PDA

View Full Version : Best frontline fighters

raistlin807
2007-04-16, 04:52 PM
This is a post for people to talk about their favorite/most powerful awesome sword-slinging sons-of-b******. Please include descriptions of fighting styles, feats/special abilities and if it's suitably awesome; Some anecdote of their exploits and/or how they died or ended the campaign. The greatest charachter will be awarded the Hirsch-Norris award for Extreme Exellence.

Matthew
2007-04-16, 09:30 PM
Why not post your own Frontline Fighter to begin with? It's rare for Threads like this to gain any momentum, unless they become Spell Caster versus Non Spell Caster debates.

hanseislanson
2007-04-16, 11:18 PM
Well, im rnuning a barbarian legendary dreadnought master of the storm right now who tends to hurl things, he is a legendary wrestler so grappling is a forte for him, and he once tried to intimidate a adult black dragon.

Da Beast
2007-04-16, 11:30 PM
Favorite? Swordsage. Best? Probably warblade.

Deel
2007-04-16, 11:40 PM
My favorite is definitely Warblade. I don't play many melee guys, I'm more of a ranged fighter, but warblade is just fun. I have one right now specializing in TWF nd Tiger Claw manuevers, fun whether he is using the Dancing/Raging Mongoose stuff to get a nice number of attacks, or using the jumpy manuevers(Claw at the Moon, Death from Above, ect.) to fly all over the battlefield, and using a few random iron heart things for swordsman spirit. He also dual weilds bastard swords, far from optimal, I know, but you can't deny the impossible-in-reality badassness of flying all over the place with a bastard sword in each hand.

MellowMelon
2007-04-17, 12:42 AM
While I would love to claim this character as my own, I cannot. The best melee man I've ever seen was a Barbarian my 15 year-old brother played last summer.

His was a barbarian of culture and exploration.

He had an INT of 13 and spent the skill points to become literate. He carried around huge sheets of parchment and charcoal to do rubbings of any inscriptions (especially in languages he didn't know).

This didn't stop him from retaining some of his more "uncivilized" traits. He had a hodgepodge coat of uncured pelts that proved his worth in battle. The rest of the party had trouble being around him because of his stench. This barbarian also refused to be magically healed of all wounds because this prevented the appearence of scars, honorable badges of curage in his tribe.

Functionall he was a barbarian who took two levels of fighter around 8-9. He focused on power attacking early but eventually moved on to tripping.

Man... my brother makes the coolest characters.

Takamari
2007-04-17, 12:53 AM
My first character. I made the stereotypical knight in shining armor. This was back in 3.0, so a lot of the new options were not there.

He was a lawful good, but not godly enough to be a paladin, fighter the fought sword and board. The game got to like 12th level. He was always the first one in and last one out. He never did great damage but he was rarely hit, taking the heat off the other characters.

He died holding back a horde of undead. Our wizard was at -8, our cleric had already exhausted all his turns and all of his spells in the dungeon. The Rogue was beaten up and the sorcerer was getting low also. Why our sorcerer didnt' have teleport is beyond me, but who am I to judge. In any case, we found a choke point and I bought the party time. Now I didnt' intend to die, but that many leveled undead were too much

raistlin807
2007-04-17, 11:43 AM
We were playing a 5th level capmaign and I had made a Drow fighter just for the hell of it. He was nothing special at the time but like many favorites, he quickly grew on me. The party had to constantly cast spells or hide me to keep the commoners from mobbing and killing me (I wasn't Evil but I wasn't good either) Well we were traveling with a wagon train and we (the party) were scouting ahead. Suddenly we came across 30 ogres and their ogre mage leader heading off to ambush the caravan. We hauled back, I think the wizzard/necromancer used whispeering wind to tell our companions to prepare defenses. When we got back the guards, all 1st level warriors, haden't done crap cause they were incompetent. So I reveal my drow's heritage, and intimidate them into preparing (thank god for natural 20s) We tipped the carts over and rammed spears through them to make a barricade and armed the guards with longspears and bows(my idea). When the frst wave of ogres hit the wall the guards kept safe at a range while dealing impresive damage and the party engaged in the hard toe-to-toe fighting. As the battle raged on members started falling bit I managed to somehow survive till the end where it was the necromancer and me vs. the ogre mage. Realizing my 'friend' was out of spells, I picked him up and used him as a weapon/sheild to protect myself. Finally, thanks to my SR, I killed the ogre mage and impaled his severed head on a spear, which I held up to my god with the proclimation "Thank Tempus we WON!" Bear in mind that the NPCs had been slaughtered to a man, many were disembowled, impaled or hacked apart. Most of the party were somewhere around -5 to -7 though all but the wizzard had stabilized. There was a moment after I made my proclimation where everybody just stared at me with amusement/rage/confusion then we all started laughing. Like he said, he wasn't special but he made the game fun. And in the end, isn't that all that matters?