PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder The Intelligent Fighter

Sacrieur
2015-04-22, 02:58 PM
At the moment I'm looking through content for optimization fun to see how much I can maximize an Int bonus to AC. Presume all content, including 3rd party content, is open to use. Just a rough concept right now.

Key attributes: Int, then Str and Con.

Right now I'm at

Race: Human
Stats (20 PB): 14 Str, 8 Dex, 10 Con, 20 Int, 10 Wis, 10 Cha.

Warder (Dervish Defender) 1: Two-Weapon Defense allows adding Int to AC (untyped).
Feats: Artful Dodge, Combat Expertise

Magus (Kensai) 1: Chosen Weapon: Dwarven Urgosh

Stalker (Vigilante) (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tbBIinA90VQW8eriM0TZTZCbHsSU6cdv7_44J8w564s/edit) 2: Int-based Stalker. When recovering maneuvers add Int mod to AC as a dodge bonus, combat insight gives Int to Reflex/Initiative as insight bonus.
Feat: Diverse Training (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EPARqt5jpie03MIXStgFrNK_si6g218bjT4TFbcizPY/edit): Add full Magus levels to Stalker initiator levels, also for the purposes of the combat insight class feature.
+1 Int

Magus (Kensai) 7: Canny Defense, Int to Init (untyped).
Feats: Web of Steel (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/3rd-party-feats/rogue-genius-games/combat-feats/web-of-steel-combat): 1/2 CL + 2 as Armor to AC, Skill Focus (Arcana).
+1 Int

Student of War 2: Mind of Metal: Int in place of Dex for AC.
+1 Int

At this point you're level 13 and 23 Int before any buffs you tack onto that, which is a +6 Int mod. You get to apply your Int to your AC a total of 3 times for a total of a whopping +18 that's protected under uncanny dodge. It increases to 4x if you're recovering Stalker maneuvers. Web of Steel grants you an additional 8 for a flat total of 36 before any extra stuff like Artful Dodge that you can stack on top of it.

I wouldn't know where to go from here. Bladecaster? More Magus? More Stalker?

I don't want to sacrifice everything to AC, and a lot of the stuff does come with nifty class features, like the ability to cast spells (while TWF, yay), an arcane pool, and inspiration pool, and the ability to use maneuvers/stances as a level 9 initiator (8 Magus/Stalker, 2 Warder/SoW). You will have your Int also be added twice to your Init. I haven't even kept track of skill points but because you're a Human with a high Int you have like a billion with more class skills than not. The weaknesses I see are in offensive ability because I've sacrificed a lot of for a high unarmored defense, including the ability to have a lot of maneuvers/stances. You'll probably have to mix up the class progression a bit so you can get Battle Dragon Stance at an early level. This is why I'm partial to continuing Stalker levels after this, because you're only missing 4 initiator levels, although Bladecaster may be better because you get to keep your arcane and martial progression.

It may be surprising to throw away Dex in a build that leaves the user unarmored, but in my experience the Feat Tax of going Dex wasn't worth it, especially since A LOT of what you're doing is replacing Int for Dex, so having two high stats in conflict is weird. It's funny that the best build to achieve a high AC involves using Intelligence and giving up on wearing any armor.

ALSO QUICK QUESTION. Does using a shield count as "dual-wielding" and can you use Ring of Force Shield as a shield lighter than a buckler? By RAW, an invisible weightless shield is lighter than a buckler, but I am not sure this is what they meant. Because hey if not then pick it up and grab yourself a Two-Handed Weapon instead.

Suggestions, problems, etc. all appreciated.

Jormengand
2015-04-22, 03:15 PM
Suggestion: Take ranks in knowledge (Engineering) and drop the roof on your opponent's head in combat.

Yanisa
2015-04-22, 03:33 PM
Be wary with stacking the same ability score on the same roll, by FAQ (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9sgk) you cannot stack two "untyped intelligence bonuses". But you can stack a dodge intelligence bonus with a untyped intelligence bonus. Also I am also unsure how stacking works with replacing, like replacing Dex with Int and then adding Int on top of it. It seems to go against PF RAI, but the FAQ isn't very clear on that.

Sacrieur
2015-04-22, 03:58 PM
Be wary with stacking the same ability score on the same roll, by FAQ (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9sgk) you cannot stack two "untyped intelligence bonuses". But you can stack a dodge intelligence bonus with a untyped intelligence bonus. Also I am also unsure how stacking works with replacing, like replacing Dex with Int and then adding Int on top of it. It seems to go against PF RAI, but the FAQ isn't very clear on that.

If they don't stack I could throw away either Warder or Student of War. Then take Agile Defense (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/3rd-party-feats/tripod-machine/combat-feats---3rd-party---tripod-machine/agile-defense-combat) (which, in any case, I can take anyway). It may even be better to throw away the Warder class so you can use a Two-Handed Weapon.

Suggestion: Take ranks in knowledge (Engineering) and drop the roof on your opponent's head in combat.

You could even take skill focus in Knowledge (Engineering) to cover the prereq for Student of War.

Jormengand
2015-04-22, 04:50 PM
You could even take skill focus in Knowledge (Engineering) to cover the prereq for Student of War.

Well, dropping the roof on the enemy with cross-class ranks in knowledge (Engineering) is how I use my intelligence score in combat. :roy:

Elricaltovilla
2015-04-22, 05:17 PM
Is your goal here to SAD yourself on INT as much as possible, or just stack as much INT and AC bonuses as possible onto the build?

Secret Wizard
2015-04-22, 06:12 PM
My favorite build is:

Max INT max STR Kensai Magus
NO DEX, keep it at 10
Good CON etc.

Pick up the Artful Dodger, Combat Expertise and a Skill Focus feat on a Knowledge skill (I recommend you go Human and get the Focused Study alternate racial trait)

At level 8, you go Student of War PRC. At Kensai Magus 7/Student of War 2, you get INT to your AC TWICE, because Canny Defense is an insight bonus and Mind over Metal is an untyped bonus.

Sacrieur
2015-04-22, 10:22 PM
Is your goal here to SAD yourself on INT as much as possible, or just stack as much INT and AC bonuses as possible onto the build?

The build is currently unoptimized, I still have a lot of feats to look through and maybe one or more munchkin maneuvers to apply to it. Stacking Int to AC to maximize the crap to AC is perfectly possible. In an earlier version of this build I had AC stacked up to 52 around level 12 with some optimizations. In its current version you can dip into your arcane pool and gain Int as a shield bonus for a round, also a +1 Int gives you a 40 AC. Throw a deflection bonus on there because why not.

My goal is to build a reasonably practical Int-based fighter class, and that involves a lot of stacking of Int into AC.