PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones Character Ideas

Fightmaster
2015-04-22, 06:16 PM
My friends and I have been talking about a game of thrones campaign, and I'm trying to come up with a character idea. I'm thinking that I want to use the tavern brawler feat as I was inspired by Asher from the Game of Thrones game and perhaps implementing dual wielding. Between barbarian, fighter and ranger; which do you think would be the best fit? (I'm playing a monk in another game and I doubt that multi-classing will be a viable option).

Magic Myrmidon
2015-04-22, 06:22 PM
First off, I don't really think DnD is the right system for Game of Thrones. DnD has a TON of magic, GoT has some subtle stuff (at least so far). Also, DnD characters are larger than life in nearly every respect, while most GoT characters might have one exceptional trait, but are basically normal people.

Buuuut if you're set on it, Asher would probably just be a fighter. At least as far as episode 3, he hasn't really shown much rage or anything like that. Sure, he can get angry if you want him too, but I'd say the Mountain is more of a barbarian.

Pyon
2015-04-22, 07:35 PM
Game of Thrones actually has an incredible amount of magic in it. Just, very rare for anyone to actually wield it, so I would cut out almost all magic abilities to the PC. Maybe keep Cleric since that one is the most available one, only to priests of the lord of light.

VoxRationis
2015-04-22, 10:17 PM
The problem with using D&D caster classes for A Song of Ice and Fire is that the magic in that series is dangerous and unreliable (the books refer to it as a "sword without a hilt; there is no way to grip it safely"), and magic in D&D is safe, reliable, and easily used multiple times a day without penalty or risk. Also, for magicians in that series, there's a huge jump in power between "knows a few tricks that appear magic to the medieval eye" and "knows powers which can easily destroy enemies from across the continent without any hope of them surviving." And the main "balance" on this, which is only really balanced for a storybook character, rather than a player, is that the magic is highly unreliable, so Rh'llor may or may not see fit to grant you your powers, for no particularly salient reason. A player would either get completely fed up with playing a red priest or would just roll again and again until they got the shadow assassin, rendering the balance meaningless.

Pyon
2015-04-23, 09:48 AM
The problem with using D&D caster classes for A Song of Ice and Fire is that the magic in that series is dangerous and unreliable (the books refer to it as a "sword without a hilt; there is no way to grip it safely"), and magic in D&D is safe, reliable, and easily used multiple times a day without penalty or risk. Also, for magicians in that series, there's a huge jump in power between "knows a few tricks that appear magic to the medieval eye" and "knows powers which can easily destroy enemies from across the continent without any hope of them surviving." And the main "balance" on this, which is only really balanced for a storybook character, rather than a player, is that the magic is highly unreliable, so Rh'llor may or may not see fit to grant you your powers, for no particularly salient reason. A player would either get completely fed up with playing a red priest or would just roll again and again until they got the shadow assassin, rendering the balance meaningless.

Agreed with all of this. I also think the power difference exists between almost all characters. Some characters are said to be good fighters and all that, and can kick and commoner's ass. But they are ALWAYS outmatched when the serious guns come out. There never seems to be a medium level.

Safety Sword
2015-04-24, 01:33 AM
Thought this thread was named "Game of Gnomes Character Ideas".

Rereads.

Sad face made.

VoxRationis
2015-04-24, 01:39 AM
Agreed with all of this. I also think the power difference exists between almost all characters. Some characters are said to be good fighters and all that, and can kick and commoner's ass. But they are ALWAYS outmatched when the serious guns come out. There never seems to be a medium level.

I think "Never a Matched Fight" needs to be a trope on TVTropes, because it's a frequent offender in various media. It's one of the few consistent flaws in the writing of Stargate: SG1, in my opinion.

Hyena
2015-04-24, 05:04 AM
Ashe may be an open hand monk.
He frequently uses fists in swordfights, and both handaxe and shortsword are monk weapons.