PDA

View Full Version : Wis-increasing template

Tiri
2015-04-25, 08:03 AM
Are there and LA +0/+1 templates that give a bonus to Wisdom? Also, please only templates applicable to humans.

Necroticplague
2015-04-25, 08:30 AM
Feral boosts wisdom (among other benefits), is La +1, and can be applied to humanoids.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-04-25, 09:27 AM
A very, very cheesy option is to use the Symbiotic Creature template to gain the wisdom score of a tiny creature, such as a hawk, owl, raven, toad or bat (all +4 wis), with the feral template (+2 wis). The downside: your intelligence score will be 3, or 1 if the DM rules that you can be 1 int as a symbiotic humanoid.

ShurikVch
2015-04-25, 09:33 AM
Ghoulish and Ghastly templates from Dragon Compendium - each give +4 Wis, and, because no LA mentioned, technically LA +0

Same thing about the Scion of Kyuss (Dr#321) and Favored Spawn of Kyuss (Dr#336), except only +2 Wis

Nether Hound (Dr#322) give +2 Wis, but it's template for undead

Tiri
2015-04-25, 09:34 AM
I think Feral might be a bit much for my DM to allow, since it seems a bit overpowered and he is very careful about that sort of thing, but I'll try convincing him. Symbiotic is too cheesy to even consider and the DM also dislikes non-WoTC content and I'm already stuck with a human, so no to those.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-04-25, 09:41 AM
Ghoulish and Ghastly templates from Dragon Compendium - each give +4 Wis, and, because no LA mentioned, technically LA +0

Same thing about the Scion of Kyuss (Dr#321) and Favored Spawn of Kyuss (Dr#336), except only +2 Wis

Unlisted LA means unplayable by PCs.

ShurikVch
2015-04-25, 10:06 AM
Unlisted LA means unplayable by PCs. Not "LA: -"
Not listed at all. Which mean "same". (Otherwise, when template doesn't mention, say, speed, will you presume templated creature is immobile?)

ZamielVanWeber
2015-04-25, 10:10 AM
Not "LA: -"
Not listed at all. Which mean "same". (Otherwise, when template doesn't mention, say, speed, will you presume templated creature is immobile?)

Monsters suitable for play have a level adjustment given in their statistics.
No listed level adjustment means they are not suitable for play (AKA use by PCs).

Necroticplague
2015-04-25, 10:13 AM
Unlisted LA means unplayable by PCs.

Only for races. For templates, any non-listed traits are "same as the base creature".

A template’s description provides a set of instructions for altering an existing creature, known as the base creature. The changes that a template might cause to each line of a creature’s statistics block are discussed below. Generally, if a template does not cause a change to a certain statistic, that entry is missing from the template description. For clarity, the entry for a statistic or attribute that is not changed is sometimes given as "Same as the base creature."

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-04-25, 10:39 AM
Half-Minotaur give +2 Wis, and LA +1

No, Half-Minotaur in Dragon issue 313 does not give any bonus or penalty at all to Wis. The online version is not accurate.

ShurikVch
2015-04-25, 10:46 AM
No, Half-Minotaur in Dragon issue 313 does not give any bonus or penalty at all to Wis. The online version is not accurate.My bad :smallfrown:
Removed it

atemu1234
2015-04-25, 09:33 PM
No listed level adjustment means they are not suitable for play (AKA use by PCs).

True, but SRD also says unmentioned stats in a template stay the same, which means if it is 3.5 and has no listed change, it stays the same, in this case that of the base creature.

GilesTheCleric
2015-04-25, 11:45 PM
Here's a bunch of templates that increase wisdom; many will not be +1 or +0, though. Some will also be from non-official Dragonlance books (IE not the DCS).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Gyi6AUQVnizRmO_gOZrLhnNtydMyT_RsdqbDu1QKW5k/edit?usp=sharing

ShurikVch
2015-04-26, 09:14 AM
In Faerūn, afflicted lycanthropes are only +1 LA, but still get +2 Wis

Bhu
2015-04-28, 12:18 AM
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=12219.0 Template Handbook here. I have the templates separate out my LA, what Type they can be applied to, and attribute bonuses/penalties (among other things) Cross referencing the lists should get you something.

Urpriest
2015-04-28, 11:04 AM
In Faerūn, afflicted lycanthropes are only +1 LA, but still get +2 Wis

Source? The only sources I'm aware of about FR lycanthropes are 3.0, and 3.0 lycanthropes are more dubious than 3.0 psionics.

ShurikVch
2015-04-28, 11:23 AM
Source? The only sources I'm aware of about FR lycanthropes are 3.0, and 3.0 lycanthropes are more dubious than 3.0 psionics.Races of Faerūn, Chapter 9: Minor Races, Lycanthropes

Urpriest
2015-04-28, 02:10 PM
Races of Faerūn, Chapter 9: Minor Races, Lycanthropes

Weird! It's replicated in two places, so it's unlikely to be a typo, but I can't see any discussion of why they thought the change was appropriate. Definitely handy to know anyway.

torrasque666
2015-04-28, 02:19 PM
Weird! It's replicated in two places, so it's unlikely to be a typo, but I can't see any discussion of why they thought the change was appropriate. Definitely handy to know anyway.
Probably because they finally realized that having to take all those damn RHD slaughtered any chance of having a half-decent character.

Urpriest
2015-04-28, 03:18 PM
Probably because they finally realized that having to take all those damn RHD slaughtered any chance of having a half-decent character.

I kind of wish when they had those sorts of realizations they would bother to do errata.

animewatcha
2015-04-28, 07:19 PM
Yeah even if afflicted instead of natural, still gotta add the HD. Not to mention having to act new alignment, potential new equipment, etc.

Thurbane
2015-04-28, 07:25 PM
Races of Faerūn, Chapter 9: Minor Races, Lycanthropes

Ah, good old FR, where the power level of everything is kicked up a notch, just because. :smalltongue: