PDA

View Full Version : All damage types

j_spencer93
2015-04-24, 01:56 PM
I am basically asking this for a DM list i am making. I found an older thread that i didn't want to necro but I am pretty sure is incomplete. So what are all the damage types from any official 3.x source (including dragon and kalamar books)?

So far i have, ignore the bold parts, they are not important but simply me separating them into smaller groups. It is heavily based off of the formor post http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?150318-What-are-all-the-types-of-damage-in-DnD-D20:

normal types
blunt
piercing
slashing
ballistic (if allowed)

elements of magic
fire
sonic
acid
electricity
cold

Specialized nature damage
desiccation
Scalding
frostburn
Hellfire (demonic fire)
Celestial Lightning (a few Exalted spells, similar to frostburn and hellfire)

fundamental forces
positive
negative
force

Oddity
City
Backlash
Falling

faith or alignment
holy
unholy
profane
vile
divine
axiomatic
anarchic
sanctified
good

Special rules
Sanity damage
Taint
Ability damage
Turning damage (no damage is involved)

Really not trying to steal another's post, just trying to create a reference for myself to use and for my players. Also I am pretty sure there are some missing from the list...

Hiro Quester
2015-04-24, 02:28 PM
What about attacks that cause ability damage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#abilityDamage) (e.g. from poisons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#abilityDamage))?

Edit: also lethal vs. nonlethal damage

Further edit: The PHB also refers to" turning damage" done by clerics: Turning damage (the number of HD of undead cleric can turn)= 2d6 + cleric level + Charisma modifier.

j_spencer93
2015-04-24, 02:31 PM
eh i will throw those under special ones, but mainly was looking for named types of additive damage (hope that makes sense)

Wait isn't there city damage of something stupid like that?

Werephilosopher
2015-04-24, 02:48 PM
Wait isn't there city damage of something stupid like that?

Yes, from the City Magic feat.

j_spencer93
2015-04-24, 03:19 PM
well there was one i missed....kind of want to ask wtf is city damage?

ZamielVanWeber
2015-04-24, 03:23 PM
A damage type just like fire or force. Weird and rare though.

Jormengand
2015-04-24, 03:51 PM
Well, depends if you count untyped as a type, which it sorta actually is.

Heat and Scalding (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#heatDangers) are damage types caused by environmental dangers, and falling appears to be as well.

Lava damage is also different from fire because any resistance to fire causes immunity to lava.

Backlash (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/developingEpicSpells.htm) is a type of damage caused by epic spells that can't be prevented and destroys you utterly if it kills you, as well as making you harder to resurrect.

j_spencer93
2015-04-24, 04:30 PM
well i added those strange ones

Flickerdart
2015-04-24, 04:30 PM
Well, depends if you count untyped as a type, which it sorta actually is.
You can't count "untyped" as a type. That's literally what it means - this damage has no type.

Even if you did count untyped, all of those damage sources are untyped and not their own separate type.

Jormengand
2015-04-24, 04:38 PM
Even if you did count untyped, all of those damage sources are untyped and not their own separate type.

Well no, it specifically calls scalding and lava damage their own type. Heat and falling are more iffy, but backlash is specifically a type of damage (which cannot be prevented and disintegrate++s anyone it kills).

Flickerdart
2015-04-24, 04:43 PM
Well no, it specifically calls scalding and lava damage their own type. Heat and falling are more iffy, but backlash is specifically a type of damage (which cannot be prevented and disintegrate++s anyone it kills).
Where does it say lava is a damage type? Lava is a source of damage, but the damage it deals is untyped.

Jormengand
2015-04-24, 04:58 PM
Where does it say lava is a damage type? Lava is a source of damage, but the damage it deals is untyped.

Is force ever specified to be a damage type either? There are plenty of spells that deal force damage, but notice that incorporeal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#incorporealSubtype) creatures are dealt full damage by force effects, not force damage. I can't find anywhere on the SRD that mentions force as a damage type. Does that mean that force isn't a damage type? No, it doesn't. The very fact that some things deal "Force damage" means that it is a damage type; the same is true for "Backlash damage," "Scalding Damage" and "Falling damage".

DarkSonic1337
2015-04-24, 07:04 PM
Where does it say that lava does lava damage? Or that Heat inflicts heat damage?

Damage from falling is indeed called "falling damage" though (same for backlash damage).

TheBrassDuke
2015-04-24, 07:08 PM
Suffocation damage

Emotional :3

The Grue
2015-04-24, 07:09 PM
What type of damage is a Warlock's unmodified Eldrich Blast?

Anthrowhale
2015-04-24, 07:10 PM
My understanding is that "vile" is a type modifier rather than a type. For example, "Vile Electricity damage" is prevented by immunity to electricity but not easily healed if damage is incurred.

j_spencer93
2015-04-24, 07:11 PM
your right kind of.

Hiro Quester
2015-04-25, 12:13 AM
Good damage. Consecrate spell metamagic imbues your damaging spell with "the raw energy of good":

You can imbue your spells with the raw energy of good, by the grace of a celestial power.
Prerequisites: Any good alignment.
Benefit: A spell you modify with this feat gains the good descriptor. Furthermore, if the spell deals damage, half that damage (rounded down) results from divine power and can’t be reduced by resistance or immunity to energy-based attacks.

It seems like this good energy couldbe added to the list.

Or perhaps this is what is meant by "divine (sorta)" in the list?

Jormengand
2015-04-25, 07:38 AM
It seems like this good energy couldbe added to the list.

Or perhaps this is what is meant by "divine (sorta)" in the list?

Yeah, it is, I think.

Where does it say that lava does lava damage? Or that Heat inflicts heat damage?

Damage from falling is indeed called "falling damage" though (same for backlash damage).

Heat doesn't, sorry, but as the text points out that resistance or immunity to fire grants immunity to lava, it would appear that lava is a damage type.

j_spencer93
2015-04-26, 01:08 PM
actually divine was added because its on the other list...idk what is. Is there something that does divine???
Also...good damage??? what does that?
Isn't there something that says it does light damage too???

Jormengand
2015-04-26, 01:26 PM
actually divine was added because its on the other list...idk what is. Is there something that does divine???

Flame Strike does half fire and half divine damage. There's also a metamagic feat that lets any divine spell do half divine.

j_spencer93
2015-04-26, 03:44 PM
Ok well it stays then (odd damage though) but still, what about light damage and good damage?

Thurbane
2015-04-26, 03:52 PM
Someone with the Final Strike feat and the Fire subtype inflicts Fire damage as the primary type, and "light blast" as the secondary. It might be it's own damage type, or it might just be untyped. Searing Light and Sunbeam don't specify a damage type either...

j_spencer93
2015-04-26, 03:55 PM
i thought sanctified template did light or something, idk. Also it is sorta interesting it says secondary type then doesn't tell its type lol just a description of what happens.

General Sajaru
2015-04-26, 07:21 PM
I believe Amethyst or Crystal Dragons have a shards of light breath weapon.

Flickerdart
2015-04-26, 08:22 PM
Is force ever specified to be a damage type either? There are plenty of spells that deal force damage, but notice that incorporeal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#incorporealSubtype) creatures are dealt full damage by force effects, not force damage. I can't find anywhere on the SRD that mentions force as a damage type. Does that mean that force isn't a damage type? No, it doesn't. The very fact that some things deal "Force damage" means that it is a damage type; the same is true for "Backlash damage," "Scalding Damage" and "Falling damage".
Force Damage is implicitly defined as a damage type - you can take "1d8 force damage" from a force effect. But lava does not deal "lava damage" any more than an Eldritch Blast deals "eldritch damage."

Heat doesn't, sorry, but as the text points out that resistance or immunity to fire grants immunity to lava, it would appear that lava is a damage type.
That doesn't follow, not even a little bit. Lava (the damage source) has a special rule that it deals no damage to anyone with fire resistance. It is not a property of the damage type, the same way that a chaos hammer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/chaosHammer.htm) doesn't deal "chaos hammer damage" even though it has special rules for who takes damage from it.

Jormengand
2015-04-26, 08:25 PM
Force Damage is implicitly defined as a damage type - you can take "1d8 force damage" from a force effect. But lava does not deal "lava damage" any more than an Eldritch Blast deals "eldritch damage."

But one can have an immunity to lava, which implies that lava is a damage type.

ben-zayb
2015-04-26, 08:39 PM
Frostburn has...Frostburn damage. Sorta like Cold Damage, but better.

Not sure if Subdual Damage is folded into Nonlethal Damage, but I recall seeing such a thing

Flickerdart
2015-04-26, 08:40 PM
But one can have an immunity to lava, which implies that lava is a damage type.
Wrong. A character can be immune to fear, but fear is not a damage type. A character can be immune to petrification, polymorph, charms, compulsions, or even spells in general, and yet none of them are damage types. Good summoned creatures are immune to one of protection from evil's effects - will you insist that it is also a damage type?

FocusWolf413
2015-04-26, 08:56 PM
What type of damage is a Warlock's unmodified Eldrich Blast?

Darn, you beat me to mentioning it. AItItn't directly stated in the EB entry in CA, but I've always thought it was raw arcane power. It's essentially untyped raw magical energy.

j_spencer93
2015-04-27, 02:12 PM
1. Could anyone confirm or deny light for me please? Sanctified doesn't have it but pretty sure i read it somewhere on this form. Also idk where those dragons are so can't look at them. Doesn't seem so

2. Scalding and heat- are those actual damage types, i can't seem to find them. Read on another forum boiling water does scalding, is that correct?

3. What type of damage is eldritch blast? Answered

4. Is poison its own type?

5. Drowning?

6. Exalted, second time i have seen it mentioned but i know of no source for it. answered

Most of these are now pulled from other forums. I am just asking to clarify, I would like to know a source for each at least before adding them.

FocusWolf413
2015-04-27, 02:35 PM
Eldritch blast is untyped magical damage. Officially, it's described as "baleful magical energy," but a damage type is never strictly described.

j_spencer93
2015-04-27, 02:45 PM
Honestly warlocks are the second most used class in my games and i never realized that about EB. So either Untyped or baleful magical energy lol (jk) either way its the same result.

Jormengand
2015-04-27, 03:39 PM
Wrong. A character can be immune to fear, but fear is not a damage type. A character can be immune to petrification, polymorph, charms, compulsions, or even spells in general, and yet none of them are damage types. Good summoned creatures are immune to one of protection from evil's effects - will you insist that it is also a damage type?

No, because LAVA DOES DAMAGE AND FEAR DOES NOT. If you are IMMUNE TO LAVA you are IMMUNE TO DAMAGE CAUSED BY LAVA, ie LAVA DAMAGE. If you are IMMUNE TO FEAR you are immune to the EFFECTS OF FEAR, ie FEAR EFFECTS.

Scalding and heat- are those actual damage types, i can't seem to find them. Read on another forum boiling water does scalding, is that correct?

Heat deals nonlethal damage... Boiling water deals 1d6 points of scalding damage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#heatDangers)

Flickerdart
2015-04-27, 04:51 PM
No, because LAVA DOES DAMAGE AND FEAR DOES NOT. If you are IMMUNE TO LAVA you are IMMUNE TO DAMAGE CAUSED BY LAVA, ie LAVA DAMAGE. If you are IMMUNE TO FEAR you are immune to the EFFECTS OF FEAR, ie FEAR EFFECTS.
Ah, the old "argument by capital assertion" approach.

Spells do damage. Immunity to spells is a thing. Is "spell" a damage type?

Jormengand
2015-04-27, 04:58 PM
Spells do damage. Immunity to spells is a thing. Is "spell" a damage type?

No, because you are immune to the spell, which is defined as infinite SR because that's what spell immunity is. Being immune to lava means being immune to lava damage, the same way as being immune to acid means you're immune to acid damage, and being immune, somehow, to city does not in fact mean that no function of a city or anything therein can ever harm you.

Hiro Quester
2015-04-27, 05:05 PM
6. Exalted, second time i have seen it mentioned but i know of no source for it.

The only thing I can think of here is from the book of Exalted Deeds, p. 42

Consecrate spell, listed with Exalted feats, is a +1 metamagic feat applied to a damaging spell to imbue it "with the raw energy of good". Half of the spell's damage "results from Divine power" and can't be reduced by energy immunity or resistance. It only affects no good creatures, though.

The Grue
2015-04-27, 07:46 PM

I used to know this guy who, when you tried to explain to him a different point of view, would not engage in discussion but would rather repeat the exact same sentence, slower and louder.

You remind me of him.

General Sajaru
2015-04-27, 08:18 PM
1. Could anyone confirm or deny light for me please? Sanctified doesn't have it but pretty sure i read it somewhere on this form. Also idk where those dragons are so can't look at them.

Crystal Dragon (MM2 Pg. 82): A crystal dragon’s breath weapon is a cone of brilliant light. A target who fails his or her Reflex saving throw takes the indicated damage and is blinded for 1d4 rounds.

Flickerdart
2015-04-27, 08:18 PM
Crystal Dragon (MM2 Pg. 82): A crystal dragon’s breath weapon is a cone of brilliant light. A target who fails his or her Reflex saving throw takes the indicated damage and is blinded for 1d4 rounds.
That's still not a damage type. Unless it says "$creature takes X $type damage" it is not typed damage.

General Sajaru
2015-04-27, 09:15 PM
On the one hand, I'm inclined to agree with you, since it is indeed not specifically stated; on the other, what type of damage would you say it is?

Flickerdart
2015-04-27, 09:24 PM
On the one hand, I'm inclined to agree with you, since it is indeed not specifically stated; on the other, what type of damage would you say it is?
Scanning through the entry, it would appear to be untyped.

j_spencer93
2015-04-27, 09:30 PM
ok so the divine damage is confirmed just not exalted. after looking i can not find exalted damage myself so it is gone. Now, as for lava.
Lava doesnt say it deals lava damage, actually simply saying X deals damage then it deals X damage is wrong. a sword doesn't deal sword damage. A tidal wave doesnt deal water damage. Etc. It is removed for the time being until someone can show it saying "Lava damage, blocks lava damage, deals lava damage" example.

Khedrac
2015-04-28, 06:26 AM
1. Could anyone confirm or deny light for me please? Sanctified doesn't have it but pretty sure i read it somewhere on this form. Also idk where those dragons are so can't look at them.
Spell Compendium: Radiant Assault does light damage.

Hiro Quester
2015-04-28, 07:15 AM

This again seems to be in the fluff description. The actual damage is untyped. Like Flickerdart wait about the Crystal dragon.

This spell releases energy in the form of a multitude of rainbow-colored beams that erupt in every direction within the area designated by you. This kaleidoscopic burst of energy deals 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 15d6),

It's a good spell, with a debuff (daze or dazzle if you make save) as well as damage. But it's not described as "light damage". It's light that does untyped damage.

nyjastul69
2015-04-28, 07:18 AM

Heat deals nonlethal damage... Boiling water deals 1d6 points of scalding damage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#heatDangers)

The link you provided only states that lava does lethal damage.

Flickerdart
2015-04-28, 09:25 AM
Radiant assault is a [Light] spell that deals damage, but it is not a spell that deals light damage.

j_spencer93
2015-04-28, 11:21 AM
Well i will remove light for now, just could have sworn it was on at least one thing, but i could be wrong.

heat- it seems its nonlethal damage or is there somewhere that actually references or says it does Heat damage?

Jormengand
2015-04-28, 11:26 AM
The link you provided only states that lava does lethal damage.

I maintain that since there is a brand, category, subset, one might even say type, of damage that has the special property of the possibility that you might be immune to such damage - that is to say "Immune to lava" - there is in fact a damage type which is lava, and which you can be immune - but not resistant, but then, you can't to my knowledge be resistant to city damage either. If you could, however, "Immune to city" would mean that you were immune to city damage, not any damage or other effect that transpired in or was caused by a city. "Immune to lava" means that you are immune to lava damage, not that you are immune to damage caused by lava. Otherwise, you would be immune to the falling damage caused by someone dropping a ton of lava on you.

j_spencer93
2015-04-28, 11:30 AM
In his defense ^, the acid area also never says it does acid damage oddly. Now we know there is acid damage from spells saying it deals that type.
Still I fail to find a place that says "this deals lava damage".

The Grue
2015-04-28, 11:38 AM
I maintain that since there is a brand, category, subset, one might even say type, of damage that has the special property of the possibility that you might be immune to such damage - that is to say "Immune to lava" - there is in fact a damage type which is lava, and which you can be immune - but not resistant, but then, you can't to my knowledge be resistant to city damage either. If you could, however, "Immune to city" would mean that you were immune to city damage, not any damage or other effect that transpired in or was caused by a city. "Immune to lava" means that you are immune to lava damage, not that you are immune to damage caused by lava. Otherwise, you would be immune to the falling damage caused by someone dropping a ton of lava on you.

You're equivocating terms. Do you also believe that a character having Spell Resitance makes it difficult to write their name?

Jormengand
2015-04-28, 11:49 AM
You're equivocating terms. Do you also believe that a character having Spell Resitance makes it difficult to write their name?

No, you're using homonymous words. Lava and lava are not homonyms, they are literally the same word. See the difference?

j_spencer93
2015-04-28, 11:53 AM
I will gladly add lava if you can show me a single thing that says it does lava damage.

Is there anything that simply does magic damage?

The Grue
2015-04-28, 12:02 PM
No, you're using homonymous words. Lava and lava are not homonyms, they are literally the same word. See the difference?

Not what I was referring to, but I refuse to engage in "no u" exchanges so I'll let that discussion drop.

I don't have the rule in front of me, but I recall that fire resistance explicitly protects against damage from lava. If as you say said damage is lava damage and not fire damage, why does fire resistance protect against it?

EDIT: Also, which creatures have "immunity to lava" as an ability? Maybe the text there can offer some insight.

j_spencer93
2015-04-28, 12:08 PM
Not what I was referring to, but I refuse to engage in "no u" exchanges so I'll let that discussion drop.

I don't have the rule in front of me, but I recall that fire resistance explicitly protects against damage from lava. If as you say said damage is lava damage and not fire damage, why does fire resistance protect against it?

EDIT: Also, which creatures have "immunity to lava" as an ability? Maybe the text there can offer some insight.

That rule is in the link he provided

Lord of Shadows
2015-04-28, 12:22 PM
I could be wrong as far as RAW is concerned, but I always thought that "Good," "Holy," and "Divine" were all different terms for the same type of damage. In a similar way, "Evil," "Unholy," and "Profane" are all different words for the same thing.

It can be hard to complete a list of this sort once you get beyond the basic types of damage. Some authors and game designers also seem to have intentionally used a "similar but different" strategy that would allow "their" damage to get by what might be perceived as a protection.

Hecuba
2015-04-28, 12:36 PM
Regarding the lava/fire conversation: I've always regarded that line as a point of clarification regarding the normal fire rules.

I don't think this would be in the SRD and I'm away from my books at the moment, but if memory serves any fire resistance grants immunity to nonmagical fire. The line on lava effectively points out that it behaves exactly the same as nonmagical fire normally would.

Hiro Quester
2015-04-28, 12:38 PM
the part about damage from lava is from the SRD section on Heat damage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm):

Lava Effects:
Lava or magma deals 2d6 points of damage per round of exposure, except in the case of total immersion (such as when a character falls into the crater of an active volcano), which deals 20d6 points of damage per round.

Damage from magma continues for 1d3 rounds after exposure ceases, but this additional damage is only half of that dealt during actual contact (that is, 1d6 or 10d6 points per round).

An immunity or resistance to fire serves as an immunity to lava or magma. However, a creature immune to fire might still drown if completely immersed in lava.

It seems clear to me that this is heat damage, caused by lava. Nobody is immune to "lava damage" though immunity to fire protects you to the damage lava can cause by its heat. Someone with immunity to fire can still drown in lava, or be bludgeoned by a ton of it falling on his head.

Can this part of the discussion be done now?

The Grue
2015-04-28, 01:32 PM
That rule is in the link he provided

Thanks, but that isn't at all the question I was asking. Please read my post again.

j_spencer93
2015-04-28, 01:37 PM
I could be wrong as far as RAW is concerned, but I always thought that "Good," "Holy," and "Divine" were all different terms for the same type of damage. In a similar way, "Evil," "Unholy," and "Profane" are all different words for the same thing.

It can be hard to complete a list of this sort once you get beyond the basic types of damage. Some authors and game designers also seem to have intentionally used a "similar but different" strategy that would allow "their" damage to get by what might be perceived as a protection.

Although this could be true, there exist spells/feats/abilities that say you deal evil, unholy, or profane. Even if they are meant to be the same, RAW says they are different. Same for the good ones.

As to the Grue, I apologize. I misread what you posted.

As for the Heat Damage, i am not seeing that term anywhere. Am i missing it? Everywhere i look it says it causes nonlethal damage not heat damage. Also, nothing i can find says "protects from heat damage" instead it simple says it protects you from heat. Pretty sure at this point, heat is not a damage, it is a source of nonlethal damage.

danzibr
2015-04-28, 01:42 PM
Nobody's claiming magma is a damage type, eh?

Regardless, if something said ``immunity to magic missile'' you wouldn't claim magic missile is a damage type, right? I hope.

j_spencer93
2015-04-28, 01:43 PM
Nobody's claiming magma is a damage type, eh?

Regardless, if something said ``immunity to magic missile'' you wouldn't claim magic missile is a damage type, right? I hope.

Exactly, simply an immunity to something doesn't make it a damage type.
Now Can I have a reference to drowning damage or is poison is its own damage type or not? I am not seeing poison anywhere outside of 5.0

The Grue
2015-04-28, 01:55 PM
Poisons typically deal ability damage don't they? I don't believe Poison is a unique damage type in 3.X

j_spencer93
2015-04-28, 01:58 PM
Ok that is what i was thinking too. Saw it on a list on another site and didn't think it sounded right.
Scalding could have been a neat damage type for them to expand upon in the game but, as far as i know, it never made it past that once sentence.

Hiro Quester
2015-04-28, 02:09 PM
As for the Heat Damage, i am not seeing that term anywhere. Am i missing it? Everywhere i look it says it causes nonlethal damage not heat damage. Also, nothing i can find says "protects from heat damage" instead it simple says it protects you from heat. Pretty sure at this point, heat is not a damage, it is a source of nonlethal damage.

No. I mistyped. The section is about "Heat dangers". There is no heat damage type. Environmental heat deals nonlethal damage. Boiling water does scalding damage. Lava does lethal damage that fire immunity protects you from.

j_spencer93
2015-04-28, 02:15 PM
Hiro- the heat damage was mentioned on the other threat in the link too. I have seen it referenced a lot also. And i agree with the assumption there is no heat damage as it is never called such anywhere. As for Lava, ya it is just a form of untyped damage that is stopped by fire resistance.

LoyalPaladin
2015-04-28, 04:47 PM
Lava damage is also different from fire because any resistance to fire causes immunity to lava.
Are you trying to pull the helmet over my eyes? Where is this!

j_spencer93
2015-04-28, 04:48 PM
its actually stated in the environmental hazards area of the SRD. Problem is, there is no lava damage.

Curmudgeon
2015-04-28, 05:40 PM
its actually stated in the environmental hazards area of the SRD. Problem is, there is no lava damage.
There's more than one way of reading terms like that. "<x> damage" could be either damage of type <x>, or damage caused by <x> (example: arrow damage). Lava damage is damage caused by lava, not damage of type lava.

j_spencer93
2015-04-28, 06:00 PM
Good thing i didn't ask for damage type then. Lol. Sorry, just had to reference the title of the post to your response.
And if we are thinking that way then swords do sword damage. throwing a rock does rock damage. Heck stubbing your toe on a chair does chair damage.
Joke over, I understand how it can be read both ways. However, with the specific request of damage types and then a list of such types, one can deduce I meant damage of X type.

The Grue
2015-04-28, 06:22 PM
Good thing i didn't ask for damage type then. Lol. Sorry, just had to reference the title of the post to your response.
And if we are thinking that way then swords do sword damage. throwing a rock does rock damage. Heck stubbing your toe on a chair does chair damage.
Joke over, I understand how it can be read both ways. However, with the specific request of damage types and then a list of such types, one can deduce I meant damage of X type.

I tend to agree; there's a difference between damage sources and damage types.

That said there is a mechanic that tracks damage source rather than type; material DRs. DR X/Cold Iron for instance is deducted against damage from any but a specific source, rather than damage type. It's an interesting distinction, although tangental at best to the purpose of this thread except to highlight that there is a mechanical difference.

j_spencer93
2015-04-28, 06:52 PM
I also am slightly interested in damage sources but that list would have to have a specific way to be ordered. Prob something like "explicitly protected by spell or DR" but that would be a separate thread.

Hiro Quester
2015-04-28, 08:33 PM
This may be obvious, but why do you have "blunt" damage rather than "bludgeoning damage" in the normal types section?

Spells like meteor strike and weapons like a mace do "bludgeoning" damage, not blunt damage.

Thurbane
2015-04-28, 09:10 PM
I've always wondered about spells like Ice Storm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/iceStorm.htm) that specify part of the damage as budgeoning. This would imply that the damage would be affected by DR, right? Except the rules say very clearly that all spell damage completely ignores DR. :smallconfused:

nyjastul69
2015-04-29, 06:31 AM
I've always wondered about spells like Ice Storm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/iceStorm.htm) that specify part of the damage as budgeoning. This would imply that the damage would be affected by DR, right? Except the rules say very clearly that all spell damage completely ignores DR. :smallconfused:

I think it's because of resistances and immunities. The spell you link would still deal the bludgeoning damage to a creature immune to cold damage.

j_spencer93
2015-04-29, 07:15 AM
oh....i apply DR to those....
PS. It says blunt because im lazy

Flickerdart
2015-04-29, 09:34 AM
You're not supposed to apply it to spells (DR is explicitly against weapon damage only) but psionic Metacreativity powers are also explicitly thwarted by it thanks to a sidebar in Complete Psionic.

Hiro Quester
2015-04-29, 12:01 PM
PS. It says blunt because im lazy

Spell Resistance also applies to Ice Storm and meteor strike. The falling icicles are causing magical damage using magic to cause damage, with the bludgeoning part used to reduce the amount resisted by cold or fire immunity.

If SR can prevent the spell from hurting you, it doesn't seem to be that the spell is creating actual (natural) icicles that smack you around. It's a magical attack.

Damage Reduction says this:

A creature with this special quality ignores damage from most weapons and natural attacks. Wounds heal immediately, or the weapon bounces off harmlessly (in either case, the opponent knows the attack was ineffective). The creature takes normal damage from energy attacks (even nonmagical ones), spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities.

I don't want to start a thing here about spell damage vs. weapon damage and natural damage. :smallwink: But this isn't normal bludgeoning. It's bludgeoning damage caused by a spell, to which SR applies and DR does not.

The Grue
2015-04-29, 01:56 PM
I've always found it odd that Ice Storm, which creates hailstones, is an evocation spell subject to SR, while something like Acid Arrow is not. Seems to me based on the description Ice Storm ought to be a Conjuration spell.

j_spencer93
2015-04-29, 04:50 PM
I feel like an idiot now. I seriously have been applying it this entire time without realizing it was wrong. And i even know about the rules concerning it.

Hiro Quester
2015-04-29, 05:08 PM
I feel like an idiot now. I seriously have been applying it this entire time without realizing it was wrong. And i even know about the rules concerning it.

We can all say that about some rule or another. That's why I love this forum, for helping learn about subtleties.

I just wish I could say that more than half the time the corrections I learn about hereare to my character's advantage in opening up new options. That usually isn't true, though.

j_spencer93
2015-04-29, 05:20 PM
I don't think the DR thing was ever a problem honestly but still nice to know how to properly do it.

j_spencer93
2015-05-11, 04:25 PM
Special celestial lighting actually is in a few spells. called out as "special celestial lighting" similar to hellfire.