PDA

View Full Version : [IC GROUP 1] Crusade on Havengul

Cilvyn
2015-04-23, 10:28 AM
Important information

Important Links
Lore of Innistrad (https://www.scribd.com/doc/262850579/Innistrad-Lore)
OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?411345-OOC-Crusade-on-Havengul&p=19155352#post19155352)
Recruitment Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?411148-D-amp-D-4-0-with-a-hint-of-Dark-Heresy-in-an-Gothic-Horror-Setting-(Innistrad-MtG)&p=19148806#post19148806)

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2m4zsc8.jpg

Players

Player
Class
Character
Description

Jalor
Swordmage
Anton Dietrich (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html?_=1429653493#id=177283)
A optimistic Swordmage, trained in the arts of magic as wel as sword fighting, in search for firsthand knowledge about the undead to become an even better warrior of the church.

Tyeal
Invoker
Erias 'Oread' Lustrik (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html?_=1429653493#id=176245)
Former protector against geist, this Idealistic young man devoted his life to the churchafter he was mortally wounded but lived. He pledged to liberate the world of darkness as head of a holy cult.

Firedaemon
Cleric/Ranger
Silvia Holtzer (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html?_=1429653493#id=177054)
Originating from Kessig this puritain Cathar saved her village from the gruesome howlpack. WIth divine guidance she now puts her bow to use wherever people are in danger and need saving.

Drekkle
Avenger
Ana Moreau (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html?_=1429653493#id=177469)
Raised at the training grounds of the gathars this warm, young woman with a sword as big as herself, seeks out the skaab and alchemist to show Avacyn she is worthyof redemption for her childhood crimes.

In Game Information

Languages spoken in Innistrad:
Common (the common language everyone understands)
High Gothic (nobleman, clergy and vampires (since they regard themselves most of the time as noble bloodlines. You could regard this as latin in the medieval times, only educated people would be able to read, speak and write this, although the language is the same in all provinces)
Stensian (dialect spoken by sheep herders and local commoners in the province of Stensia)
Gavonian (dialect spoken by farmers and townsfolk or smaller villages in Gavony)
Kessig (dialect spoken by the forest people of Kessig and wherwolves)
Nephalian (dialect spoken by citizen of the cities of Nephalia, merchants and underground figures)
Spirits will communicate in the language they knew when they were alive. zombies are most of the time unintelligent and can't speak.

As someone from another province you might recognize some words and you may be able to understand about 20-40% of what someone is saying in their dialect. You however are not able to speak in the dialect and when comversations get more complex the percentage quickly drops and you are pretty much clueless what they are brabbling about.

There is one currency in Innistrad, the Thaler.
These correspond with the GP from the 4.0 system. There are no silver and copper coins. I don't like the idea of people having unlimited money since the normal income of a farmer is like 7 sp a day and you start of with about 700 times that amount which is a fortune, that is like a two year salary in your pouch. To balance it I will adjust the currency system a littlebit, you will still be filthy rich, most likely, but this will put a bit higher tax on your luxurous lives, you bunch of snobs :smallamused:

Food
Meal, common 2 thaler
Meal, feast 10 thaler
Drink
Ale, pitcher 1 Thaler
Wine, bottle 5 Thaler
Inn stay (per day)
Typical room 3 Thaler
Luxury room 12 Thaler

The rest is pretty much according to the normal GP price, or I will make something up.

Cilvyn
2015-04-23, 10:29 AM
Crusade on Havengul

You have been called to the holy city of Thraben, the throne of Avacyn’s church and the capital of Innistrad. Normally yuo get orders down the ranks, but this time you have been summoned to the city itself. You thank Avacyn for this honour, being recognized for the loyal soldier of the faith you are.

Since Avacyn disappeared the nights have grown longer and darker and it is known that there are being held more expeditions against the undead and werewolves. You think you may be summoned to join one of those expedition, which would be a good chance to …….. (whatever your ambition is). When you approach the majestic city you are struck by its great wall, its marvelous gothic architecture and most of all the cathedral which towers high above all other buildings in the city.

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/daily/stf/stf157_gavony.png
The Cathedral of Thraben

Once you enter the city gate you emerge into the crowd. You see merchants selling their wares like cabbages, handmade baskets and other goods. Other, more mystical looking figures, hold out charmlike items with the symbol of avacyn (http://archive.wizards.com/mtg/images/daily/arcana/919_avacynscollar.jpg) which should have protective powers. The city under the influence of the church maintains a high standard of cleanness and order and you walk through the streets amazed by the greatness the city radiates.

You find your way to the military quarters. Solders pass you by saluting you as their superiors. Cathars are not uncommon, but still respected as they form the elite force of the church and the army, not that Innistrad has a standing army as would have medieval kingdoms in our world (I am a historian, you will get a lot of historical references thrown at you, my apologies), but you get the picture.

You walk towards the barracks of the senior officers and you enter the building. Inside you see a few others sitting on nicely decorated wooden chairs. In front of them stands an elderly man. He wears light armor covered in holy symbols. His face is scarred and you can’t help to notice several bite-marks on his neck, this man surely must have seen quite some action. You salute the elderly cathar and take a seat among the other cathars. Then the man speaks in a stronger voice than you would expect from such a venerable man.

The lunarch has summoned you to the capital for an important quest. The Bishop of Nephalia is struggling to keep his people under control, the light of Avacyn is fading and in the city of Havengul are increasingly more zombie attacks. Of course we know that this port is a stronghold of unholy practices, but now it is worse than ever.

We have knowledge of a cult in the underground of the city. They call themselves ''the Skaabherren' or lords of the undead in common tongue. Using forbidden alchemy they stitch corpes together and creat fearsome monsters that terrorize the faithfull people. We have to purge these heretics and bring the light to the outskirts of this lands ourselves, now Avacyn no longer guides us.

The man pauses for a second, closes his eyes and brings his hand to his heart, with his other hand leaning on his walking stick.

I feel a great darkness coming from the west. The sea brings nothing but evil and it is spreading land inwards. The faul beasts of the moon are closing in from the north, vampires from the east.

He turn around and looks deep in your eyes.

Those damned bloodsucking animals, beware of them for they are also hiding in the darkness of Havengul.

I send you, warriors of the church, to Havegul to uncover this cartel of corpsetraders and devilish alchemists by any means necessary. Be wary though, the townsfolk are not too happy when the church interferes in their affairs and may have been corrupted by their folklore and superstitions. Trust no one, even the mightest of cathars have fallen and have been turned to that which they hunted so passionatly.

You will ride tomorrow, I have personally sought out a fine establishment where you can spend the night, get to know eachother and pray. Tomorrow there will be a market where you can get any wares you might still need.

The man sighs and leans heavily on his walkingstick. He hands you a carefully sealed letter with the symbol you know so well and shows you the door.

With the group you walk through the city as the sun sets. Like every evening it gets cold and a sinister shadow creeps over the rooftops of the houses. However you have seen some horrors in your life, a shiver goes down your spine and you quicken your step to get to the inn as fast as you can. It is a nice establishment, not worthy of a nobleman but from the windows shines a warm light, the scent of roasted beef meets you when you approach the inn-door. You look at eachother before you walk in.

http://oi62.tinypic.com/2gwwfww.jpg

Ionbound
2015-04-25, 09:47 PM
Silvia smiles as she smells the meat cooking and opens the door, holding it for the others as she says, "Ah...What smells like a good meal and a warm place to sleep. Can't ask for any more."

Drekkle
2015-04-25, 10:40 PM
Ana Moreau

Ana nods, with a smile to Silvia as she passes through the door. "Agreed. It'll be a welcome start to the long journey ahead." she says, the light conversation a welcome distraction from the thoughts swirling in Ana's head. Skraaben and Skaabs... 'Stop that, she internally chastises herself. 'No need to dwell on the darkness to come, focus on enjoying the night while you can.'

Finding an open table at the inn, she sets down her things near a chair, unstrapping the fullblade, and leaning it against the table. Her hand lingers on the scabbard of the blade, wanting to calm her nerves by sharpening the blade, but the act of drawing such a massive weapon would most likely set others on edge. Perhaps later, in the privacy of her own room, there would be time.

As a serving boy draws near, Ana sets down ten thaler on the table. "A meal and a room for me, with a bottle of wine to share." she requests, as she sits down.

Already marked 10 thaler off my sheet.

Jalor
2015-04-26, 12:03 PM
Anton Dietrich

Once he finishes tying up the horses, Dietrich steps inside the inn. He slides his wrist razors further up his arm to hide them under his sleeve as he nods absently at Silvia. His bonded blade is stowed in the wagon, but he can call it to his hand in an instant if necessary. He pulls out a chair at Ana's table and sits backwards with his arms resting on the chair's back. He addresses the serving boy. "Do you have four individual rooms open, or will we have to double up?" He pulls a couple of thaler from his pocket and flicks them onto the table. "Stew and bread."

Tyeal
2015-04-26, 12:40 PM
Erias Lustrik

The divine caster gave a silent nod to Silvia as he enters with the rest of his group, his chainmail clinking softly under the traveling clothes he wore. As is his habit, he murmurs a prayer over the inn, letting the inn owner or the patrons see that their place of rest will be a little safer this evening. That done, he joins Ana and Anton at the table, taking out 15 thaler to put towards his room and meal. "Soup de jour. With red wine." He says to his server, as he takes out a small, thick journal along with a bottle of ink and quill, and began to write in it as he waits.

Cilvyn
2015-04-26, 02:00 PM
The inn has about 10 tables in 15 by 30 square feet (5 by 10 meter) living room. The floor is wood and kept rather clean. There is a warm fire burning at the left side of the living room and on the walls you see some paintings of local artists. Most of them are landscapes of Gavony and you also see some paintings of Avacyn herself (You could compare it with a painting of jezus making a sign of blessing in the western world). A lone lute player sits near the fite place. he sings songs in a geavonian dialect.

http://www.simmonsasylum.com/GameResources/DJ/Inn1-Floorplan.jpg

Seen from the entrance, in the far left corner sits an old man in tattered clothes. He holds an magnefying glass in front of his eyes and he is bended over some old documents.

There are six farmers sitting at the table right at the entrance. they all salute you when you walk in. one of them, a younger farmboy stands up, looking a little frightened at you and makes the sign of avacyn before he sits down, looks at you when you pass by, but quickly looks away when you look back at him. (putting your fists together and sticking up your thumbs while making a short bow. Most people just stick up their thumb and hold it against their chest while nodding. The first one is more official).

The innkeepers boy is about thirteen years old and bows deep when you enter. He shows you the second large table to sit at. He seems not surprized with catars coming in the inn, but treats you with the utmost respect.

Welcome, sirs, myladies, to the Lunarch Inn. The brightest place in all of Thraben.

Please be seated here

He takes the towel from his shoulder and wipes the already clean table to make sure it is spotless. once he's taken your orders he takes the thaler, bows again and hurries to the kitchen. A few moments later a friendly looking, chubby man comes out of the kitchen. He has sweat on his forehead and he wears a dirty apron. He holds a tray with a nicely decorated flask with wine in it. You are pretty sure he doesn't serve this kind of fine glasswere for all his guests. His moustache wiggles as he speaks.

Very welcome good sirs, ladies. Forgive my boy he means well. My wife is working in the kitchen to make you the finest dishes we have to offer.

He puts down the flask on your table together with four even fine looking glasses.

The rooms are upstairs, we have rooms with three beds each. I did not expect any other guests so if you like to have your own room, I won't charge extra for it. It is a pleasure to have gast of such status in my humble establishment

Drekkle
2015-04-26, 02:54 PM
Ana Moreau

Ana takes one of the glasses, pouring a measure of wine into it for herself as she speaks with the innkeeper. "Thank you, kind sir. Your boy was good, and I'm sure whatever your wife serves will be a welcome meal on this night. Please, don't neglect your other guests as you serve us, I wouldn't want to impose. And thank you for the offer of the rooms, but if anyone else shows up, please, don't hesitate to ask me to share one.

Ionbound
2015-04-26, 03:18 PM
Silvia nods along to Ana's words and says, "Indeed. I think only two rooms are needed. And as for dinner...Ah...Stew sounds decent as well. Thank you, sir."

Cilvyn
2015-04-26, 03:49 PM
the man wipes his forehead.

Thank you myladies, you are very kind.

He bows and turns around and moves to the other table.

Gentleman, can I pour you another drink as wel? he asks.

The farmers shake their head and stand up. It's alright Gerald. It's dark and cold outside, we should head back home. The boy is tired as wel. Thank you for your hospitality. They nod at you Have a good evening sirs, ladies. They leave a few thaler on the table and make their way outside.

The Innkeeper collects the money and moves to the older guest in the corner. Last round

Ney Tanke The man says in a crackling old voice Ick bin almost fertig You recognize a strong nephalian accent in his voice. He turns back to his papers and keeps on reading.

The Musisian, packs his instrument as well, accepts a few thaler from the innkeeper and leaves the place.

I will, when talking in dialect throw some german, dutch, english and maybe french words in to make it some sort of language that makes sence, but still doesn't quite. I hope this way to create a language which will be partial understandable for you as native English speakers.

I will always put the translation in a spoiler.

In this case it means; No thank you, I am almost done.. Next time when spoken only read the spoiler marked withthe dialect if your character can actually speak it.

Tyeal
2015-04-26, 04:13 PM
Erias Lestik

He motions to have his glass filled when offered, pausing in his scribbling when he heard the old man in the corner speak. His curiosity piqued, he put away his journal and took his glass, walking over to the elderly man in the corner, setting his glass down to see if it got his attention. Then asked, in a lighter accent than the man's own, "Wat lees je?" pointing to the papers he's pouring over.

Cilvyn
2015-04-26, 04:54 PM
You can use time to chat if you like or do other things. Normal people go to sleep most of the time when darkness falls. There is not much to do in the dark, there aren't many lightsources except candles or fireplaces which are not optimal for providing alot of light. You can use as much time as you want to talk, there won't happen much unless you intentionally want something to happen. The innkeeper will give you the keys to the seperate bedrooms and eventually will go to bed with his family as well.

I couldn't help to think about this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0123.html) with the four of you sleeping in the rooms :smallbiggrin:

Outside the wind blows and it is getting very dark.

The innkeeper's wife brings you food, it tastes pretty good and the woman looks very friendly, but also like she has seen alot in her life. She looks older than she probably is but you notice she has a kind heart. The boy does not come in the living room anymore, you suspect he is gone to his bed.

Tyael

The man looks at you with intense eyes. He koops looking at you while he grabs his papers. Not a moment he takes his eyes of you you while taking a few coins from his pocket and leaves the on the table. He walks up on you and in a mysterious voice almost whispers when he is close to you.

"Some things are better left unknown, young cathar, once known you know them, better to leave it alone. He says in common, still with a noticable accent. He smiles not unfriendly and walks towards the door.

Ionbound
2015-04-26, 05:30 PM
Silvia glaces between Erias and the Nephalian, responding to him, "Oh really? And why would that be?"

Cilvyn
2015-04-27, 02:59 AM
The first so confident man now backs away a little, it is clear he doesn't want trouble and realizes he should not provoke catars like that.

it is niks, miss. Ick want zu house gehen, bitte. good nacht In the moment he returns to his dialect. He folds the documents and puts them in his pocket and wants to leave.

It is nothing, lady, I would like to go home please. Good night

Ionbound
2015-04-27, 09:41 AM
Silvia sighs and says, "Ah...I don't speak Nephalian. Can you repeat that in Common?"

Cilvyn
2015-04-27, 09:49 AM
The man tries to walk away from you slowly.

I need to go home now, Sorry for disturbing you, Good night.

THe innkeeper comes into the room afterall you are the only sound that is coming from the living room.

Everything alright, François? Please mylade, Sir Delambre is just a scholar from Nephalia, I let him do his work here because he is not so familiar here in Thraben. I assure you he hass no ill intentions.

Jalor
2015-04-27, 11:09 AM
Anton Dietrich

Dietrich pauses from shoveling stew into his mouth to turn and quietly address the innkeeper. "Do you know his field of study or what institution he's with? I'm a scholar myself - I might try speaking to him at a better time."

Cilvyn
2015-04-27, 11:22 AM
The innkeeper smiles, feeling very important with your question directed at him, but before the good man can answer you the bold old scholar speaks:

"I study insects, nothing more. May I please go now, I like to go home?"

The man, more and more seems to be affraid of you, his eyes go quickly from person to person. Small drops of sweat appear on his forehead and his hands tremble.

The innkeeper doesn't speak, knowing better than to command soldiers of the church, but you see in his eyes that he likes you the man to leave.

Tyeal
2015-04-27, 11:30 AM
Erias Lestik

Frowning deeply at his companion, he steps between Silvia and the scholar, speaking firmly, "We have no business with this man." He had simply been curious as to what someone speaking Nephilian was doing in this part of the world, nothing more. He hadn't expected his new-found ally to step in and put her nose so deeply into the scholar's business. He was disappointed in her behavior.

Jalor
2015-04-27, 11:31 AM
Anton Dietrich

Dietrich raises an eyebrow, nods, then turns back around in his chair and dips his bread in his stew. He says nothing more, but he seems unlikely to stop his companions if they try and question the man further.

Dietrich never passes up a chance to talk about his studies, and to him any scholar who doesn't is suspicious. Insight 1d20+ to see if this guy's being forthright with us. herp derp It's been so long since I did a PBP here that I can't roll dice. Rolling in the OOC so I don't clutter this thread.

Cilvyn
2015-04-27, 11:45 AM
When you think about it, you have no exact reason to sespect the man of something that would go against the creed of the church, as far as you can imagine. Although It is still rather strange; a Nephalian researcher in Thraben researching insects in a local Inn.

Ionbound
2015-04-27, 01:21 PM
Silvia raises her hands and says sarcastically, but holding steel in her eyes, "I'm so sorry I'm not the type to let cryptic comments about 'things we should not know' go by without further investigation."

Drekkle
2015-04-27, 01:30 PM
Ana Moreau

Ana places a reassuring hand on the hilt of her sword, seeing that things have begun to get heated. "Perhaps it would be best to take this conversation outside, so we don't interpose on our host's hospitality?" She remarks cautiously. "Sir, perhaps you could allow us to take a look at your papers? If only to assage the nerves of our friend here."

Tyeal
2015-04-27, 02:10 PM
Erias Lustrik

He will remain in place, continuing to speak in a firm tone. "We will speak to him in the morning." Someone of his advanced age would no doubt wish to be home before it gets too dark. He felt there was no reason why they couldn't visit this scholar at his home in the morning, if his compatriots were truly that worried that this man seemed so out of place. He felt it was unusual, certainly. But they all have dealt with far stranger, and more gruesome, things before.

Drekkle
2015-04-27, 02:43 PM
Ana Moreau

"Begging your pardon, Erias, but I would rather see this matter settled now, so we can get an early start towards our destination." Ana says neutrally, trying to hide her emotions. The way the man acts, and his research reminds her of the secretive alchemists in her homeland, toiling underneath the moon and stars in secluded laboratories to create horrifying monstrosities of necro-alchemy. She would much rather any doubts about this man be quelled before the night... or before he could make an escape.

Cilvyn
2015-04-27, 03:09 PM
The Innkeeper falls on his knees seeling the young woman reach for her enormous blade.

Oh please lady, I beg of you, we are all humble servants of the church of Avacyn. This inn is my lives work, I.. I even named it after the Lunarch himsef 'The Lunarch Inn' The brightest place in all.. all of Thraben. The man almost cries, looking at Erias and Anton. Please kind Sirs, François has been a loyal customer since halfway of New moon (it is now the start of harvest moon so that is about 30 days) I admit he is a bit strange, but he means no harm. I beg of you. I.. Shall I bring some more wine to .. to ease the mood a bit? The man is desperate to bring this situation to a peacefull end.

François trembles even more seeing you pulling out your weapon. Please mylady, what The owner says is true. I simply made a joke, I should have known better. I apologize. I am merely a simple scholar investigating local insects so we can understand nature better and this amazing world we live in. I mean no harm and am just as loyal to our Angel Avacyn as you are! With the name Avacyn he makes the sign in front of his chest. He takes a step back towasrds the door he looks at you and takes another. You can let him go take 2 steps more and go outside and let him leave or you can stop him now, but then you have to do it in this moment.

Ionbound
2015-04-27, 03:11 PM
Silvia shrugs, nods and says, "Yeah, now is good. 'specially considering he's faking being afraid." She then nods to the innkeeper and says as she gets to her feet as well, "I'm sorry if this gets messy. If it does I'll see what we can do to make things right."

Drekkle
2015-04-27, 03:16 PM
Ana Moreau

Ana stands up, her expression turning hard. "Your research papers. Hand them over. Or, we can take this outside." She states in a stern tone, her hand holding the scabbard of her blade, ready to draw it at a moment's notice.

To the innkeeper, a bit apologetically, she says "My apologies for disturbing the peace in your inn, sir. I'll leave something extra for the trouble and stress we've caused."

Jalor
2015-04-27, 04:01 PM
Anton Dietrich

Dietrich drops his spoon into the empty bowl with a clatter and spins around in his chair, though he remains seated. He swirls the fingers of his right hand in the air lazily, and a barely perceptible thread of pale blue light snakes through the air and encircles the old man before fading entirely.

Mark the man with Aegis of Ensnarement, ready an action to call my bonded sword if anyone else draws a weapon in the room.

Cilvyn
2015-04-27, 04:05 PM
The man's face turns angry and distorted. The fear fades from his face and his hand comes from under his robe holding the documents.
If this is what you want, fine He holds out his hand with the documents. Please be carefu... BE CAREFUL he turns up his voice amost commanding and more strong than before, the moment you would touch the papers and take it from his hand.

The innkeeper meanwhile still sits on his knees looking with big eyes at François, totally confused about the situation and unable to speak.

Jalor
2015-04-27, 04:09 PM
Anton Dietrich

Dietrich slides his chair back and steps forward to take the papers.

Ionbound
2015-04-27, 04:12 PM
Silvia tilts her head and says, "Huh...Sir, if these are, in fact, just innocent research papers, rest assured you have nothing to fear. If not, though..." She unslings her bow continues, menace in her tone, "I cannot guarantee your safety."

Cilvyn
2015-04-27, 04:29 PM
You take the papers. If you were expecting something to happen, there doesn't.

The documents are almost like a manuscript bonded in bookform (https://thedevilsdavenport.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/slide-18-the-rawlinson-manuscript.jpg). It is too much to read in a few minutes, but if you page through the books.

You sense magic coming from the book, it clearly has a magical purpose, although it is not a spellbook. There are not specificly magical powers in the book, it just has been in contact with magic alot.

The content in the book is mostly alot of insects, dissected and sorted by spieces, it would look like a actual book about nature and insects and their purposes were it not that you many times see drawings of human bodies as well. It would be a combination of a book about insects and human medical studies. Some human bodies have wings, or weird claws. They don't look like normal skaab to you, they are not stiched together. There are not metal objects connected to the bones. These humans seem to be some weird combination between human and insect.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b7/59/39/b75939959cdbc71129a9ca6191a335c8.jpg

There are alot of chemical formulas written in the books, not very understandable for you, even with some knowledge about alchemy this is way too advanced.

Fançois looks at you while you examine the sheets waiting inpatiantly to have his work back.

The innkeeper stands up and slowly walks out of the room, unless you would stop him. He doesn't wan't to be in the room anymore, this is too much for him.

Jalor
2015-04-27, 04:42 PM
Anton Dietrich

He keeps his expression stony as he skims the disturbing documents. He steps closer to Silvia, points at some of the drawings, and mutters to her "Ah, what's the procedure for this? Do we confiscate the documents, make him take us to his lab, or something else?"

"Is this... original research, or did you obtain it from another?"

Cilvyn
2015-04-27, 04:58 PM
It's my own work, You wouldn't understand. I spend my life working on it, can I have it back now. It is of no use for you. When it is finished I will pass it along so they can continue my work and get more knowledge about humans and animals and eventually discover the secret about life itself. But this is all too complicated for.. people without alchemist education.

The man holds out his hand awaiting you to return his book.

Ionbound
2015-04-27, 05:07 PM
Silvia's eyes widen as she sees the pictures and she actually gasps, saying, "Umm...I think he's coming with us, yes." She nods and draws an arrow, saying, "You're coming with us. I'm sure the inquisitors will have questions for you."

Cilvyn
2015-04-27, 05:15 PM
When the word inquisitor is said François eyes change, this time actually being a little affraid.

He turns to Anton, trying to figure out what to say under distress forming some voiceless words with his lips before he speaks. No.. wait wait.. Didn't you say you.. good sir were an alchemst yourself?.. I.. I mean you value good research. I spend years on this. You know what the church will do with this information. They will destroy it. I know you are cathars, but you cannot allow this kind of knowledge be destroyed and denied to the world. I could maybe aid with whatever you need, as a fellow student of alchemy He really tries to get your sympathy, Anton, as he brings up reasons to let him keep his lifes work.

The man won't go anywhere without his book, the innkeeper is no longer in the living room so you are pretty much free to speak out loud and discuss the situation and what to do with this man

Jalor
2015-04-27, 10:17 PM
Anton Dietrich

"I said I was a scholar, not an alchemist. Do you have a laboratory here, or in Nephalia? Either way, you're going to have to take us there so you can explain exactly what it is you've been doing. My companions and I can't pass judgement with insufficient information, and I would either need a reference library or a firsthand look at your experiments to determine their nature." He slides his wrist razors back down his arm so they're visible once again. "I highly recommend you go pack a change of clothes."

Dietrich addresses the others. "The rest of you can get some rest. I'll keep an eye on this one, make sure he doesn't stray too far."

Tyeal
2015-04-27, 10:45 PM
Erias Lustrik

Erias watches as his compatriots take hold of this man's research information, peering into the book with the others. While he was just as surprised as everyone else to see this unassuming man had access to such advanced research, he was in no position to simply take from him. Being a scholar and researcher himself, he was for letting this information develope and hone itself, possibly coming into practice when it was safer to recreate. As he watches Anton make clear actions to arrest the researcher, once more he stands between them, interposing himself as he addresses Anton. "I formally put this man under the protection of the Covenant of Malediction. I will not allow you to take his life's work so easily, bullying him to give over information he's spent years gathering. If you want him to come with you Anton, you must first get past me."

Intimidate: [roll0]

Ionbound
2015-04-27, 11:52 PM
Silvia turns her arrow on Erias and snorts, saying, "You really think Avacyn will help you protect this scum? Fine. Let's put things to a test. My faith versus yours. Protect him if you can." With that, she aims back at the man and looses the arrow at his lower leg, not aiming to hurt him overmuch but hopefully enough to slow him down and make him consider his situation.

Sadly, I don't have hobbling shot so a ranged basic will have to do.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Jalor
2015-04-28, 12:08 AM
Anton Dietrich

"Only my mother calls me Anton, you know." Dietrich leans in and whispers to Erias. "Look, I don't think he's dangerous and I'm not going to hand him over to the inquisitors unless I have proof that he is. I'm... ninety-eight percent sure he's not a skaberen, but what if he truly has stumbled across something dangerous? Until we have more information, doing it like this covers every possible outcome. If he's an innocent scholar working to improve the lives of humans everywhere, we apologize for the trouble and offer him an honorary position to make up for it. Maybe more than an honorary position - even I have a hard time making sense of this book, and you know how rarely I admit that. If we raid the lab and find skaabs or worse, then we already have him in custody and don't have to track him down. If he's somewhere in the middle, defector from a skaab ring maybe, they'll send someone else to try and kill him before he can tell us anything... but as a prisoner we can keep him perfectly safe. Look up my record; I've never maimed or killed a human prisoner before their sentencing." He thinks for a second, then presses the manuscript into Erias' arms. "Here, if it makes you feel better. You can keep it safe. Just don't let him leave with it."

After Silvia fires her arrow, Dietrich draws a long blade with a hilt shaped like Avacyn's Collar out of thin air with his free hand. "What the hell was that?' He steps in between all three of them, sword held low. "I don't care whose faith is stronger... nobody else is attacking anyone in this room!" He glances over to Ana. "See to his wound before he bleeds out on this nice floor."

Drekkle
2015-04-28, 01:37 AM
Ana nods, quickly strapping the scabbard of her sword over her shoulders, as she approaches the man, offering to bind his wound with a clean cloth.

[roll0]

"Erias, we would be remiss in our duties if we did not investigate this matter further." Ana states, in a tone that indicates she will hear no arguement. "If this man's research and experiments have produced such... such abberations as are in his journals, I would see it all put to the torch, and the one responsible given to the judgements of the priests. Silvia, consider this man to be under my protection as well, but know that I intend to deliever him to Avacyn's judgement."

Cilvyn
2015-04-28, 03:13 AM
François nods heavily. "Yes, yes a scholar a reasercher like me. We both know what it's like to dedicate our lives to something other than ourselves Once he hears Anton will keep watch over him he shifts a foot towards him, seeing in him a protector.

Erias steps in and the man falls on his knees. Another scholar, Avacyn be praised. Thank you for your protection kind sir. The covenant must be a very just and holy one! Please let this woman not destroy my work, this is jsut the things I wrote down, imagine what I can do more. Let me work for you. I shall complete my work and do much more things for you. Surely you would like to know what I know, I can make it so just....AHHHHHH The man scream out when the arrow hits his leg. You hit him pretty good the arrow pierces his entire leg. Looking at the place where you hit him, you probably split his legbone in half. He rolls over and screams out again AAHH, DAMNED MONDRONEN my LEG!! AAHHH That hurts.. Oh Avacyn.. my leg

You hear noises from out of the kitchen and you see the innkeeper in his nighties stumbling in with a candle and a kitchen knife. Once he sees the stiuation for a second you think he will whine about his floor and his customer, but then he shakes his head and with wide open eyes he mutters

I didn't see anything, this is church business, I didn't see anything...

He quickly turns arund and hurries back to his room.

Dear Avacyn, how can you.. you will pay for this!! Auch.. François' voice lowers a bit, but he is in alot of pain.

Yes, fair lady, please protect me, but don't give me to the priests, they will not only shoot my leg like this <A really uggly word comes out of his mouth> here, you know what they will do, Listen to your fellow companions, they seem to know what is important. Let me finish my work, then I happily deliver myself to Avacyns Judgement!

Cursing with howlpacknames or even vampire bloodlines is not uncommon, it would be a pretty serious curseword though, something bystanders would frown upon or even be frightened about. Superstition is strong in Innistrad and calling names of things that are stornger than you and have the intention to kill you is considered overconfident and causing bad luck

It is well played but this man is not so much in pain, he is actually enjoying himself over your quarrel. You notice the twinkling eyes when the arguments gets hotter between you four. Sure the man is in pain, but it is not like he is not used to it. The wound is pretty serious, but a man with his knowledge about alchemy and most likely the arcane knows how to heal a wound like that quite easily.

Ionbound
2015-04-28, 10:25 AM
Silvia sighs and says, "Cut the act. You and I both know that you could heal that any time you want. 's why I care a little bit less about your well-being than I normally would. Anyways, we are not putting on a show for your amusement, either. You are not finishing your work, you are not going back to your lab. You are going to spend the rest of your pathetic and hopefully short life in a nice cold hole until someone figures out what to do with you."

Jalor
2015-04-28, 11:01 AM
Anton Dietrich

Dietrich tilts his head. "He could heal it himself? Is there something you're not telling me, Silvia?"

Ionbound
2015-04-28, 12:04 PM
Silvia nods and says, "He's faking. Pretty damn well, but I've been around enough to recognize someone who's pretending to be hurting a lot more than they are. Some of the kids back home would hurt themselves a little and make a huge deal out of it to avoid...Well, a lot of things. This fellow thinks he knows he can mend himself with whatever dark magic or foul sciences he's using in his lab and is putting on a show."

Tyeal
2015-04-28, 08:37 PM
Erias Lustrik

The Invoker couldn't stop the arrow from flying, it was too fast for him to react to. His eyes flared red for a moment and he began to chant something in a Nephilian dialect, but stopped halfway through his chant. His hand fell from where it was pointing at Silvia, his other hand moving off the Rod tucked into his belt. Any more attacking would just make things worse, and they had already done enough damage in the eyes of the patrons here. Snorting at Silvia as his eyes faded back to their auburn hue, he knelt down to tend to the wounded scholar, producing a separate bag from his pack to help Ana in tending to his wounds. Murmuring to the scholar, "Make me a copy of your journal before we leave in the morning. I will study it to determine how dangerous your work is."

Assisting Heal: [roll0]

Jalor
2015-04-28, 10:54 PM
Anton Dietrich

Dietrich gives Silvia a sideways glance. "If we can't set that bone well enough for him to walk, someone's going to have to heal him with magic..." He lowers his voice. "...or convince him it's in his best interest to take care of it himself, if he really can."

Drekkle
2015-04-29, 12:20 AM
Ana Moreau

"He ought to be able to walk, especially with someone supporting him." Ana says "And we would be remiss in our duties if we did not escort him to his home. And there, he could show us a few more examples of how far his research has progressed." Ana says, struggling to keep a neutral tone when talking about the man's research.

'If he's actually been creating monsters...' Ana shudders inwardly as she recalls the twisted images within the pages of the his notebook, steeling her resolve for whatever is to come.

Cilvyn
2015-04-29, 03:12 AM
François nods at Erias, calming down a little now the cathars tend to his wounds.

Yes, I think I can walk. He gets up a littlebit if you help him, but still seems very hurt. He is very pale.

So what are you going to do now with me? I'm not going anywhwere with this injury and it is late I don't want to upset the nightspirits, I think.. I think i need rest.. the man becomes more heavy in your arms, turns possibly even more pale. Can we please rest, tomorrow is another day.

Drekkle
2015-04-29, 04:06 AM
"We'll get you home soon." Ana states, letting the man sit in the chair as she moves to speak privately with her fellow Cathars. "I think we should take him back to his home. While we're there, Lustick and Dietrech can investigate further into his research, while Silvia and I take turns keeping watch on him. I would see this matter dealt with now, and without giving him a chance to cause harm."

Cilvyn
2015-04-29, 07:28 AM
My house? I just live in a small place at the inside of the city wall, nothing special there. Can't we just stay here and.. He touches the arrow in his leg -By avacyn, that looks bad - get some rest?

Ionbound
2015-04-29, 09:29 AM
Silvia smirks at Ana's words and says, "Indeed. It would be quite remiss of us not to help you home. And what do you have to fear from the night with four cathars in the middle of a city?"

Cilvyn
2015-04-29, 10:13 AM
The man bites his lip obviously hoped he would be able to change your minds. He keeps his mouth shut waiting for your decision.

You can take action now if you like. You kind of know the way to the wall. The man won't strugle if you take him outdoors.
I would like to know if there is concensus to take the man outside and to his home in the city before I will go on, you can either RP it here or let us know in the OOC.

Jalor
2015-04-29, 10:32 AM
Anton Dietrich

Dietich nods and walks to the door, holding it open for the others.

Ionbound
2015-04-29, 11:01 AM
Silvia lifts the man to his feet, a little more roughly than is strictly necessary, but does carry him out the door on her shoulder, careful to keep his injured leg from taking any weight.

Cilvyn
2015-04-29, 02:14 PM
The man doesn't resists, you are not sure because he wants you to take him or because he really does respect that you somehow treat him well.

When you step outside the wind blows in your face, at first you think it is alright, but after about twenty seconds the cold creeps in and penetrates your flesh untill yuo cannot keep your jaw still. It is not so much cold tempretaure but an unnatural cold. The air is clear and a big full white moon shines a pale light on the street, the houses and yourself. A spectral glow of silver.

You walk over the cobblestone streets along houses of the same coublestone and wood. Thick dark wood, doors studded with iron. Windows barred with metal. During the day the sun and the crowd make it look quite cozy, now it is like you are walking through a haunted city, or a prison. There is no one out at this hour, which is not suprizing. The Cathedral casts a shadow over the houses and towers over the city like an intimidating monster.

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/daily/ftl/ftl182_curse.jpg
Without the creepy skull-spirit-thingy.. it's about the atmosphere

You make your way towards the city wall. You walk over a small square and then you (all) hear a noise coming from closeby. If you listen carefully it sounds like something is scraping over the ground. If you walk closer you see a dark ally. You cannot see what is in there, the houses on both sides block all the light (even lowlight vision won't help you here) What you can see is a barrel standing against the wall of the house on the left and some fire wood piled up behind it. You hear the sound again, like metal scrapes over the floor and something is moving.

It is still about ten minutes walk to the city wall where the house of the man should be.. while you stand and listen, the scraping sound comes closer.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/324/d/6/cramped_city_streets__night_by_hero339-d6uxe4o.jpg
You walk from the left to the right over the small square with all the light shining from the windows. Directly on your left side (seen from your characters) is the ally.

Drekkle
2015-04-29, 02:33 PM
Ana Moreau

As the eerie sound draws closer, Ana takes a closer look around her surroundings, trying to figure out what it is, and where it's coming from. While she does, she takes a length of silk rope from her pack, using it to bind the old man's wrists behind you. "Sorry, but in these dark times, we can't take any chances," She says, not sounding too apologetic as she restrains his arms behind him.

Ionbound
2015-04-29, 02:39 PM
Silvia frowns as she says, "Shh...I hear something..." She glances around, noticing a piece of metal rolling towards them and says, "That's...Odd. Piece of metal rolling towards us. Someone else is here. Be on your guards."

Drekkle
2015-04-29, 02:48 PM
Ana turns towards the source of the noise, seeing something metallic shimmering in the dark. Nodding with agreement to Silvia, she lays a hand on her fullblade, ready to draw at a moment's notice.

Jalor
2015-04-29, 02:51 PM
Anton Dietrich

When Silvia points out the piece of metal, Dietrich makes a grabbing motion with his left hand and a claw of lightning launches from the points of his wrist razors, grasping the object and pulling it closer.

Lightning Lure [roll0] to hit, [roll1] lightning damage and pull it to the nearest square adjacent to me if it hits.

Cilvyn
2015-04-29, 02:56 PM
When you pull the metal object closer and it comes out of the darkness it appears to be a bucket. Now it is closer you hear a soft sund from coming inside. 'muuuu muuuu' It is a sot wailing sound.

If you pick up the bucket you see a small kitten inside. It seems to be stuck inside the bucket and its little fur is al poofy from the hit of lightning. It meouws soflty clearly in pain.

Jalor
2015-04-29, 03:05 PM
Anton Dietrich

Dietrich's eyes widen as he peers into the bucket. He reaches into the bucket and pulls out the kitten, rushing to Silvia's side and holding it up. "I... How badly did I hurt it?" He looks far more disturbed at the sight of the wounded kitten than he did reading the scholar's manuscript.

Drekkle
2015-04-29, 03:09 PM
Ana Moreau

"But what's a kitten doing in a rolling bucket late at night?" Ana asks, confusion on her face.

Ionbound
2015-04-29, 03:14 PM
Silvia claps slowly and says, "Good job, there. You've saved us all from the menaces of a harmless kitten," though a tenor in her voice is relieved that's all it was. She smiles and walks over, petting the kitten gently and says, "Hey there, lil' fella. You're okay now. We thought you were something worse. Let's get you fixed up. Be healed." As she pets and speaks gently to the small creature, her hands begin to glow and holy light washes over the kitten, hopefully healing it's wounds.

She nods to Ana and says, "Probably just a stray. Someone's unwanted pet, maybe. Either way he's coming with us. He's already got an owner or has one now."

Healing Word! [roll0]+kitty healing surge

Jalor
2015-04-29, 03:21 PM
Anton Dietrich

Dietrich seems to relax a little as his companion cares for the kitten. He looks sheepishly at his hand, sparks still jumping from it. "My magic can be a bit... overzealous. I had to learn how to hold back when I was training at the seminary."

Cilvyn
2015-04-29, 03:29 PM
The kitten mews softly as your healing light heals its electrolized body. Once healed the kitten crawls up on your arms and licks your fingers, mewing seemingly happy.

"Gahaha, oh dear Avacyn, call the guards there is a kitten on the lose. hahahaha" The man laughs hard, echoing through the empty streets and turns over turning his laughter into a painfull groan."Damned leg.. you better used that on me, in stead of that animal.. so much for mighty cathars..."

The sound of his laughter echos a bit too loud for your taste. You never know what dark things it could attract.

Tyeal
2015-04-29, 03:41 PM
Erias Lustrik

Erias could only stare at Anton and his casting, wondering if all his fellow Cathar were this liberal with violence. He had opted to keeping their scholarly ally supported as they moved. While not weak himself, his more martial allies were better off if they could use both hands in combat. Hearing the wounded old man speak however, he looked at him and shot him a glare, muttering, "Quiet." not in a threatening way. Just firm. Erias was prepared to let lose his own divine power if a serious threat were to be summoned by the elderly scholar's loud voice. And preferred to keep this walk uneventful.

Cilvyn
2015-04-29, 04:20 PM
The man sniffles some more about the whole situation and you cannot shake the the feeling your precense in the street is no longer a secret. Yu move along to the city wall. There the more poor people live and you see the quality of the houses gets worse when you get closer to the wall. François doesn't really tries to make a secret of the location of his house, knowing it would just take more time untill you all would get there.

His house is almost jsut a shack, made of wood, clearly not made by someone who knows alot about houses. Wooden planks are amturely nailed together and you immagine it would get pretty cold inside. It is big enough to stand in, and is big enough to contain about one big room. The door is at the side and when you come closer you see the place is covered in cobweb. THere are bugs crawling all over the wood almost making the house look alive. You are surpized how this discrace for a house is not burned down yet. On the other hand it is relativly well-hidden and the people who would come to this place wouldn't care about a house like that. The contrast between the main, clean and maintained parts of the city and these suburbs is immense.

Welcome to my home, it is not much, but please enter and make yourself at home.
When you come closer the man speaks in dialect aah gutenacht, mijne schattekes. Papa is weer zhause.

"aah, Goodnight my babies, daddy is home again"

Ionbound
2015-04-29, 04:31 PM
Silvia pets the kitten as they walk and says to the man, "My healing is only for innocents."

When they arrive at the insect-infested house, she shudders, perching the baby cat on her shoulders once the initial shock has worn off, she frowns and mouths at Ana, Papa? before saying, "I have half a mind to have this place condemned. Get whatever you want to prove your case out here."

Jalor
2015-04-29, 04:41 PM
Anton Dietrich

"There's no way this is where you do your research. Either there's a hidden room somewhere or you have a lab in Nephalia." Dietrich begins to search the room, still keeping his weapons ready.

Arcana [roll0]
Perception [roll1]

Cilvyn
2015-04-29, 04:42 PM
François smirks. Sure go inside.. Of should I?

Drekkle
2015-04-29, 04:48 PM
Ana Moreau

"I'll go in first, you all stay out here and watch him. I'll shout if I need help." Ana says, dropping into a crouch near the door. Carefully easing it open, she slips inside quietly.

Stealth: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

Cilvyn
2015-04-29, 05:01 PM
When you open the door you have to litterally push the cobweb and insects cralwing in them. The rest sees Ana go inside and have to wait for her to come out again

Iside the 'house' is not more than a wooden desk and aot of strange objects and instruments. The room is about 12 by 16 feet (3x4 meters) In the corner is a small bed, nothing more than a few sacs stuffed with hey.

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/daily/arcana/896_jarofeyeballssketch.jpg
The instruments and objects are pretty much as on thos picture, including the jar with eyeballs, although the amount of eyeballs on this picture is a bit too much, geh it is more like 10 eyeballs drifing in a weird jelly liquid

besides that there are small cages everywhwere with small cricits and spiders in them. One thing stands out and that is a circle on the ground with weird drawings. You recognize some symbols as beeing Nephalian and saying the word 'home' quite frequently. It is about 3 by 3 feet (1m2) and written with chalk and ink.

There are also some papers with a detailed analysis of disected eyes, of both human and insect. There is also alot of silk looking substance on the floor (not the fabric, but like from cocoons).

When you get closer the insects start to get restless, they seem to fly a little closer to you and especially land on François, for as far as you can tell, they behave quite hostile towards you and more and more swarm around François as they were to protect their hive queen.

Ja, Ja komme schattekes, kom!

"Yes, yes babies come to me"

Jalor
2015-04-29, 05:39 PM
Anton Dietrich

"Careful around those bugs - some of them are radiating magic." He takes a small piece of silk from the floor and tucks it into a pouch on his belt. "That circle on the floor looks like a dormant portal. Think it leads back to his main lab in Nephalia?"

Drekkle
2015-04-30, 03:43 AM
Ana Moreau

Ana nods grimly. "Probably. I'm finished here, I've seen all that I need to see," she says, striding out. Upon seeing the bugs swarming around their master, she shouts "Let's get him away from here before he can do something worse with those insects! We'll be handing him over to the inquisitors as soon as we can."

Cilvyn
2015-04-30, 10:16 AM
http://oi59.tinypic.com/206by9e.jpg

If something is not clear or not right, let me know. It seems a little chaotic, even for me, geh.

Consider yourselfs in combat.

Initiative Order
---TOP---
Firedaemon33
Tyael
Drekkle
Jalor
Fançois
Swarm Inside
Swarm Outside (His action is already included in this post as a surprize round
---BOTTOM---
THe white circles are the swarms and occupy the entire 3 squares. These tiles are considered difficult terrain.

Please only open the spoiler where your character is. You can however write your actions without spoiler because you are still able to communicate through the walls by voice, although you cannot see through them, so keep that in mind.
Please always list the amount of HP above your post when in combat, like this [HP 35/43] or a similar way so it is imediatly clear what your status is.
You can already write your action, even if it is not your turn according to the initiative. You can for example say if this happens I will do this, of that happens I will do that. In the end it will all come together and I will summarize everything at the end of each round, so it will not get mixed you know already what you want to do and write it down already.

Once you walk to the door to get outside, the already cobweb-infested house seems to really come alive and in the dooropening becomes shut by hundred tiny spiders that spin (I hope this is the right translation = make) a web that lock you inside within just a few seconds. Meanwhile the insects inside swarm together and start to act very hostile towards you. They fly close to you and land on your face, and body and crawl inside your clothes.

If you want to destroy the webs blocking your way out you will enter a skill challenge. See how skill challenges work in the spoiler below. The insects in the house is (counts as 1) now considered an enemy creature and you can choose to attack it. To perform a part of the skill challenge, however, takes/costs a standard action. Both working to destroy the web and fighting the creature at the same time is not possible. You can RP to work out who will do what. Maybe you want to let one person destroy the web, maybe you want to kill the creature together first, that is up to you. (The web will become stronger over time though, if you do not keep destroying it... Switching after destroying the web half way to fight the creature will undo your previous efforts in the skill challenge) One person can aid the other with his skillcheck, this will go according the rules in the PHB regarding aiding with skillchecks.

"hahahah, yes yes. Komme kleine liebes, komme to my"
The insects now swarm around you and land on your face, body and crawl in your clothes. First you feel a soft pinching feeling, but quickly the pain becomes more intense and in more places on your body. The insects use their tiny mouths, stingers to injure you and meanwhile swarm like a protecting shield around the body of François.
You see the door where Ana and Anton went in, becomes clocked a thick web made of hundred tiny spiders. Your view is blocked and you fear for their savety inside the house.

Silvia: You feel a bit dizzy after being stung so many times, your sight gets a bit blurry and things around you seem to move like shadows

If you want to destroy the webs blocking your way in you will enter a skill challenge. See how skill challenges work in the spoiler below. The insects outside (counts as 1) now considered an enemy creature and you can choose to attack it. To perform a part of the skill challenge, however, takes/costs a standard action. Both working to destroy the web and fighting the creature at the same time is not possible. You can RP to work out who will do what. Maybe you want to let one person destroy the web, maybe you want to kill the creature together first, that is up to you. (The web will become stronger over time though, if you do not keep destroying it... Switching after destroying the web half way to fight the creature will undo your previous efforts in the skill challenge) One person can aid the other with his skillcheck, this will go according the rules in the PHB regarding aiding with skillchecks.

"Yes, Yes, come my little ones, come to me."

Silvia takes the first hit of 12 Damage. Roll a save to see if you recover in your turn.

If you are not familiar to skill challenges yuo can read the Dungeon Master's guide page 72. I may however handle them slightly different, so bear with me. Once in a skillchallenge you use your skills to get successes, just like normal rolls. SC can differ in difficulty, some need 4 successes before 3 failures, other need 8 successes before 4 failures for example.

As a player you have to figure out what skills to use and you can use one skill per round. You wil not be completely in the dark, because I will give enough hints, after you figure out some stuff yourself, to help you further. Successes in a specific skill open up new usable skills to gain successes in. A failure will just count as a failure and if reached a certain amount before a successfull end of the challenge will result in failing the skill challenge as a whole, with apropriate consequences. (You can read a sample Skill Challenge in the DMG pp. 76).

Jalor
2015-04-30, 05:37 PM
Anton Dietrich [41/41]

"Ana, go help the others. I'll take care of these bugs!" Dietrich grits his teeth with effort and starts whirling his sword over his head, sending a wide wave of pure mana into the swarm. Sparks travel down his arm as he continues the motion, throwing out a second wave.

Leave my Aegis on François, spend an action point. I'm pretty sure speaking is a free action, so she can hear me even though my turn is technically after hers.
Standard: Sword Burst [roll0] vs Reflex, [roll1] force damage. That's a close burst, so it deals full damage (plus extra? I forget.)
Other Standard: Sword Burst [roll2] vs Reflex, [roll3] force damage.

Ionbound
2015-04-30, 06:33 PM
Silvia swears in Kessig as her vision starts to go blurry, but she shakes her head, steeling her resolve through the swarm even as she gives up ground and fires a pair of arrows at Fracois, aiming to kill the queen...Or king as the case may be.

22/34 HP

Use Yield Ground when I take damage, shifting away from the Swarm and Francois 4 squares.

Use Two-Fanged Strike on Francois, Dex vs. AC:
Attack 1: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Attack 2: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

If both hit, deal four extra damage.

Tyeal
2015-04-30, 08:51 PM
Erias Lustrik [31/31]

The old scholar had slipped up in more ways than one. The biggest being taking advantage of Erias' offer of protection when his allies attacked for seemingly no reason. He resented that protection by stepping to the middle of the warm all around him, drawing his enchanted rod, and pointing it down at the various bodies around them. His eyes flashed red, channeling that red energy into a wide area around him. Striking their tiny brains with rage-fueled Psychic force.

Visions of Blood (Close Burst 3)(Wis vs. Reflex): [roll0]

Drekkle
2015-05-01, 02:41 AM
Ana Moreau

"Are you sure you'll be alright in here?" Ana asks with concern, but already she moves to do what Dietrech said, knowing a moment's hesitation in battle can lead to death. She slides her blade out of it's scabbard as she takes a step to the side, swinging the heavy sword around in an arc to bash it into the planks of the ramshackle wall. With new opening in the wall letting her see outside, she focuses on the man at the center of the swarm, muttering an oath to see him fall.

Moving two squares to the left, then attacking or whatever to the wall, so I can see outside. Once that's done, I'm declaring my Oath of Emnity on bug-man. If he ends his turn within 10 squares of Ana, but not adjacent to Ana, I'm using Dimensional Stride to teleport to a space adjacent to him, not adjacent to any other enemies if possible. The attack that comes with the teleport is +9 versus AC, rolled twice if the man is the only enemy I'm adjacent to. 1d12+5 damage if it hits.

Cilvyn
2015-05-01, 04:30 AM
http://oi62.tinypic.com/2a9tvgz.jpg

Firedaemon33
Tyael
Drekkle
Jalor
Fançois
Swarm Inside
Swarm Outside

Erias steps in the swarm trying to damage the swarm. His attacks seem not to have much effect. However something strange occurs, although you are in the middle of the swarm, the tiny creatures ignore you completely.

You do not get 5 damage.

Anton Sends waves of force magic at the swarm of bugs. Your attacks shoot holes in the vast swarm, but the swarm quickly fills up the gaps swirling around you. It seems your attacks have effect on the swarm, but the swarm is not yet killed. The swarm in the house closes in on you and tiny stingers pierce your skin injecting you with poison.

Both attacks hit! gratz!
You take 5 damage at the start of your turn.
You take 13 damage from the swarm attack and you feel dizzy. (-2 on attackrolls)

Silvia Shoots two arrows at Fraçois hitting him twice in his body. He screams, his eyes light up in a dark glow. Around him it seems like dark flames surround him, the rope around him burns away and he stands up. His appearance is all the sudden much more intimidating; An old bald man with demonlike black eyes with demonic flames surrounding his body. Nothing of his previous frailty remains. He walks towards the door of his house, ignoring you and protected by his swarm of insects.

Your attacks both hit.
You take 5 damage at the start of your turn.
The dizziness wears off. I didn't see a roll, so I did it for you and you succeeded.

Ana manages to break some of the wooden wall, just enough to have a look outside. It is hard but you manage to see François standing in the middle of the swarm very close to her (with only the wall in between) You Manage to turn into pure mana and appear at the other side of the wall but due to the swarm blocking most of your vision and immediatly crawling all over you, you do not manage to attack him as well. The moment you stand close to François the swarm buzzes angry seeing a threat so close to their master and immediately dive onto you almost riddling you with their stings.

I rolled for you and you rolled a 1.. I'm sorry, not kidding.

Next round

Jalor
2015-05-01, 09:54 AM
Anton Dietrich [23/41]

Through the pain of the stings and bites, Dietrich notices François approaching closer to the house. "Oh, no you don't..." With a snap of his fingers and a flourish of his blade, he teleports with an earsplitting BOOM to block the doorway of the house and stabs his sword at François, aiming upward into the ribcage for a quick kill. "Give him everything you've got! We'll have time to rest afterward!"

Standard: Dimensional Thunder! Teleport 2 squares diagonally so I'm right outside the door blocking the way in, in the square directly to François' right. [roll0] vs Fortitude, [roll1] thunder damage and every adjacent enemy (which in this case is both swarms AND François) take ongoing 5 thunder damage (save ends) regardless of whether I hit or miss.
Also, burn some dailies and action points, people! It's the middle of the night and we're going to sleep soon!

Ionbound
2015-05-01, 11:43 AM
When she sees the man's transformation, Silvia lets out a long stream of angry Kessing cursing as she draws another pair of arrows back and fires, aiming at the man's heart.

Mark the man as my Hunter's Quarry, then Twin Strike!

Attack 1:
Damage: [roll1]+1d6

Attack 2: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Tyeal
2015-05-01, 02:04 PM
Erias Lustrik [26/31]

He was confused twice. Once for the swarm seemingly ignoring his spell, and again for seemingly doing.. nothing to him. They just swarmed over his feet, but did nothing to him. He heard the sounds of battle coming from the house, and soon laid eyes on what was once the scholar. His eyes were now smoldering orbs of black fire as he stood visibly in front of the web-covered doorway, seemingly getting ready to leave and all but ignoring his allies.

Not one to let this now-clearly dangerous foe away, he jammed the head of his rod into his chest and gave a cry of pain as he wrenched a pair of ethereal knives from his torso. He launched the blades with a thought and a wave of his rod, sending them flying through the air towards his target, wincing as he gestured at the revealed figure.

Knives of the Soul (Encounter)(Wis vs. Reflex)(10 squares): [roll0]
If Hit: Pushes the target back 4 squares

Drekkle
2015-05-02, 04:23 AM
Ana Moreau

Now outside of the hut, with the strange old man next to her, Ana swings her sword in a wide arc, turning with the blade.

Sorry, late night for me. If the attack hits, Ana shifts one space backwards, and moves Francois into the space she previously occupied. Overwhelming Strike, versus AC.
[roll0]

Cilvyn
2015-05-02, 05:23 PM
http://oi60.tinypic.com/r23tbo.jpg

The fight gets more intens and you fight as a team forcing your opponent away from the door with both powerful magic and mighty swordmanship
as you have noticed I sometimes switch your turns around a bit to make it all fit better. This is most of the time in your advantage, but I also use it to make it serve my needs for the game. In this case I will have Jalor do his thing first, because otherwise I have to perform alot of move actions for you or your actions would become illigal, because Tyael pushes the man away some squares. I hope it is okay I see a round as one event where things happen mostly at the same time. If you ever do like to make the order differently than I did, let me know then we can alter it a bit, if possible.

I marked François positions after use all the different pulling and pushing ability, so you can track his movement and what I did

First Ana steps in dancing with her enormous blade trading place with François forcing him to step aside with her sword (1). To stand so near the man has its cost as you feel the hair on your skin melt being so close to the demonic flames surrounding François' body. Then Anton follows Ana's example and turns into pure mana appearing again at the other side of the wall, radiating pure lighting to the surrounding, hitting François and his swarm of insects. Alot of the tiny creatures die from the shock and drop on the ground. Also he feels the intense heat burning his skin.

When you attack François you take 8 fire damage.

When you attack François you take 8 fire damage.
You are still feeling dizzy and you seem to see things double now. (-4 to attacks and skillchecks and only able to shift)

Then a wave of knifes blow past Anton piercing the body of François and as a massive gust of wind pushing him backwards to the east side of the wooden house. François black/purple flames flare up and seem to smolder the ethereal knifes sticking in his body. François lets out a scream of pain, this time you know it is for real (Firedaemon :smallwink:) Silvia shoots two arrows on François that also gets consuimed by the fare around his body. He shakes his head after beeing tossed around and orientates on his new position(2).

He lets the fire burn in his hands as he walks towards the wooden wall of his 'house'.
Lass es je smakken, little ones! Papa geht zu house the man cackles.
You see the wood burning to ash in litterally a few seconds and François walks in the house. out of your sight.

Feast on their flesh, my little ones. Daddy is going home

The insects buzz angry when they notice their master is in pain and the come crawling ans flying thruogh the wooden walls of the shack outside There they find Ana and dive on her like a pack of hungry wolves.

You take 13 damage from the swarm

The other swarm, barely to be kept appart from the other, for you it is just one enourmous cloud of insects moves towards Silvia, biting stinging her on each inch of her body the insects can crawl.

The insects fly aoround you, but seem not to be able to hurt you so quickly

Tyeal
2015-05-03, 04:45 PM
Erias Lustrik [26/31]

He watched his daggers hit home, but the burning figure continued to move. As did the swarms. He got lucky the first time, but didn't want to enter the middle of either of them again. He moved himself to get a better view of the inside of the home through the doorway, and decided to try and rid them of the swarm. Raising his blessed instrument, two bolts of light fell from the sky, striking the swarms in an attempt to vanquish them in one spell.

(Shifted myself three square to the right)

Divine Bolts (Wis vs. Reflex): [roll0]

Ionbound
2015-05-04, 12:09 PM
Silvia frowns and says, "I don't think so. You're not getting away that easily." She pulls a flint and steel out of her belt-pouch and lights one of her arrows on fire before shooting it at the hut, aiming to burn the place down.

I don't know what I have to roll, but I assume it'll involve a ranged attack, so...
[roll0]

Drekkle
2015-05-04, 07:48 PM
Ana Moreau [29/37]

After a quick step back, and a slash from her sword which disperses the swarm near her, Ana dashes towards the hole in the hut where Francois is trying to escape, her blade swinging in a series of heavy slashes.

Actions: Everything is versus AC.
1: Angelic Alacrity: Shift 4 spaces down before the attack. Because Francois is my Oath, and the only target adjacent to me, I get to roll twice to hit.
Roll1:[roll0] Roll2:[roll1] Damage: [roll2]
2: Action pointing for another standard action, and using that for aspect of might. Rolling twice to hit again.
Roll1:[roll3] Roll2:[roll4] Damage: [roll5] If it's a miss, half damage.

Jalor
2015-05-05, 11:14 AM
Anton Dietrich

Blood from two dozen bug bites is dripping into his eyes and the venom is starting to make his knees weak, but Dietrich is still standing. Lightning gathers around his fist before he lashes out at the old man with a much more powerful version of the spell he used earlier on the bucket. "Get over here!"

Standard: Lightning Lure [roll0] vs Fortitude, [roll1] lightning damage and pull him 3 squares closer if it hits.
Save vs poison? [roll2]

Cilvyn
2015-05-05, 02:30 PM
Ana almost flies in the house like she is an lethal human arrow using her sword as the arrow tip. You impale the sword in François body, blood gushing out of his would. Ha falls on the fround with the sword pierce right through his chest.

ney... my reseach.. unfinished he brings out before blood fills his mouth and after a few seconds of choking hes body stops shaking and lays dead o nthe floor. Insects around you suddenly seem to lose their focus and fly against the walls trying to get out of this place.

Outside in the meantime the thunder strikes the cloud of insects instantly frying them in the air. They drop down on you like rain.

Silvias arrow catches flame and hits the wood of the house. Because of the cobweb it is covered in it catches flame rather fast and within a few seconds the entire wall is on fire quickly speading over the entire buidling.

You manage to grab some of the documents and equipments if you choose to and you can get out of the house. Once you gather outside you see the fire consume the house. For a moment the fire quenches and you feel a chill go over your spine. The cold of the night returns after the heat of battle. You have the feeling you are still not alone although your enemies have been slain. A shiver goes through your body and you have to resist to not get out of here as quickly as you can.

The kitten mews softly. His pelt is full of insects stuck in the fur. The little cat tries to get them out by licking and biting the insects.

You look at eachother what to do now...

The combat is over, both swarms are dead and François as well.
I'll post something about XP in the OOC.

A hint: François probably has some loot. No worries the fire won't destroy it.

Ionbound
2015-05-05, 06:46 PM
Silvia helps the kitten preen it's fur of insects and look at the blazing house as she says, "Damn...Good riddance." She then sighs and says, "So...I suppose we should go back to the Inn, then."

Jalor
2015-05-05, 08:28 PM
Anton Dietrich

Dietrich wipes the blood from his eyes. "Actually, I wanted to search the remains of the house first. See if there's anything we missed our first time through."

Cilvyn
2015-05-06, 04:19 PM
After the house is completely burned down (that will take about an half hour, the wood is dry and old, and the cobweb helps to let the fire burn fast) you can search the house. When you push the still smoldering pieces of wood away you can see the burned body of François. He is not fully consumed by the fire and the sight is pretty gruesome. If you examine him closely he has a ring on his finger which looks rather special. In his other hand he holds a coin. You immediately see it is no ordinary coin.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7258/6894156990_d7019f4e6c.jpg

For the rest you see the circle on the ground which you might have noticed if you have been in the house during the fight. (OOC:I won't roll for this, since one of you probably will know what it is and tell the rest) It is a teleportation circle. Looking at the, partially wiped out by the fire, writings that make the circle, you recognize very old Nephalian symbols, you can't directly read them, because they are so old and mostly wiped out. Even if the circle was complete you would not be able to use it. It is a linked portal that needs certain command words to let the person in the circle be transported to a fixed location. You suspect the other end to be somewhere in Nephalia.

Drekkle
2015-05-07, 04:28 PM
Ana Moreau

On seeing the coin clutched in the man's fist, Ana supresses a start of surprise, quickly prying it free of the man's fingers, and palming it, hiding the coin from any eyes that may be watching, as she slips it into a small pouch.

Thievery: [roll0]

Ionbound
2015-05-07, 04:38 PM
Silvia glares at Ana and says, "No stealing evidence. That coin is most likely connected to the Nephalian corpse trade, considering what this man was doing. Give it to me. Now."

Perception: [roll0]

Drekkle
2015-05-07, 06:15 PM
Ana Moreau

"It isn't. We can talk about this later, once we're back at the in. It's not safe to speak of things like this in the open." Ana states tersely, with a glance at the dark treeline surrounding the smoldering cabin.

Ionbound
2015-05-07, 09:33 PM
Silvia raises her eyebrows and gives Ana a pointed look and says, "Oh really? Well, why did you try to conceal taking it, then? I'm sure you can at least tell me that."

Drekkle
2015-05-07, 09:55 PM
Ana Moreau

"It's not safe to talk about things like this in the open." Ana repeats. "Who knows what could be watching in the dark?"

Tyeal
2015-05-08, 10:05 AM
Erias Lustrik

The battle finally 'won', Erias set about, with the rest of his group, examining the scholar's house. He was more mad at himself than anything, wanting to believe there was a studious person like himself, trying to discover new answers to age-old problems. And after the fire and their fight, it seems there was nothing left of the old man's research, save for his half-charred corpse and...

Erias knelt down, speaking as he examined the ring, "We're discussing it in private." Stating that rather firmly and not wanting further talk about it. He didn't get a good look at what Ana swiped, but she was right to want to share information not out in the open.

Arcane check to check ring's magic properties, if any: [roll0]

Ionbound
2015-05-08, 06:02 PM
Silvia sighs and says, "Fine. But if you 'lose' the coin, I will hold you fully responsible."

Drekkle
2015-05-09, 03:49 AM
Ana Moreau

Ana nods, turning her attention to gazing into the smouldering embers of the hut, hoping to pick out anything that could be saved, or of use in the dying flames.

Perception: [roll0]

Jalor
2015-05-09, 08:07 AM
Anton Dietrich

Noticing the expression on Erias' face, Dietrich steps up behind him and gives a sad sigh. "Does it ever get any easier? Realizing that people are either willing to accept the status quo and live their lives in fear, or turn themselves into monsters and join the others"? He bends down to examine the ring as well.

[roll0]

Ionbound
2015-05-09, 03:20 PM
Silvia snorts when she hears Anton's question to Erias question and says, "That kind of stuff in unforgivable...Wantons, Vampires, Skaabren and Ghoulcallers...They're all traitors to mankind. Even demons are better in a way. They don't know any other way to be," as she helps Ana pick through the rubble.

Cilvyn
2015-05-10, 11:19 AM
When you search through the rouble, you can salvage some instruments like magnefying glasses, and some sort of medical equipment which François used to dissect insects. When you find the right person it would probably be worth about 50-100 Thaler. You also find some half burned documents, which are mostly sketches from the book you arlewady have in your possession.

Cilvyn
2015-05-11, 04:40 AM
After this exhausting adventure you head back to the Inn. It is very late, the night is still dark and you know it will be for the next few hours.

You arrive at the inn. The door is still unlocked, there are still lights burning, the innkeeper was seemingly too affraid to go back in his inn to take care of that.

When you walk in, The kitten jumps out of your arms on the floor and runs around. the kitten is happy to be in a warm home again and chases little pieces of wood it pushes away and then catches again.

You suddenly feel very tired now that the adrenaline leaves your body and you are within the warm safe walls of a house.

There are rooms upstairs for you as the innkeeper offered to you. Four rooms, but you can also share a with up to three persons.

Ionbound
2015-05-11, 02:55 PM
Silvia strokes and grooms the cat as she says, "Hmm...I think I'll call you Wilkmyśliwego. Seems fitting." She yawns, then picks up the kitten and carries it up to a room, preferably one that Ana would be willing to share with her.

Cilvyn
2015-05-12, 06:48 AM
It is in the middle of the night and you are all at the inn when the question rises up about the items found in the house of François.

Drekkle
2015-05-13, 03:21 PM
Ana Moreau

Ana motions for all the others to follow her inside the room she will share with Silvia for a few minutes to discuss the coin. As they enter, she busies herself with closing the shutters before taking a seat on the bed, leaning in as she speaks with a low voice.

"Francois was clutching this coin in his hand." she starts, as she reveals the coin from her pouch. "The origins of this coin and it's sister trace back to the origins of vampires on Innistrad. While I do not know if it has any other special properties, because of it's history, these coins are a status symbol of great importance among the vampire families. The owner would never have parted with it willingly, either he was slain, in which case Francois was consorting with powers far greater than we imagined, or it was stolen. Either way, hundreds of vampires will be searching for this, seeking the favor of the owner, or the status of possessing it. News like this travels fast among the bloodsuckers, we must be careful to conceal this coin's existence, lest a horde of vampires descend on us."

Ionbound
2015-05-13, 05:21 PM
Silvia nods, frowns, and says, "I see. That would be a problem, I concur...Hmm. Yeah. I can see why you didn't want to talk about this Ana. I apologize for suspecting you. This is definitely something we should take to one of the inquisitors to see what they say about it before heading to Nephalia. We might be running into some nasty nest of ancient vampires."

Tyeal
2015-05-14, 11:05 AM
Erias Lustrik

In the morning, Erias followed Ana and the rest of his group into her room, watching her sequester them inside. Upon seeing the symbol on the coin, a visible shudder ran across his body. His face going a shade paler than it already was. He didn't need to hear Ana's explanation; He recognized the symbol right off, given it was Nephilian in nature. Now he understood why she had swiped it in th efirst place. At her suggestion, Erias nodded and added, "We need to get rid of this. Quickly. Have HQ protect it, or just hide it." The last thing he wanted was for them to be trackable by this coin alone. Or worse, run into a vampire and find out they had it on their person.

Drekkle
2015-05-15, 05:11 PM
Ana Moreau

Ana shakes her head. "I think the less people who know about this, the better. The vampires, especially the nobles are well connected, anyone we tell could be an informat for them. As long as we don't tell anyone about the specifics, just that we've found evidence of vampiric involvement in this, we should be safe."

Ionbound
2015-05-15, 05:41 PM
Silvia frowns and says, "I doubt an inquisitor would inform to the vampires. And we can't fight them on our own."

Cilvyn
2015-05-16, 03:43 AM
The fire in the hearth softly burns the last already totally black pieces of wood. A small flame makes the shadows of the furniture dance on the walls. You go to your rooms and fall on your beds, exhausted.

It seems just to have lasted a moment when you are woken by a loud Cockedoodledoo!. You burry your head in the pillow to isolate you from the sound of poeple outside walking and chatting, the birds and all the noises that keep you awake. Then you hear knocking on the door and a soft womans voice:

Sirs, Madams? Breakfast is ready. if you are ready you can come downstairs.

When you decide to go downstairs you see one of the large tables set. There is bread, cheese, milk and even some meat. The innkeepers wife serves you when you eat breakfast. She apologizes for her husband not being here today. My husband is doing business in the city, he apologizes for not being here, but he wants me to inform you that it is a honor having you here and that we hope you enjoyed your stay.

Halfway during the meal a young boy comes into the inn. He is dressed as a Cathar recruit and you immediatly recognize him as a herald from a highplaced Cathar officer.

The boy walks up to you. He stands firm but a bit uncomfortable in your presence.
My master informs you that you should ride out soon to arrive before dusk at the Vess Estate. There you will be briefed for the mission to come. My master got word that yuo have your own means of transportation, but if you would need fresh horses I am ordered to bring you to the stables and provide with the best horses we have.

The boy looks at you and seems a bit dubious, not knowing what to say now that his carefully rehearsed message is given.

Ionbound
2015-05-17, 11:53 PM
Silvia enjoys breakfast as she eats, feeding small bits of bread to Wilk as she goes.

She nods to the woman at some point during the morning and says, "The honor is mine. Your hospitality is very much appreciated." She hands the woman a 10-Thaler piece as well as paying for her room and meal, saying, "Please, take this."

When the boy comes in, she nods to him and says, "I think I'll take you up on the offer of horses. We'll set out as soon as we're done with this rather excellent meal."

Drekkle
2015-05-19, 09:16 PM
Ana Moreau

Ana yawns as she eats the breakfast, the presence of the coin doing little to quiet her fears about being set upon in the night. She gives the woman a few coins, and a soft thanks as she passes by.

Cilvyn
2015-05-21, 02:51 PM
You pack your things, the Innkeepers wife gives you a bottle of wine on the house, you seem to have made quite the impression.

Here meladies gentlemen, some good wine for the road.

The boy walks with you towards the city wall. Not the place where you burned down the house, luckily (or not).

The boy leads you through the streets. You may recognize yourself in in from the time you did your training yourself. After a few minutes you come at a stables. A man waves when you come closer. He holds 2 horses with a small wagon, already made ready for use.

“With the compliments of the master, may your travels be safe”

He gives you an envelope with the signal of Avacyn on it and then walks off. You can take your own wagon as well, I imagine you can attack it to the other wagon which is more comfortable for travel. If you want this it will be made so.

Ionbound
2015-05-23, 12:15 PM
Silvia nods and says, "Thank you for the delivery," to the boy as she accepts the package and, after some thought, opens it in front of the group.