PDA

View Full Version : [PoW/Akashic Mysteries] The Emperor & Radiant Sun: An Akashic Initiator & Discipline

AGrinningCat
2015-04-25, 06:29 PM
Forward: Hello! You may be wondering — An Akashic Initiator? isn’t this really close to the Pharaoh?

In truth, it is. Back when the Pharaoh was first released (When it was only partly finished, with Empty Pyramid going only up to 7th level), I had gotten into a game for Reign of Winter, and wanted to run the Pharaoh in it. While the GM was open to Path of War/Akashic Mysteries, he didn’t want an incomplete class, and after a few minutes of discussion, he allowed me to make a class similar to it, except complete, and allow me to run it in his game.

Unfortunately, it never kicked off — There were relationship issues between the GM and two of his players, and the game imploded before it could actually start. The work I put into the then named Not!Pharaoh fell off to the side, and I had mostly forgotten about it until the Pharaoh was re-released for play testing. Upon review and testing of the Pharaoh, I had found myself unhappy with the class, and my mind turned back to the class I had started on for the previous game. I was recently spurned into action when I found out that one could submit stuff to Dreamscarred, and with that, I set out to finish the newly christened Emperor into what you’ll see below.

The Emperor is a redesign of the Pharaoh’s core idea — A ruler who rules from the front line; someone closer to Alexander the Great or King Arthur than King Louis XVI. Rather than pushing myself into a single theme (Egyptian-ruler), I decided to take a more open route for the character. It is a primary initiator class(With maneuver growth comparable to the Warder), secondary Akashic (With the smallest veil list out of the 3 classes and the slowest growth for binds), with a function of supporting his allies through buffs and maneuvers.

The maneuvers he has access to include Golden Lion, but like the Pharaoh, I was not excited about Empty Pyramid, specifically it and it’s interaction with Essence. The new discipline, Radiant Sun, was designed before the Emperor was completed, but was gone into with the idea of functioning harmoniously with Akashic rules and Initiator rules together, as well as being a support-focused Discipline, and capable of standing without the Emperor class. As a discipline, I have also included supporting feats, style feats, and a Pathwalker path for Radiant Sun.

With the foreword out of the way, I’ll present to you a combined 25+ pages of The Emperor class and Radiant Sun.

Emperor: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OpBemHD88TETQMPDIJAN6tg3X5Xgk19Jwecc5mqGzYA/edit?usp=sharing
Radiant Sun: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JhypISX026y-OylKN13TPHDvAGSXgtYV1urz8rjHs9o/edit?usp=sharing

Ancalidormis
2015-04-26, 06:33 PM
Give me some time to pour over this.

this actually looks pretty good... the designers from Dreamscarred Press should check this out.

Xzoltar
2015-04-26, 07:25 PM
Both the class and the Discipline are really nice from flavor to mechanics. That's not usually the type of Character I play, but seem fun enough for me to wanna try it someday even if only as a Boss and not as a player

What does that mean ? : Chakra Bind (Neck): [D12, G14, V14, E14]

AGrinningCat
2015-04-27, 12:33 AM
Give me some time to pour over this.

this actually looks pretty good... the designers from Dreamscarred Press should check this out.
It is a lot of pages! If you think they should look at it, give them a holler!

Both the class and the Discipline are really nice from flavor to mechanics. That's not usually the type of Character I play, but seem fun enough for me to wanna try it someday even if only as a Boss and not as a player

What does that mean ? : Chakra Bind (Neck): [D12, G14, V14, E14]

Chakra bind (Neck) is when you have access to that bind slot, but it's different for every class, which is what the second half notates. For the Emperor, Vizer, and Guru, it comes at 14th, while Daevic gets the bind slot at 12th. Here's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?409134-Dreamscarred-Press-Presents-Akashic-Mysteries-Thread-2&highlight=Akashic) the official documents for the Vizer, Guru, Daevic, and Pharaoh.

I do thank y'all for replying and asking questions! I live out on the west coast so my replies might be a bit later in the evening, but I'll try to reply to every question!

CashanDraven
2015-04-27, 09:17 PM
Mandatory awesome thread bump.