PDA

View Full Version : above average damage output?

Theodred theOld
2015-04-24, 01:31 PM
The party(5th lvl) had made its way into the room where the huge pissed off magma elemental had been waiting. Many smaller fire and earth elementals gave us a decent fight before the big guy made his appearance. We rerolled initiative and I, the lowly druid, came in dead last. The other five members of the party (barbarian, paladin,sorcerer, soulknife,cleric) all attacked the big guy, who also managed to get off a decent attack on our barb. When my turn rolled around I looked at everyones positioning and smiled. I moved into position and proudly proclaimed "mass snake's swiftness". 3 out 7 potential attackers scored a critical and we piled up 283 points of damage and annihilated the beasty. 283 points from a 2nd level spell. Broken?

FocusWolf413
2015-04-24, 01:36 PM
No. Just good tactics.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-04-24, 01:38 PM
Elementals are immune to crits, so your damage would have dropped. Also if 7 attacks were dropped, 283/7 is an average of 40 per person, which means people had decent damage already (and 7 people [I assume 6 and an animal companion]) is sizable. Spells likes Snake's Swiftness scale well when there are that many people).

Troacctid
2015-04-24, 01:46 PM
You could have done the same thing by dazing the monster for a round and forcing it to skip its turn, except in that case every one of you would get a full round's worth of actions instead of a few of you getting a single attack.

Ilorin Lorati
2015-04-24, 01:46 PM
It was above average. It's hardly broken.

As said, good tactics.
Lucky rolls. You could do this again and have wasted a spell slot.

Theodred theOld
2015-04-24, 02:35 PM
Good call on elemental not take crit damage. Never occurred to any of us. Most importantly it never occured to the dm.