PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Advancing Chameleon spellcasting via PRC?

SinsI
2015-04-23, 01:34 AM
Can one designate Chameleon as target for "Spells per Day/ Spell Known" (assuming prerequisites are met via something else, and the wording in the PRC of just advancing "spellcasting class", with no divine/arcane designation)?

I.e. if Wu-Jen 7/ Chameleon 2 takes 1 level in Fatespinner, can he from then on cast as Wu-Jen 7/Chamelon 3, instead of Wu-Jen 8/Chameleon 2?

WeaselGuy
2015-04-23, 01:52 AM
I'm afb right now, does Chameleon have it's own dedicated spellcasting, or does it advance spellcasting by level? If it's the former, then yes. If it's the latter, then no.

SinsI
2015-04-23, 02:17 AM
I'm afb right now, does Chameleon have it's own dedicated spellcasting, or does it advance spellcasting by level? If it's the former, then yes. If it's the latter, then no.

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b

Chameleon is a special class. It has a table that lists spellcasting advancement, but to actually gain spellcasting it has to activate its daily Aptitude Focus ability for Arcane (to get Wizard casting) or Divine (to get Cleric casting) for 24 hours. At later levels it can activate both at the same time (so twice the spells - like Mystic Theurge). Though maximum spell level is only 6th, this ability is insanely strong, since you can get ALL spells for ALL divine and arcane classes - i.e. you get 1st level Haste from Trapsmith, much earlier and cheaper than the appropriate spell for normal Wizard.

It explicitly says that you can't use any abilities gained from aptitude focus to qualify for a feat, prestige class, or other option. But if you use something else to qualify, can you advance that spellcasting?

DrKerosene
2015-04-23, 03:38 AM
I'm pretty sure that Uncanny Trickster from Complete Scoundrel does this RAW. +2 levels of existing class features over three levels of d6HD, 6 Skillpoints, and using one extra skill trick stuff. So, you'd get 7th level spells, maybe an extra daily use of something from Chameleon.

I think there's an Eberron PrC called Legacy Champion that usually gets mentioned with the Chameleon too, but I haven't seen it.

Chronos
2015-04-23, 06:40 AM
I don't know whether it was intended or not, but there's nothing in the rules that stops you from doing this. If you have both casting focuses active, it should even advance both at once. In most cases (depending on the exact wording of the prestige class), you could probably even advance both with a class that normally only advances arcane or only divine.