PDA

View Full Version : Multi Class Fighter 17/Rogue 3 Assasin

farqual
2015-04-23, 09:09 AM
Im new to D&D and wnat to eventually piece together a monk build but starting with somthing a little easier to play. Started out as a Half Elf Fighter (Archer) and eventually want to pick up several Rogue to get assasinate. i have a criminal/spy BG to get to the thieves network etc. Eventually grab xbow expert be a dual Cross Bow for rough and tuble fights diving to the shadows and use a heavy xbow or long bow for long range assasinations.

What are any suggestions/ flaws with my current corse of action?

I have profecency of 2 , Perception +4 and i cant remember the others will hafto look at my sheet when i get home.

Advice?

MadBear
2015-04-23, 09:17 AM
Talk to your DM about dual wielding hand crossbows. There's a divide over whether that's an acceptable thing to do or not with the feat. Sharpshooter is an eventual feat you'll want, since your fighting style will be giving you a +2 to hit. That way you'll take a cumulative -3 to add +10 damage to your ranged attacks.

If it was me, I'd pick up the rogue levels around 12, but you at least want to wait until fighter 6 (for the ASI).

Are you playing a champion fighter, battle master, or eldritch knight? Those will influence you're decisions as well.

Easy_Lee
2015-04-23, 09:42 AM
Fighter 17/Rogue 3 is not a bad multiclass. I have some thoughts about it that I would like to share.

For this split, since you want to go assassin, I would highly recommend the Sharpshooter feat (for the same reasons as the poster above), the alert feat, and to choose champion as your fighter archetype. Via remarkable athlete, fighter adds half proficiency to initiative rolls. This will make you go first nearly every time when combined with alert and max dexterity, something an assassin needs to do for optimal damage.

Champion also gets two fighting styles. You could create a character capable of competitive melee and ranged damage by taking dueling or TWF as the fighting style.

If a DM has a problem with the whole dual hand crossbow thing, point out that they're one handed and light and then point him to the guy at the gym fallacy.

farqual
2015-04-23, 09:48 AM
Talk to your DM about dual wielding hand crossbows. There's a divide over whether that's an acceptable thing to do or not with the feat. Sharpshooter is an eventual feat you'll want, since your fighting style will be giving you a +2 to hit. That way you'll take a cumulative -3 to add +10 damage to your ranged attacks.

I actually was given coice of weapons from DM based on a sheet and i was given dual hand xbow so thats easy. I do plan on picking up the sharpshooter too. what level should i take it at?

If it was me, I'd pick up the rogue levels around 12, but you at least want to wait until fighter 6 (for the ASI).

Are you playing a champion fighter, battle master, or eldritch knight? Those will influence you're decisions as well.

I think im a battlemaster will hafto check.

SharkForce
2015-04-23, 09:49 AM
i don't think i'd ever stop at 17 levels of champion... there is pretty much one compelling reason to go beyond a dip in champion, and it is the level 18 ability.

if i was genuinely expecting to get to those levels, no way would i stop at 17.

(on the other hand, if the actual final build is much more likely to wind up being level 12 or something, then yeah, go ahead and grab 3 levels of rogue).

farqual
2015-04-23, 09:53 AM
The curent storyline only goes to level 8 with a level advancment ath the end of each of 8 chapters. at that point we can decide to start a new campaign etc. we may be given the option to make new char with same invintory and smae levels at that point. we have 4 players that are brand new to D&D and one who has maybe 1 campaing under his belt. so this story line is a test drive.

SharkForce
2015-04-23, 09:57 AM
oh yeah, go ahead and grab 3 rogue levels then. i'd probably go straight to level 4-5 in fighter to start things off, regardless of archetype, because they're so good, but YMMV.

Malifice
2015-04-23, 10:18 AM
The curent storyline only goes to level 8 with a level advancment ath the end of each of 8 chapters. at that point we can decide to start a new campaign etc. we may be given the option to make new char with same invintory and smae levels at that point. we have 4 players that are brand new to D&D and one who has maybe 1 campaing under his belt. so this story line is a test drive.

You can scrape in a Xbow using Fighter 5/ Rogue 3

Play a variant human and take sharpshooter at 1st level. Take Fighter, Max Dex, then Con, then Wisdom - dump strength, charisma and intelligence. Take the Archery fighting style and pack a heavy xbow.

AC should be 15 in studded leather with 30' move. 13 odd HP with second wind when you need it. +3 Init.

You should rather reliably be dealing 1d10+13 damage with your xbow.

Next level take Rogue (to get the concept up and running). Gets you expertise in 2 skills (Stealth and Perception for your assassin), thieves tools and 1d6 sneak attack (which youll often get with your bow). Ups your DPR to 1d10+1d6+13 with the bow.

Go back to Fighter for action surge at 2nd (awesome nova damage), and then Battlemaster at 3rd level. Take menacing attack (to add to damage, and stop them coming closer to you with sharp things), Pushing attack (to push those melee types 15 feet away from you per hit and over cliffs and the such), and precision attack (to turn those sharpshooter misses into hits).

At Fighter 4 take Xbow expert and switch to two hand crossbows. Your damage is now ridicuolous (potential 4d6+39+3d8) with Nova strikes, without crits.

Take Fighter 5 for extra attack for another massive spike in DPR. Around 6d6+65+3d8 with nova strikes without crits

Then round it out with 2 more levels of Rouge for cunning action (so you can Kite people, using your bonus action to run away then shooting them in the face twice), an extra 1d6 sneak attack, and assasinate to turn all that damage above into (14d6+6d8+65).

Pack a rapier and a sheild for back up (youll never use them). Dont forget to get yourself some poison (not included in the damage above)

If play continues past 8th, stick with Fighter here on in (or at the very least till 11th level; your next level at 9th should be fighter for the ASI) before switching back to Rogue for a total of 9 assasin levels (+5d6 SA).

Take Alert and Mobile, and pump Dex to 20 with your remaining ASI's as you advanace in level.

Do everything in your power to get two +3 hand xbows and +3 ammunition. If possible also try and get your hands on a cloak of invisibility and boots of elvenkind.

Pull off the above equipment and you'll routinely (stealth +17 w advantage and invisible) be making Nova strikes of 7 attacks at +14 with advantage (24d6+10d8+14d4+147)

MadBear
2015-04-23, 01:21 PM
I actually was given coice of weapons from DM based on a sheet and i was given dual hand xbow so thats easy. I do plan on picking up the sharpshooter too. what level should i take it at?

I think im a battlemaster will hafto check.

If it was me, I'd take crossbow expert 1st (assuming human), and sharpshooter at 4.

Keep in mind that you'll be starved for dex if you're only going to level 8 though. (so if you continue past that, pump your dex to 20 asap).

Easy_Lee
2015-04-23, 01:27 PM
If it was me, I'd take crossbow expert 1st (assuming human), and sharpshooter at 4.

Keep in mind that you'll be starved for dex if you're only going to level 8 though. (so if you continue past that, pump your dex to 20 asap).

Agreed. Extra attacks are more beneficial the sooner you get them, while bounded accuracy and the fact that weapon attack bonus scales higher than AC both make sharpshooter more appealing later.

farqual
2015-04-23, 10:59 PM
You can scrape in a Xbow using Fighter 5/ Rogue 3

Play a variant human and take sharpshooter at 1st level. Take Fighter, Max Dex, then Con, then Wisdom - dump strength, charisma and intelligence. Take the Archery fighting style and pack a heavy xbow.

AC should be 15 in studded leather with 30' move. 13 odd HP with second wind when you need it. +3 Init.

You should rather reliably be dealing 1d10+13 damage with your xbow.

Next level take Rogue (to get the concept up and running). Gets you expertise in 2 skills (Stealth and Perception for your assassin), thieves tools and 1d6 sneak attack (which youll often get with your bow). Ups your DPR to 1d10+1d6+13 with the bow.

Go back to Fighter for action surge at 2nd (awesome nova damage), and then Battlemaster at 3rd level. Take menacing attack (to add to damage, and stop them coming closer to you with sharp things), Pushing attack (to push those melee types 15 feet away from you per hit and over cliffs and the such), and precision attack (to turn those sharpshooter misses into hits).

At Fighter 4 take Xbow expert and switch to two hand crossbows. Your damage is now ridicuolous (potential 4d6+39+3d8) with Nova strikes, without crits.

Take Fighter 5 for extra attack for another massive spike in DPR. Around 6d6+65+3d8 with nova strikes without crits

Then round it out with 2 more levels of Rouge for cunning action (so you can Kite people, using your bonus action to run away then shooting them in the face twice), an extra 1d6 sneak attack, and assasinate to turn all that damage above into (14d6+6d8+65).

Pack a rapier and a sheild for back up (youll never use them). Dont forget to get yourself some poison (not included in the damage above)

If play continues past 8th, stick with Fighter here on in (or at the very least till 11th level; your next level at 9th should be fighter for the ASI) before switching back to Rogue for a total of 9 assasin levels (+5d6 SA).

Take Alert and Mobile, and pump Dex to 20 with your remaining ASI's as you advanace in level.

Do everything in your power to get two +3 hand xbows and +3 ammunition. If possible also try and get your hands on a cloak of invisibility and boots of elvenkind.

Pull off the above equipment and you'll routinely (stealth +17 w advantage and invisible) be making Nova strikes of 7 attacks at +14 with advantage (24d6+10d8+14d4+147)

Wow.... I appreciate the detail. I made the base 2 weeks ago using half elf but won lottery with my hp roll and have 22 and I have a armor class of 14 with lite studded leather.

Dex is a 14+2 I think. Need to call my dm for the details off my sheet. But even though I didn't get the feat I did get +2 from elf on bows and some night vision. =)

Malifice
2015-04-23, 11:04 PM
Wow.... I appreciate the detail. I made the base 2 weeks ago using half elf but won lottery with my hp roll and have 22 and I have a armor class of 14 with lite studded leather.

Dex is a 14+2 I think. Need to call my dm for the details off my sheet. But even though I didn't get the feat I did get +2 from elf on bows and some night vision. =)

That last line makes no sense bro?

The +2 to hit youre discussing probably comes from the archery fighting style (which is a class feature, not an elven racial trait).

Ditch half elf, and play a (variant) human. Take the sharpshooter feat, and up your Dex. 14 is too low.

farqual
2015-04-24, 08:26 AM
maybe thats what it was,... gotta remember im new to this. =)

farqual
2015-04-25, 11:41 PM
Wow. My dm was impressed with your suggestions thank you again