PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed How to trap a spellbook so that it automatically teleports back to you?

Kraken
2015-04-24, 12:55 AM
Complete Arcane has various abilities to ward your spellbook on pages 140-141. One of the abilities it mentions is the ability to place spells as traps on it: "any spell appropriate for a trap may be used." The price is simply that of the trap. The problem is that I'm not clear on how teleporting (and possibly plane shifting) an item to a moving location is possible. Essentially, what is the cheapest combination of spells that I could use to trap my spellbook so that it pops back into my handy haversack (or whatever) if it gets more than 10' from me, or somehow gets whisked to another plane by a plane shifting bandit?

Psyren
2015-04-24, 01:01 AM
You can have the trap notify you, and you immediately crush your Instant Summons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/instantSummons.htm) gem.

Kraken
2015-04-24, 01:15 AM
Instant summons has the drawback of not working if another creature is in possession of the book. Mind blank would also probably block instant summons telling you about the possessor and their location.

chaos_redefined
2015-04-24, 01:20 AM
Complete Arcane has various abilities to ward your spellbook on pages 140-141. One of the abilities it mentions is the ability to place spells as traps on it: "any spell appropriate for a trap may be used." The price is simply that of the trap. The problem is that I'm not clear on how teleporting (and possibly plane shifting) an item to a moving location is possible. Essentially, what is the cheapest combination of spells that I could use to trap my spellbook so that it pops back into my handy haversack (or whatever) if it gets more than 10' from me, or somehow gets whisked to another plane by a plane shifting bandit?

Geas on anyone who reads the book with the quest "Return this spellbook to <your name here>." Not teleporting, but it still works.

Best part: If you accidentally trigger the trap yourself, you return the book to... yourself.

JoranShadeslayr
2015-04-24, 01:50 AM
contingent teleport object so that if the book is moved more than 10 ft from you it is teleported to your haversack.

Kraken
2015-04-24, 02:09 AM
Teleport object runs into the same problem as regular teleport: it's unclear to me if you can teleport an item to a moving location, such as a ship or a person. If there's precedent for that working, I believe a plane shift+greater teleport trap would be sufficient, though expensive.

JoranShadeslayr
2015-04-24, 02:59 AM
In that case a contingent disintegrate keyed to go off on anyone but you who picks it up. Even if they make their save they'll still take damage, and it's hard not to notice the guy with his hand in your backpack that just screamed "OW!". At which point you just blast him out of existence.

Mr Adventurer
2015-04-24, 03:43 AM
Could you do...
• Make it a magic item
• Make it an intelligent item
• Incarnate Construct
• Craft Contingent Spell?

Mr Adventurer
2015-04-24, 03:44 AM
Actually, just making it an intelligent item is not only super useful, but incredibly baller.

Bronk
2015-04-24, 07:32 AM
Well, you could build your spellbook into a shield and put the 'Called' property on it for 2000g (MIC), although that wouldn't help you with other planes.

Darrin
2015-04-24, 08:52 AM
Engrave your spellbook on a loadstone.

Inevitability
2015-04-24, 08:53 AM
Use Teleport Object to teleport it to your home base, where one of your followers UMD's some items of Scrying and Teleport Object to get it back to you. Alternatively, drop off your cohort there and have him do the scrying and teleporting.

Segev
2015-04-24, 08:58 AM
Get a cursed -2 sword and etch your spellbook onto its blade.

Kraken
2015-04-24, 08:11 PM
Some good suggestions so far. I'm less interested in hearing about traps to damage the thieves, unless they're exceptionally novel.

Deophaun
2015-04-24, 11:45 PM
Animate object + permanency + Craft Contingent Spell.

Mind blank would also probably block instant summons telling you about the possessor and their location.
Why? Neither the name of the possessor nor his location qualify as an emotion or thought, and instant summons is a Conjuration (Summoning) spell, not divination or mind affecting. So, on what basis would mind blank protect against it?

Orion_S
2015-04-25, 01:39 AM
Doesn't artificer have an infusion that returns the infused object back to you? If so ask your dm if you can craft a spell book with it so it comes back if it ever leaves your posession