PDA

View Full Version : Magic Items Under 2000 GP's

nyjastul69
2015-04-23, 07:36 PM
My DM has awarded our party with a minor magic item worth less than 2000 gp's. As she is a fairly new DM she asked for some suggestions. I intend to help her. :) I've limited my search to nonexpendable items. Although, partially charged wands are on the table. I'm all set with those. Weapon and armor crystals are a no go.

From the SRD and MIC I've come up with these so far.

Goggles of Minute Seeing SRD 1250
Cloak of Elemental Protection MIC 87 1000
Anklet of Translocation MIC 71 1400
Hat of Disguise SRD 1800
Pipes of Sounding SRD 1800
Quiver of Ehlonna SRD 1800
Memento Magical MIC 1500
Spool of Endless Rope MIC 1400
Sending Stones MIC 1400
Efficient Quiver SRD 1800

The party composition is as follows. All are 6th level.

Human Druid (dire bat AC)
Human Paladin (deity unknown)
Elf Rogue
Halfling Sorcerer (no famiar, ACF instead)

This is a 3.5 D&D game.

lagninja
2015-04-23, 08:44 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook)

This thread should be of some use, as well as the two linked in it, though a good number of them are single or limited use items.

Flickerdart
2015-04-23, 09:25 PM
For cheap magic items, the Healing Belt (750gp), Eternal Wands, and the Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker (500gp?) are staples of a low level character's repertoire.

Barbarian Horde
2015-04-24, 12:04 AM
You should get 200 Eggshell Gernades

Other Options
Unicorn Horn
Tooth of Savnok
Heward's Handy Haversack
Anklet of Translocation
Wand of Cure Light Wounds
Cloak of Elemental Protection
Pulled this from Bunko's Bargain Basement
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/newreply.php?p=19157000&noquote=1

Cycle through the Magic Item Compendium

Lorddenorstrus
2015-04-24, 12:57 AM
I 2nd the Healing Belt, absolutely amazing oh frak I need HP or I might die thing. It's an extraordinary item for it's cost. I can't not buy it on low level melee characters.

Surpriser
2015-04-24, 04:33 AM
Artificer's Monocle - helps both the whole group and the DM and reduces bookkeeping (No more "Unidentified Magic Sword (flame design on blade)" in the inventory)

SinsI
2015-04-24, 04:50 AM
Get yourself custom unlimited use Cure Minor Wounds item. IIRC, for 700 gold you get to restore everyone in your party to full points after every encounter.

pi4t
2015-04-24, 02:01 PM
It's third party, and pathfinder, but you GM might find this line of publications (http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/s/superGeniusGames/pathfinderRPG/geniusGuides/loot4Less) useful.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-04-24, 02:08 PM
Cloak of Resistance +1 (1000 gp) isn't amazing, but if someone in your party is whiffing saves a lot it can help.

Flickerdart
2015-04-24, 02:24 PM
Cloak of Resistance +1 (1000 gp) isn't amazing, but if someone in your party is whiffing saves a lot it can help.
At low levels when you're desperately trying to claw your way to something more than just "d20 plus pittance" even a +1 is very useful, and I'd say it's probably even more useful than at high levels when target numbers hugely diverge, and sources of bonuses become more plentiful.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-04-24, 02:36 PM
At low levels when you're desperately trying to claw your way to something more than just "d20 plus pittance" even a +1 is very useful, and I'd say it's probably even more useful than at high levels when target numbers hugely diverge, and sources of bonuses become more plentiful.

I find the +2 and greater are very solid items. I always try to snag the +1 since you only need it to work once to pay for itself. It just isn't as generically useful in this case since there will only be one for a full party.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-04-24, 02:38 PM
Chronocharm of the Uncaring Archmage (MIC 500g) - 1/day cast as spell of 3rd level or lower as if it had Rapid Spell applied - this is great for druid summoning since it doesn't run into the limits Rapid Spell usually has with spontaneous spells.

Holy Symbol of Nature's Children (CC, 350gp) +1Cl on spells that aid, protect, speak with, or summon animals. Druids like this, especially at low levels.

Travel Cloak (MoF, 1200gp) Provides trail rations 3/day, a flask that produces up to 2 gallons of cool water or sugared hot tea per day, endure elements against cold, and can be transformed into a one-person tent 1/day. Obviously only useful if your group keeps track of that kind of thing.

Gauntlets of Extended Range (MiC, 2000gp) double range increments of thrown weapons. Useful for the right build, useless otherwise.

Ring of the Darkhidden (MIC, 2000gp) Invisible to Darkvision. Combine it with some way to create darkness (and some way to see in it). Useful for anyone because near-constant Greater Invisibility is great, especially for that price.

Darklight (500g, Secrets of Sarlona) Increases or decreases ambient light. Needs PP to fuel so combine it with a Manifester Shuriken if you have none. Obviously combines well with the ring above.

Ring of Silent Spells (MIC, 2000gp): swift Silence 1/day, cast three 3rd level spells as silent in the duration. Useful for anyone who expects to get close to casters, but especially gishes.

Steadfast Boots (MiC, 1400 gp) +4 bonus to avoid bull rush, trip, or overrun attacks. Any two-handed weapon you carry is treated as if readied against any creature that charges you. A free, double-damage attack against anyone who charges you. Great for the price.

Vestment of Many Styles (RoE, 500gp) Change into any outfit desired. Fantastic for those games with lots of social interaction. Also great for anyone who changes shape, infiltration and disguises that aren't illusions.

Dispelling Chord (MIC, 1000GP) +2 to dispel checks 5/day. Everyone who has Dispel Magic should get this. It's more or less a 10% increased chance of success.

Possum Pouch (CAdv, 1800gp) Hidden bag that needs a DC30 search check to find. Use it to store a spare weapon, sensitive quest items, your set of masterwork lockpicks or anything illegal like poison. Great if your DM likes situations where you get your stuff taken away.

Scrying Shard (MIC, 1350gp) Scrying Focus for any class. Makes using the spell a whole lot more convenient.

nyjastul69
2015-04-24, 07:09 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions. This will help me a great deal. I was originally trying to keep the item in the range of 1000-1900 gp's. I think I was mistaken. There are some good suggestions at under 1000 for our party. I'll start digging through the suggestions and compile a list for my DM

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook)

This thread should be of some use, as well as the two linked in it, though a good number of them are single or limited use items.

Thanks, I'm stunned I forgot to look there. I've actually linked to that thread before. :/

For cheap magic items, the Healing Belt (750gp), Eternal Wands, and the Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker (500gp?) are staples of a low level character's repertoire.

Healing belts we have. I'm the druid and responsible for the primary healing. I strongly suggested them to the rest of the group. I forgot about eternal wands though, thanks.

You should get 200 Eggshell Gernades

Other Options
Unicorn Horn
Tooth of Savnok
Heward's Handy Haversack
Anklet of Translocation
Wand of Cure Light Wounds
Cloak of Elemental Protection
Pulled this from Bunko's Bargain Basement
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/newreply.php?p=19157000&noquote=1

Cycle through the Magic Item Compendium

I actually did cycle through the MIC. I think I wasn't considering the 500-1000 gp's items as strong contenders however. I have a HHH, sorry for not listing the items I posses. I don't know what the others did with their WBL though. The anklet of translocation is a strong candidate.

I 2nd the Healing Belt, absolutely amazing oh frak I need HP or I might die thing. It's an extraordinary item for it's cost. I can't not buy it on low level melee characters.

Agreed. There are at least 2 in our party.

Artificer's Monocle - helps both the whole group and the DM and reduces bookkeeping (No more "Unidentified Magic Sword (flame design on blade)" in the inventory)

Unfortunately we don't have an artificer. You do have to be an artificer to use one correct?

Get yourself custom unlimited use Cure Minor Wounds item. IIRC, for 700 gold you get to restore everyone in your party to full points after every encounter.

No custom items for us.

It's third party, and pathfinder, but you GM might find this line of publications (http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/s/superGeniusGames/pathfinderRPG/geniusGuides/loot4Less) useful.

Unfortunately 3.5 WotC material only.

I dismissed this item at first. I think I should reconsider.

Chronocharm of the Uncaring Archmage (MIC 500g) - 1/day cast as spell of 3rd level or lower as if it had Rapid Spell applied - this is great for druid summoning since it doesn't run into the limits Rapid Spell usually has with spontaneous spells.

Holy Symbol of Nature's Children (CC, 350gp) +1Cl on spells that aid, protect, speak with, or summon animals. Druids like this, especially at low levels.

Travel Cloak (MoF, 1200gp) Provides trail rations 3/day, a flask that produces up to 2 gallons of cool water or sugared hot tea per day, endure elements against cold, and can be transformed into a one-person tent 1/day. Obviously only useful if your group keeps track of that kind of thing.

Gauntlets of Extended Range (MiC, 2000gp) double range increments of thrown weapons. Useful for the right build, useless otherwise.

Ring of the Darkhidden (MIC, 2000gp) Invisible to Darkvision. Combine it with some way to create darkness (and some way to see in it). Useful for anyone because near-constant Greater Invisibility is great, especially for that price.

Darklight (500g, Secrets of Sarlona) Increases or decreases ambient light. Needs PP to fuel so combine it with a Manifester Shuriken if you have none. Obviously combines well with the ring above.

Ring of Silent Spells (MIC, 2000gp): swift Silence 1/day, cast three 3rd level spells as silent in the duration. Useful for anyone who expects to get close to casters, but especially gishes.

Steadfast Boots (MiC, 1400 gp) +4 bonus to avoid bull rush, trip, or overrun attacks. Any two-handed weapon you carry is treated as if readied against any creature that charges you. A free, double-damage attack against anyone who charges you. Great for the price.

Vestment of Many Styles (RoE, 500gp) Change into any outfit desired. Fantastic for those games with lots of social interaction. Also great for anyone who changes shape, infiltration and disguises that aren't illusions.

Dispelling Chord (MIC, 1000GP) +2 to dispel checks 5/day. Everyone who has Dispel Magic should get this. It's more or less a 10% increased chance of success.

Possum Pouch (CAdv, 1800gp) Hidden bag that needs a DC30 search check to find. Use it to store a spare weapon, sensitive quest items, your set of masterwork lockpicks or anything illegal like poison. Great if your DM likes situations where you get your stuff taken away.

Scrying Shard (MIC, 1350gp) Scrying Focus for any class. Makes using the spell a whole lot more convenient.

I'm playing the druid and I actually have a CCotUA. I'll look into the others.

Story
2015-04-24, 11:03 PM
You do have to be an artificer to use one correct?

Nope, anyone who can cast Detect Magic can use it.

nyjastul69
2015-04-25, 12:35 AM
Nope, anyone who can cast Detect Magic can use it.

Wow! Did I parse the language incorrectly, or what! I read that item as 'artificer can use class ability to blah blah. You (as the artificer) can also use DM to do it as well'. I'm reeling in my misinterpretation here. Thanks. Don't know how that bit slipped past me. It's pretty clear actually. I just read through a certain element. :(

Thurbane
2015-04-26, 05:02 PM

I like Vest of Resistance +1: does the same thing, but leaves your Shoulders slot open (the Torso slot is used less frequently than Shoulders).

ZamielVanWeber
2015-04-26, 05:19 PM
I like Vest of Resistance +1: does the same thing, but leaves your Shoulders slot open (the Torso slot is used less frequently than Shoulders).

What is that from? My sorcerer would love it.

Thurbane
2015-04-26, 05:24 PM
What is that from? My sorcerer would love it.

Magic Item Compendium, page 147.

Jowgen
2015-04-26, 05:50 PM
Talisman of the Disk. 500 gp for a whole world of utility. I've written a handbook on it even, which you can find in my signature :smallsmile: