PDA

View Full Version : Tech Help Is it possible to get data off of a broken SD card?

Durkoala
2015-04-23, 05:04 PM
I recently broke the SD card for my camera by using it for twelve years. This is a slight problem because there's a few photos that I hadn't backed up and right now they're out of reach. I've been thinking about seeing if a tech shop could fix it, but I don't know if this is possible.

The Card's casing has given up: a bit of it has broken off completely and the rest is coming apart. It worked fine until it was transferred from camera to computer and broke, so I'm hopeful that the data is still intact. It doesn't show up when inserted into device, which is a bit more worrying. What do you good people say?

Douglas
2015-04-23, 05:19 PM
The data is most likely still there and intact, but may require expensive specialized machinery to read. Exactly what it will take to get that data will vary depending on the precise nature and extent of the damage, which isn't feasible to assess from non-professional descriptions over the Internet.

How much are these photos worth to you? Companies that offer data recovery service for damaged hardware typically charge over $100 for it, minimum. On the other hand, those companies are equipped to handle damage a great deal worse than what you described, so you might be able to find a cheaper but less capable company that will work for you.

SalmaHayek
2015-10-14, 11:08 PM
The data is most likely still there and intact, but may require expensive specialized machinery to read. Exactly what it will take to get that data will vary depending on the precise nature and extent of the damage, which isn't feasible to assess from non-professional descriptions over the Internet.

How much are these photos worth to you? Companies that offer data recovery service for damaged hardware typically charge over $100 for it, minimum. On the other hand, those companies are equipped to handle damage a great deal worse than what you described, so you might be able to find a cheaper but less capable company that will work for you.
You are right. Data recovery service is exexpensive.