PDA

View Full Version : Do you know any fellow playgrounders irl?

danzibr
2015-04-25, 07:09 PM
Really simple question. I'm not asking who knows whom, and don't want details of people in real life, and am not looking to meet people in real life. I read recently someone mentioning offhandedly that he/she knew a fellow playgrounder. I happen to know everyone else only by their avatars/screen names/signatures/etc.

Actually, I think *maybe* my wife made an account several years ago, but I don't think that counts (I mean, she's not an active member by any meaning of the words).

Haruki-kun
2015-04-25, 10:38 PM
A few of my friends made accounts waaaaaay back when, but they never really got into it. I have met several Playgrounders IRL, though, but that was people I met through the site and in meatspace later.

Coidzor
2015-04-26, 01:14 AM
Alas, every time I've been previously able to make it to a meetup something has come up near the last minute to prevent my attendance. I've made the transition to social media with a few other playgrounders, but have yet to meet any of them in person.

Although there was one guy I met at the community college I went to for a bit who dated a friend of mine for a bit who I found out was a user on here though I don't know if he's still active or not and I lost touch with him IRL years ago.

Anarion
2015-04-26, 02:18 AM
Yes, I've met a few.

Serpentine
2015-04-26, 05:51 AM
Yep, a bunch. When I went to the UK I depended on Playgrounders for places to stay (yay KuReshtin), company, a job (shout-out to Qwaz), and for a rather distressing period, my food and pocket money (you're the best, Totally Guy <3). I went on a date with one Playgrounder, not-dates with a bunch of others, and went on a rather wonderful not-honeymoon with another (miss you, Thufir <3).

Back in Australia, I met some pretty great people in our meet-up years ago, some of whom I'm still in contact with. I've hosted a couple of Playgrounders at my home. I introduced a couple to the larp club I was a part of - hung out with one of them today (yo, BlackPantsGuy). Introduced a couple of IRL friends to the Playground, too, though for the most part they haven't stuck.

A while ago I organised a bunch of Playgrounders to put together a package of Christmas and birthday presents for a Playgrounder who was struggling, and more recently a bunch of 'em contributed to get me a fancypants dress I wanted.

All in all, the lines between my IRL life and my Playground life is pretty durn blurry.

Castaras
2015-04-26, 09:37 AM
Counting people I know only in meatspace, I've met a load of UK playgrounders and a continental European and an Australian. Also met a couple of people who I found out were playgrounders when I went to university.

Also, my parents and little brother have accounts, although only Dad posted lots. Hi Lensman!

Rain Dragon
2015-04-26, 09:52 AM
One of my friends recommended I make an account, so yes. I can't remember why now I think about it.

I've met a couple of people through the Playground and discovered a person or two I already knew irl were also on the forums as well.

The Great Wyrm
2015-04-26, 10:11 AM
Some of my friends irl have accounts.

Gopher Wizard
2015-04-26, 09:58 PM
Not yet, but I'm hoping someday!

BWR
2015-04-27, 12:04 AM
My girlfriend made an account years ago but didn't really do anything with it until I started hanging here. She still doesn't do much with it. A couple of other people I know have made accounts one time or another but I'm pretty sure they don't use them.

Serpentine
2015-04-27, 04:07 AM
Oh yeah, also, I was introduced to the forum by my ex who was a member way back. I got y'all in the divorce.

Spanish_Paladin
2015-04-27, 07:24 AM
I'd like very much to meet irl another playgrounders, but as far as i know there is no meetups in Spain or near it. :smallfrown:

Serpentine
2015-04-27, 07:42 AM
I'd like very much to meet irl another playgrounders, but as far as i know there is no meetups in Spain or near it. :smallfrown:
You'd have to travel less distance to get to the UK meet up than some of the Strayans travelled to get to the Strayan one :smalltongue:

Bulldog Psion
2015-04-27, 07:47 AM
No, but it might be interesting.

Spanish_Paladin
2015-04-27, 08:00 AM
You'd have to travel less distance to get to the UK meet up than some of the Strayans travelled to get to the Strayan one :smalltongue:

That..... is a good point :smallbiggrin:

If my financial status improve i'll think go to next uk meetup :smallsmile:

KuReshtin
2015-04-27, 08:18 AM
I know a bunch of playgrounders irl, and there are soem that I've met once or twice at meetups here in the UK. I am one of the original UK Playgrounders that met up in Leeds all those years ago, and alongside Archonic Energy I believe I've been to most meetups. I think i've missed 4 or 5 of them out of 16.
I had Serpentine stay on my couch for a couple of months a while back (is that two years ago now?), and a couple of my friends from before I joined also post now and then (Gnomvid and Shurz) and one of my friends that I met through the lcal gaming shop turned out to have an ccount, although he doedn't post a whole lot (Sinderman).

Planning on meeting a bunch more playgrounders this summer as I'm attending the Trogland meetup in Tennessee

Serpentine
2015-04-27, 08:29 AM
Three years, now! Tell Sinderman I say hi, and the game shop peoples.

Thufir
2015-04-27, 09:04 AM
Oh yeah, also, I was introduced to the forum by my ex who was a member way back. I got y'all in the divorce.

Pretty good deal for you, that.

I know a bunch of playgrounders irl, and there are some that I've met once or twice at meetups here in the UK. I am one of the original UK Playgrounders that met up in Leeds all those years ago, and alongside Archonic Energy I believe I've been to most meetups. I think i've missed 4 or 5 of them out of 16.

If you've missed five you're tied with me, the 6th UK Meetup was my first and I haven't missed one since.

I've met all the Playgrounders who've come to meetups I was at, plus a couple extra while travelling round the country with Serp. Also I was responsible for introducing Tasroth to the forums, and thus indirectly responsible for Qwaz as well. Oh, and Hayshade. Plus I brought some IRL friends to a meetup, and one of them signed up and made one post before vanishing, while another I think considered signing up but then didn't.

Tyndmyr
2015-04-27, 01:01 PM
I've met a fair few at meetups, and one or two incidentally(that I know of). You hang out in roleplaying circles much, and you'll run into others that read the comic, at minimum, and some of those are forumites.

Hiro Protagonest
2015-04-27, 03:01 PM
Uh, I learned about the site through friends, and I know they visit the forums, not just read the comic, but I don't know if they have accounts or who they'd be...

Amiria
2015-04-28, 01:44 AM
I know just two people from here irl. The friend who showed me OotS and who joined the forums about the same time as me and someone I got to know in a metal music thread here who I later met a few times at Wacken Open Air and elsewhere.

Archonic Energy
2015-04-28, 03:59 AM
I can name one meeting neither of you went to...

I may know a playgrounder or 2.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-04-28, 09:25 AM
Yep! I've met several of the players in my pbp games and have met a few others in real life too.

Speaking of which, does anyone live in Columbus, Ohio?

Teddy
2015-04-28, 05:15 PM
Well, I did a trip around the world all to meet up with playgrounders last summer, so I guess yes, but none of these are people I knew before. I know them a lot better now after I've met up with them, though... http://i.imgur.com/jLvmsd9.png

Mauve Shirt
2015-04-28, 09:00 PM
I have met many here, and I also have IRL non-playground friends with accounts.

JustPlayItLoud
2015-04-29, 10:44 PM
The only other members I've met were people I knew personally before any of us were members here. In general there don't appear to be many New Mexican playgrounders. Aside from the two I previously mentioned I only know of Talakeal, who leaves relatively far from Albuquerque but I don't know where.

Jeff the Green
2015-04-29, 10:59 PM
My brother has an account, though I don't know his user name or how often he's on.

5a Violista
2015-04-30, 12:45 AM
I almost met someone! In the library, the unique background color of this site caught my eye, and then I saw the person on the computer browsing through the forums.

I started walking across the room towards him, to introduce myself and ask his username when one of my friends jumped out at me from a hallway and distracted me by asking me about anatomy and 3D printers. After the conversation ended, I looked back and the computer seat was empty and the guy was gone. (Wavy dark hair, halfway down neck. Wearing hat. Regrettably generic, but does this sound like anyone?)

Besides that, I know a few playgrounders who live only a couple hours away. At the moment, however, I don't feel like I know them well enough to say out of the blue "Hey, you live like an hour or two away from me, can I get your address and visit?" because that is a little weird to ask someone you hardly know. Maybe I should post in the same threads as them more often, and talk to them through posts more.

The only other person I know who gets on this site is my brother, but he only reads the comics and not the forum.

Krade
2015-04-30, 05:21 PM
I've met lots, as well. First time was at GenCon Indy '07. Hanging out in a packed hotel room with IIRC, Zeb, Alarra, ZombieRockStar, Phoekun, Amotis, Indurain, Renegade Paladin, Reina and myself. Apologies if I missed anyone (especially since I remembered people who aren't really around anymore). It was a blast. I've been going to the Trogland Meetup in Tennessee every year since along with most (if not all) of the meetups on the East side of the US.

I've also met tyckspoon through here in '09 when we drove to the Trogland Meetup. Funny story: a couple years ago he started dating a girl who was friends with people I already knew (one of whom I've known literally my whole life). So the likelihood of us meeting outside of the forum eventually was actually pretty good.

Remmirath
2015-04-30, 06:10 PM
As far as I know, the only person I know in real life who has an account here is my younger brother. If anybody else I know has one, they've never mentioned it.

Serpentine
2015-05-01, 04:20 AM
The number of Playgrounder who know people I know irl blows my mind...

banjo1985
2015-05-01, 04:33 AM
I went to a UK meet-up....what, seven years ago now? Jeez. Anyhow, I met a load of cool playgrounders there, a few of whom are still active, Ku and Cassie being two of them who most readily spring to mind.

My wife also had an account at one point, and a friend of mine briefly joined but hasn't been active in years.

Nai_Calus
2015-05-01, 05:06 AM
I've met a few forumites at Gen Con. Roomed with a couple at Gen Con '12, went to one of the meetups at Gen Con(I think '11? Schedule conflicted every time but once), met a PbP DM of mine(and wish I hadn't, but) a few times there.

AtlanteanTroll
2015-05-02, 04:19 PM
I got one of my IRL friends to join, but he's not very active.

Like Coidzor, I'm friends with several Playgrounders on social media. Almost met one last summer, but some stuff happened and that fell apart. Might meet up with some this summer, but I've got little interest in going to an organized, open invite meet-up.

Ravens_cry
2015-05-02, 05:52 PM
Not that I know of. For all I know, I might, but I keep my online life and meat space pretty separate, with the exception of facebook.

Oddman80
2015-05-05, 10:19 PM
My brother-in-law just joined a few days ago.

RabbitHoleLost
2015-05-06, 04:05 AM
Met a whole bunch of Playgrounders through Trogland meetup.
I've dated a handful
I went to meet cynical avocado for lunch once and then he came to visit for a few days last summer

Ummm. Terumitsu (mostly only found in FFRP) is here because of me. When I joined 8 years ago, we were dating and I bothered 'em into joining up

themaque
2015-05-07, 06:47 AM
One of my old high school buddies is pretty active here. But that's it as far as I know. but with a level of anonymity, I could be talking to my best friend or worst enemy and not know it.

Artemis97
2015-05-10, 08:34 PM
Yeppers. A friend introduced me to the site, and I discovered a college friend of mine is also a playgrounder. I'm also dating Destro Yersul, but we met through Giant, so does that count?

Kid Jake
2015-05-11, 02:19 AM
I scrape by as a freelance DM, so I run into Playgrounders as clients from time to time. I can also think of three or four RL friends who hang around the boards, though a couple only do it because they're vain and know I mention them occasionally.

Archonic Energy
2015-05-11, 11:22 AM
I went to a UK meet-up....what, seven years ago now? Jeez. Anyhow, I met a load of cool playgrounders there, a few of whom are still active, Ku and Cassie being two of them who most readily spring to mind.

My wife also had an account at one point, and a friend of mine briefly joined but hasn't been active in years.

did you want to come to another one?
*shamless UKitP-meet thread plug*

Velaryon
2015-05-17, 12:47 PM
One good friend/gaming buddy of mine posts here, sometimes more frequently than I do. As far as I know, he pretty much sticks to the roleplaying and homebrew sections though, whereas I bounce between Friendly Banter, Media Discussions, Roleplaying Games, and the OotS section, though with less frequency. As a result we don't actually interact on the boards much.

Legato Endless
2015-05-17, 01:03 PM
Hmm, seems to swing between feast or famine. Either you know quite a few, or you know next to none and the ones you do know were already associated with you.

I knew one person, a close friend of another friend of mine who I discovered when I saw him posting during a lull at an RP. He's not really one any more though since higher education took over so it's functionally none now.

Edit: Actually, I have like, a dozen friends who read the strip. They just aren't motivated in the slightest to actually join the forum.

I wouldn't mind doing a meet up, but there aren't a lot of other Minnesotans as far as I know. (anyone going to Convergence this year? Anyone? Yeah.)

You UK people with your Queen and your common wealth and your tiny island that concentrates your population and makes meeting up easy. Not envious, not envious at all.

TechnOkami
2015-05-17, 03:36 PM
Let's see...

Highschool acquaintance/fellow tabletop RPG player Sindri Suncatcher was the person who first introduced me to the site.

I had a friend of mine who I dragged onto here to play in a God Game with me (Mr. Chair). He doesn't use the forums anymore, but 'twas fun while it lasted.

I've met TFT/TheFieryTower and MathMage IRL through a meet up we had a while back.

Um... there's a whole fleet of people over on the East Coast (USA) whom I know and would one day like to meet irl, and there are several people whom I know live near-ish my neck of the woods (TheDarkDM, Anarion, Old Military Vet Guy Whose Username I Forget).

Aaaaaaaaand yeah.

Serpentine
2015-05-18, 07:56 AM
You UK people with your Queen and your common wealth and your tiny island that concentrates your population and makes meeting up easy. Not envious, not envious at all.
As an Australian: lol.

(I still think we should have a meet-up at Uluru)

RoyVG
2015-05-19, 01:51 AM
My two best friends are pretty active around the EMPIRE game here on the forums, one of which is the creator of it. I don't play it myself though. Besides them I don't know anyone here irl.

Oxe
2015-05-19, 11:11 AM
I know a bunch of playgrounders irl, and there are soem that I've met once or twice at meetups here in the UK. I am one of the original UK Playgrounders that met up in Leeds all those years ago, and alongside Archonic Energy I believe I've been to most meetups. I think i've missed 4 or 5 of them out of 16.
I had Serpentine stay on my couch for a couple of months a while back (is that two years ago now?), and a couple of my friends from before I joined also post now and then (Gnomvid and Shurz) and one of my friends that I met through the lcal gaming shop turned out to have an ccount, although he doedn't post a whole lot (Sinderman).

Planning on meeting a bunch more playgrounders this summer as I'm attending the Trogland meetup in Tennessee

Wow... just wow... older brother forgetting about his younger brother? My god.

KuReshtin
2015-05-21, 04:52 AM
Wow... just wow... older brother forgetting about his younger brother? My god.

Stop yer whining, wee'un. :smalltongue:

Dr. Bath
2015-05-21, 07:45 AM
I've met a few people on here (or who were on here) at various points, but multi-year absences probably mean I don't necessarily know them as they are now.

2015-05-21, 07:23 PM
My dad's been on here longer than I have, but he's been a lot less active, from what I can tell.my better half joined up a while back as well, but she doesn't really do much on here.

Lonely Tylenol
2015-05-21, 09:27 PM
I know of three, all of them who have been in groups I've DMed, all of whom I knew before I ever knew they were Playgrounders. (One of whom I know was actually prompted to join the Playground by myself, or relating to something in one of my games. The other two frequent PbP.)

Milo v3
2015-05-22, 01:52 AM
I know 4 people, but none of them are very active.

FinnLassie
2015-05-22, 02:56 AM
I have about 4 friends that roam on GitP (active or not) that I didn't meet through a GitP meet up, and one of them is my very close friend. :smallsmile:

They all live in Scotland, though... and I do not, anymore. :smallfrown:

Sylthia
2015-06-14, 07:56 AM
I'm married to one: Shekinah.

I know many of my Tabletop group read OotS, and they introduced me to it, but as far as I know, they don't have accounts. Heck, I just read the comic for years before posting anything on the forums.

Chambers
2015-06-14, 08:55 PM
My wife has an account here but it's been years since she's posted anything. Don't even remember her username. :smalleek:

Hey, I live in Nashville! Where/when is this meetup happening?

KuReshtin
2015-06-15, 07:35 AM
Hey, I live in Nashville! Where/when is this meetup happening?

More info is on this very forum, in the Trogland Meetup (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?399012-Trogland-IX-Are-you-a-bad-wolf-too) thread. :smallcool::smallbiggrin:

Lord Torath
2015-06-18, 08:40 AM
No one that I know of. My kids read the comics, and I've got a cousin, niece, and nephew who also read, but none of them are on the forum. I'm only an hour or so away from Mahonri Violist, though (depending on traffic).

Amidus Drexel
2015-06-28, 02:19 AM
I've met a few. Ran into a guy freshman year who saw me goofing off on here in class and we talked about D&D for a bit. I also know a couple people IRL who... probably have accounts here. At the very least, they used to be frequent browsers of the forums.

Milo v3
2015-06-28, 02:59 AM
I once meet someone who apparently knew me from making a homebrew class on this forum... how they found out I made it I will never know.

enderlord99
2015-06-29, 11:53 AM
...Isn't this thread basically "External Baggage Posts: The Thread"