PDA

View Full Version : Question about natural weapons

Nogard
2007-04-16, 01:01 PM
Does (or can) a character with a natural weapon (a tail in this case) get a second attack (on top of a hand weapon)? Or does the natural weapon simply provide an alternative method of attack?

I noted that monsters with multiple natural weapons can attack with each at a penalty to subsequent attacks. Does this apply if the primary attack is not a natural weapon? What are the mechanics of this?

Fax Celestis
2007-04-16, 01:05 PM
A natural weapon can be used as part of a full attack routine as a secondary weapon (receiving a -5 penalty to attack and only 1/2 Str mod to damage).

Also remember you don't receive iterative attacks for a high attack bonus for natural weapons.

Nogard
2007-04-16, 01:20 PM
Would I still retain the multiple attacks with the hand weapon for high BAB if i used the natural weapon in the same full attack?

Fax Celestis
2007-04-16, 01:24 PM
Yes. Manufactured weapons always receive iterative attacks for a high BAB when making a full-attack, regardless of the presence of natural attacks or not.

For instance, a Thri-Kreen with a BAB of +11 and has four claw attacks and a bite. If he wields a greatsword (taking up two of his hands), his full attack consists of Greatsword +11/Greatsword +6/Greatsword +1/Claw +6/Claw +6/Bite +6.

Taking the Multiattack feat would change that attack pattern to Greatsword +11/Greatsword +6/Greatsword +1/Claw +9/Claw +9/Bite +9. Taking the Improved Multiattack feat would change the attack pattern further, to Greatsword +11/Greatsword +6/Greatsword +1/Claw +11/Claw +11/Bite +11.

Counterspin
2007-04-16, 01:25 PM
Yes you would.

Nogard
2007-04-16, 01:27 PM
Excellent! thank you for clearing this up for me. My GM will hate you. ^_^

Fax Celestis
2007-04-16, 01:28 PM
Also remember that natural weapons are considered Light for the purposes of Weapon Finesse, but are also considered One-Handed for the purposes of Power Attack.

Clementx
2007-04-16, 04:37 PM
Also remember that natural weapons are considered Light for the purposes of Weapon Finesse, but are also considered One-Handed for the purposes of Power Attack.
You are thinking of unarmed strikes.

Lemur
2007-04-16, 04:48 PM
No, natural weapons get the same deal.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-16, 04:48 PM
You are thinking of unarmed strikes.

No, I'm not.

From Power Attack:

You can’t add the bonus from Power Attack to the damage dealt with a light weapon (except with unarmed strikes or natural weapon attacks), even though the penalty on attack rolls still applies.

From Weapon Finesse:

With a light weapon, rapier, whip, or spiked chain made for a creature of your size category, you may use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier on attack rolls. If you carry a shield, its armor check penalty applies to your attack rolls.

Special

A fighter may select Weapon Finesse as one of his fighter bonus feats. Natural weapons are always considered light weapons.

Matthew
2007-04-16, 09:37 PM
Indeed. Make sure you look carefully at the Attack Routine of the Creature, as Bite/Claw/Claw works differently from Claw/Claw/Bite in combination with a Manufactured Weapon.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-04-17, 07:50 AM
You also have to pay close attention to the entry because some creatures do have restrictions on making natural weapon attacks alongside manufactured weapon attacks. For instance, a wemic normally has two claw attacks, using his forelegs. However, the wemic racial entry states that a wemic only gets one claw attack when also weilding a manufactured weapon. I assume the fluff reason behind this has something to do with the wemic having to keep its balance while attacking; an attempt to use the second claw would result in the wemic falling flat on its face.

But remember that such situations are exceptions to the general rule. Most creatures can make attacks with all their free natural weapons during any full attack, whether or not they are also using manufactured weapons. You have to read monster entries closely to find the exceptions.

Person_Man
2007-04-17, 09:25 AM
Yeah, we've been through this a bunch of times. Here's a thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29095) on how to get natural attacks.

Fax is correct. Though Shhal makes the most important point, that the text of different natural weapons varies, so you have to pay attention to them.

If you want to reduce the penalties on your secondary natural attacks, you can take Multiattack (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/monsterFeats.html) or Improved Multiattack (Savage Species, Draconomicon), though you can only take them if you have 3 or more natural attacks.

If you want iterative attacks on your natural weapons, you can take Rapidstrike and Improved Rapidstrike (Draconomicon), though that requires a pair of natural weapons (claws, wing buffets, etc) and aberration, dragon, elemental, magical beast, or plant type.