PDA

View Full Version : What can tinker gnomes make?

Fralex
2015-04-23, 01:57 PM
The rock gnomes' Tinker ability is interesting. The book only lists three devices you can build with it, but it seems fair to assume other ones are possible as long as they don't do anything none of the three examples are capable of. So I'll break down the three example devices into their basic qualities, then see how they can be rearranged.

Clockwork Toy
(1)-Device will be active as long as some pressure is applied to a certain part of it (such as the bottom of the toy, making it run when placed on the ground)
(½)-Device will make noises similar to a certain creature (not close enough to fool anyone, probably)
(1)-Device will move 5 feet each round
(½)-Device will take a turn each round (I assume since it can be set to turn in a random direction, it can also be set to always turn itself a set amount if desired)

Fire Starter
(1)-Device will activate when a trigger or button is pressed and run for a couple seconds (the book just says it takes an action to activate, but this sounds about right)
(2)-Device will emit a tiny flame capable of starting a fire

Music Box
(1)-Device will activate or deactivate when some kind of switch is toggled (like the lid of a box)
(1)-Device will play a sequence of notes (presumably a song in something like a music box can't be more than 30 seconds in length, though with some carefully placed gears they wouldn't necessarily need to be 30 consecutive seconds)
(1)-Device will deactivate automatically after a certain length of time

I've given each characteristic a number representing how much of the device's construction I imagine it would take up. They all must add up to 3 or less to be craftable with 10 gp and 1 hour of work. So, for example, you could make a clockwork toy bird that, when placed on the ground, plays a tune while hopping in place, turning in a circle. Or you could build a tiny pad that, when stepped on, attempted to set fire to whatever was on it (probably wouldn't cause any damage unless something really flammable was put on it). If you wanted to make a clockwork dragon that moved 5 feet forward each round and shot a tiny jet of flame from its mouth, that would take 2 hours and 20 gp. It seems weird to think that no more than three devices can be active at a time, but that sounds like a good rule for how many devices can be combined into one device (i.e. the qualities can't add up to more than 9).

Does anybody have any other ideas for using the Tinker ability? Or things they've done with it?

Falcon X
2015-04-23, 02:20 PM
In general, the gnome in my group has used it to be just generally good with mechanics and identifying things.

For example, the Paladin found a device in a cave, but didn't know what it was for. So, he showed it to the gnome. The gnome, felt it, shook it a little, then popped it in his mouth and said:
"It is made to go in the mouth. It's simple mechanics don't seem to benefit you in any way, so I will assume it's magical. Likely a water breathing device or a air filtration device based on it's placement in the mouth, though it's possible it could be a breath weapon of some sort."
It was, indeed, a magical item that bestowed water breathing, which was obvious from the location in which they found it.

JAL_1138
2015-04-23, 03:04 PM
Rock gnomes can make small interesting things that work. Tinker gnomes can make overcomplicated, nonsensical, ill-considered, insane contraptions that either fail, fail spectacularly, do something completely different than intended that is usually either pointless or lethal to the user, do something pointless in the most ludicrously Rube Goldbergian way possible, outright explode--or, much much much worse, if they're not on Krynn, e.g., in Spelljammer, actually function to some degree.

Fralex
2015-04-23, 03:07 PM
Ah, right. They also have Artificer's Lore. I'm interested to see when that comes up.

Actually, I'm starting to think I'm being too detailed with this. 5e-type rules would probably be something more general, like "You can make other similar devices at your DM's discretion, but they should be no more powerful than the ones listed here." I guess the mechanics I drew up could work as a sort of starting point for what you're making, but not the only things it might be capable of. Maybe you could make a wind-up toy that climbs up walls if you make that trait twice as big as just normal walking, or perhaps after getting a specific item not part of your regular resources.

Spojaz
2015-04-23, 04:25 PM
My rock gnome wizard has had some fun with the placing spell glyph of warding on the music box to activate when it is broken or the song ends. This can be used to remotely cast a spell of her choice.

EvanescentHero
2015-04-23, 07:44 PM
My personal favorite, which I absolutely need to use sometime: http://www.lomion.de/cmm/autognom.php

Fralex
2015-04-23, 08:59 PM
My rock gnome wizard has had some fun with the placing spell glyph of warding on the music box to activate when it is broken or the song ends. This can be used to remotely cast a spell of her choice.

Ooh, that's a really clever idea! For some reason I'm picturing a jack-in-the-box that explodes on the last verse of "Pop Goes the Weasel." That's gotta be something the Joker has done at some point...

Camman1984
2015-04-24, 02:14 AM
How about a clockwork device the walks forward releasing smoke for cover, or showers of pine needles for woodelves to hide in?

JAL_1138
2015-04-24, 07:43 AM
How about a clockwork device the walks forward releasing smoke for cover, or showers of pine needles for woodelves to hide in?

If this were a tinker gnome, here's how that thought process would go.

"Ok, I want it to make smoke. Sulphur, saltpetre, charcoal make a powder that smokes a lot, so I'll use that..and a lot of it! The smoke chamber needs to be made out of something sturdy, like...like a piece of iron pipe, maybe. Only need one hole, the hole for the fuse can let the smoke out too...Hm....I'm out of pine needles...I bet regular needles would work...I need to save some space, so I'll have to put the smoke chamber in the needle-hopper...yeah, that should do it...now to set the gears so it always stays close to one of us, so we can use it to hide even when we're moving around..."

End result, a Bob-omb packed with needle-shrapnel that chases the party after the fuse is lit. Or, if the needle-scattering feature is being used, turns the elf into a pincushion.

Camman1984
2015-04-26, 02:07 AM
You could also make what my gnome wizard made. A wind up music box that played "mary had a little lamb" and graft it into the body of your favourite zombie minion.

Said zombie had several mechanical parts but this was the one that made my gm question my alignment.

JAL_1138
2015-04-26, 08:49 AM
Fun idea from the DM side: If a gnomish character makes a music box, absolutely everyone (regardless of race, background, and even PC or NPC status) seems to vaguely remember the tune from somewhere, but can't seem to place it...

Fralex
2015-04-26, 04:00 PM
Fun idea from the DM side: If a gnomish character makes a music box, absolutely everyone (regardless of race, background, and even PC or NPC status) seems to vaguely remember the tune from somewhere, but can't seem to place it...

It's probably this one:
♪ C C-C C-C-C-Am Am-Am Am-Am-Am-F F-F F-F-F-G7 G7-G7 G7-G7-G7 ♪

Mandrake
2015-04-26, 04:20 PM
It's probably this one:
♪ C C-C C-C-C-Am Am-Am Am-Am-Am-F F-F F-F-F-G7 G7-G7 G7-G7-G7 ♪

No Perform skills, please explain or link :smallsmile:

Fralex
2015-04-26, 06:52 PM
No Perform skills, please explain or link :smallsmile:

Oh, sorry, I thought I had put a link in it. That was the tune to "Those Magic Changes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Those_Magic_Changes)," a song from the musical Grease about how weirdly familiar those four chords feel.

Interestingly, the "50's Progression (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50s_progression)" of C, A-minor, F, and G-seven appears in tons of Western pop music over and over again. Something about those notes is just really compelling. If you want to write a hit song, just use those four chords (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I)!