PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Angelic Players

DracoKnight
2015-04-24, 05:05 PM
For $#!%$ and giggles, I wanted to make an Angel Player Race, based on a much less powerful version of the Angels in the monster manual, with a few abilities that I thought fit them.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B66RprYE6_HHXzM2MnRMZmZjZkE/view?usp=sharing

DracoKnight
2015-04-25, 08:16 PM
Thoughts? Anyone? I would love feedback :D

DracoKnight
2015-04-26, 01:34 PM
I have players that really want to play this now. Does anyone think that this is too OP?

Wartex1
2015-04-26, 01:36 PM
Not quite overpowered, but it's definitely on the high-power end of the scale along with Variant Human and Half-Elf.

DracoKnight
2015-04-26, 01:39 PM
Okay. I'm okay with that, then. There's already both of those in my party :P

cooldes
2015-11-29, 05:31 AM
question on the wings. is it once per short rest? or long rest? wondering because it says they last one minute, but doesn't have any restriction fro spamming it each and every minute

M Placeholder
2015-11-29, 11:53 AM
Okie dokie, lets see how this measures on the Musicus Scale (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ViqLSEN67mmd2Lo_OJ-H5YX0fccsfI97kFaqx7V1Dmw/pub) -

Stats for all subraces

Ability Score Increase - 2
Darkvision - 0.5
Divine Awareness - 0.5
Celestial Body - 0.5
Divine Resistance - 0.5
Angel Wings - Hmm...... first off, you move when you are on the Astral Plane by using your intelligence score x3, so the wings would be useless there. Considering that its a one shot deal between long and short rests, I would give it a 0.5

So thats 4.5 for the base. For the subraces, they score a 2. So the race hits a 6.5 on the scale. Thats good.

As for the lore about the Astral Plane, remember that time has no meaning on the Astral Plane - nothing there ages, and it states that the Angels are Immortal while on the Astral Plane. So does that mean while they are on the Astral Plane, they are invincible, or does it mean that if they "die" on the Astral Plane, they regenarate?

This is really good, just needs that lore sorted out about the wings.

DracoKnight
2015-11-29, 03:22 PM
question on the wings. is it once per short rest? or long rest? wondering because it says they last one minute, but doesn't have any restriction fro spamming it each and every minute

It says once per short or long rest.

Amnoriath
2015-11-29, 06:38 PM
Okie dokie, lets see how this measures on the Musicus Scale (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ViqLSEN67mmd2Lo_OJ-H5YX0fccsfI97kFaqx7V1Dmw/pub) -

Stats for all subraces

Ability Score Increase - 2
Darkvision - 0.5
Divine Awareness - 0.5
Celestial Body - 0.5
Divine Resistance - 0.5
Angel Wings - Hmm...... first off, you move when you are on the Astral Plane by using your intelligence score x3, so the wings would be useless there. Considering that its a one shot deal between long and short rests, I would give it a 0.5

So thats 4.5 for the base. For the subraces, they score a 2. So the race hits a 6.5 on the scale. Thats good.

As for the lore about the Astral Plane, remember that time has no meaning on the Astral Plane - nothing there ages, and it states that the Angels are Immortal while on the Astral Plane. So does that mean while they are on the Astral Plane, they are invincible, or does it mean that if they "die" on the Astral Plane, they regenarate?

This is really good, just needs that lore sorted out about the wings.
I would have to disagree in this assessment. Araakocra flight is 4 so considering the length of time and the removal of light armor restriction it is at least a 2. Additionally you never added their weapon proficiencies so this probably should be an 8.5.

M Placeholder
2015-11-30, 06:29 AM
I would have to disagree in this assessment. Araakocra flight is 4 so considering the length of time and the removal of light armor restriction it is at least a 2. Additionally you never added their weapon proficiencies so this probably should be an 8.5.

I did add the weapon proficiences for the analysis for the subraces (Cantrip = 0.5, 4 weapon proficiencies = 0.5, Ability Score Increase = 1).

As for the flying, it depends a lot on how easy it is to take a short rest in the campaign, and the world. It might not be possible to take a short rest in some areas of the campaign, and the wings last for 1 minute.

Feuerphoenix
2015-12-01, 06:54 PM
Aasiamar do not fit? you could change them a little bit by taking away the spell casting ability and add the flying ability with restrictions (eg. only why while wearing no armor,and only playable with several classes).

DracoKnight
2015-12-01, 07:54 PM
Aasiamar do not fit? you could change them a little bit by taking away the spell casting ability and add the flying ability with restrictions (eg. only why while wearing no armor,and only playable with several classes).

The Aasimar didn't fit for what I wanted in a fully Angelic player race. This is obviously a very weak angel. Like Castiel from Supernatural - you're on the bottom rung of the Angelic Choirs.

Sp8ke
2016-11-06, 08:44 PM
I'd love to see a flavor section of this. Something like some general background information on Angels and how they work in communities and/or society as a whole.

DracoKnight
2016-11-06, 09:46 PM
I'd love to see a flavor section of this. Something like some general background information on Angels and how they work in communities and/or society as a whole.

I will revisit this over the next couple of weeks. I was already going to dust it off and rebalance the mechanics, to republish it on Middle Finger of Vecna (http://www.middlefingerofvecna.com/).

Sariel Vailo
2016-11-07, 06:52 PM
honestly ill test this, ive wanted to have an angel like avacyn from mtg.but i digress i test as npc than player than other wise

GandalfTheWhite
2016-11-10, 07:33 PM
honestly ill test this, ive wanted to have an angel like avacyn from mtg.but i digress i test as npc than player than other wise

What are you even saying? I'm not the OP (obviously), but I doubt DracoKnight knows what you're saying :smalltongue: