PDA

View Full Version : Knight & Mages: Their Story.

Holy-hunter
2015-04-25, 01:36 AM
Chapter One
Mau-vee Bay

The ships long creaking buoyant voyage is soon to come to an end, for some none too soon. The sun has not yet risen, only the strong stars remain in the fading night sky and a heavy morning mist fills the cold air obscuring vision, but in the near approaching distance, the sillouet of land can finally be seen under a small burning beacon of light suspended in the air to guide weary ships.

Only a few hours now.
Even some of the sea-faring crew let out soft cheers of excitement or relieved gasps.

Mau-vee. A small simple wooden fishing town, it is as much built on raised stilts over the water as it is built on land. While geographically it is not too far from major cities, forests and mountains cut off the path creating a secluded bay that is easiest accessed by the ocean.

As the boat nears the guiding light house and the waking town begins to take shape, a small cluster of crew look out to the peak of the bay, off to the side of the town. There's a small jesting argument before what ever they thought they saw was dismissed and they begin cheerfully chanting a sea-shanty (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rfeEY71r9Vc).

It's Alexander Stark who will be the first to eye their concerns as the ship draws a little further near.
His eyes trained to notice such things.
There sitting just near the shorelines is a strange large long stretch of heavy mist. It's almost unnoticeable amongst its background but it is ever so slightly heavier and unwavering.

((While Redmond "Red" Cooper would not be able to see the anomaly yet if Alexander was to explain it to him, an array of different magical possibilities that could create such a thing would come to mind.)) The head crewman checks in with Redmond informing him if they carry on as is they will be in the dock within the hour. Being Red's smuggling ship he knows a few strong rowers could have the attached rowboat there in half the time.

Sigrid Stonewall
With the crew having grown accustomed to the giant, and her novelty having long worn off along with the crass jokes behind her back, they instead welcome her and ask for her assistance on the ships duties and especially with their melodies.

Durihrac "Du" Hast
Despite attempts and all the time together, the crew cannot drop the unease they feel around the Drow. It is a mix of fear, distrust, misunderstanding with some ill sailor omens.
Voices hush when he's around and eyes follow but for the most part they uphold simple pleasantries.

JNAProductions
2015-04-25, 07:40 AM
Ah, landfall. Thank you, Telren-make sure there are no mistakes in landing, as always. Red begins to pack up his books, readying himself for landfall.

HeWhoDevours
2015-04-25, 08:12 AM
Alexander stares at the mist for a short time. As another wave rocks the boat, he stumbles and feels his stomach lurch. Damn these waters. He awkwardly walks over to Redmond. Tell me sir, have you noticed the fog over there? The crew seemed to be worried.

JNAProductions
2015-04-25, 08:15 AM
Hm? He looks over.

The fog isn't natural. A amge created it. Telren! he shouts to his first mate. Warn the crew we're going into something dangerous. Don't give any signs, but make sure everyone is ready.

He turns back to face Alexander. You as well. Have your arms ready. And thank you, for the warning.

DoctorFaust
2015-04-25, 05:01 PM
Up on one of the masts of the ship, Du smiles and begins repacking his equipment into his bag. He drops down off of the boom and catching himself lightly in the ratlines. "Oh captain, my captain!" he calls, adopting an expression of mock reverence. "However shall we defend ourselves from the monstrous fog? Or are we expecting borders to complement it's dreadful clamminess?"

JNAProductions
2015-04-25, 05:33 PM
Shut up, and backtalk me again only if you want to be thrown overboard. There's magic in that fog, and I'd rather be cautious than dead. But by all means, you can be the first to enter it once we get to shore.

DoctorFaust
2015-04-25, 06:01 PM
Du's smile changes from jovial to predatory as the captain speaks. "Execellent! I'll go and prepare my firebombs and greatsword."

JNAProductions
2015-04-25, 07:46 PM
Do your best not to die. I'd hate to lose someone like you.

DoctorFaust
2015-04-25, 08:12 PM
"I'm do not believe there is much above that could slay me." Du replies, his tone light. "Not after some things that were done below."

JNAProductions
2015-04-25, 08:18 PM
A mighty fine specimen he could make. I wonder how drow fungus would work... A hive mind could be invaluable.

Excelent! We'll make landfall within the hour.

HeWhoDevours
2015-04-25, 08:33 PM
Of course sir. He draws his bow and heads to the front of the ship, keeping a watchful eye on the fog.

@DoctorFaust, Thanks for the explanation. It was confusing to see a completely different conversation.

DoctorFaust
2015-04-25, 08:40 PM
TLDR; tone of voice isn't translated well over the internet, edits were made to compensate for that.

To explain a bit further, JNA initially read my post (which I deleted and replaced, since it didn't make sense given his edits) as insulting/challenging the captain's authority, and make a post that was a good response to that. I then made a post where Du indirectly threatened to burn the ship if Red threatened him again, we exchanged a few PMs where we realized we had misunderstood the other's post, and went back and changed things so there wouldn't be intergroup tension right out of the gate. Unless I'm forgetting or overstating something, that's basically all that happened.

Holy-hunter
2015-04-25, 11:00 PM
On the otherside of the bay is a similar anomaly, reaching closer to shore and the town now visable, it's not hard to notice that the odd fog clouds are positioned strategically out of view from the town square wich is just starting to come to life with movement.
These obscuring mist clouds are big enough to conceal a boat just a bit smaller then the 'sea wind' you are in.

NineOfSpades
2015-04-25, 11:07 PM
Sigrid kept her thoughts to herself for the most part, as she sat on deck with her back resting against the last. Even seated as she was, the half giant was still eye-level with most of the crew.. She felt no compulsion to butt into the verbal sparring match between these men. But she could not help but chuckle at the boastful dark elf.

Sigrid stood to her full size, and strod towards the forward bow, to get a better look at this for that had everyone so vexed. "I've half a mind to just jump in and swim to shore, fog or no. Ive had more than my fill of the sea already."

HeWhoDevours
2015-04-26, 10:31 PM
The fog, why would someone position it like that? Alexander's eyes continue to scan the fog. Sir, is there any way to expedite our landing? We need to get to the port as quickly as possible.

JNAProductions
2015-04-27, 11:16 AM
Not without riskin the ship itself. It'll land within the hour-unless you have something to blow away the fog, that's all I can say.

Holy-hunter
2015-04-27, 11:50 PM
When the ship draws close enough that details can be made out through the mist that's when the first screams come echoing across the water. Dark clouds of smoke rise from various wooden houses illuminated by a soft orange glow.
Many moments of nothing but violent yells and screams pass before the clinging of metal on metal begins ringing out.

You will be docked along a jetty any minute now,
Heavy fog still hangs low but buildings can be seen through it.
The market place sits on stilts above the water and is straight ahead.
The fires seem concentrated around buildings to the rear right hand side of town, on land.
Panicked whimpers and blurr's of people in the fog seem to be congregating around a large solid building to the left.
The odd fog clouds are on the curving shoreline to the immediate right or left, away from the commotion.

An unnatural heavy fog, the sudden fires, screams and sounds of fighting have the whole town in a panic, confused, fearful and in a sense of dooming urgency they frantically try to piece it all together.

'Thud' a small harpoon slams into the mast of the ship.
Sitting on the opposite jetty a man (maybe more) quickly drops behind some crates and barrels.

DoctorFaust
2015-05-03, 02:17 PM
Du walks over to the harpoon, flicks it once, pulls it out of the mast, and attempts to throw it back at the docks.

Just to be on the safe side, I'm going to roll for this. Dark Elf Soldier (4d6) since it involves using weapons, and strength (10d6).

[roll0]