PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Roll?

Machete
2007-04-16, 06:12 PM
By that I mean, travel.

In your current dnd game games, what does your party use to get around? Airship? A junk? A wagon? Horseback? On the back of big T? Or Pelor forbid, Shank's Mare(foot)?

I was just curious if there are any odd vehices out there getting put to use or if adventurers with swords whose values are equivalent to a small town are still walking around.

Morgan_Scott82
2007-04-16, 06:13 PM
Strictly by LPC (Acronym stands for Leather Personel carrier, Army slang for boots)

DaMullet
2007-04-16, 06:21 PM
My Sorcerer casts himself a Tenser's Disk, which can carry 800 pounds, seeing as that's his level.

Everyone else piles on, and my sorcerer rides on his elemental familiar.

In the game that I DM, everyone walks, but the arcane caster in that campaign is a bard, so it's understandable.

Talya
2007-04-16, 06:26 PM
Feet, horses, and Teleport Spells.

asqwasqw
2007-04-16, 06:30 PM
Feet, mounts (like a camel).

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-16, 06:31 PM
Teleport. And Overland Flight while the shmucks in my party walk or ride horsies.

Lòkki Gallansbayne
2007-04-16, 06:33 PM
Primarily feet, although once we did come into possession of a caravan (on the Grey Wastes of Hades - the original owners couldn't be bothered with it any more and gave it up) that ended up being pulled across the plane by the half-orc barbarian, the dwarf monk and druid wildshaped into a bear.

More recently we got to travel aboard a huge airship capable of interplanar travel. Which was nice.

Dhavaer
2007-04-16, 06:36 PM
I'm looking forward to getting a Winter Wolf as an improved familiar. Better than a warhorse.

Hallavast
2007-04-16, 06:44 PM
Since my favorite character hit level 13 it's usually teleports or phantom steeds for the party. Perhaps this should be a poll?

the_tick_rules
2007-04-16, 06:50 PM
my current character is a monk, i'm faster than horses.

Galathir
2007-04-16, 07:14 PM
Our level +/- 13 party generally uses teleport, often to the DM's dismay. We are also keen on "phantom steed" and "shadow walk" although our monk often just runs.

Other lower level parties generally use light warhorses if they can be afforded or just walk.

Jade_Tarem
2007-04-16, 07:16 PM
My party almost always walks until they can teleport, although they ride ships overseas to areas they've never been to and can't scry.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-04-16, 07:19 PM
In one of the games I DM my players go by dogsled (well, all but one, he has an arctic horse).

Goff
2007-04-16, 07:29 PM
http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_pictures/compdiff/foot.jpg

Variable Arcana
2007-04-16, 07:49 PM
Phantom Steeds all around (160 miles in eight hours? Yes, please.), or just Mounts when we don't want to draw as much attention.

Teleport, perhaps, when my wizard levels again.

lacesmcawesome
2007-04-16, 08:32 PM
we walk.

but right now, we're playing an eberron campaign and we're in the city of towers, and will be for a LONG time, if my DM hints accurately, so far travel isn't a big deal... except upwards.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-16, 08:33 PM
depends on the game and the level/scope of the game. If its a city game we walk or ride animals/creatures....my mount right now is a large dragonfly, and they just made the offical stats for it in Dragon. If its a large game across multiple lands, teleport at high levels, ships across seas, and animals for over land travel

Counterpower
2007-04-16, 08:42 PM
Right now? All of the different cheap ways of getting across Eberron. Right now, they're on the Golden Dragon from the published adventure Voyage of the Golden Dragon, which is an airship that's simply gigantic. And it's an Eberron airship, wich means that it's got the really cool fire ring. Later, they might have to use the lightning rail. Eventually (read as "when the party gains 6 levels") they'll have a windwright captain at level 2 and thus have their own airship.

storybookknight
2007-04-16, 09:11 PM
Airship. Our party is currently aboard the Hammadeen, a smaller airship built for speed rather than cargo capacity.

That said, of the people in the party when not on the airship, I think only one walks. One has a fly speed from a custom PrC, one manifests Overland Flight all day, one rides a paladin mount, one rides a dragon, and one rides a nightmare.

Why yes, we are high level. Why do you ask?

Tharivol123
2007-04-16, 11:11 PM
Big covered wagon pulled by a large team of horses. Large enough for a group of ten people and equipment to fit comfortable, plus the canvas cover could be removed for battle.
When the campaign first started, I traveled by canoe until the entire party met up.

hanseislanson
2007-04-16, 11:15 PM
dragon, giant hulking golden dragon, that or my priestess wife teleports us everywhere.

Hazkali
2007-04-17, 05:58 AM
Airship. My current campaign is loosely based on a cross between Firefly and Star Wars with the PCs on the losing side of a massive war, and part of a rebellion, travelling on their trusty, battered airship.

Zincorium
2007-04-17, 06:02 AM
Horse.

A very traumitized, scarred horse.

The fact that my dwarven battlerager cannot be convinced to ride something more to his stature and temperament only prolongs it's ordeal.

Currently the druid is attempting to find somewhere that I can't simply track it down again (scent, track, and maxed out survival).

Ninja Chocobo
2007-04-17, 07:35 AM
I've promised my players an Airship. I may regret this.

Khantalas
2007-04-17, 07:41 AM
Teleport, Flight, Swimming, Super-Speed, Swinging.

Seriously, I pity heroes who do not have at least two of those powers. They will have to walk all the way to Europe to fight the time-traveling Nazi menace after they save New York from winged space alien monkey ghost robot zombies.

Ranis
2007-04-17, 08:07 AM
I fly. It's not my fault everyone else in the party doesn't have wings. I get to the town ahead of time then let them catch up while I research new spells.

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-04-17, 08:17 AM
Wind-jammer toboggans in my more icy lands; tame pseudo-bears pulling carts most places, or giant vermin; airships, occasionally; water-ships, definitely.

Reinboom
2007-04-17, 08:32 AM
In the campaign we just finished, we all traveled by airships, sorta.
Instead of travelling in one, I possessed it and operating the mechanics to making it fly.