PDA

View Full Version : DM Help HoTDQ and reincarnate

j_spencer93
2015-04-22, 09:31 PM
My players want to know if a priest in the city is able to raise the dead (revive and defeated pc). Would one that high level be found here?
Mainly curious in reincarnate, would a priest high enough level exist in this city.

Draken
2015-04-22, 10:48 PM
My players want to know if a priest in the city is able to raise the dead (revive and defeated pc). Would one that high level be found here?
Mainly curious in reincarnate, would a priest high enough level exist in this city.

Ask yourself a more important question.

Do you want to revive the dead character?

Rhaegar14
2015-04-23, 12:29 AM
Assuming the city in question is Waterdeep, the biggest city in the entirety of the Sword Coast, yes, they could definitely find a Cleric that could cast Raise Dead. I have no idea why they would be looking for a Druid to cast Reincarnate, though.

Jeraa
2015-04-23, 12:41 AM
Which city?

Greenest - most likely not
Elturel - possibly
Baldur's Gate - most likely
Waterdeep - yes

j_spencer93
2015-04-23, 07:24 AM
Which city?

Greenest - most likely not
Elturel - possibly
Baldur's Gate - most likely
Waterdeep - yes

It was greenest in question. So i will tell them no its not possible here. Secondly who said druid lol?

Yagyujubei
2015-04-23, 08:37 AM
It was greenest in question. So i will tell them no its not possible here. Secondly who said druid lol?

did they already use their 1 time free pass revive? I think they were called bahamut's tears? in adventure league at my game shop everyone was handed out 1 at the start or the campaign in our folders.

Jeraa
2015-04-23, 10:12 AM

You were specifically interested in Reincarnate. Which is, as far as I know, a druid only spell.

Priests (by which I assume you mean clerics) get Raise Dead, not Reincarnate.

j_spencer93
2015-04-23, 02:26 PM
You know I didn't even look to see who learned that spell, is interesting to note the players are renown elves from a large "tribe" so that might be their ticket to it. Also, i wasn't aware everyone got a free 1st time revive...
Also i just used the word priest to cover anyone divine who is able to do this.

Falcon X
2015-04-23, 02:37 PM
Here's what I did:

I PLANNED for the local priest to have a single dose of a revive potion (Bahamut's Tears?) that was given to him upon ordination. He was said to save it for a special circumstance. As a DM, this meant that he would revive ONE character if they were heroic enough.

In my game, it went down like this: The Paladin (read: Big Stupid Fighter), leaped off the keep's parapet to make a charge attack against the dragon in mid-air. He rolled a 4 on his dex check, but got a crit on the hit (which is one way to drive away the dragon).
So, I said "You make a heroic leap and throw your spear through the dragon at the shoulder... In draconic you hear it say something like 'forget this' and it flies off. Alas, the Paladin missed jumping onto the dragon and fell to his death."
The team ran down to ground level and mourned (the players were in an uproar), but then Greenest's Cleric stepped forward and said that the Paladin had saved so many lives and was the bravest man he'd met. And then he took him inside and revived him with his potion.

Maxilian
2015-04-23, 03:06 PM
You know I didn't even look to see who learned that spell, is interesting to note the players are renown elves from a large "tribe" so that might be their ticket to it. Also, i wasn't aware everyone got a free 1st time revive...
Also i just used the word priest to cover anyone divine who is able to do this.

That is in the hands of the DM, in my case... we don't get free revive, we could ressurect a guy once (Revivify to the rescue!) only to have the same guy die once more in the last boss (LMoP)...

j_spencer93
2015-04-23, 05:07 PM
I think i will allow 1 revive, like a priest at the keep can do it. But only one and after that they have no means to it.