PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Air Master questions: Strength, and other masteries?

Xuldarinar
2015-04-24, 11:22 PM
I've been looking over an archetype as of late and I wanted to get some opinions upon it. The Air Master (https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/super-genius-games---monk-archetypes/air-master) is a monk archetype that dumps a lot of its class features for spellcasting ability (it should be noted it doesn't list anywhere which ability score is used though errata states it -should- be Wisdom), being able to access virtually all spells of the Air descriptor.

1. How strong would you say it is? Also, anyplace I could look to see what all spells have this descriptor?

2. Would any descriptors function well with the archetype, taking the place of Air? Or perhaps a different basis for such a spell list such as by schools, domains, general theme, ect.?

Spore
2015-04-25, 07:53 AM
Borderline T3/T4. It IS very limited but again, air is everywhere. Plus it has Airwalk. While this is no Fly or Overland Flight, it IS a way to get flying. Kinda. But the casting is too limited per day. If it had adopted bard casting, I would say it's worth it. But I feel this archetype runs out of steam really really fast.

avr
2015-04-25, 08:20 AM
You're a monk. You lose basically all your offensive ability, gain mobility, possibly gain some attack spells (but not enough to carry your weight in combat), possibly gain some summoning spells (ditto) ... if you count mobility alone as a role you're tier 4. If not you're a solid tier 5 IMO.

Xuldarinar
2015-04-25, 10:08 AM
Well, in that case, perhaps there is a fix?

Change in spells known, and perhaps a change/expansion in spell options?

For instance, for Air Master one could include both all Air and Electricity spells. if one doesn't mind changing name then Fire spells really hold a lot of offensive capacity and no shortage of options. Earth and Acid does as well but to a much lesser extent, same going with Cold and Water. Mind-affecting and force both have an abundance of options. Evil provides some interesting options, as can any alignment descriptor. Shadow isn't sufficient in number alone really, so mixing with darkness or just selecting any of the Illusion school would do well. A Transmutation focused one could be a very solid melee combatant.

avr
2015-04-25, 11:42 AM
Well, in that case, perhaps there is a fix?

Change in spells known, and perhaps a change/expansion in spell options?

For instance, for Air Master one could include both all Air and Electricity spells. if one doesn't mind changing name then Fire spells really hold a lot of offensive capacity and no shortage of options. Earth and Acid does as well but to a much lesser extent, same going with Cold and Water. Mind-affecting and force both have an abundance of options. Evil provides some interesting options, as can any alignment descriptor. Shadow isn't sufficient in number alone really, so mixing with darkness or just selecting any of the Illusion school would do well. A Transmutation focused one could be a very solid melee combatant.
Expand the options to other descriptors or even schools and it improves, sure. The other problem is that it's a really painful casting system - poor endurance, limited & fixed spells known, no metamagic allowed, no class bonus to any spells. The simplest fix to this part would be to steal the spells per day & spells known table that PF uses for 6 level spont casters and use that instead. You could then benefit from items and feats to improve casting as others do.

IMO a better descriptor (or air + lightning) or the standard 6 level spontaneous caster tables would make them tier 4, in different ways. Both combined might squeeze it into the weak end of tier 3.

Edit: & for the purposes of verisimilitude I'd give them free Eschew Materials and probably add a few metamagic feats to those allowed to be selected as monk bonus feats. Silent & Still Spell at least.

Xuldarinar
2015-04-25, 01:05 PM
Well then, heres a good house rule for the Air Master

Spellcasting uses the Bard spells known and spells per day tables.
Spells are Divine but incur ASP as if arcane spells.
Spells all possess somatic components and cannot be stilled, but may otherwise be modified.
At 1st level, one picks either two descriptors, or one school of magic. They may learn any spell of their chosen school or descriptors from any spell list.
Casting ability can be any single mental ability score, chosen at 1st level.

Psyren
2015-04-25, 01:33 PM
I second adding Electricity because the number of combat-useful Air spells out there - particularly offensive ones - is sorely lacking, and this archetype appears to give up what little offense monks get. But for the fun of it, here's what they can get at each level:

1st level: Windy Escape, Alter Winds, and potentially the Breeze cantrip. Windy Escape is a decent defensive option that early on, but it doesn't help you with offense and you can burn through your uses of it quickly.
2nd level: SMII/SNAII (small air elementals), Gust of Wind, Whispering Wind, Elemental Speech, Fire Sneeze, Gusting Sphere, Steal Breath, Protection From Outsiders (air subtyped.) There's a little utility here but again, nothing that will actually win a fight, and your elementals are weak.
3rd level: SMIII/SNAIII (1d3 small air elementals), Sky Swim, Wind Wall, Cloak of Winds. Sky Swim grants a very, very limited and awkward form of flight, but it can get you off the ground at least. Your elementals should now be speed bumps at best.
4th level: SMIV/SNAIV (medium air elementals, 1d4+1 small air elementals), Air Walk, Lesser Planar Ally (air creatures only - basically more elementals), Ball Lightning, River of Wind, Absorbing Inhalation, Cloud Shape, Miasmatic Form. You're getting better spells now but your slower spell progression is starting to hurt you. LPA doesn't offer anything particularly helpful.
5th level: SMV/SNAV (large air elementals, 1d3 medium air elementals), Lesser Planar Binding (air creatures only - more elementals), Fickle Winds, Communal Air Walk, Wind Blades.
6th level: SMVI/SNAVI (huge air elementals, invisible stalkers), Planar Ally/Binding (you get djinni now), Wind Walk, Sirocco, Path of the Winds. The standout here is Planar Ally/Binding, with which you can attempt to land a Noble Djinn for three wishes as they have less than 12 HD. Wind Walk gives you a more respectable form of flight. The rest are meh.

Bucky
2015-04-25, 01:39 PM
You conspicuously left out Control Winds (Druid 5), which lets the Air Master get into the mass destruction business somewhere between level 13 and 15.

(E): Also, Gusting Sphere at 2, Air Geyser at 3 , Torrent of Elemental Rage at 6, and the unofficial Conjurative Fly variant that summons an Air elemental to carry him.

Psyren
2015-04-25, 03:18 PM
You conspicuously left out Control Winds (Druid 5), which lets the Air Master get into the mass destruction business somewhere between level 13 and 15.

(E): Also, Gusting Sphere at 2, Air Geyser at 3 , Torrent of Elemental Rage at 6, and the unofficial Conjurative Fly variant that summons an Air elemental to carry him.

I did miss Air Geyser, although it might as well be fort negates, as that partial save is pretty much useless. I also missed Control Winds, which is good, albeit late.

I did mention Gusting Sphere - which bull rushes at 14 Str, so is very likely to fail.

Torrent I never even heard of before. It appears to just be in a pre-PF adventure path, but I suppose it's okay to use. I probably wouldn't waste a spell known on it though.