PDA

View Full Version : What feats should exist for 5e DND that is missing?

CyberThread
2015-04-24, 07:46 PM
yo the title ,....yo

Easy_Lee
2015-04-24, 07:55 PM
A feat for versatile weapon usage. Hand-and-a-half swords and the like were some of the most common weapons throughout medieval Europe, and yet there's no way to actually use the versatile property of a versatile weapon effectively. You either always use it one-handed, or always use it two-handed except when grappling. There's no feat to really improve it, and the only versatile weapon that has decent support is the quarterstaff.

ChubbyRain
2015-04-24, 11:42 PM
Shock Trooper: Essentially reckless attack, maybe give a small bonus to something else with it...

+++

Versitile Spell List: Choose a level of spells that you don't have access too and choose another full spell casting class. When you gain acess to that level of spell you replace your spell list of that level with the other class's spell list.

Basically if I don't have access to 3rd level spells yet an I'm a cleric, I can take this feat and give up my spell list of 3rd level and pick up the wizard's 3rd level spell list. I would still use wis as my casting stat.

Potentially broken but I love this idea. Magic already gets all the fun toys so I don't see this as really damaging the game.

+++

Remove the fighter class and here is some more feats.

Fighting Style (Lv. 4)
Choose one of the following fighting styles that you don't already have.
Gain +1 Con

Starting at level 12 you may select this feat a second time.

Archery
Defense
Dueling
Great Weapon Fighting
Protection
Two-Weapon Fighting

++++
Second Wind
+1 Con
1/ S or L Rest, as a bonus action you may heal a number if HP equal to 1d10+character level.

++++
Action Surge (Lv. 12)
1/S or L Rest you may take a second action on your turn.

At level 19 you may take this feat a second time in order to use the feature 2/S or L rest.

++++
Extra Attack 2 (Lv. 12)
When you take the Attack action you may make a third attack.

++++
Indomitable (Lv. 8)
+1 Con
1/Long Rest you may reroll a save you have failed.

At level 19 you may take this feat again to use the feature 2/Long Rest.

++++

(These are spitball ideas of of right now)

Demonic Spoon
2015-04-25, 01:09 AM
A feat for versatile weapon usage. Hand-and-a-half swords and the like were some of the most common weapons throughout medieval Europe, and yet there's no way to actually use the versatile property of a versatile weapon effectively. You either always use it one-handed, or always use it two-handed except when grappling. There's no feat to really improve it, and the only versatile weapon that has decent support is the quarterstaff.

That's not a problem with feats, that's a problem with the base rules. Versatile is a largely meaningless property, and it's balanced as such (example being the d8 martial weapons, some with versatile 'for free', others without).

Anyway:

-The idea of being able to gain expertise via Skilled has been discussed before. Conceptually the idea of being able to specialize in a skill is cool

-In the same vein as Martial/Magic adept, something to give you a little bit of monk-y flavor would be cool.

-Feats enabling oddball fighting styles - I'm thinking stuff for things like whips and nets.

Slipperychicken
2015-04-25, 02:33 AM
I think the last thing this edition needs is feat chains and feat taxes; that was one of the worst parts of 3.5 and needed to go away. Feats benefits should be useful throughout all levels, or otherwise scale.

It could be cool to have a feat which grants divine sense, like the paladin ability. As an added bonus, it would probably give +1 Wisdom and proficiency with Insight. It might also give extra uses per day to characters who already have divine sense as a class feature.

Maybe we could have a feat which grants an animal companion. I always liked Wild Cohort in 3.5. Maybe it would let the character cast Find Steed as a ritual, with extra options for the animal it summons.

ChubbyRain
2015-04-25, 08:12 AM
I think the last thing this edition needs is feat chains and feat taxes; that was one of the worst parts of 3.5 and needed to go away. Feats benefits should be useful throughout all levels, or otherwise scale.

It could be cool to have a feat which grants divine sense, like the paladin ability. As an added bonus, it would probably give +1 Wisdom and proficiency with Insight. It might also give extra uses per day to characters who already have divine sense as a class feature.

Maybe we could have a feat which grants an animal companion. I always liked Wild Cohort in 3.5. Maybe it would let the character cast Find Steed as a ritual, with extra options for the animal it summons.

Why would it be +1 Wis? Shouldn't it be +1 Cha? Paladins are purely Cha based now and the ability can be used 1+cha mod times a day or something like that.

A feat for that, +1 Cha, and maybe another minor ability like advantage on insight checks (to mirror actor I think it is).

BoutsofInsanity
2015-04-25, 08:29 AM
Ki-Pool
+1 to Wis
Add your Wisdom Bonus to your Ki Pool. This affect does change in response to your Wisdom Score

Iron Will
+1 to a mental Stat
Advantage on saves against Charm or Psychic effects

Great Fortitude
+1 to Con
Adv on Con Saves

Dragon Slayer
Advantage on Knowledge Nature Rolls and History in regards to Drakes, Wryms, Dragons and Dragonborn
Advantage to saves against Breath Weapons
Increase Crit Threat Range by 1 against above type
Advantage on Confirmation Rolls against above type

This can be changed to any type of Monster, Demon Slayer, Vampire Killer, Lich Bane, etc...

Big Damn Hero
After being affected by a crowd control affect for 1 round, the recipient of this feat may roll twice on subsequent turns, if he succeeds on the second roll rather then the first normally allowed, he may choose to ignore the crowd control affect till the beginning of his next turn.

khachaturian
2015-04-25, 08:57 AM
leadership... jk

ChubbyRain
2015-04-25, 10:00 AM
leadership... jk

Actually if you work leadership correctly it would be a fantastic thing.

Set it at level 10-16 for the fighter, rogue, or barbarian and make it being about gathering an army, guild members, or tribe to help you out. It could help balance out the game a bit.

MrStabby
2015-04-25, 10:24 AM
Calculated strike
you may add your intelligence bonus to your damage once per turn.
(somewhat mitigated by Int being a dump stat for most fighters)

Pit Fighter
-May treat the net as a melee weapon
-May use their reaction to turn a critical hit against them to a normal hit
-May attempt to break free of a grapple or similar status effect as a bonus action instead of an action

Ralanr
2015-04-25, 10:40 AM
I think feats that reward players for bonuses in their intelligence would be interesting. Rewards that a good for any class, not just wizard which is the only class that is likely to have a high int score. That and EK fighter.

I don't play with high int much, but I'm not a big fan of dump stats. Sure if all stats were more or less closely important to each other you'd have to worry about you're distribution. Or hope your teammates have your back.

Demonic Spoon
2015-04-25, 11:08 AM
I think feats that reward players for bonuses in their intelligence would be interesting. Rewards that a good for any class, not just wizard which is the only class that is likely to have a high int score. That and EK fighter.

I don't play with high int much, but I'm not a big fan of dump stats. Sure if all stats were more or less closely important to each other you'd have to worry about you're distribution. Or hope your teammates have your back.

This could potentially be really, really awesome actually. The problem would be coming up with a feature that was good for classes that don't normally pump int, but not mandatory for EKs and Wizards.

I'd also like to see similar feats for other attributes enabling, for example, a CHA-based fighter.

D.U.P.A.
2015-04-25, 11:12 AM
I think that Cha is even more dumpable for fighters

squiggit
2015-04-25, 11:14 AM
On board with Ralanar and Spoon. Martial archetypes that can put their mental archetypes to good use are a lot of fun. Lore Warden fighters in Pathfinder get to make knowledge checks to gain bonuses to fighting an enemy (which is intelligence based). Thaneborn Barbarians use their charisma to rally their allies while simultaneously smashing things with their giant axe.

It's a lot of fun to play stuff like that and more support for those would be grand.

Ralanr
2015-04-25, 11:15 AM
I don't think it should go as far as dashing swordsman level stat use. More out of combat bonuses maybe. Perhaps using you int mod as or proficiency in skills you aren't proficient with?

That's a bad example. But I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Demonic Spoon
2015-04-25, 11:32 AM
I don't think it should go as far as dashing swordsman level stat use. More out of combat bonuses maybe. Perhaps using you int mod as or proficiency in skills you aren't proficient with?

That's a bad example. But I can't think of anything else at the moment.

It doesn't need to mean replacing physical stats with a mental stat as the primary. For example, intelligence might be flavored like the battlemaster's "Know Your Enemy", except key off int and provide some bonuses to weapon attacks.

MrStabby
2015-04-25, 11:50 AM
I think I would approve of it for int (obviously) and Wis but I think that there are already enough martial options that key off Cha that it isn't needed (and would likely be mandatory for Paladins and Bladelocks whilst being underwhelming for most other classes).

ChubbyRain
2015-04-25, 02:27 PM
They would need to have an in combat utility of some sort for any martial character to take these feats. If not then they will be either trap options or vastly sub par options.

Edit:

My rational is that feats are so rare that if they don't help you do something (in some way) what your entire class is gear toward then you probably won't pick it up.

Other classes can stand to pick up the feats that don't directly help their cause, but classes like fighter and Barbarians who need ASI/Specific feats to stay relevant... Not so much.

MrStabby
2015-04-25, 02:33 PM
They would need to have an in combat utility of some sort for any martial character to take these feats. If not then they will be either trap options or vastly sub par options.

Actually, I think that giving combat characters an out of combat utility might be better. That is the area of the game where martials are often left out.

Ralanr
2015-04-25, 02:39 PM
Actually, I think that giving combat characters an out of combat utility might be better. That is the area of the game where martials are often left out.

It's not like a martial should take only combat feats. One or two should be enough for a lot of martial class.

ChubbyRain
2015-04-25, 03:21 PM

I want martials yo have out of combat utility myself but feats are not the way to directly support it. This is the train of thought that gave us "hey the fighter has the most feats, they don't need class features" that lead to the travesty called 3e.

The classes need to give those options because feats can be taken by anyone.

When the classes are balanced around all facets of the game, in some way, then you can make feats that expand upon those principals.

Ralanr
2015-04-25, 04:33 PM
I want martials yo have out of combat utility myself but feats are not the way to directly support it. This is the train of thought that gave us "hey the fighter has the most feats, they don't need class features" that lead to the travesty called 3e.

When the classes are balanced around all facets of the game, in some way, then you can make feats that expand upon those principals.

That is a very good point.

eleazzaar
2015-04-25, 05:07 PM
Wildshaping-- Because it seems a shame the only way to shapeshift is to be a full caster.

Improved Familiar -- Making your familiar even better than the Warlock's familiar.

Animal Cohort (as previously mentioned) -- Lots of people want a faithful animal companion

Arcane Archer/Duskblade -- do magic damage and effects by hitting with your weapon.

Ardantis
2015-04-25, 08:01 PM
There aren't that many feats and feat taxes suck. My favorite feats in 3.5 were the tactical feats, and although they're probably more complex than 5e needs, they were never required.

I want to see Staggering Strike but fear that sneak attack feats would be a tax.

MrStabby
2015-04-25, 08:10 PM

Just because some people perceive classes to not be balanced is not to my mind a good reason for denying martial characters the option of having more out of combat utility by not having feats that support them.

ChubbyRain
2015-04-25, 08:20 PM
I want 4e style feats that essentially let's you multiclass via feat. Give me a whole slew of them! Like 5 for each class, probably some subclass ones would work also.

Wildshaping barbarian is needed.

Dungeoncrasher, yeah I know it was a alternate class feature, but this would make a great add on feat.

+1 Str
May shove back as a bonus action and you may shove back creatures of any size without taking disadvantage based on size.

When the target is pushed into a solid object they both take 1d4+Str damage.

@Mcstabby

5e classes are not balanced. Sure they can all do damage but that is where the balance ends. There are definite "haves" and "haves nots" when it comes to classes and utility/options outside of damage in 5e.

It is a straight up fact, just because people like to pretend otherwise doesn't mean the game is the way they perceive it. I can pretend like 3e is balanced but that doesn't make it true.

Giant2005
2015-04-25, 11:28 PM
5e classes are not balanced. Sure they can all do damage but that is where the balance ends. There are definite "haves" and "haves nots" when it comes to classes and utility/options outside of damage in 5e.

It is a straight up fact, just because people like to pretend otherwise doesn't mean the game is the way they perceive it. I can pretend like 3e is balanced but that doesn't make it true.

While it is true that something isn't necessarily true simply because a significant majority of people perceive it to be true, they usually tend to be right when the majority consists of literally everybody minus one guy and his last remaining account that didn't seem to get banned with the others.
Just because you are on a crusade to try and convince the masses that the game is unbalanced rubbish, doesn't mean it is.

Mr.Moron
2015-04-25, 11:34 PM
Recursive Recording
Record this fear on your character sheet, then you must immediately take this feat an additional time. You gain +1 to all d20 rolls each time you take this feat.,

Knaight
2015-04-26, 12:08 AM
While it is true that something isn't necessarily true simply because a significant majority of people perceive it to be true, they usually tend to be right when the majority consists of literally everybody minus one guy and his last remaining account that didn't seem to get banned with the others.
Just because you are on a crusade to try and convince the masses that the game is unbalanced rubbish, doesn't mean it is.

That's not what the majority looks like at all. Plenty of people consider 5e fairly unbalanced, though obviously less so than 3e.

Mr.Moron
2015-04-26, 12:12 AM
That's not what the majority looks like at all. Plenty of people consider 5e fairly unbalanced, though obviously less so than 3e.

I think it's fair to say 5e isn't super balanced. What it is that 3e wasn't is fully functional. Like it might still be angel summoner and BMX bandit, but at least BMX bandit can ride his bike properly in core. He can also do so without stacking some stupid gimmick that's really narrow and can still break the game in places.

Totema
2015-04-26, 03:32 AM
I'd like to see some kind of "light armor mastery" feat to match the other forms of armor.

Theodoxus
2015-04-26, 03:53 AM
I was thinking about new feats after playing Diablo 3 this afternoon. I didn't get very far, but one I did think of, and kinda jumpstarted a new concept for me, was based on the Crusader ability to use two handed weapons in one hand, when wielding a shield.

So, I came up with The Crusader Feat:
Benefit: When wielding a shield, the character may use any two handed weapon in one hand, but the damage die is reduced one level. 1d12/2d6 become 1d10, 1d10 becomes 1d8, etc. Reach is unaffected (so you can still use a halberd at 10').
Prerequisites: the character must be at least 6th level in Paladin and 3rd level in Fighter.

It was that multiclass requirement that really was the turning point. I figure you could make a Mystic Theurge feat, requiring Wizard 4/Cleric 4 (though I suppose, any two full casting classes could work) that allowed you to take 1/3 (rounded down) of the other class levels and add them to first class, and vice versa, for purposes of spells known/prepared.

So a Wizard 4/Cleric 4 would have the equivalence of Wizard 5/Cleric 5 (for spells known) and Level 8 on the MC chart for spell slots.

I guess they could be classified as Prestige Feats - granting a benefit to multiclassed characters beyond what a single class could do.

A barbarian/rogue feat that increased sneak, maybe 1/3 or 1/4 barbarian levels.
A barbarian/caster feat that allowed concentration (but not spellcasting) to work with the rage - a Barbarian/Cleric or Paladin holding their own Bless would be pretty nifty - and unique.

Anyway, like I said, nothing fleshed out, certainly not tested or balanced, but it was a niche I hadn't seen explored yet (and if it has, and I missed it, I do apologize).

Logosloki
2015-04-26, 05:58 AM
I'd like to see more class/sub-class feats.

I like Martial Adept (Battlemaster) and Magic Initiate (full casters) and Would like Tavern Brawler if they fixed unarmed attacks to be finesse at base and the feat granted unarmed attacks light. I could see Warlock (1 invocation, must meet the prerequisites and cannot choose an invocation that would augment eldritch blast), Druid (can wildshape for 1min, must finish a long rest before using this feature again), Ranger (animal companion, but it can't attack, so you get a pimpin' pet like a small monkey, parrot, cat, insect, etc.), Barbarian (Rage! once per long rest), Sorceror (choose one metamagic type, you also gain 2 sorcery points) as well as others.

More groups of weapon feats, especially a feat for natural weapons and unarmed attacks, variations on fighting styles, taking monster abilities and allowing PCs to have them (like actual pounce instead of what charger is trying to do). Also a general pass on current feats to make them more appealing (like giving unarmed attacks the light property for tavern brawler, Changing skilled to giving one new skill and a granting skill you already have expertise, Making weaponmaster only two weapons, you can reroll ones and twos of those weapons and those weapons also count as class weapons so you can do silly things like whip monk).

Padoodle
2015-04-27, 12:29 AM
Mother Cyst, Travel Devotion, Double Wand Wielder off the top of my head.

I also miss Skill Tricks.

AmbientRaven
2015-04-27, 11:51 AM
So, I came up with The Crusader Feat:
Benefit: When wielding a shield, the character may use any two handed weapon in one hand, but the damage die is reduced one level. 1d12/2d6 become 1d10, 1d10 becomes 1d8, etc. Reach is unaffected (so you can still use a halberd at 10').
Prerequisites: the character must be at least 6th level in Paladin and 3rd level in Fighter.

I thought of something like this, though it was
Monkey grip:
Versatile weapons can use their 2 handed damage die when wielded one handed
Requires: Str 18; Can not dual wield such a weapon

RATHSQUATCH
2015-04-28, 03:14 PM
Here's a few I slapped in the Homebrew section that I think the game is missing.

ANIMAL COMPANION
You gain the companionship of an animal of CR ½ or lower. Unlike a Ranger’s Companion, this animal is just like the basic version of the beast given in the Monster Manual. Should you companion be killed, you may select another after 24 hours.

HARD TO KILL
You can be extremely tough to kill and even attack one last time before falling out. When you gain this feat, you gain the following abilities:
• Your Constitution Score increases by 1.
• When you drop to 0 hit point, you may make a single melee attack as a reaction.
• You can make a Constitution saving throw (DC 15) to avoid instant death from taking massive damage. If you succeed, you are at 0 hit points instead. (If using massive damage rules)
• When you are at 0 hit points, you succeed on a death saving throw on a 10 or higher (instead of 11 or higher).

MARTIAL THROWING
Taking advantage of other’s momentum, you have mastered the style of throwing your opponents to the ground. You gain the following abilities when you gain this feat:
• Your Dexterity Throw increases by 1.
• If an opponent attacks you and misses, you can make a trip attack against that opponent as your reaction.
• If an opponent no more than one size larger than you begins their turn outside your reach and then moves within your reach during their turn, you can use your reaction to attempt a trip attack against that opponent.
• When you make a readied trip attack triggered by a melee attack against you, you can choose to force the target to use either their Strength or Dexterity (your choice) to resist your trip attempt. If the target used the Dash action before their attack, they are at disadvantage on the roll to resist.

SEAMANSHIP
You are at home on the sea. You gain the following abilities when you select this feat:
• You have advantage on all Dexterity checks made to control a sea vehicle.
• You gain advantage on all ability checks made to sail.
• You gain advantage on all Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks to keep your balance at sea.
• You do not need to make a check against concentration even with less than calm seas.

TACTICIAN
You have honed your tactical combat ability. You gain the following abilities when you select this feat:
• Your Wisdom Score increases by 1.
• If you hit a creature with an opportunity attack, you gain advantage on attacks against that target on your next turn.
• You can make one extra melee attack against one foe when you make an attack at advantage.
• If you choose to take a -10 to your Initiative roll, all attacks you make during your turn are at advantage.

MrStabby
2015-04-28, 05:53 PM
I thought of something like this, though it was
Monkey grip:
Versatile weapons can use their 2 handed damage die when wielded one handed
Requires: Str 18; Can not dual wield such a weapon

Even duel wielding under 5th seems pretty reasonable.