PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Favored Class Bonus for Fighter Question...

anoblewolf
2015-04-25, 10:19 PM
I am building a Tiefling Fighter, the question is should I go with +1 HP or +1 Skill point.

The HP seems logical as it will keep me alive longer.

On the other hand I will only be getting 2 skill points per level.

Thank you for your advice.

Lord_Gareth
2015-04-25, 10:25 PM
In terms of being able to play more of the game, the skill point is ultimately going to be more helpful. Fighters have pretty decent HP (and you did snag a Con of 14 or higher, yes?) already, and +1/level isn't really going to save you from anything. The skill points, on the other hand, can be used to snag stuff to do out of combat, or to pick up a valuable defensive skill like Perception.

Geddy2112
2015-04-26, 12:11 AM
Since you probably dumped intelligence, I would take the extra skill point every time. You have a D10 hit dice and decent con(I hope) but you might have a negative in intelligence, particularly if you took one of the variant bloodlines. The oni, quippoth and demonborn bloodline all boost strength, and the last two tank int.

You won't notice that +1 to +20 HP on top of your large HP boost, but you will notice ranks in a skill vs no ranks. As Gareth said, skills give you more opportunity to play the game in and out of combat.

Spore
2015-04-26, 12:34 PM
You have the second best HD, probably decent Con and next to no way to contribute out of combat. You should probably invest in skills...

but you might have a negative in intelligence

This is another thing you should never ever do on a fighter if you can avoid it. I would rather dump wisdom than intelligence (it dumps your will save but your will save isn't great to begin with and has to be covered by magical items anyhow).

Generally I would mix Rogue and Fighter or go true classed refluffed Ranger before going Fighter any day of the week. Or Barbarian. It says too much about your class when the savage warrior from the north is better at fighting than the archetypical class designed for it.

Ssalarn
2015-04-26, 12:57 PM
Skilllllzzzzz.....

Definitely skills. The hit points will be negligible and hit point defenses are one of the Fighter's strong points anyways. Load up on extra skill points so you're capable of participating in more of the game.