PDA

View Full Version : Vampiric Lycanthropes?

Darkxarth
2007-04-16, 03:54 PM
I've read several times in the WotC boards that they aren't possible. Is this true? It's been months (if not over a year) since I've seen it last. It came up randomly in a number of threads, and I just happened to notice it.

If they are possible, ok, nevermind.

If they're not possible, why?

Lycanthropes are humanoids or giants who can transform themselves into animals.
"Vampire" is an acquired template that can be added to any humanoid or monstrous humanoid creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature).
Emphasis mine.

Am I missing something? Or did I just get some poor info on the WotC boards?

Thanks in advance.

-DX

Fax Celestis
2007-04-16, 03:57 PM
Whoever told you they can't is wrong. As long as the Lycanthrope template hits first, it's all good.

Assassinfox
2007-04-16, 03:57 PM
It IS allowed. It even says so on the WotC site.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20070323a

Darkxarth
2007-04-16, 04:01 PM
I must've just misread someone's post. Thanks for the clarification. :smallbiggrin: :smallwink:

Ramza00
2007-04-16, 04:02 PM
Someone has been watching too much underworld, or not enough (depends on your opinion)

As a player please don't combine the two, the LA is just insane.
As a NPC it isn't that bad, especially if you combine feral template to it also.

Inyssius Tor
2007-04-16, 04:13 PM
You're being overly literal. It's just as possible as a swashbuckler/ninja warforged. :smalltongue:

Krellen
2007-04-16, 04:24 PM
"Thou shalt not suffer an Abomination to live."

However, the fact we need this rule proves that they can happen. :smallbiggrin:

Mewtarthio
2007-04-16, 04:44 PM
It's impossible for a Vampire to become a Lycanthrope. However, nothing prevents a Lycanthrope from becoming a Vampire.

Darkxarth
2007-04-16, 05:05 PM
Someone has been watching too much underworld, or not enough (depends on your opinion)

As a player please don't combine the two, the LA is just insane.
As a NPC it isn't that bad, especially if you combine feral template to it also.

It's the BBEG of a whole campaign. I don't know how powerful he's going to turn out to be, but the sheer fact that he's a Were-Wolf and a Vampire should give my new-ish players just the right amount of shock and awe. Besides, one of them is a HUGE Underworld fan and I want to watch the look on his face when I describe the BBEG. :smallamused:

the_tick_rules
2007-04-16, 07:03 PM
i'm going to suck your blood, but only on full moons.

F.L.
2007-04-16, 07:06 PM
Worse would be a character who was a Half-Infernal Drow Werewolf Vampire. Takes sunlight damage equal to the number of photons hitting them. Just out of curiosity, what'd be the level advancement?

storybookknight
2007-04-16, 07:12 PM
Don't think you technically could do a half-fiend drow werewolf vampire... half-fiends are outsiders, which doesn't mesh well with most of the other templates.

Indon
2007-04-16, 07:18 PM
So you'd have to settle for planetouched, I guess.

F.L.
2007-04-16, 07:22 PM
Alas. Can't make the ultimate goth character for the sole purpose of playing it as the most cheerful character ever.

Darkxarth
2007-04-16, 07:23 PM
i'm going to suck your blood, but only on full moons.

Ah, but a Natural Lycanthrope has full control of his/her shifting powers. Thus, "I'm going to suck your blood, right now."

TheOtherMC
2007-04-16, 07:27 PM
NOONE HAS EVER SURVIVED A BITE FROM BOTH OUR SPECIES!!!

.....sorry....

Indon
2007-04-16, 07:32 PM
So, what would the best class for the planetouched (fiendish) drow werewolf vampire be? I'm thinking Druid.

F.L.
2007-04-16, 07:34 PM
I'd of thought bard, but I'm just a masochist.

Oh, duh, Aristocrat...

Indon
2007-04-16, 07:39 PM
Aristocrat vampire's a bit predictable though, isn't it?

Bard does sound pretty good. Maybe Elan's secretly a drow werewolf vampire...?

OOTS_Rules.
2007-04-16, 07:50 PM
It can't be an epic monk. AN epic monk is an outsider.

Assassinfox
2007-04-16, 07:52 PM
It can't be an epic monk. AN epic monk is an outsider.

Hmmmmm... so if we had a LE natural werebat drow who got bitten by a vampire before reaching level 20 of monk... :smalleek:

Mewtarthio
2007-04-16, 07:53 PM
Alas. Can't make the ultimate goth character for the sole purpose of playing it as the most cheerful character ever.

"My father was the King of Hell. I clawed my way out of my mother's womb into a society that feared and shunned me. Then I was bitten by a werewolf, and am constantly struggling against this new curse that threatens to overwhelm what little humanity I have left with feral, predatory instincts. Plus I'm a vampire now.

So I'm pretty used to depressing things, and I'm basically inured to sadness. Who wants some yummy tasty homemade +5 COOKIES OF SHINYNESS!"

Saint George
2007-04-16, 07:54 PM
A Vampire/Werewolf can turn into a Wolf, a Wolfman, a bat, mist, and then a wolf again. Spiffy.