PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A undead cleric an turn/rebuke undead.

With a box
2015-04-24, 07:55 PM
1. a necropolitan cleric use turn undead.
2. you are closest undead from yourself.
(let's say you have turn chack over 16 (due to turn resistance))
3. now you are turned and try to run away from himself for 10 round.
4. because he obviously can't run away from himself, he is now cower.
5. and he use most hit dice he can turn (2d6+his cleric level+chr mod) on himself (2+his cleric level)
6. Is this resoultion true?

KillianHawkeye
2015-04-24, 08:52 PM
It might be true by RAW, but I think that the rules were written with certain assumptions and that one of those was that you cannot turn or rebuke oneself. You'll notice that only the section on bolstering mentions that you can do it to yourself if you are the proper type of creature.

GilesTheCleric
2015-04-25, 03:47 AM
Turning undead is a supernatural ability that a character can per- form as a standard action. It does not provoke attacks of opportunity. You must present your holy symbol to turn undead. Turning is considered an attack.

Attack Rolls: An attack roll represents your attempts to strike your opponent. It does not represent a single swing of the sword, for example. Rather, it indicates whether, over several attempts in the round, you managed to connect solidly.
Your attack roll is 1d20 + your attack bonus with the weapon you’re using. If the result is at least as high as the target’s AC, you hit and deal damage.

attack: Any of numerous actions intended to harm, disa- ble, or neutralize an opponent. The outcome of an attack is determined by an attack roll..

Until you consider yourself an opponent, I don't think you're allowed to attack yourself.

With a box
2015-04-25, 04:34 AM

Until you consider yourself an opponent, I don't think you're allowed to attack yourself.

at the same time, because it's result doesn't determined by attact roll, it can't be an attack.blinded:smallcool:

Maryring
2015-04-25, 04:38 AM
He just quoted explicitly that Turning Undead is considered an attack by the PHB.