PDA

View Full Version : Dance..? Rave! [Class][Weapons]

Reinboom
2007-04-16, 01:04 PM
A friend mentioned how "neat" a person with chains raving would be, and if those chains had swords on their ends.. so I made this class/feats/items. :3

Weaponry
Chain Swords:
A chain sword is a sword with, instead of hilt, a grip and a long chain attaching the blade to it. This awkward weapon is extremely difficult to control. While attempting to attack with such a weapon, the wielder has a high chance of injuring themselves and are hit by their own chain swords with a roll of 1 or 2 if they are non proficient.
Chain swords may come in an assortment of sizes of blades based on their respective normal counterparts.
The chain on chain swords may also be increased in length, limit of 5 extra feet. Doing so, however, causes the weapon to weigh 1 lb more and provides a –2 hit penalty.

{table=head]Weapon|Cost|Dmg (S)|Dmg (M)|Critical|Reach|Weight|Type
Short Chain Sword [light](exotic)|20 gp|1d4|1d6|19-20/x2|10 ft.|3 lb.|Slashing
Long Chain Sword [one-handed](exotic)|25 gp|1d6|1d8|19-20/x2|10 ft.|5 lb.|Slashing[/table]

Class
Sword Raver
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+0|Two-Weapon Fighting

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+0|Rave 1/day

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+1|Sword Dance

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+1|Rave 2/day

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+1|Bonus Feat

6th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+5|
+2|Rave 3/day, Uncanny Dodge

7th|
+7/+2|
+2|
+5|
+2|Shattering Pulse 1

8th|
+8/+3|
+2|
+6|
+2|Rave 4/day

9th|
+9/+4|
+3|
+6|
+3|Raving Reflex

10th|
+10/+5|
+3|
+7|
+3|Bonus Feat, Rave 5/day, Improved Uncanny Dodge

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+3|
+7|
+3|Shattering Pulse 2

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+4|
+8|
+4|Rave 6/day

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+4|
+8|
+4|Raving Butcher

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+4|
+9|
+4|Rave 7/day

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+5|
+9|
+5|Shattering Pulse 3, Bonus Feat

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+10|
+5|Rave 8/day

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+5|Raving Butcher (Great Cleave)

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+11|
+6|Rave 9/day

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+6|Shattering Pulse 4

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+6|Bonus Feat, Rave 10/day

[/table]

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d8
Class Skills:
Bluff (Cha) ,Climb (Str) ,Craft (Int) ,Intimidate (Cha) ,Jump (Str) ,Perform(dance) (Cha) ,Ride (Dex) ,Sleight of Hand (Dex) ,Swim (Str) , and Tumble (Dex) .
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Sword Ravers are proficient with all simple and martial weapons as well as chain swords. Swords ravers are proficient with light armor, but not with shields.

Chain Sword Skill: As Chain Sword Skill feat.

Two Weapon Fighting: As Two Weapon Fighting feat.

Sword Dance: At 3rd level the sword raver receives no two-weapon fighting negatives while wielding only sword chains. If a bard is using bardic music or music of any form is being performed within range of the sword raver, the sword raver receives a +4 bonus to Cha and to hit rolls made with chain swords.

Rave: At 2nd level the sword raver may begin to start raving spontaneously. To start the rave, the sword raver must make a perform (dance) check (as a swift action). The rave lasts for one third of this checks outcome, though may be ended prematurely. While raving the sword raver replaces all str modifier checks with cha checks, including skill checks, damage, and melee attack rolls. The sword raver receives an additional attack each round. Also, during a rave, a sword raver can not move faster than their base movement speed. If the sword raver can fly at good or better maneuverability she may use Rave while flying. The sword raver may also use Rave while swimming if they have a swim speed or make a DC 25 swim check.
While raving, the sword raver must constantly be performing dance using its chain swords. The rave ends if its chain swords are destroyed or become halted for a round or longer.

Bonus feat: At 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th levels the sword raver gains an additional bonus combat-oriented feat. This feat is limited to the bonus feats a fighter may take.

Uncanny Dodge: As rogue skill, Uncanny Dodge.

Shattering Pulse: At 7th level the sword raver's attacks pulse and shatter with quick nimble force. Add 1 to every damage roll made with chain swords by the sword raver. Every 4 levels beyond 7th, this damage increases by another 1. Each attack also has a chance of temporarily weakening the targets armor, including natural armor.
For each 30 damage dealt to an opponent by a sword raver with shattering pulse during a single round, the target's AC is reduced by 1. If this would render the AC bonus of the closest piece of equipment (shield, then body armor, then natural armor) to 0 or less, that equipment is destroyed. Natural armor can not be reduced to below 0 or destroyed, and regenerates by 1 + con modifier each day (always regenerating by at least 1).

Raving Reflex: At 9th level the sword raver gains quick reflexes while raving. Due to the difficulty of hitting the sword raver through the chains swords, the sword raver gets an additional +2 AC to dodge and may block one ranged attack each turn as though the sword raver had the deflect arrows feat without the free hands requirement.

Raving Butcher: At 13th level the sword raver has the ability to spread its dance in a whirling butchering fashion. During a rave the sword raver is considered to have the Cleave feat.
If during an attack the sword raver renders a creature with discernible anatomy unconscious, that creature must make fortitude save with a DC equal to 5 + the sword raver’s class level or die immediately. All enemies witnessing this butchering must make check against being frightened of DC 10 + 5 extra for each fallen target (normally from their hp reaching 0 or less).

At 17th level, while raving, the sword raver is considered to also have Great Cleave.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-16, 01:37 PM
Since you've already said the weapon is hard to control this might work better as a Prc.

Maybe I'll go sit in the corner and stop annoying people now...

Chain weapons. I'd complain but I made an axe-chain weapon once so i don't have the right to.

Okay, so you haven't actually said what proficiency the Chain-sword requires. I assume its exotic.

As stated this weapon can be thrown like a dagger, range should probably be reach unless you want to be able to use the weapon at up to 10 increments. Also consider how long a 15 or 20 ft. chain would actually be.

It isn't really that powerful so it doesn't need that extra -4. Exotic Weapons are already hard to use and two feats isn't worth it for anything, your sword isn't so differant to a spiked chain, dire flail or Kusari Gama that have no such penalty.

I would split up Raving Butcher into two abilities, one that gives cleave and one that gives great cleave. The other ability seems odd since it implies that you're doing nonlethal damage. Consider changing it to disabled. Getting a two feats at 13th level that a first level human fighter can have seems wrong.

thevorpalbunny
2007-04-16, 01:56 PM
I have only one thing to say:
Sword-Chucks! (http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010815)

elliott20
2007-04-16, 02:32 PM
this has got Soulcalibur Ivy written all over it.

Reinboom
2007-04-16, 11:47 PM
Given that the fighter is pretty underpowered as is, I wasn't directly comparing to it, just borrowing feats from the fighter that "felt" like what this class would do. I will test with a split cleave and great cleave however. Yeh, the -4 penalty I guess is a bit much, feat chopped away!

Also, this is meant for 2 very long sword-chain-things (or to the description I received) and in the flavor of very not Ivy, though i could see where the idea is of.

Any more opinions/ideas? :3

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2007-04-17, 12:26 AM
You ever get an idea to make something really cool for D&D, then half way through making it stop, and realise it's a really bad idea.... Why didn't you stop?

Reinboom
2007-04-17, 12:34 AM
Because the person I'm making this for still thinks it's cool. I'm here to try to please with what resources I have.
Also, I'm not very creative/crafty with melee at all, so any sort of 'creative guidance' will help instead of just blatantly saying it's a bad idea :smalleek: