PDA

View Full Version : Drow as a player race

InaVegt
2007-04-16, 01:21 PM
Fluff: same as standard drow.

Drow Traits (Ex)

These traits are in addition to the high elf traits, except where noted.

* +2 Charisma, males have -2 wisdom, females have -2 intelligence.
* Darkvision out to 120 feet. This trait replaces the high elf’s low-light vision.
* +2 bonus on all saving throws.
* Weapon Proficiency: A drow is automatically proficient with the hand crossbow, the rapier, and the short sword. This trait replaces the high elf’s weapon proficiency.
* Automatic Languages: Common, Elven, Undercommon. Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Aquan, Draconic, Drow Sign Language, Gnome, Goblin. This trait replaces the high elf’s automatic and bonus languages.
* Light Blindness: Abrupt exposure to bright light (such as sunlight or a daylight spell) blinds drow for 1 round. On subsequent rounds, they are dazzled as long as they remain in the affected area.
* Favored Class: Wizard (male) or cleric (female). This trait replaces the high elf’s favored class.
* Level adjustment +0.

----------------

So tell me, is this balanced or not.

Threeshades
2007-04-16, 01:27 PM
Fluff: same as standard drow.

Drow Traits (Ex)

These traits are in addition to the high elf traits, except where noted.

* +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma.
* Darkvision out to 120 feet. This trait replaces the high elf’s low-light vision.
* Spell resistance equal to 5 + class levels.
* Weapon Proficiency: A drow is automatically proficient with the hand crossbow, the rapier, and the short sword. This trait replaces the high elf’s weapon proficiency.
* Automatic Languages: Common, Elven, Undercommon. Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Aquan, Draconic, Drow Sign Language, Gnome, Goblin. This trait replaces the high elf’s automatic and bonus languages.
* Light Blindness: Abrupt exposure to bright light (such as sunlight or a daylight spell) blinds drow for 1 round. On subsequent rounds, they are dazzled as long as they remain in the affected area.
* Favored Class: Wizard (male) or cleric (female). This trait replaces the high elf’s favored class.
* Level adjustment +0.

----------------

So tell me, is this balanced or not.

There are drow player race stats. You can find them everywhere (Faerūn campaign setting, MM and DMG, im sure theyre also in the eberron setting and many others)

And btw: Drow also have an own spoken language.

Squatting_Monk
2007-04-16, 01:27 PM
Definitely not. They're uber-elves in this case, since they retain their net ability bonus of +4 and have spell resistance to boot (even if you have nerfed it). Drow as they were had a level adjustment of +2, which they had a hard time earning, but they would have been very powerful as a +1 LA race. Halving the SR they get at level 1 hardly does anything to merit the reduction of the LA to 0.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-04-16, 01:32 PM
Short answer, no.
Long answer, you can't have positive ability scores without matching them to negative one.
Simple Balance:
Str or Dex bonus balances with 1 physical penalty or 2 mental penalties.
Con bonus balances with any penalty
Int, Cha, or Wis bonus balances with 1 mental penalty.

Also, SR 5 + HD is pretty breaking on a LA 0 race;
One of the reasons it was on the Drow as a LA 2 race was that, besides the quality of the ability, LA 2 prevents the ability from getting too high too early.

Consider choosing 1 bonus to Int or Cha (I'd choose Cha) and adding a penalty to Wis.
SR needs to be either removed, replaced with a lesser ability, or toned down to 5 + 1/2 HD.
(Remember that they'd already have Elf abilities.)

InaVegt
2007-04-16, 01:40 PM
A SR of 5 + character level is largely ineffective, as a spellcaster rolls 10.5 + caster level on average, only in 20% of the time would it have any effect, assuming the spellcaster has no feats like spell penetration.

Though I did misread the +2 cha as -2 cha.

How about I change the bonus to int into a penalty to wis and change the spell resistance to a flat +2 bonus on saving throws?

Fax Celestis
2007-04-16, 01:42 PM
That'd be better.

jjpickar
2007-04-16, 01:53 PM
How about -2 wisdom for males (They're wizards after all they don't have to be wise just smart) and -2 int for females (what intelligent being would become a cleric of a goddess that doesn't think twice about smooshing her most devoted followers just because its fun anyway?).

InaVegt
2007-04-16, 01:57 PM
How about -2 wisdom for males (They're wizards after all they don't have to be wise just smart) and -2 int for females (what intelligent being would become a cleric of a goddess that doesn't think twice about smooshing her most devoted followers just because its fun anyway?).

I like that idea.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-04-16, 05:04 PM
Hmm...it defies one of the D20 sacred cows: No difference between Males and Females (and it would be hard to say why males/females would be biologically denser/dumber than their counterparts) but I think it would fit into the "Females are priests and leaders" theme of the society.

As for the "who would become a cleric of Llolth" thing, if she smashes her followers, what does she do to those who refuse to follow her? Besides, power is power and evil people eat it up like candy.

EvilElitest
2007-04-16, 05:07 PM
So, did you make these for you own amusment or did you do it because you didn't like the already existing drow stats?
from,
EE

Woot Spitum
2007-04-16, 05:31 PM
Hmm...it defies one of the D20 sacred cows: No difference between Males and Females (and it would be hard to say why males/females would be biologically denser/dumber than their counterparts) but I think it would fit into the "Females are priests and leaders" theme of the society.

As for the "who would become a cleric of Llolth" thing, if she smashes her followers, what does she do to those who refuse to follow her? Besides, power is power and evil people eat it up like candy.

On the other hand, we need a a mental stat penalty other than charisma that doesn't nerf anyone's primary casting stat. And they already have different favored classes. Add in the fact that Drow clerics are supposed to be obedient rather than thinkers, while Drow wizards are supposed to be smart, yet submissive and I think it fits well flavor-wise.

InaVegt
2007-04-17, 05:31 AM
So, did you make these for you own amusment or did you do it because you didn't like the already existing drow stats?
from,
EE

I did it because I'm planning on an evil campaign featuring lots of traditionally evil races, but I don't want to gimp my players with LA.

Tor the Fallen
2007-04-17, 05:51 AM
Heh heh, drow males lack common sense and their females are dumb.

EvilElitest
2007-04-17, 06:23 AM
I did it because I'm planning on an evil campaign featuring lots of traditionally evil races, but I don't want to gimp my players with LA.

Makes sesnse is surrpose
from,
EE

XtheYeti
2007-04-17, 07:08 AM
I like it but what about there dex, drow are suposed to be lithe and nimble.

InaVegt
2007-04-17, 07:31 AM
I like it but what about there dex, drow are suposed to be lithe and nimble.

That's covered in using elf as a base.

XtheYeti
2007-04-17, 11:51 AM
That's covered in using elf as a base.
oh, ok i like it then...why do i always miss things when i read?

Caelestion
2007-04-19, 06:21 AM
Light blindness does not equal +2 to all saves, especially when you're considering amending the Elf, one of the most powerful LA +0 races as it is. Just drop the saving throw bonus and you'll be fine.

Triaxx
2007-04-19, 10:30 AM
I remember first hearing about the Playable race stats for Drow. I cut my players off at the pass, by informing them I counted all Drow as evil and hostile. One of them mentioned Drizzt, and I informed him he was going to make a lot of Critical misses if he kept that up.

But I like this. I'd say only +1 to saves, and perhaps sorceror should be the favored class, instead of Wizard. They are bred with magic in their veins, particularly counting the innate abilities.