PDA

View Full Version : first character in 5.0 you played?

gunrock82
2015-04-23, 12:03 AM
The first and still surviving character I played in 5.0 is Mordecai, a tiefling sorcerer. I began building the character with the mindset that he doesn't understand where his magic comes from, which was one build example. So my backgrounds state that I sold my soul for knowledge. That I know lore or where I can find it. That I can't keep a secret to save my life. So with the basis of not knowing where my magic comes from I don't choose my spells, I have the other players roll randomly for my spells. Since my character doesn't understand his magic I've chosen not to have a say in what he gets. Not only that but he is a wild mage so on top of doing spells he rolls on the wild magic table. He is currently a blue tiefling that just gained wall of fire.

Magic Myrmidon
2015-04-23, 12:09 AM
Good choice of first 5.0 character. I say that because I also played a tiefling. :p Mine was a tiefling arcane trickster, though. Had a lot of fun with him. I decided he descended from a chain devil, so the DM let me trade out one of my proficiencies for whip proficiency, which almost had a mind of it's own. I also flavored all of my spells along that line. Color spray was a handful of fiery ash. Fire bolt was a flaming chain that shot out of a whip crack. And so on.

Really like his backstory, too. It's lengthy though.

When Zherthor was 8, his dad was killed in a rather chaotic scene. From an outsider's perspective, he and his mom were freed from the grasp of a chain devil, and given freedom. But to Zherthor and his mom, they had lost a caring father and husband.
Years before Zherthor's birth, his mother, Rebecca Talrega, was a paladin of Heironius, tasked with freeing undeserving prisoners from The Iron Tower in Dis, the second circle of Hell. Rebecca fought past Avernus and the River Styx, and reached the Iron Tower in the second circle. She proceeded with her quest, slaying devil after devil, but found a chance to infiltrate further without being detected. As she was sneaking through the prison, she overheard a conversation between two devils. She was surprised to hear that one of them was refusing to torture a subset of prisoners. Apparently, he delighted in torturing those who truly deserved it, and was very good at it. But prisoners abducted before they had truly condemned themselves were not worthy of his treatment. Something about this chain devil's choice struck a chord with Rebecca. She continued to free the prisoners, but held back against the chain devil. He would not leave without a fight, but she managed to best him, and take him away from Dis.

A long, arduous process of redemption began. Teaching that there were ways to punish other than torture, what justice was, and that evil only begets more evil was difficult, but eventually, Rebecca broke through to the chain devil. He resolved to only imprison those who deserved it, to never torture, and he even began to worship Heironius, insofar as Heironius would accept a devil's worship. The chain devil's redemption was true, and the pair eventually fell in love.

For Zherthor's part, he was raised believing in the tenets of Heironius. His mother and father instilled a sense of justice and good into him, and his devilish blood did not have a hold on him. Nonetheless, society was not very accepting of a tiefling, nor his father. As such, the family had to live away from civilization. For years, they lived together, with Rebecca making trips to towns to get supplies, and to right what wrongs she could without giving away her husband or son.

Eventually, however, war broke out between magical creatures and humanity. The king was relentless in his zeal, and any magical creature caught by his army was put to the sword. The army marched against any magical creature, and mitigating circumstances were largely ignored.

Sadly, a patrol of soldiers found Zherthor's home in the wilderness. The soldiers did not stop to ask questions, and immediately began to attack. The parents fought off the soldiers, but reinforcements kept coming, and eventually, Zherthor's father was fatally wounded. In a last stand, Rebecca flew into a blind rage, slaughtering the few remaining soldiers. Even the last, who dropped his weapon and surrendered, was not spared. In her attempts to protect her family, Rebecca had slain innocents, and surrendering opponents. As her blade fell, so did Heironius's judgement. Rebecca fell from paladinhood, and was stripped of any divine aid that she had been given.

After the attack, Rebecca and Zherthor were forced to flee the country after the chain devil succumbed to his wounds and faded away. They eventually found their way to (city name to be determined), and settled down there.

Part 2: Zherthor (now going mainly by Zach) and his mom lived pretty well off of Rebecca's adventuring savings. Nonetheless, Rebecca wanted her son to have some way to make a living, so Zach began as an apprentice leatherworker. He got pretty good at it. While he worked there, he made some good friends, but they were mainly from the slums of the city. Higher-class citizens typically didn't want to associate with devil-blooded creatures.

As he worked there, one of his friends began telling him of a slumlord that had begun to do terrible things in the friend's part of the city. Every week, his friend would tell him of atrocities, and eventually, Zach decided that he couldn't let his friend, nor the people of that part of the city suffer any longer. Unfortunately, Rebecca had sworn against violence ever since her fall, but she knew her son was no longer a child, and he was following the tenets of Heironius. She gave him what advice she could, and let him do what he had to do.

Zach gathered the people he could, and stormed the slumlord's tenements. The slumlord's guards fought, and some of the people were lost, but in the end, Zach was victorious.

Things don't magically get better after getting rid of a bad guy, though. People were still in need of help. Zach let his leatherworking teacher know that he couldn't continue his apprenticeship, and went to live in the slums, becoming something resembling a de facto "leader of the people" in that small section of the city. Sure, there were other slums with other problems, nobles who wanted more and more from them, and the simple elements to withstand, but Zach had made a difference. He wanted to continue to help.

Giant2005
2015-04-23, 12:11 AM
I played a Haf-Elf Bard that I don't really remember anything about. He only got to level 2 before the campaign was abandoned but on the bright side, that was enough for me to catch the 5e bug and I threw away my other games in order to dedicate myself to this one.

Inevitability
2015-04-23, 12:25 AM
Hm... Well, I first DM'ed, mostly. I believe my first real character was a human evocation wizard with the soldier background.

Backstory was that he used to be a corporal in a large army, with him leading a small unit of warmages. During a massive battle with a goblin force, his unit was wiped out and he himself barely survived. Since then, he has become a mercenary, spending his earned coin on booze.

Personality-wise, he was a bit conflicted. While he thought of his companions as subordinates in the army, he also deeply feared they'd die. One of my favorite moments with him was him dashing off the side of a tree, ending up next to the PC who'd bolted, jumped out and gone unconscious, then forcing a healing potion down said PC's throat. After the battle, they had a long talk on abandoning allies and the like.

Rogue Shadows
2015-04-23, 01:54 AM
My first 5E character, Iliira, is a recreation of my first D&D character from Baldur's Gate, the game that got me into D&D in the first place (and as such when people ask I usually say I started D&D with 2nd Edition even though saying 3rd would be a bit more honest). Due to me usually DMing D&D-based games, however, this is my first chance to actually play Iliira in a pen-and-paper game; otherwise I've only ever been able to play her in computer games like aforementioned Gate or Neverwinter Nights or the like. I've divorced her background from Baldur's Gate, and I'm really happy to finally be playing her for real rather than within the confines of a video game.

As for her story...I'll just post the character questionnaire thing for details. It's a wee bit long, but that's why we have spoilers.

Part 1: The Basics

1. What is your full name?
Huh, complicated question right off the bat…I guess the most accurate would be Iliira, Daughter of Gorben, of Ulgoth’s Beard. But I guess another right way to answer would be Iliira Ii’ilmerias of House Ii’ilmerias, Third House of Sschindylryn. Except the House doesn’t exist anymore…so, yeah. First one.

According to Dad, mom is the one that named me. Iliira means “starlight” in archaic Drow. It’s a really obscure word, though.

2. Where and when were you born?
Twenty-seven years ago –1462 DR, The Year of the Elves’ Weeping, in the village of Ulgoth’s Beard. It was the 12th of Mirtul (the Melting). I don’t think mad ol’ Harptos was referring to me with the name of the year, though.

3. Who are/were your parents? (Know their names, occupations, personalities, etc.)
Yikes, even more complicated…my mother was Avaunya Ii’ilmerias, the exiled matron of House Ii’ilmerias. I say “exiled,” but really she was running away from her House’s destruction, ended up on the surface…long story. I don’t know who my biological father was, and from what I know about drow I doubt my mom did, either. Or cared. My mom died giving birth to me.

My dad is a man named Gorben. He runs the inn and tavern at Ulgoth’s Beard, the Mucky Duck. He’s exactly what you want an innkeeper to be – big and strong and warm and inviting and fun to be around. Dad doesn’t let any trouble start in his inn.

I don’t have any siblings, but Dad has been courting a woman named Jhessa back in Ulgoth’s Beard. She’s a fisher’s widow – Umberlee took her husband – and has a few kids already. I guess that means that I might have some step-siblings too. I hope that Dad and Jhessa hit things off.

4. Do you have any siblings? What are/were they like?
No, I was an only child.

5. Where do you live now, and with whom? Describe the place and the person/people.
Well, most recently I lived in Baldur’s Gate, but some…stuff…happened there and I kind of have to lay low for a while, out of town. I lived in…a guildhall.

6. What is your occupation?
I work in…acquisitions. The night shift of acquisitions.

Oh, whatever. I’m a thief. I steal things. Big things, little things. Not from those who can’t afford it, though. Mostly I specialize in burglaries and break-ins of big estates in the Gate.

7. Write a full physical description of yourself. You might want to consider factors such as: height, weight, race, hair and eye color, style of dress, and any tattoos, scars, or distinguishing marks.
Okay, um…I stand 5’ 5’’ tall, which I’m told is tall for any elf, let alone a drow. I think it’s because I had a better diet growing up. I weigh 117 pounds. My skin is black, my eyes are red, and my hair is white. I like to keep that short around the eyes but long down my back, though I usually braid it a little to keep it out of the way. Clothing-wise I try to dress simple and dark, loose enough to move in but not so loose that it might get caught in something. Oh, and a big cape with a big and deep hood.

8. To which social class do you belong?
Criminal, I guess. If I lived in Ulgoth’s Beard I guess I’d be a free woman.

9. Do you have any allergies, diseases, or other physical weaknesses?
Not really…although, being a drow living on the surface, I guess you could sort of call that a weakness.

10. Are you right- or left-handed?
Ambidextrous. I prefer my left hand, normally, but I can actually write or work with either.

11. What does your voice sound like?
Um…nice, I guess? I’m told I can hold a tune.

12. What words and/or phrases do you use very frequently?
Hmm...can't really think of anything in particular.

13. What do you have in your pockets?
A few coins, this ring I found, some dice, a wallet – probably not yours, so don’t worry – some ball bearings…you have no idea how useful those last can be, by the way.

14. Do you have any quirks, strange mannerisms, annoying habits, or other defining characteristics?
I think I might be a kleptomaniac. I also can’t help but sort of case a room on entering it…trying to locate the goodies. I also have a tendency to count my steps when going up or down stairs. Oh, and I’m never really comfortable being the center of attention.

Part 2: Growing Up

15. How would you describe your childhood in general?
Good! Yeah, I know, surprising for a drow, right? But Ulgoth’s Beard is a small hamlet, not a lot of people in it. We were founded to warn Baldur’s Gate about pirate attacks, but those don’t really happen against the Gate anymore and haven’t for hundreds of years. Not a lot of people stop by, either. So mostly I had a chance to grow up around the other kids and people learned that I wasn’t evil or anything. Dad loved me.

16. What is your earliest memory?
Hmm…sitting behind the counter of the tavern, looking over it at the inn. It was late night, I think…yeah, had to be, ‘cause the shepherds and fishers were coming in for their end-of-the-tenday libations.

17. How much schooling have you had?
Eh…not that much. I know how to read and write, and I can do my maths. Actually I’m pretty good at that. Mostly though I learned stuff over time. I love reading, though. Not much else to do when you can’t exactly walk in public.

18. Did you enjoy school?
Didn’t go. I enjoy reading, though.

19. Where did you learn most of your skills and other abilities?
I can run a tavern if need be, mix drinks, keep a good accounting…but that’s not really what you mean, is it? Most of my thiefing I learned on the streets of Baldur’s Gate. Started out as just another urchin, but the Guild caught me. I had talent, though, and I think the fact that I was a dark elf amused the Guildmaster, Nine-Fingers. So they took me in. I moved out of pick-pocketing and cutpursing early, started in on burglaries. That’s where I got my chance to shine. Put a lock in front of me and I’ll open it right quick.

20. While growing up, did you have any role models? If so, describe them.
My dad taught me to be a good person, no matter what else I might be doing. I mean, yeah, I steal from people for a living, but that doesn’t mean I have to be cruel. I don’t think Dad would approve of my lifestyle choice…but it’s really not about the money. I’m only 27, I’ve got centuries of life in front of me. I want to have fun with them. And burglary is fun.

21. While growing up, how did you get along with the other members of your family?
There was just my dad. We got along great…well, as great as a drow girl growing up amongst humans can expected to be, anyway. Which is apparently pretty good.

22. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A pirate! Of course, then I learned how cruel and evil pirates tend to be…gotta say that that was kind of a let-down. For a while I wanted to run the tavern at Ulgoth’s Beard, but that didn’t last long. I gotta find my own way in the world.

23. As a child, what were your favorite activities?
I liked playing down on the beach, or climbing the lighthouse. From the outside. Dad didn’t like that so much…oh, and I loved it when I got to go out on a boat! Didn’t happen much, didn’t have too much talent for fishing, but it happened occasionally.

24. As a child, what kinds of personality traits did you display?
I…uh, I was actually kind of a little hellion, has to be said. I liked to sneak around after people, and I might have, very occasionally, stolen a few trinkets. Never anything much, and it’s not like the other kids didn’t as well! I was just the best at it.

25. As a child, were you popular? Who were your friends, and what were they like?
I don’t know if I can really be said to have been popular…I didn’t have any enemies, though. As for friends…I had a bunch, the village was too small for us not to all know each other. Thing sis, I’m an elf, so I age slower…see, when I was 10 years old, I was really more like a six-year-old human. My best friend at that age was a six-year-old named Tamra. But five years later (I’m 15) she was 11 and I was more like 9. When she turned 15 and I was turning 20, she got married, while I’m basically just turning 12 in human terms. It was like that with all my friends…I just didn’t grow up as fast as them. Tamra had her first kid when I was only just starting to become a full adult. Still, that’s mostly stopped by now, and I’m glad that if I ever make my way back to Ulgoth’s Beard, I’ll be just as grown-up as all my old friends.

26. When and with whom was your first kiss?
Heh…a boy named Kethan, on a dare from Tamra, when I was 14. Nothing came out of it.

27. Are you a virgin? If not, when and with whom did you lose your virginity?
That’s way too personal and I’m not answering that.

28. Describe any influences in your past that led you to do the things you do today.
That’s…ugh, that’s kind of the worst memory of my life. See, Ulgoth’s Beard is small and out-of-the-way and no one ever really goes to it. A few merchants every season, but that’s it. They all got a chance to get to know me when I was still just a baby growing up, and my father wouldn’t let anyone have anything bad to say about me. Before I could even walk or talk everyone was basically okay with who and what I was. But then…one year, when I was just turning 21, some adventurers were passing through Ulgoth’s Beard, on their way to one damn fool adventure or another. Thing is that one of them, a half-elf named Calarand, has lost his entire family to a dark elf raid on the surface. He attacked me without thinking, without really realizing that I was still just a child.

Dad got the drop on him, laid him out with one punch – Dad liked to keep in shape, to take care of any drunks that wandered through the area – but…well, it kind of hurt me, what Calarand said and accused me of when trying to kill me. Which, right, he was trying to kill me, that wasn’t fun, either. It was the first time I clearly remember anyone taking issue with my drow nature, and after that I kind of started wondering if everyone in the world was like that, maybe if the entire village was like that and just kept it secret, if everyone really hated me…Dad tried to convince me otherwise, but…

Well, I stole a horse and ran away. I shouldn’t have, I know, it was wrong, but I was just…stupid. I ended up travelling to Baldur’s Gate. I originally just wanted to sneak in to steal some food, I don’t know what I was planning beyond that, but the Guild found me, and…well, from there, the rest is history.

I went back to Ulgoth’s Beard a few years ago, to prove to my dad that I was okay, that everything was fine, that I was still alive. I wanted to stay in the village, but…after living in the Gate, after what happened, I couldn’t live in Ulgoth’s Beard anymore. Dad understood, thankfully. I still write him letters – I leave out what I actually do for a living, as far as Dad knows I’m a jeweler, heh – and I try to go back every few years.

Part 3: Past Influences

29. What do you consider the most important event of your life so far?
What I wrote up above. Though, I guess second-most important would be when I first met the Guild in Baldur’s Gate. I was brought straight to Nine-Fingers, the Guildmaster…she said that she’d let me live if I could steal a hundred silver worth of stuff and bring it back to her. Up to that point I’d been in the Gate just a few days and mostly just stole food, since it wasn’t like I could really buy anything, being a drow…but I managed it. And that’s when my kleptomania was born, I guess you could say.

30. Who has had the most influence on you?
Dad. After that, Nine-Fingers.

31. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Aw, it was awesome. The Nurthammas – a rich noble family in Baldur’s Gate – had pissed off Nine-Fingers something fierce, and she wanted revenge. So she got half the guild together, it seemed, when the Nurthammas left the Gate for some reason or another about half a year later. Holiday, I think. Then all the guards we could were bribed to take the night off, and the staff, too, and anyone who couldn’t be bribed was knocked out with sleep powder. Then we and the rest of the guild broke in and stole, like, everything. Everything. Every damn thing. My wardrobe, like, tripled in size. It was awesome.

32. What is your greatest regret?
Running away from home like I did.

33. What is the most evil thing you have ever done?
Hmm…well, I steal from people on a regular basis. But probably that Nurthammas job, in particular, since we left them with nothing in their house. I mean, they were okay, most of their wealth was tied up in shipping interests and they made everything back in, at most, a year.

34. Do you have a criminal record of any kind?
No. Never been caught, by the law, anyway.

35. When was the time you were the most frightened?
Gotta be when I was first caught by the Guild and brought before Nine-Fingers. I thought I was gonna die.

36. What is the most embarrassing thing ever to happen to you?
Honestly…probably that first kiss I mentioned up there.

37. If you could change one thing from your past, what would it be, and why?
Mmn…nothing, actually. My life has had good times and bad times, but I don’t regret any of it, because it’s what’s made me who I am.

38. What is your best memory?
Helping Dad run the Mucky Duck. No one point during it, just the general memory. I might not be cut out to be an innkeeper, but I love the memories.

39. What is your worst memory?
The half-elf attacking me. No contest.

Part 4: Beliefs And Opinions

40. Are you basically optimistic or pessimistic?
I’m an optimist. I don’t see the point in being anything else.

41. What is your greatest fear?
Outside of Dad dying, which I know is gonna happen someday…I think it’s doing something so terrible that I actually live up to my drow heritage.

42. What are your religious views?
My patron deity is Tymora, The Lady Who Smiles. Goddess of good fortune. I think I’d had an abundance of that in my life; my coin landed face-up. I guess at the same time, though, I offer respect and deference to Beshaba, the Maid of Misfortune, in the hopes that bad luck will be kept at bay. But Tymora is my patron, definitely. I'm...not particularly devout, though.

43. What are your political views?
None, really. I guess I think that the leaders should rule with a light touch, but then that might just be because I don’t want the guard to be too well funded and make my life too difficult as a result.

44. What are your views on sex?
Too personal. Not answering.

45. Are you able to kill? Under what circumstances do you find killing to be acceptable or unacceptable?
I’ve…never killed, though I’ve seen it happen. I don’t want to kill anyone. A good thief should never have to, should never even be seen in the first place. I know that Nine-Fingers has definitely had rivals killed or other stuff to make a point, though. I don’t like it, and I’ve tried to ignore it. Not much choice if you want to live as a thief in Baldur’s Gate.

46. In your opinion, what is the most evil thing a person could do?
Kill someone for no reason. Just straight-up psychopathic murder.

47. Do you believe in the existence of soul mates and/or true love?
I think I’d like to.

48. What do you believe makes a successful life?
Lots of money and very few worries. A full stomach, a warm place to sleep at night, and good friends.

49. How honest are you about your thoughts and feelings (i.e. do you hide your true self from others, and in what way)?
Well, I literally hide my true self from anyone who doesn’t know me as a dark elf. But otherwise, no, not really. I wear my heart on my sleeve.

50. Do you have any biases or prejudices?
I don’t like dogs, really, but that’s because of my, ah, profession. Otherwise no, not really.

51. Is there anything you absolutely refuse to do under any circumstances? Why do you refuse to do it?
Kill. I stood up to Nine-Fingers on this one, in private, at least, where she wouldn’t have to put me down to keep her standing. I won’t kill someone if I don’t have to.

52. Who or what, if anything, would you die for (or otherwise go to extremes for)?
My dad, and my friends. Other than that…I don’t know. Never really occurred to me.

Part 5: Relationships With Others

53. In general, how do you treat others (politely, rudely, by keeping them at a distance, etc.)?
I keep my distance normally, mostly because, y’know, drow.

54. Does your treatment of them change depending on how well you know them?
Yeah, a lot. If I know someone well enough to reveal my heritage to them, that I’m a drow, and they’re okay with that, then as far as I’m concerned we’re best friends. There’s not many I can do that with, though.

55. Who is the most important person in your life, and why?
My dad. After that…dunno.

56. Who is the person you respect the most, and why?
Dad. Ulgoth’s Beard didn’t used to have a tavern at all. He built it himself and got it running all by himself, before meeting my mother.

57. Who are your friends? Do you have a best friend? Describe these people.
I’ve got associates at the Guild. Thieves don’t tend to become friends with other, though. I guess my closest equivalents would be Derak and Alton. They’re fellow members of the Guild. Derak specializes in burglary, like me – actually taught me a lot of what I know about the trade. Alton’s more into cons and sleight-of-hand. Taught me a little of that, though given what I am I don’t get to practice it much.

58. Do you have a spouse or significant other? If so, describe this person.
No, I don’t.

59. Have you ever been in love? If so, describe what happened.
Too personal. Not answering.

60. What do you look for in a potential lover?
Seriously, cut it out.

61. How close are you to your family?
I…used to be closer to Dad, before running away and living in Baldur’s Gate. I still love him, and I know he still loves me. I think some part of him hoped that I’d take over the Mucky Duck. Maybe that will still happen, some day. But I don’t think so.

62. Have you started your own family? If so, describe them. If not, do you want to? Why or why not?
No, I haven’t. And…maybe. But I’m only 27. I’ve got centuries to think about a family.

63. Who would you turn to if you were in desperate need of help?
The Guild. It looks after its own, as long as you’re not in trouble for your own stupid reasons. Actually that happened recently. It’s how I ended up in Greenest.

64. Do you trust anyone to protect you? Who, and why?
My dad, because he’s my dad. The Guild too, to an extent…but only as long as it was profitable.

65. If you died or went missing, who would miss you?
Dad and most of Ulgoth’s Beard – I know because it happened. Maybe Alton and Derak.

66. Who is the person you despise the most, and why?
…at the end of the day…Nine-Fingers. I respect her immensely, she’s the leader of the Guild in Baldur’s Gate. But you don’t become the leader of a thieves’ guild by being a nice person. She’s hurt people – killed people. I’d change things if I could. I was only part of the Guild because I had to be.

67. Do you tend to argue with people, or avoid conflict?
Little of both.

68. Do you tend to take on leadership roles in social situations?
No, not really. Who’d follow a drow?

69. Do you like interacting with large groups of people? Why or why not?
As long as they can’t see me, and we define ‘interacting’ as ‘checking the contents of their pockets,’ then sure, I like it. Actually, like, mingling, or being the center of attention? No. Not at all. It’s rarely a good thing for a surface drow.

70. Do you care what others think of you?
Not really, no. My default assumption is that they’re going to be afraid of me, but I can understand why and don’t really blame them. Much…

Part 6: Likes And Dislikes

71. What is/are your favorite hobbies and pastimes?
Reading, mostly. With some of the Guild we play a few different dice games, too, though games like that between thieves tend to be kind of tense. There’s no honor amongst thieves and most everyone is so paranoid that they’re gonna be stolen from. I don’t get it, really. I steal from him, he steals form her, she steals from me…pretty sure the balance ends up being basically the same.

72. What is your most treasured possession?
My scarf. It belonged to my mother. It was a…I think they’re called pivafee or something. Anyway, it used to be magical, and a cloak, it was a mark of a dark elf noble. Exposure to sunlight made it loose its magic, but it’s still something that was hers, that I wear. I love it.

73. What is your favorite color?
Blue, like the sea. I’m a big fan of gold, too, for the obvious reasons.

74. What is your favorite food?
Ooh, steamed lobster tails, definitely.

75. What, if anything, do you like to read?
I’ll read anything I can get my hands on. Whenever I break into a merchant or noble’s home I make sure to grab a book as well as whatever wealth I can. I like tales about adventures, mostly.

76. What is your idea of good entertainment (consider music, movies, art, etc.)?
I’ve snuck into a few plays. They were fun. I like comedies the best – they have happy endings.

77. Do you smoke, drink, or use drugs? If so, why? Do you want to quit?
I drink a little. Comes with being an innkeep’s daughter, there was basically free ale. I can hold my own if I have to. Drugs or smoke, no, I don’t. I might live to be 500, or even older, if I take care of myself. That’s what I’m going to do.

78. How do you spend a typical end-of-the-tenday night?
Not really any different from day to day, really. I don’t exactly have a steady profession. Actually really most of my days can be spent in leisure.

79. What makes you laugh?
Funny things? I dunno. I love a good joke. The longer the setup, the better, I think, as long as the payoff is good.

80. What, if anything, shocks or offends you?
People being cruel for no reason.

81. What would you do if you had insomnia and had to find something to do to amuse yourself?
Read. I know better than to go out and try and practice the trade when sleepy – which, just because I can’t get to sleep, doesn’t mean I’m working at peak capacity.

82. How do you deal with stress?
Pretty well, I think. I try to just focus on the thing right in front of me, rather than worry about the long-term.

83. Are you spontaneous, or do you always need to have a plan?
Spontaneous, mostly. In my experience most plans fall part way before first contact with the enemy. Though I do like to scope out a situation before getting into one so that I can have at least some idea of what to expect.

84. What are your pet peeves?
Dogs. Guard dogs, specifically. Guard dogs that can’t be bribed by a good steak, in particular.

Part 7: Self Images And Etc.

85. Describe the routine of a normal day for you. How do you feel when this routine is disrupted?
Well, I’m something of a nighthawk, both because I’m drow and so I see better in the dark, and because my ‘profession’ requires it. So I tend to wake up around, say, twilight. I grab breakfast, then see what the day brings. I didn’t become a thief so that I could work day in and day out. Usually I spend my time reading or exploring Baldur’s Gate, maybe play a few games of dice with other Guild members. If it’s a pre-game day then I’m spending time casing wherever I’m planning on hitting up, watching for guards, looking for patterns and habits in my targets, and so on. Especially I’m trying to take note if they have dogs. I don’t like dogs.

I don’t really mind if my schedule is disrupted. I didn’t become a thief so that I could work dawn to dusk slaving away at the same routine.

86. What is your greatest strength as a person?
My flexibility, I think. That is, both my literal flexibility – I could have been an acrobat – and my flexible nature with regards to plans and stuff. I like to go with the flow, mostly, and make as few ripples as I can.

87. What is your greatest weakness?
To be honest…probably my flexibility. I mean, okay, I also can’t help but think about how to steal something when I see something valuable – the Guild sort of created a monster like that. But mostly I think it’s my lack of long-term planning. I don’t ever really think about more than just what’s in front of me.

88. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
Race. I’m really not comfortable with this fact about me, but…if I could be a normal elf, or even a human…I’d love it. I’d like to be able to walk down a city street without a hood, in broad daylight. I’d like it if the sun didn’t hurt my eyes so much.

89. Are you generally introverted or extroverted?
I…don’t really know how to answer that. I like to be able to talk to people who know me, socialize with them. I’d love to be able to go to parties or something. But I can’t really ever reveal who or what I am, because people will be afraid. So I guess extroverted in theory, but introverted in practice.

90. Are you generally organized or messy?
Messy, for the most part. Except with my money. I know where every last copper is, always. Dad taught me that.

91. Name three things you consider yourself to be very good at, and three things you consider yourself to be very bad at.
Good – thiefing, hiding, and improvisation. Bad – making new friends, not taking things that don’t belong to me, and I’m not much use in a straight-up fight, either.

92. Do you like yourself?
Yeah. In spite of everything, yeah, I do.

93. What are your reasons for being an adventurer?
Adventurer…? I’m a thief. I’m just in Greenest until a…thing…blows over. I’m not an adventurer. Why? Do you know something I don’t?

94. What goal do you most want to accomplish in your lifetime?
I try not to think that far ahead.

95. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
I try not to think that far ahead, either.

96. If you could choose, how would you want to die?
Really old age.

97. If you knew you were going to die in 24 hours, name three things you would do in the time you had left.
Um – write a letter to Dad, if I wasn’t close enough to just go to Ulgoth’s Beard myself. I’d want to spend time with him if possible. If not…then I’d spend it having fun.

98. What is the one thing for which you would most like to be remembered after your death?
I’d…I’d like to be remembered at all. Rather than just another drow stuck on the surface.

99. What three words best describe your personality?
Needlessly optimistic. I can’t think of a third.

100. What three words would others probably use to describe you?
“Ah! A drow!”

101. If you could, what advice would you, the player, give to your character?
“Iliira – just keep doing whatever you’re doing. Things will work out okay in the end. They always do.”

Kane0
2015-04-23, 02:13 AM
My first was a level 5 variant human fighter with lucky as his feat and specializing in warhamner + shield.
His defining characteristic? Sadomasochism. He would gladly approach and face every danger ahead of everybody else not out of a sense of honor or glory, but the chance to inflict and recieve the most pain possible. This quirk was carefully concealed behind a facade of pride in his skills and a mercenary attitude.
The truly remarkable thing was that he didn't die.
Edit: his name was Reginald Harkin, and usually reacted very badly to being called reggie.

Dhavaer
2015-04-23, 03:05 AM
Lao Bai, a human wizard with outstanding knowledge of the history of remote continents, but very poor aim.

Merc_Kilsek
2015-04-23, 03:22 AM
Ren Wind-rider, Human Fighter Champion (archer based). I really enjoyed the character a lot. Been a long time since playing a pure fighter character that I personal enjoyed.

Theodoxus
2015-04-23, 05:11 AM
Sir Reginaldi, variant human Noble BM fighter with retainers and the Sentinel feat. Was a tank, and was very enjoyable. Only got to 4th level before the game disintegrated. I got to use Shield Master only once in combat, but what a rush. I had planned on MC to Paladin with him (we needed extra healing). Though if I were to reincarnate him, I'd probably just go straight Paladin.

JAL_1138
2015-04-23, 05:22 AM
First character was a Lvl 1 valor bard, variant human, warcaster feat, charlatan background.

I might try half-elf bard sometime for the extra skills and the CHA boost, hold off on the feat a few levels.

...I see no reason to stop playing bards, unless maybe to play a rogue.

Daishain
2015-04-23, 08:37 AM
First was a human OOA paladin that used a bardiche he crafted himself. Was a blacksmith and member of his town's militia. Was inspired to become something more when a paladin who had no stake in the fight sacrificed himself to protect my guy's home town when all other defenses were falling to an orcish raiding party.

A soft spoken man who had a kind word for most, in many ways he ended up being the binding element for the ragtag group he found himself working with when the caravan he traveled with ran into disaster.

rzalph
2015-04-23, 09:35 AM
Have yet to play, but our group is scheduled to start next weekend.

I'll be DM for (at least) our first campaign. I've only ever played 3.x, and only like 3 sessions at that. Needless to say it'll be a learning experience for all of us (we're all new).

Really excited, so far the group consists of: wood-elf druid, high-elf wizard, human rouge, and a human monk. Plus one more guy who's not sure yet.

Wish us luck!

Yagyujubei
2015-04-23, 10:21 AM
My ninja Rai'un we've been playing for like...6 or 7 months now I guess and he's level 10 with a 8monk/2warlock spread. He started out as an insufferably stoic but it was no fun so i started leaning towards dark/snarky humor with a hint of cockiness.

He did die at one point in the deep roads of the underdark, but was brought back as a living vessel for a fragment of kiranselee's soul by the goddess Illana (dieties are homebrew in our campaign setting) with the task of trying to redeem the fallen demi-goddess. The problem is that now that he is her vessel he's more prone to fits or rage and violence even though he's trying his hardest to keep her in check and stay righteous.

anyway, it's given way to some totally amazing sessions, and the one time he completely lost control thusfar his whole body transformed into basically a shadow of kiranselee's power and let me lay a RIDICULOUS beatdown on these enemy assassins which was fun.

I reflavored the fey pact/way of the shadow abilities into ones where warriors from my clan draw power from the spirits of our ancient ancestors through rituals and Ki manipulation.

Flashy
2015-04-23, 10:51 AM
A dwarf rogue with the entertainer background. I was enthralled by the idea that I could be a bard without it being my class.

Ralanr
2015-04-23, 10:59 AM
First and still playing is my white dragonborn barbarian. He's a little impatient, but if you trust him he'll trust you back and he's smarter than he looks.

He's also proven to be very resourceful on his feet.

eleazzaar
2015-04-23, 11:05 AM
A dwarf rogue with the entertainer background. I was enthralled by the idea that I could be a bard without it being my class.

Backgrounds are a great addition :)

I played a charlatan evocation "mage" for the Next Beta: Murder at Baldur's Gate. There were no "wizards" or "sorcerers" at that point, just "mages". Skills and proficiencies worked totally differently then, so his deception was strong.

His moment of fame was dispatching a city guard with the "Prestidigitation" cantrip.

Be created a warm spots on his arms, and then the appearance of nasty looking spots. Then he ran over and acted horrified, claimed it was some sort of magic plauge that can only be stopped by immediately bathing in holy water, or something that couldn't be had in the area. The guard bought it and ran.

Later he died when the Bhallspawn ran amuck and mostly wipped the party.

Fralex
2015-04-23, 12:27 PM
His moment of fame was dispatching a city guard with the "Prestidigitation" cantrip.

Be created a warm spots on his arms, and then the appearance of nasty looking spots. Then he ran over and acted horrified, claimed it was some sort of magic plauge that can only be stopped by immediately bathing in holy water, or something that couldn't be had in the area. The guard bought it and ran.

Ooh, faking diseases is a creative use of prestidigitation I hadn't thought of!

My first character was for the AL, a forest gnome transmuter with the alchemist background. My DM let me have a homunculus for a familiar since it fit my character, and it saved the lives of at least two party members the very next battle. I decided to give myself a negative Constitution, to see what would happen. In the beginning, I think I got knocked out every session at some point. I wanted to try to do things with alchemist's supplies, but it turns out crafting takes a long time and alchemist's fire is sort of overpriced for what it does (a single-use 50-gp item should have an effect roughly on par with a 1st-level spell). I only used it once, and missed. On the plus side, this lead me to come up with a bunch of homebrewed alchemical items that felt more worthwhile, though I haven't gotten the chance to test them yet.

Tegannie
2015-04-23, 01:43 PM
My first 5th ed character was for a one-shot that we never actually finished. Third level half-elven warlock with the Fiendish patron. She had inherited the warlock pact from her father, the evil advisor to an evil king. She was adventuring to find a way to break both her and her father's pact. Unfortunately, she didn't turn out mechanically how I would've liked her to. I may re-make her at some point, though, and/or use her as a key NPC in a campaign setting I've been coming up with.

wrath
2015-04-23, 02:34 PM
My first 5e character is Erfaron, a chaotic good wood elf hermit druid who worships Rillifane Rallathil and acts as a caretaker for an ancient elven ruin sacred to the Leaflord. With his longbow and Oakheart breastplate he defends the Great Oak from the flames and axes of orcish defilers that have overrun the wilds since the war of nine tribes.

Ziegander
2015-04-23, 02:36 PM
I have sadly not even played 5e at all yet, I have only ever DM'd sessions of it. :smallfrown:

Rad Mage
2015-04-23, 02:47 PM
I'm DMing at the moment but I am looking forward to trying out a monk/barbarian. The concept would be that he was expelled from his monastery for his temper and wanders the world for a while before deciding not to fight it anymore and learns to use his anger.

Safety Sword
2015-04-23, 08:14 PM
I have sadly not even played 5e at all yet, I have only ever DM'd sessions of it. :smallfrown:

I feel your pain. I DM two different groups, have made about a hundred characters and I'm always behind the screen.

As much as I love it, being a PC would be a nice change for a while. It'd be great to only have to think about the motivations and actions of one character.

Arc-Royal
2015-04-26, 02:45 PM
In my current group, we cut our teeth on 5e with HotDQ. We never finished it, but hey, that was my first taste of 5e.

I started up a Vengeance Paladin named Nadja Falkhammer who took the background wherein my family had been in the dragon cult, but someone in the cult slayed my family and thought I was dead. I decided to go for more of a Punisher feel. Unfortunately, my dice seem to be cursed against two-handed weapons and I rarely hit anything when I used my at-will ability "Use Hammer on Person" (really, it was a maul, but that's essentially a giant hammer, so shaddup).

That terrible luck is what drove me to go from carrying two d20s to carrying nine. That way, I can put dice in time-out without running out of dice to roll.

Draken
2015-04-26, 03:10 PM
A monodrone.

It opened the campaign by detecting a rogue that fumbled his hide check and then critting said rogue.

... I am the DM.

Madfellow
2015-04-26, 03:46 PM

I feel your pain. I DM two different groups, have made about a hundred characters and I'm always behind the screen.

As much as I love it, being a PC would be a nice change for a while. It'd be great to only have to think about the motivations and actions of one character.

Yep, that's where I am right now too. Although I suppose technically the wild magic sorceress NPC I tossed into my run of HotDQ might qualify.

She was part of the caravan from Baldur's Gate to Neverwinter, and she approached the party cleric to ask if he could fix her "skin condition." Wild magic had turned her blue. The party's own sorcerer took a shine to her and became her mentor for a short while.

Then, at the waystation between Waterdeep and Neverwinter, she stumbled on the pack of lizardfolk and got captured by them. The party's trek through the swamp to Castle Naerytar became essentially a rescue mission. After instigating a lizardfolk revolution, the party finally found her underneath the castle and had to wrestle a giant crocodile to get her out.

After hopping through the portal to Greypeak Lodge, the party dropped her off in the village of Parnast before they boarded Skyreach Castle. She was still blue.

Chronos
2015-04-26, 07:35 PM
I finally got to play last night-- My group has had one conflict or another crop up every weekend for the past year. He's a feat-human rogue with the sage background. He'll eventually be an arcane trickster, but we're only 2nd level so far. His backstory is that he's an archaeologist, and is determined to actually go out into the field to find lost relics, instead of just buying them from treasure-hunters like his advisor does. I wanted to get at least a bit into the spellcasting right away, so I took the Ritual Caster feat (fluffed as him sneaking into the restricted section of the library after hours to study, and finding a ritual book there), and have Find Familiar (a bat named Pterry) and Comprehend Languages.

odigity
2015-04-26, 10:06 PM
My first char, who is still alive and currently my only one (I played a Paladin from 2 to 5 but abandoned the game) is currently a 16yo orphan Half-Elf (the Elf half is Drow for flavor only) GOO Warlock 2 Shadow Monk 7. I've learned the hard way how painful it is to delay your progression with multiclassing, but I also just recently got my second level of Warlock (after Monk 6), and the Darkness/Devil's Sight combo is pretty damn sweet. I don't regret it, though it still hurts a little.

AmbientRaven
2015-04-27, 11:09 AM
Thom Argentum; 4 Lore Bard / 2 Warlock
Solid his sole to a warlock for his bardic abilities, was on a quest to reclaim his soul. As the adventure went on he got eviler and evilier, slowly corrupting the party as he came to like the powers his warlock aspect brought. Besting a behir at 4th level sealed his deal, and his soul was sold for ever

Tenmujiin
2015-04-27, 10:27 PM
Harbek Ungart
A level 3 Dwarf Pirate Tempest Cleric of Tempos (An intentional misspelling of Tempus)

He was the son of the captain of a crew of sky pirates (originally just normal pirates but the campaign turned out to be in a landlocked area so I changed it) but turned to adventuring when the ship was destroyed by an unknown monster (I left it open to make it whatever the DM felt was appropriate but he was lazy so it never got determined). The altered version of Tempus he followed was mixed with the forgoten realms god of sailors (I can't remember the name) and basically had the main tennant of 'help others help themselves' basically he was an enabler, he would buff his allies and arm those who wanted to fight (even his enemies, he refused to fight an unarmed opponent) but he could wade into combat and throw down with the best of them, and frequently did.

Notable moments included fighting a goblin chief in a 1 on 1 at lv2 (at first, the goblins changed their mind and got a maximised thunderwave to the face for it).
Killing an entire tribe of goblins with a single thunderwave (maximised, they trusted us but the rest of the party was basically evil and they were cowards that refused to fight so I gathered them into a 15 ft radius tent and let loose).
And almost killing the party paladin when he decided to take on 3 levels worth of encounters at the same time (we were infiltrating a cult). Maximised shatter on the paladin, killing the enemies surrounding him, healing word the next round to save him.

Yea, tempest clerics are fun.

DracoKnight
2015-04-28, 11:21 AM
My first character was Fafnír Donaar "Puff". He was a red dragonborn who was a draconic sorcerer. He had the entertainer background, and was known throughout the land by his show name: Puff the Magic Dragon. Had lots of fun playing him, but the group disbanded pretty shortly after that. My next character was a silver dragonborn Barbarian 1/Fighter 4, but he recently died, so my current character is a High Elf Shadow Monk based off of Shiek.

aspekt
2015-04-28, 11:16 PM
Female Forest Gnome
Druid/Ranger

Angelmaker
2015-04-29, 02:58 AM

Have you asked your group if one of your players might GM a few sessions so you can play for a change? I know, I always offer my fellow GM's to reciprocate in kind when they GM for me.

My first character was a human rogue. He was/is a criminal (shocker) who acted as a bruiser in the local crime syndicate AND even has an alive family to spice things up extra. Sharpshooter feat on first level made for some extra impressive takedowns on the first level so I made good use of his combat prowess and gave my fellow players smack talks when I confronted the guy I have been stalking for money for a while. Luckily his body can cash the checks his mind writes. :D

Rowan Wolf
2015-04-29, 03:01 AM
I am the DM right now and the only person interesting in learning to DM is not getting along quite right with the entirety of our newly formed (rather large) group so I do not see myself getting to play a character in this edition anytime in the near future.

Suteinu
2015-05-02, 04:30 PM
His name was, and still is, Cpt. Errol Daring! He is a swashbuckler (Var. Human Ftr, Battle Master, w/ Soldier background), and has accidentally become the party Face, de facto leader, and conscience of the Adventuring Party with No Name. He has a ready blade and a quicker tongue, both honed to keen sharpness, and is fearless in battle, whether against demons or delinquents! In character creation, the GM allowed him to forego Hvy Armor proficiency in exchange for being able to add his Int bonus to his AC, like the Barbarian w/ his Constitution (in Lt./ no amor only.) Some of his finer moments include:

An exchange: "Cpt. Danger, is it?"
"Cpt. Daring. 'Danger' is my middle name."

Holding at bay a band of ruffians at a temple door so that his friends, inside the temple, could prepare their actions. This he held for 4 rnds, while the archer behind him fired under his shield arm, the thief thrust her blade under his own sword arm, and the sorceress sent various whiz-bangs about his head. None of said ruffians got past him.

In pursuit of a villain, Cpt. Daring decided that he'd had enough of running. He made a ranged tripping attack by throwing his buckler into theback of his target's leg. (I rolled a natural 20, and the GM declared that Daring had thusly caught his buckler on it's return flight; now he's really a captain!)