PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Weapon Finesse and Thrown weapons

Thatwarforged
2015-04-25, 02:23 AM
This may seem stupid to some of you but if I throw a dagger does it still count as a light weapon for Weapon finesse and Deadly agility?

Edit: I dun gone screwed up and originally wrote Deadly accuracy when I meant Deadly agility.

Chronikoce
2015-04-25, 02:32 AM
Thrown weapons are ranged attacks so they already resolve using bab+Dex. Finesse is not needed. I have to look up deadly accuracy, don't recall the details there.

deuxhero
2015-04-25, 02:33 AM
Deadly Accuracy is a third party feat, but it explicitly works with throwing (ranged weapon attack).

Thatwarforged
2015-04-25, 02:34 AM
Thrown weapons are ranged attacks so they already resolve using bab+Dex. Finesse is not needed. I have to look up deadly accuracy, don't recall the details there.

Deadly accuracy is from Dreamscarred press' Path of War which allows you to use you Dex to damage with finesse weapons. That's the main reason I want to know.

Chronikoce
2015-04-25, 02:35 AM
Assuming the deadly accuracy feat that is in pathfinder (I think I was reading a third party one) is the one you're thinking of, it specifically calls out ranged weapons as usable.

Thatwarforged
2015-04-25, 02:37 AM
I dun gone screwed up I meant Deadly agility, not Deadly accuracy...

Chronikoce
2015-04-25, 02:38 AM
Deadly accuracy is from Dreamscarred press' Path of War which allows you to use you Dex to damage with finesse weapons. That's the main reason I want to know.

I was looking at this one http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/3rd-party-feats/rogue-genius-games/combat-feats/deadly-accuracy-combat

So don't know the answer regarding the feat you're actually referring to.

Chronikoce
2015-04-25, 02:42 AM
Hmm that is a tough call. It doesn't specifically call out melee attacks, just says light weapon or one which utilizes finesse. The issue is that I think finesse does not technically apply to thrown weapons since they already use Dex to attack. If it's a dagger that your throwing though it is still light so I think that Means it would apply.

I'll have to look and see if they define wielding a weapon in such a way that is exclusive to melee.

That being said, depending on the optimization level of your game I don't think it would cause any problems to allow this feat to work for thrown daggers and such.

--Edit
After a quick search I don't see any reason why you could not apply deadly agility to thrown. Daggers are light, you're fighting with a dagger that you wield. You just happen to do so by throwing it rather than holding it.

Thatwarforged
2015-04-25, 02:46 AM
Hmm that is a tough call. It doesn't specifically call out melee attacks, just says light weapon or one which utilizes finesse. The issue is that I think finesse does not technically apply to thrown weapons since they already use Dex to attack. If it's a dagger that your throwing though it is still light so I think that Means it would apply.

I'll have to look and see if they define wielding a weapon in such a way that is exclusive to melee.

That being said, depending on the optimization level of your game I don't think it would cause any problems to allow this feat to work for thrown daggers and such.

--Edit
After a quick search I don't see any reason why you could not apply deadly agility to thrown. Daggers are light, you're fighting with a dagger that you wield. You just happen to do so by throwing it rather than holding it.

Thanks this is my exact concerns, that's why I'm asking the playground. It is just causing me a headache and trying to find out if it works RAW, or if I'm just interpreting wrong.

--Edit
Thanks that's what I was thinking but wanted to make sure that I was not interpreting it to badly, and I had enough of a point that the GM did not just reject it flat out.

Chronikoce
2015-04-25, 02:54 AM
No problem. I think you hit the issue on the head with raw. The language used in the feat does not specific an attack roll but opts instead to use the never defined (that I can find) term wielding.

The word order seems to indicate that for this to apply you must be wielding the weapon at the time damage is rolled.

I'll have to stick around and see what others think though for a raw answer.

Common sense indicates that a thrown weapon is no longer wielded by the thrower so the feat would not apply.

But as far as DM perspective goes, I would allow my players to use this feat without a second thought.

deuxhero
2015-04-26, 08:10 PM
I think one of the Paizo staff said "wielding" meant being able to make attacks with it right away.