PDA

View Full Version : What deity to worship?

ChubbyRain
2015-04-22, 11:54 AM
So what deities would one recommend for the following PC?

Race: Half-Orc (male)
Class: Cleric (War)
Alignment: NG (variable)
Str: 16
Dex: 10
Con: 16
Int: 8
Wis: 14
Cha: 10

Weapon of Choice: Battle Axe, Long Sword, or Warhammer (not sure yet, may go with greatsword, greataxe, or maul if I want to two hand a weapon).

Skills: Athletics, Insight, Medicine, Intimidation, Persuasion

Background: Phlan Refugee
Personality Traits: I prepare for everthing, it paid off in Phlan and it will pay off again.

Ideals: Openness: I am always willing to share my life story with anyone who will listen.

Bonds: When I came to Mulmaster, I worked at a high end dance hall called the Wave and Wink. My bosses were the owner, Briznik and his beautiful wife, Kata. They treated me like family. I'd do anything for them!

Flaws: I'm a sucker for the underdog, and always bet on the losing team.

The flaw for this character is why I'm wondering what a good deity for this guy would be. I can't really pick a mainstream deity or else the flaw won't really work. My players and groups are also open to 3.5 deities as they don't have a ton of effect on my character outside of fluff.

Arc-Royal
2015-04-22, 12:46 PM
Any particular setting for the campaign you're in, or generic? Like, are you restricted to a particular set of deities?

Gnomes2169
2015-04-22, 01:01 PM
Well, there is one mainstream deity that could work... Torm is the god of battle and rather boastful, and always supportive to the little guy. However, if you are open to some demi-gods (or exarchs, which are basically demigods that mom or dad likes), then Uthgar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Forgotten_Realms_deities#Uthgar) might work, just say that you are from a more merciful/ compassionate faction that embodies his more "battle for the sake of others and righteousness" camp.

ChubbyRain
2015-04-22, 04:28 PM
Any particular setting for the campaign you're in, or generic? Like, are you restricted to a particular set of deities?

Nothing in particular, free reign.

Well, there is one mainstream deity that could work... Torm is the god of battle and rather boastful, and always supportive to the little guy. However, if you are open to some demi-gods (or exarchs, which are basically demigods that mom or dad likes), then Uthgar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Forgotten_Realms_deities#Uthgar) might work, just say that you are from a more merciful/ compassionate faction that embodies his more "battle for the sake of others and righteousness" camp.

I'll take a look, I could work with a mainstream deity if they were all about helping the little guy/underdog.

Arc-Royal
2015-04-22, 05:30 PM
I don't know of any deities that, by themselves, would be considered some sort of cosmic "underdog," but with regards to your flaw and always betting on the losing team, you could make the argument that if you were a follower of a deity whose tenets include fighting for justice, fighting for those who cannot properly defend themselves (the poor, downtrodden, etc.) counts as fighting for the losing side. Whether or not you succeed in such fights winds up being your DM's call.

Envyus
2015-04-22, 06:10 PM
Your going to Mulmaster so this takes place in the forgotten Realms. Given that you are a War Cleric Tempus would probably be a good choice.

Yagyujubei
2015-04-22, 06:30 PM
i second torm. hes really fitting for the underdog theme, although your character doesnt seem too into the glory of battle which is pretty strong in his profile as well...

JAL_1138
2015-04-22, 06:47 PM
Half-Orc? With an axe?

Om.*

Specifically, the branch of Omnianism started by Mightily-Praiseworthy-Are-Ye-Who-Exalteth-Om Oats, the missionary who traveled Uberwald bringing Forgiveness wherever he went.

Forgiveness is what he named his axe.

*Note: Discworld deities not available in Adventurer's League or 99% of other D&D campaigns.

Kd7sov
2015-04-22, 07:39 PM
If you want someone from the pantheon I'm building, I could suggest the Wandering God (actual name not yet assigned, but the epithet is a valid in-world referent). He was born to help out with a vague war of gods (possibly against aboleths, but not all details are available to the modern worshipper) as a strategist, complementing the field-leader abilities of she who would eventually be his wife. Some eons later he left for unknown destinations and reasons - thus the epithet - and hasn't been directly heard from since. He still empowers the occasional cleric and paladin, though, so his worshippers know he's not dead and hasn't forgotten them.

Grek
2015-04-23, 08:07 AM
Why not the Eye of Justice? It's a heresy claiming that Torm, Helm and Tyr, the three biggest gods of combat, are all actually the same god in three different aspects. The combined Eye of Justice works in many guises to defeat evil, protect the downtrodden from tyranny and to protect the innocent.