PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed A search for art.

rhysclifford
2015-04-22, 07:15 PM
Hi i am trying to help my partner come up with a background for an event, the setting is forgotten realms year 1351.

Now the idea is she wants to send a bunch of people of in search of lost works of art for the temple of beauty. so i am after suggestions of dungeons, pieces of art or famous artists. its best if we only use areas on the sword coast

thanks for the help

GilesTheCleric
2015-04-23, 01:14 AM
Do you mean in-setting artists, or RL artists?

WeaselGuy
2015-04-23, 01:40 AM
Hmm... getting down to the nitty gritty are we... Well, off the top of my head, I would imagine Candlekeep Library probably has a collection in their vaults. Don't know how well it would fit in to your campaign to be liberating artwork from a library, but... yeah. That's all I really have.

Oh, dragons. They tend to have artwork in their hoards. Elves would probably hang on to particularly well made sculptures and maybe instruments. Dwarves would probably have jewelry too. Drow are rather fond of mirrors, from what I understand, viewing them as a bit of a novelty since they require light to really function, and most of their vision takes place in the infrared spectrum. They would also probably collect artwork of various types just so the surface races can't have them.

rhysclifford
2015-04-23, 02:10 AM
Do you mean in-setting artists, or RL artists?

In-setting.

Dragons might work, but i would need what dungeons in the area containing dragons not including durlags or white peeks as they have been done already.

WeaselGuy
2015-04-23, 02:17 AM
Try the Dragons of Faerun book. I would imagine they probably have locations of dragon lairs in there. What was the name of the city where Drizz't was travelling with those monks in his 3rd book (Sojourn, I think it was)? I remember he was down below the city and got into a discussion with a red dragon. Been about 10 years since I read that particular book though.

Bullet06320
2015-04-23, 04:32 AM
candle keep probly doesn't sell it, and looting it is probly not the best idea, but making copies for a fee would probly be allowed

and waterdeep is probly a good place, its a large trade port, with a lot of wealth and nobility, there is probly an art market, so getting commissioned work wouldn't be too hard, nobles down on their luck needing qwick cash, nobles needing to be pilfered from, and the black market trade are all possibilities

Psyren
2015-04-23, 10:14 AM
Lost Empires of Faerun is littered with ancient ruin info. I imagine that places like Netheril and the elves of Myth Drannor had plenty of art lying around, including art with magical properties (much like Time Lord art.)