PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords Chapter one Burnt Offering can it be ran solo.

anoblewolf
2015-04-22, 02:32 PM
Thank you in advance for your help.

I am introducing a friend to Pathfinder and at the moment we have no one else to play with, so I would like to try to run a solo adventure. I have ran the first chapter of rise of the runelords (Burnt Offering) several times for groups of new player and it has always been a great experience.

Do you have any ideas on how I could run Burnt Offering as a solo.

I have thought about Gestalt but I think that might be a little overwhelming for a new player.

he will probably be more inclined to play one of the martial classes than magic classes, just from the type of characters he plays on Skyrim.

Thank you again for your time and advice.

Psyren
2015-04-22, 03:11 PM
I have thought about Gestalt but I think that might be a little overwhelming for a new player.

Nah, it's fine, especially if he's going with a two martial classes. If you're truly worried, just prepare the combined class table ahead of time (with the post-gestalt BAB, save progression, skills, proficiencies and class features) and hand that to the player as though it were a brand new class, and you're good to go.

Alternatively, run a (purely support) DMPC alongside him to help him out. An annoying gnome bard as his squire for instance.

Eldonauran
2015-04-22, 05:44 PM
You only have one major problem to overcome if you want to run any thing solo. That is ACTION ECONOMY. Here is what I would recommend.

A successful solo character will need to be able to do the following:

1) Summon assistance for melee combat. HP is very important.
2) Lock down the battle field so assistance can mop up.
3) Be capable of self healing
4) Be able to perform guerrilla combat (hit and run techniques)
5) Be able to sufficiently defend themselves in combat if needed

In short, you are looking at a Druid, or something very close to it.

1) Can summon critters to fight for them (has animal companion too)
2) Can lock down the battlefield
3) Is capable of seal healing
4) Wildshape and spells make guerilla tactics possible
5) Decent HP, BAB and save. Ability to wear armor and a shield. Defense? Check

Suggested build for a solo character?

Str=Dex=Wis>Con>Int>Cha
Race: Human
Archetype: Packlord (focus on small cats) *if you can see if DM can stack reincarnated druid on as well, for survivability*
Traits: Eye for Talent! Need that +2 Int.
Feats: Huntmaster (small cats, offsets penalty with Packlord somewhat), Boon Companion x2. Standard wildshape options. Augmented summoning would be helpful.

Companions: Two small cats (boosted by Huntmaster and boon companion), maybe one hawk for scouting (never allocated more than 1 level). They will both stay relevant up to/at level 6 or 7. Focus on one of them at that point. Have them take teamwork feats.
Skills: Craft (alchemy). Make tanglefoot bags or similar. Teach your bird the bombard trick.

After that, take it where you will.

Alternatively, you might be able to squeeze in a level of Crossblooded/Wildblooded tattooed sorcerer. Empyreal/Sylvan. Again, check with your DM. It would save you the druid level to allocate a hawk if you take the bird as a familiar while still allowing you to stack your sorcerer level (level -3, min 1) to your actual druid level for packlord ability. Also, allows use of arcane magic items and tasty spells for your companions.

anoblewolf
2015-04-22, 06:08 PM
Than you both for your advice.

How does this sound for him Fighter/Ranger with animal companion and I can play some sort of support character.

Thank you again your all your help.

Eldonauran
2015-04-22, 06:21 PM
Than you both for your advice.

How does this sound for him Fighter/Ranger with animal companion and I can play some sort of support character.

Thank you again your all your help.

If you send in a support NPC, that would make it much more survivable. I'd recommend you play some sort of dedicated healer/spellcaster to make it somewhat easier on him.

Fighter/Ranger would be a good mix as that gives the character the ability to focus on multiple styles of combat (ranged and melee) and perform in a variety of roles, inside and outside combat.