PDA

View Full Version : What does "highest base attack bonus" refer to?

Windrammer
2015-04-23, 05:25 PM
Referring to the Melee Evasion feat, specifically. Does it mean the highest out of, like, 12/7/2? It seems like a strange thing to say for something that occurs out of turn. Is there any chance this actually means adding a modified attack bonus (strength and such)?

Karl Aegis
2015-04-23, 05:42 PM
What book is this from? For reference purposes.

Jeraa
2015-04-23, 05:53 PM
Referring to the Melee Evasion feat, specifically. Does it mean the highest out of, like, 12/7/2? It seems like a strange thing to say for something that occurs out of turn. Is there any chance this actually means adding a modified attack bonus (strength and such)?

It means exactly what it says - your highest base attack bonus. If it meant your total attack bonus, it would of said that. So if you were a 12th level Fighter (BAB of +12/+7/+2), your highest BAB would be +12.

What book is this from? For reference purposes.

Player's Handbook 2

A_S
2015-04-23, 05:54 PM
The feat is from PHB2.

Reading it over, the only thing I can think of is what you've already said, that it's referring to your BAB for your first iterative attack. But you're right that it's worded oddly; that number is referred to elsewhere in the rules as just "base attack bonus" with none of this "highest" nonsense. I'm guessing the person writing the feat just didn't really know the terminology. As usual.

Jeraa
2015-04-23, 05:58 PM
The feat is from PHB2.

Reading it over, the only thing I can think of is what you've already said, that it's referring to your BAB for your first iterative attack. But you're right that it's worded oddly; that number is referred to elsewhere in the rules as just "base attack bonus" with none of this "highest" nonsense. I'm guessing the person writing the feat just didn't really know the terminology. As usual.

Rapid Shot says "highest base attack bonus".
Whirlwind Attack says "full base attack bonus".

Melee Evasion uses the same terminology that is used in the Player's Handbook.