you can make the attacks at different points during the movement. At the end of this movement, you fall prone. This deed costs 1 grit point to perform.

This is basically ranged Pounce with guns. I'll be hitting for a total of 4d8+4 at +8 vs touch AC, and then reload upon landing. Rinse and repeat. The feat says nothing about needing to be standing before using it again, so "up to your speed" is applicable even if I'm rolling on the ground.

If I choose to spend another grit point, I can activate Up Close and Deadly for +1d6 to each of my shots. A third grit point adds my +5 CHA modifier to each hit. So in a big fight, vs a single target, I'm looking at 30ft movement in any direction and pattern and a 4d8+4d6+24 burst vs touch AC (if within 20 ft, which I should be once I move into range). Hopefully, once this combo has gone off, whatever I shot at will be dead, allowing me to recover a grit point. Having so many attacks at full BAB gives plenty of opportunity for crits even with a 20x4 crit range. And the freedom of movement allows me to leap into range and back out again.

With a high AC and plenty of hit points, I won't fare too badly in melee range either. IUS lets me attack even with all my hands full, and there's always the option of 2H wielding a greatsword with one pair of hands and holding a heavy shield/another greatsword in the other. Enlarge Person, Haste, Glitterdust etc, will keep me busy and contributing as a buffer/debuffer if the situation calls for it. If the going gets really rough, dismissing my Eidolon suit and casting buffs/BFC and Summon Monster II from the sidelines is an option as well. Ideally I'd also be the party face, having a very high charisma and solid skills despite Summoner only granting 2+INT per level.

The problem is, what to do after this point. I've kinda dived after the Leaping Shot trick so that I have it right off the bat. I know I'd like to continue with Summoner levels in order to gain Flight through evolution points and/or spells, but beyond that, I haven't a clue. Possible feats I've considered are Multiweapon Fighting to take full advantage of how many arms I'll have (roughly 6-8 by level 10). I've also considered taking 3 levels of Trench Fighter to get DEX to damage and pick up more ranged feats like Precise Shot, Deadly Aim, etc, or even continuing Gunslinger for access to better deeds.

Speaking of flight, does anyone know how Leaping Shot and flight would interact? How does one fall prone in mid-air? The feat description says nothing about needing to be on the ground before or after the movement.

Any suggestions? Comments?

Necroticplague
2015-04-22, 07:27 AM
For a character based on gun-fu and pistol-using, I feel a dip into Juggler Bard would be useful (especially given your CHA). A two level dip would let you reload your guns by throwing one into the air, reloading, catching, then repeating with your other gun.

Vhaidara
2015-04-22, 07:37 AM
Well, you can't stack Pistolero and Mysterious Stranger. Pistolero modifies all of your Gun Trainings, while MS modifies Gun Training 1.

Yeah, archetypes be dumb.

I recommend against dumping Con. It is still relevant on a Synthesist.

Ilorin Lorati
2015-04-22, 09:24 AM
When your Eidolon is out, you use its BAB. There is no "for your Summoner levels", it's just straight using theirs. As such, your current BAB should be 3.

atemu1234
2015-04-22, 09:28 AM
Well, you can't stack Pistolero and Mysterious Stranger. Pistolero modifies all of your Gun Trainings, while MS modifies Gun Training 1.

Yeah, archetypes be dumb.

I recommend against dumping Con. It is still relevant on a Synthesist.

Never, ever, ever dump Constitution. You need it for so many things, trust us.

Yanisa
2015-04-22, 10:16 AM
When your Eidolon is out, you use its BAB. There is no "for your Summoner levels", it's just straight using theirs. As such, your current BAB should be 3.

Nope, from the FAQ. (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fz#v5748eaic9obc)

When fused, use the eidolon's BAB instead of the summoner's class BAB, and add in BAB from other sources as normal. For example, a fighter 19/summoner 1 normally has a total BAB of +19 (+19 from fighter, +0 from summoner), and when fused with his eidolon this increases to +20 (+19 from fighter, +1 from the 1st-level eidolon).

So multiclassing with Synthesist works fine on that regard.

Ilorin Lorati
2015-04-22, 10:34 AM
:smallannoyed: Paizo and its tendency to never put out proper errata ever. Which is to say the more recent errata document says nothing about it.

grarrrg
2015-04-22, 07:35 PM
Pistolero/Mysterious Stranger Gunslinger 1 / Kata Master/Sensei Monk 1 / Synthesist Summoner 3 (Yes, I know, Synthesist, but bear with me.)

As stated, Pistolero does not stack with Mysterious Stranger.

Evolutions:
Ability Increase, Dexterity (2 points)
Limbs: Arms (2 points)
Tentacle (1 point)

Extra set of arms lets me hold up to 4 pistols at a time, all reloaded by my trusty mechanical manipulator (tentacle).

Eidolon Tentacles do not have text indicating that they can hold/manipulate items. You will have to leave one of your actual arms/hands free for reloading.

With the use of a single grit point, I can use Leaping Shot:

The feat says nothing about needing to be standing before using it again, so "up to your speed" is applicable even if I'm rolling on the ground.

Leaving aside the discussion of if you can even use the feat when prone is this:
"up to your speed" when Prone is 5ft. It's called Crawling (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Move-Actions)

Also, "highest base attack bonus" means just that "highest base attack bonus", you still have to factor in To-Hit Bonuses and To-Hit penalties.
Like, "add your DEX to your roll" and "Subtract Deadly Aim penalty", and "-6/-10 penalty for TWF/Multiweapon fighting penalties for not having the correct feat and not using Light weapons."

With a high AC and plenty of hit points, I won't fare too badly in melee range either. IUS lets me attack even with all my hands full

You don't need IUS with this. Eidolons are allowed to put a set of Claws on their feet. As you are a Biped and Bipeds get a free Claw Evolution, you may as well just put them on your feet. This also gets you +2 attacks on _any_ full attack.

Possible feats I've considered are Multiweapon Fighting to take full advantage of how many arms I'll have (roughly 6-8 by level 10).
As stated previously, you pretty much NEED Multiweapon fighting NOW.

The Random NPC
2015-04-22, 07:55 PM
...You don't need IUS with this. Eidolons are allowed to put a set of Claws on their feet. As you are a Biped and Bipeds get a free Claw Evolution, you may as well just put them on your feet. This also gets you +2 attacks on _any_ full attack.

According to this, you can't put claws on your feet. (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fo#v5748eaic9rdk) Then again Eidolons break a lot of rules, so who knows.

grarrrg
2015-04-22, 08:38 PM
According to this, you can't put claws on your feet. (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fo#v5748eaic9rdk) Then again Eidolons break a lot of rules, so who knows.

EDIT: Upon re-reading, it looks like the FAQ covers Eidolons as well.
You need 4 legs to put Claws on Eidolon Feet, but you can only put the Claws on the Feet once.

Psyren
2015-04-22, 10:44 PM

:smallannoyed: Paizo and its tendency to never put out proper errata ever. Which is to say the more recent errata document says nothing about it.

Honestly though, why would that reading ever make sense? It's like believing that a Monk 1/Fighter 19 who uses flurry has their BAB drop all the way back down to +1. (And before you answer, they got that one too. (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9naz))

Ilorin Lorati
2015-04-22, 11:19 PM
In the case of the Synthesist, it's because:

A) Your eidolon doesn't get better when you level other classes normally.
B) You're piloting your eidolon, not necessarily fighting yourself.

Monk/fighter makes sense because neither of those apply to it.

grarrrg
2015-04-22, 11:23 PM
In the case of the Synthesist, it's because:

A) Your eidolon doesn't get better when you level other classes normally.
B) You're piloting your eidolon, not necessarily fighting yourself.

Not so much...
I'm a Synthesist/Barbarian. My Eidolon gets the Rage bonuses.
I'm a Synthesist/Ranger. My Eidolon can use my Combat Style feats.
I'm a Synthesist/whatever. Why shouldn't my Eidolon get to use my Bab again?

I get your line of reasoning, but for the sake of the game it really doesn't make sense to NOT use your full Bab.
And Bab isn't strictly "physical training" either, it can be just as easily flavored as Mental Training.

Psyren
2015-04-22, 11:26 PM
The eidolon doesn't get better, but you (the character as a whole) do. It may be doing the fighting, but as a synthesist you are manually directing it, and so your own skill at fighting (represented by your overall BAB) plays a factor.

Ilorin Lorati
2015-04-22, 11:35 PM
I'm not here trying to defend or convince anyone of my viewpoint. Psyren asked me a question, I answered it. Please move on.

Yanisa
2015-04-23, 09:42 AM
EDIT: Upon re-reading, it looks like the FAQ covers Eidolons as well.
You need 4 legs to put Claws on Eidolon Feet, but you can only put the Claws on the Feet once.

Why does it cover Eidolons? It's a FAQ from the bestiary, dealing with the general rules for monsters, not PC's. The Eidolon exception is that, an exception to the general rule. Specific over general and all that. (Or the exception is poor writing/editing, but ssst.)

grarrrg
2015-04-23, 08:30 PM
Why does it cover Eidolons? It's a FAQ from the bestiary, dealing with the general rules for monsters, not PC's. The Eidolon exception is that, an exception to the general rule. Specific over general and all that. (Or the exception is poor writing/editing, but ssst.)

Because (and Psyren will likely back me up on this) FAQ's are FAQ's and they don't matter what page of the FAQ they are on.
In this case, there are quite a few Bestiary rules that are perfectly valid for every game..

Such as the "Does a Ranger Favored Enemy Human work on Vampires?" and "How does Pounce work with Iteratives?".

Look up any "gain Claws" ability, practically NONE of them specify where they go (hence the need for a FAQ entry), the Eidolon entry isn't any different. It says "limit 1 claw on feet", which we infer means they 'can' go on feet. This is not a "specific trumps general" as it does not specifically say "Every Eidolon can put claws on their feet regardless of legs".
And the FAQ is written in such a way that unless you have 4+ legs, you are not allowed to put Claws on feet.

Trust me, I take issue with where they put stuff on the FAQ too, like how the "Deaf Oracles can spend Skill points on 'Sign Language'" ruling is in the freaking "Pathfinder Society" page and not on the "APG" page where it darn well should be.