PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Dragon Breath Weapon

Garagos
2015-04-23, 03:02 PM
Hi all,

Just curious about the breath weapons for Crystal Dragons, found in MMII. It says their breath consists of bright light that deals damage and has a chance to blind temporarily. What I'm curious about is if anyone knows if this light does extra damage to undead (and even more to vampires), similar to how spells like sunbeam and sunburst work? It makes sense to me that it would, but I can't find anything to support that theory.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-04-23, 03:10 PM
It does what it says in the description. Undead are no more vulnerable to the light of a Crystal Dragon's breath weapon than anyone else.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-04-23, 03:14 PM
Such creatures are vulnerable to sunlight, not light in general. Spells like Searing Light and Sunbeam mimic sunlight, whereas the crystal dragon's breath weapon is a generic light effect.

DMfromTheAbyss
2015-04-23, 03:17 PM
My own Monster manual confirms that the breath weapon is indeed cone of glowing shards. But does not specify that it does any additional damage to undead. As the spells you mentioned specify that they do, I'd say that you are out of luck RAW, similarly RAI the glowing shards are light, but not sunlight, purifying light or anything of the sort, the damage indeed can be thought of as from the shards (though they have a chance of blinding I believe ) so think of it more as a visual dazzling display of lethal crystaline shards than a "Radiant damage" attack.

Though depending on DM YMMV