PDA

View Full Version : Can I cast orb of fire and "not" throw it?

With a box
2015-04-23, 06:29 PM
I really want to have a orb or fire (and force) on my bookshelf :smallsmile:

Troacctid
2015-04-23, 06:31 PM
Given that it would light your bookcase on fire, that seems like a bad idea. :smallcool:

Psyren
2015-04-23, 06:46 PM
It "shoots from your palm" as part of the effect, so no, there is no option to hold onto it.

Gnome Alone
2015-04-23, 07:19 PM
What if you shot it within a Forcecage or something like that? Or, I don't know, created some kind of half-phased-in demi-plane with 1/10 billionth speed time? There must be some kind of shennanigans the would-be wizardly lunatic interior decorator could employ.

EDIT: Simplest fix would probably be Permanent Image of an Orb of Fire on the bookshelf, then murder any visitors who have True Seeing.

Troacctid
2015-04-23, 07:39 PM
There must be some kind of shennanigans the would-be wizardly lunatic interior decorator could employ.

Oh, it's easy enough: just craft it into a wondrous item. Since it's strictly cosmetic, it shouldn't be very expensive.

chaos_redefined
2015-04-23, 07:43 PM
Wait 4 more levels, cast Permanent Image, have an illusory Orb of Fire sitting on your bookshelf.

OracleofWuffing
2015-04-23, 07:54 PM
Given that it would light your bookcase on fire, that seems like a bad idea. :smallcool:
Would it, though? I mean, setting aside the concept of an asbestos bookcase, I don't think Orb of Fire specifically sets things on fire. But then again, it's actually nonmagical once conjured, so it should... But then again again, it functions like an Orb of Acid, and... ARGH! :smallbiggrin:

Barbarian Horde
2015-04-24, 12:13 AM
Shadow Conjuration it with gnome make it 120% real.

Pilo
2015-04-24, 04:13 AM
You can still pick it up after throwing it (it is how conjuration spells works).

lytokk
2015-04-24, 09:12 AM
Why not get a crystal ball and have continual flame cast on it?

Tvtyrant
2015-04-24, 12:56 PM
You can still pick it up after throwing it (it is how conjuration spells works).
Yeah this. Have someone snatch it out of the air and hand it back to you.

Zweisteine
2015-04-24, 05:12 PM
EDIT: Simplest fix would probably be Permanent Image of an Orb of Fire on the bookshelf, then murder any visitors who have True Seeing.
No need for murder! Just cast one permanent image for normal people to see, and one invisible permanent image for the visitors with true seeing!

Werephilosopher
2015-04-24, 06:27 PM
Just research another version of the spell that conjures a ball of fire that is harmless until thrown.

Bayar
2015-04-25, 07:26 AM
Just research another version of the spell that conjures a ball of fire that is harmless until thrown.

That path will inevitably lead to abuse.

Werephilosopher
2015-04-25, 11:45 AM
That path will inevitably lead to abuse.

Add in a clause that says a mage can only have one orb of fire in existence at a time, and casting the spell while you have one causes it to disappear. And make it require actual throwing to make it do damage, so you can't just put a bunch in a sack like flasks of alchemist's fire and drop them on the enemy.

Chronos
2015-04-25, 12:17 PM
An orb of fire will act like ordinary nonmagical fire after it's cast, which means that it'll quickly burn out without fuel (and with fuel, what you have on your bookshelf would just be a torch).

Orbs of force, however, can be picked up after battle and re-used, because force is remarkably durable.

Inevitability
2015-04-25, 01:49 PM
How about casting a Divine Metamagic'ed Persisted Ocular Delayed Blast Fireball to create a pea-sized sphere of fire that lasts for 24 hours? Recast it every day, or have a trap do so.

Minor problems:

1. After 24 hours, the sphere goes boom.
2. If anyone touches it, the sphere goes boom.

Aegis013
2015-04-25, 04:33 PM
Fire it into a gooey blob of Quintessence (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Quintessence).

Milodiah
2015-04-25, 04:40 PM
How about casting a Divine Metamagic'ed Persisted Ocular Delayed Blast Fireball to create a pea-sized sphere of fire that lasts for 24 hours? Recast it every day, or have a trap do so.

Minor problems:

1. After 24 hours, the sphere goes boom.
2. If anyone touches it, the sphere goes boom.

I at first thought that string of modifiers was satirical, but quickly realized it was not.

Oh, 3.5e, how I love your insanity.

atemu1234
2015-04-25, 09:41 PM
Fire it into a gooey blob of Quintessence (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Quintessence).

I like the way you think.

tyckspoon
2015-04-25, 11:17 PM
An orb of fire will act like ordinary nonmagical fire after it's cast, which means that it'll quickly burn out without fuel (and with fuel, what you have on your bookshelf would just be a torch).

Orbs of force, however, can be picked up after battle and re-used, because force is remarkably durable.

Nah, it'll behave like an ordinary blob of burny acid (see also 'Works like Orb of Acid except...') so all you really need is to find some way to put it into a container that can handle holding a ball of nonmagical fireacid. Some sort of alchemically treated glass, perhaps. (And then you're like halfway to making a lava lamp.)

mabriss lethe
2015-04-26, 12:02 AM
I'm seconding the Quintessence, though I'm sad someone got to it before me.

Gnome Alone
2015-04-26, 10:49 PM
No need for murder! Just cast one permanent image for normal people to see, and one invisible permanent image for the visitors with true seeing!

Well sure, there's no need for murder.....