PDA

View Full Version : AD&D 2nd Ed Immortality for a Druid?

Khatoblepas
2015-04-24, 05:04 AM
So I've got a character I'm particularily attached to in a game (a Selkie Druid), and I'd like to figure out how to attain the one thing he needs to be kicking around kicking ass for nature forever - Immortality.

Reincarnation is the obvious choice (and something I'd do normally given the chance), but if I reincarnated him, he'd more likely turn into an animal or a human or something and not a Selkie, which is a part of his character I'd like to keep consistent.

I've found ways to extend his natural life, such as Potions of Longevity (liable to backfire) and Tree Spirit (age 3 times as slow, but turn into a Treant when you die - not ideal), but nothing that really does the job of immortality. I don't believe druids get it by default, but they do get Eternal Youth, which is halfway there.

Are there any spells or items that would grant immortality without changing his form?

Lord Torath
2015-04-24, 07:27 AM
Endless Elixirs of Youth? They only youthen you by 1d4+1 years each, but there's no risk of the backlash associated with Potions of Longevity. Other than that, your only option is a custom magic item. Or possibly a wish. Very, very carefully worded. Maybe two wishes, the first to find out how to word the second to get what you want.

JadedDM
2015-04-24, 12:37 PM
A wish is good. If by any chance you are playing in Dragonlance, I'd also suggest trying to become a Blue Phoenix of Habbakuk. It's a prestige class (although I modified it as a kit for my own games) and you become immortal when you take it (ageless, you can still be killed, though--at first. You eventually do become immortal, though). Although you have to die first to obtain it.

LibraryOgre
2015-04-24, 01:36 PM
I'd argue that immortality isn't in keeping with druidic philosophy.

Now, the Phylactery of Long Years slows you down to 75% of your normal aging. Hitting 16th level druid means that age doesn't affect you until you die of. Combine those with Elixirs of Youth (which, at that point, you'll be able to brew yourself... though, I imagine, at a cost), and you'll live a long time.